Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2.6 is out (and free!)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Samantha, Oct 28, 2009.

1. jashan

jashan

The way I see it, the complaints come from something that is completely irrational and beyond any reason, mostly driven by emotions that the people having those emotions cannot properly decode. In my opinion, those who complain say nothing about Unity, or Unity Technologies - they just give an insight to their incapability of seeing the value they are being offered (and I do make a difference between "complaining" and "constructive criticism" which I have also seen).

I do see the point that having the upgrade offer only for two months might be a little harsh on some people who are not in the position to afford the update within those two months. I think it would be very cool to extend that duration until maybe mid 2010 ... but ... then, there will be people complaining even more that it's just "an evil trick" (tm) of UT to squeeze more money out of the 3.0 update. And that's the problem: Those people who always find something to complain about and prove how they are "the victim" (tm) take away the chances for others who do see the value. Think about it: Would *you* extend the offer after this ugly mess? I wouldn't.

The way I see it, a few people mistake UT for a corporate business that only has money on its mind. Of course, the guys and girls working at UT and running UT want to make a living, so they have to do business and that does include smart marketing. But if you talk to any of them for just a few minutes, you'll realize that what *really* drives them is not greed but the passion of creating software that enables other people to express their creativity. The way I perceive them they're primarily fascinated with creating possibilities for other people.

Now, what could be more generous than that? And now that Unity is free - no one who can afford a somewhat decent computer is excluded anymore (see the list of "free tools" zumwalt posted somewhere). Man, this touches my heart!

2. Sakar

Sakar

While X < 1000
    {
    print "Thank you!";
    }

Now I can start making all those games I had lying around. Thank you so much UT!

3. jonaphin

jonaphin

You do realize you're in an infinite loop of "Thank you!"s, right? :p

4. Sakar

Sakar

Lol, oops. Oh well, they deserve it anyways. Without this I'd still be stuck doing nothing all day.

5. Jestertales

Jestertales

Hmm, I don't know about that. Maybe I would. Maybe that's not necessary. Most of the people that have written "constructive criticism" only had one simple question: Will they still get the "normal" 200$ discount in the new year?
    I think answering that question would have stopped the ugly mess pages ago.

Then what is additonally firing up the rage are the people that are always telling the people how generous the offer is. If you read the post carefully, there is a lot of hassle with this word - everyone has another definition what "generous" is. Especially combined with the sentence that this is "to show our (UT's) appreciation". Well, I must admit that my definition of generous is not met by this offer, but this is not UT's wording... so, they made an offer and showed their appreciation. When some people get angry about that, because they worked hard for the money and have to save the money for a long time (especially during this times) I can understand them.
    So it would be good to cool everything down by not always outlining how "generous" this offer is and agree that everybody has his own definition.
    For me giving away 2.6 for free is definitely generous. The iPhone offer is also generous for me. The Pro offer is not. Well at least for me :) But this might be because I have the pleasure of updating more than one costly software every year (and thank god some companys are generous) so Unity-Pro-only-updater and i-make-a-lot-of-money-with-my-games-people might have a different point of view.

6. EricJ13

EricJ13

LOL, maybe not... X could have been assigned a value of >= 1001. I guess it depends on your oppinion of this whold free Unity 2.6 thang.

7. Vimalakirti

Vimalakirti

Since you all have been arguing, I've made this asset from scratch. Modeled, rigged, skinned. Doncha think yall might want to quit complaining and make some games?

Attached Files:

8. holmeren

holmeren

@Vimalakirti

/clap
    :D
    /thumbs up

9. highscores

highscores

Please don't think I am complaining or anything, all I want to know is that my initial investment in a Unity indy licence is still valid.

Jestertales wrote:
    I asked this question a couple of days ago and as far as I know no one has actually answered it.

If the upgrade from Unity indy licence options suddenly dissappear from the Unity web site I do think that indy users will have a reason to complain, if not then I see nothing wrong with the current situation.

I just hope someone will be able to clarify this from Unity on monday, if in the initial post they had added,

a lot of the anger people would might have been avoided.

10. owensd

owensd

Well, since you can still upgrade to Unity Pro from Indie v1.x, then it would make sense that you'll be able to continue to do so with with Indie v2.x. However, you might not get the additional discount they are giving right now.

11. bloodtiger10

bloodtiger10

yea! time to install this on all my computers :D all 3

12. briancarroll

briancarroll

I've been playing with the new 2.6 version for a couple of days now, and I can really feel the speed boost when testing. I've been drilling down on elements in the new profiler, and I like how I can step through each frame after the fact and see what was running when.

Thanks for the free update Unity .. this should keep me busy for quite a while. I am sure I haven't found all the new stuff yet.

I'd really like to experiment with the new loading features which were rolled in from fusionfall. Is there a tutorial / guide which demonstrates how to take advantage of those new features? (mainly the ability to create a grid of scenes/levels, and have them streamed in as a background process as the user moves around the current level)

Thanks!

Brian

13. Discord

Discord

I'm also interested in this. I read that these features were added with 2.6, but I didn't see anything about how to implement them.

14. Robz

Robz

UNITY PLEASE RECONSIDER

Before anyone flames please conciser there are two main points of view in the forum, first UNITY free is great value “How can you not see that” and secondly I know UNITY free is great value and I can see that, BUT I was a paid customer who has lost money “how can you not see that”

I agree unity free is great for the greater good of man, however i fall into the second school of thought

1.Refund to those within 60 days (GREAT)
    2.Discount for those out of the 60 days for unity iphone or pro (GREAT)
    3.Nothing for those out of the 60 days with unity indie and iphone basic (who do not want pro) NOT SO GOOD
    4.Unity free is great and its value can not be questioned from version 2.6

Would you (UNITY) conciser giving the same deal to customers outside the 60 days who already have unity indie and/or iphone basic. I am not suggesting a cash refund rather credit towards any product they purchase or upgrade with Unity Technologies.

E.G. A Unity Indie license “owner” has been offered Iphone Basic for $150, however if a Unity Indie license owner already has Iphone Basic credit their account with the same discount, effectively making the renewal of the Iphone Basic version 2 = $150.

This will have no financial implications on Unity Technologies within the current version and will also improver customer retention between versions.

PS I know there are other combinations, but the basic idea remains the same across all.

15. jashan

jashan

I agree to that. Like, if you were not really interested in Unity "for desktop" but had to get Unity Indie to get the iPhone version, that may have already been a bit difficult. I think that's actually one of the reasons why making Unity free really rocks - it simply smooths that edge out.

So, I think it would definitely be a really sweet move if Unity iPhone basic users (who had to get Unity Indie just to get there) could get a discount on the next major upgrade (maybe as a surprise when that update's available!? ;-) ... you know what it's like: no expectations make it much easier to come up with a pleasant surprise ;-) ).

16. simonre

simonre

I bought an Apple Personal LaserWriter years ago and it cost a small fortune. Still works but now - get this - the equivalent is almost free! Do you think Apple will give me a refund as I paid a lot of money for it years ago? And the Volvo... don't get me started. Thousands...

I have Unity indie and iphone basic - no chance of me going to Pro this year (even if I hide the credit card bills). My request would be, can I swap the $400 discount on the pro version for a Unity mug? (no pun intended) :)

BTW: all good.

17. Slayer5150

Slayer5150

Not if he has X change in another thread :p

18. seventhsynergy

seventhsynergy

I very much doubt that your laser writer value went to $0 61 days after purchase.

Your Volvo probably depreciated to 30% of original new car price over 3 to 5 years.

Also comparing hardware costs with software costs is not that straight forward.
    I'm not even sure if Indie licenses are transferrable, so its possible that the resale was $0 from the time of purchase. However this differs from the value which you accountant and the tax office place on items which are deemed to be "Capital expenditure"

In the case of Unity Indie the value has dropped by 100% in 61 days.

What you are actually saying is that $200 US is a very small percentage of your overall cashflow or overall capital expenditure and therefore has little impact on your business.

Consequentally, users in high wage earning 1st world counties will not feel significant impact of this change. People in developing countries will feel that the original expenditure of $300 is significant as it may equal 1 or more weeks salary.

19. bloodtiger10

bloodtiger10

guys just stop complaining please. I mean just be happy that if you have indie you won't have to pay for the 3.0 upgrade and I mean they could of made you guys pay for 2.6 so I mean just get over it. There is no point to ths you are just waiting your time.

*ducks and runs before objects start being throw at him and people start flaming*

I know this may sound a bit harsh but I mean if they didn't do this you'll have to pay for 3.0 and 4.0 and so on but your purchase saved you those costs and over time as unity matures you will actually make a profit from this (well save more money then you paid for). so I mean yeah if you got untiy 62 days ago sure complain but I mean UT is being very very very generous even to offer a refund.

20. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Thanks for the support, and sorry that we've not been back to respond to this thread faster. The Unity Developer Conference just wrapped up and everyone was first busy, then busy and exhausted.

Then, since company is spread out over 5+ offices all around the world and we only get together a couple of times per year, we spent Saturday in a few all-hands sessions (doing a post-mortem of the Unity 2.6 release and other company discussions), and ended up with a group photo and a group dinner.

Today I've spent the last couple of hours reading up on the forum reactions. Overwhelmingly the forums (and the rest of the web, and twitter) are positive. Thank you for that, and we are very excited too.

But there's also some people who are frustrated or upset. Some questions have simply gone unanswered for too long and I'll address those here and then be available for further discussion.

What is harder for me to swallow is that a lot second-guessing about our motives and future decisions has happened, with some really pessimistic guesses.

In the past we've always tried to be as nice to our users, including a 5 month free upgrade window from Unity 1.x to 2.x, very reasonable pricing when going from 1.x to 2.x, and always making sure that Unity Indie (and now plain Unity) are commercially viable licenses allowing hobbyists and indies to actually make money from their work. There's so much to do in the future, but we intend to stay our course and stay true to our vision of empowering a very broad range of people to do great things.

Will I still be able to upgrade to Unity Pro for $1300 after December 31st?

This question had most worried. It arose because of some unfortunate wording and because of the fact that our website isn't ready for when the extra offer expires (don't worry, we'll get there).

The answer is that we will naturally honor the $199 you originally paid towards an upgrade to Unity Pro 2.x. The offer that was sent out was for an additional $200 towards the upgrade if done this year.

Will Unity get worse support because of this?

It is entirely possible that our support can have some congestion from time to time. But overall this will be net positive for us. A much larger base of knowledgeable developers who know Unity are around now, and there's more and more tutorials, scripts that are shared on the unifycommunity.com wiki, and now even a book. The amazing thing about knowledge is, that like software, it scales well: more people consuming it don't make it run out.

But we know that with a scaling userbase, more resources are required. And we have them. On the one hand we've recently launched answers.unity3d.com to help out (we plan more "software solutions" over time), and on the other we've recently hired a full time employee Andy Stark aka Andeeee to make sure that these forums are well tended, and that hard questions get answered by our best engineers (not to mention that many of our old hands still spend time here too).

Will Unity Indie users now be treated like non-paying users?

Strictly speaking, yes. But we don't intend to tier our users into two (or more) groups, just as we've never previously tiered people into Unity Pro and Unity Indie users.

In our interactions with our users we usually don't ask which license do you use, and we like people based on how nice and cool they are, and how much the bring to the community. For example we were big fans of Emil Johansen aka AngryAnt's AI work (as well as great community presence) and never minded that he "only" owned a Unity Indie license. In the end we hired him because he'd become an expert in Unity.

Will more users of Unity somehow devalue the product?

It's been a while since Unity was really an exclusive thing, yet I remember when there were just a few dozen users and we celebrated (with bread and water) for each new one. Before we launched Unity 2.6 and free Unity we had over 13,000 users all over the world, and though we have a lot more now we're still under 100,000 :)

But as has been stated by many in the thread above, the value of Unity has been increasing over time, all the while the price has dropped we kept improving the product, adding features and optimizing the engine (we originally charged $249 for Unity Indie, then for a long time we charged $199, and now $0).

This spring we added Windows deployment as a free new feature, and with Unity 2.6 this week we added a beautiful animation system plus lots of smaller but lovely additions. Also everything is around 20% faster now (and this isn't the first time we improve speed by a substantial factor either).

But the most important thing is this: when we started out, anyone adopting Unity was at a disadvantage. Not because of Unity itself, but because of other's perception of it. Game publishers would go "Unity what?" if you mentioned the engine, or maybe just "risky!" Web portals would say "an unproven plugin?". No prospective employer would recognize that your "Unity experience" was valuable. And recruiting for a Unity position or a Unity based hobbyist team would be all but impossible.

We've worked very hard, and today using Unity is an advantage. People know that big companies have "risked" projects with Unity, and that therefore it's safe to use on even large projects. The plugin has a distribution going on 20 million. Dozens of companies are searching for people with solid Unity experience. And although finding someone for your team who knows Unity is still hard (these people are in demand!), it'll only get easier from here.

Why such a big discount towards Unity iPhone Basic?

This is one that can be sliced several different ways. What we wanted to achieve was to offer Unity Indie owners something meaningful. In both cases the staring point was that we wanted to start with crediting the original purchase of $199 towards an upgrade. That meant that the Unity Pro upgrade would be $1300 and that the Unity iPhone Basic upgrade would be $200. Then we wanted to add something on top of that. In the case of Unity Pro that was $200 and in the case of Unity iPhone Basic that was $50. That's 15% on Unity Pro and 25% on Unity iPhone Basic. Nothing earth-shattering, but also not insignificant for most people.

Of course this can be (and has been in this thread) sliced any number of ways (one way of calculating it had the Unity iPhone Basic offer being 4x larger than the Unity Pro one). It's hard to make everyone happy at the same time, but at the very least and importantly: one way or another, everyone involved is better off today than a week ago.

How could you take my money when you knew Unity Indie would be free?

Actually the final decision to make a free license was taken less than 60 days ago. The idea was much older of course (it's a question that any software developer asks himself at some point), but we honestly didn't feel sure that was the right decision until recently.

When is Unity 3.0 coming?

Official answer: no comment. True answer: we don't know. We're working hard as always, and have lots of important stuff in development. What is certain that it's more than a few months out, and that we'll be reasonable when it comes to upgrades and pricing.

Be nice to each other, and all the best from a quiet evening in San Francisco.

21. briancarroll

briancarroll

Discord,

I've been playing around some more, and although I haven't found an implementation or example of implementing a grid of levels, I think the new features are these two functions in the API reference which I don't remember from before. API History says they were newly added in 2.6

LoadLevelAdditiveAsync
    http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/Application.LoadLevelAdditiveAsync.html

LoadLevelAsync
    http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/Application.LoadLevelAsync.html

I remember that their non-async versions were there before 2.6. These two async functions are for Unity Pro only. I did also find this thread, where others are working on using one of these functions.

http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=35101&highlight=loadlevelasync

Thanks

Brian

22. AaronC

AaronC

Great post David, thank you very much.

I feel very priviledged to have seen Unity grow so much, I was onboard for the 1.2 release, and seeing that latest competition thread fully blows me away with what people can do.

Keep up the good work.

AaronC

23. jashan

jashan

Awesome posting, David - I hope that clarifies things for everyone! I really enjoyed Unite 2009 and am looking forward already to Unite 2010 (back in Europe? ;-) ). And to celebrate the day, I just thought it would be cool to pull out my all-time favorite thread in this forum:

Overcome with Emotion *Weep* - for all those new folks to get a bit of the good old spirit of these forums. And mind you: That was originally related to Unity 1.6 - a looohng time ago: one full major version (we're at 2.6 now), and more than 2.5 years (btw, that was about the time when I found out about Unity but at that time I didn't have a Mac so it took until 2.0 for me to paddle into that wave ;-) ).

Greetings from "the one who swims with the dolphins" (this morning - yeeeha! - they were there), currently chillin' out on Hawaii ;-)

24. Tom163

Tom163

Thanks for the reply, David.
    Feeling better now.

25. highscores

highscores

Agreed, thanks for the reply.

26. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

And as someone attending live to the keynote speech I could only tell you that it was a moment of getting goosebumps when David said on stage "There is no more Unity indie from now on".

Total silence in the audience.

"There is a new product from now on called Unity and it's free!".

That was like igniting a mega-bomb. Booooom. What? Free? Really awesome, a big moment. A big step ahead on UT's way to democratize game development. Well done David and crew, that was a big moment and I really enjoyed it!

Martin

27. Alex_R

Alex_R

Thank you Unity guys!! This is a big step for humanity!! And a new era for Internet in 3D for everyone!! :D

28. rockerolf

rockerolf

Wow, I was shocked when I heard Unity Indie has become free. Amazing goodwill from the Unity developers, and we'll definitely make use of the generous discount for pro. I'm starting to wonder how you guys are generating enough revenue :p

As for the people that are complaining, I really can't understand what you're thinking. Demanding a refund because a product has been discounted or free months after your purchase is unreasonable. The offer to get a refund if you purchased within two months, and the pro upgrade discount are both very generous.

Thanks!

29. Tzan

Tzan

Thanks for the answers!

30. Jestertales

Jestertales

pssst... there was no complaining after David's post so don't start it again :)

I just wanna say a BIG THANK YOU to David for posting the good news. With the possibility to upgrade to Pro after 01/01/2010 there is not much left to worry about.

So...
    WELCOME NEW UNITY-Users :)

31. Wadoman

Wadoman

Thank you David for the clarification I was looking for. My only concerns were with the upgrade time and the unfortunate wording in the offer. I was happy to upgrade either way, but thank you for your post.

32. grfxman

grfxman

Well I bought Unity Pro and iPhone basic last week. I wonder if I could get a credit towards iPhone advanced down the road? Since my wallet is currently empty

:)

33. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Yes. The upgrade towards Unity Pro is just that, since Unity Pro is required for Unity iPhone Advanced.

d.

34. cheezorg

cheezorg

Thanks very much for clarifying things David. The growing concern of "what happens to my normal upgrade credit ($200 off Pro) after Jan 1st" has been answered, and it's nice to hear some of the thoughts behind the move to free.

Concerning this bit:

The reason I originally figured this as a 4x % discount (62.5% vs 15%) for iPhone over Pro, is because a $200 credit towards Pro is the standard, everyday deal. I knew, buying Indie, that I could upgrade anytime to Pro for $1300 (which btw, I do feel has always been generous, and thanks for continuing this after Jan 1st).

To a paid Indie user the normal, everyday price of Pro is $1300. The promo offer considers this a discount, essentially replacing a discount that was already in place.

For iPhone Basic, however, the $200 discount is a new deal. So at this point in the process - Pro is still the normal $1300 while iPhone has been discounted from $400 to $200.

... which allowed Pro to catch up with the $200 on discount on iPhone, while offering an additional $50 off of iPhone.

That makes the Pro discount $200 total and the iPhone discount $250. Considering the much higher cost of Pro, it hit me as a surprise that iPhone would get a bigger discount than Pro. (If anything, I would think the offers would be the same $ amount). Regarding my percentage numbers: $200 is 15% of $1300. $250 is 62.5% of $400.

I promise I'm not trying to be a pain the *ss, a hater or problem creator. This FANTASTIC news for Indie users buying iPhone Basic. I love Unity and my wife and friends would even call me a fanboy. I realize everyone is getting tired of the back and forth, I just had to defend my math because I believe it is right.

OK, that's all from me. Gotta get back to coding.

:D

35. grfxman

grfxman

Well I'm still not clear. I purchased Unity Basic a year ago. Then I just purchased Pro and iPhone basic before this sale. So I'm not sure I recieving any benifit from this price reduction since I paid the full price for all 3 apps.. But I am happy to see Unity sweep in a take a very strong position in the market. :)

36. Discord

Discord

@briancarrol. Thanks for that info. I'll look into it.

37. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

We couldn't make everyone benfit (directly and financially) from this event short of sending every customer of ours a $200 check, so that's correct.

Thanks for the support, and I'm glad you understand that this is going to be good for Unity, and therefore for all of us here. Exciting times ahead.

d.

38. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Nope, you've got it wrong. :)

If you own Unity Indie, and you paid $199 for it then:

1. Your "pre all this mess" upgrade price was $1300.

2. Your "after all this mess" upgrade price, good until the end of this year (2009), is $1099.

So folks ARE getting a $200 discount, this isn't a bait-and-switch where we offering nothing of real value. You're getting the original upgrade price MINUS an additional $200.

39. Wadoman

Wadoman

@Higgy Yeah I think the confusion is from the deal stating a $400 discount on the upgrade. So that would have been $900 instead of the $1099. Now with the clarification from you guys its a $200 discount, which Im ok with.

40. Dreamora

Dreamora

Its actually a $400 discount on the upgrade, because the upgrade from Unity is $1499, so $400 = $1099

As a discount from Unity Indie, it would be $200 (+ the $199 payed for Unity Indie), but discounts are measured against existing Products only at least normally

41. cheezorg

cheezorg

Hmm... fair enough.

I understand that the promo price is $1099, and I understand this is a $200 discount from the normal price of $1300.

I think I discovered the root of my own personal "issue" with this, and it may say more about me than it does about the merits of the offer. My issue is that the iPhone deal is better than the Pro deal ($250 off vs $200 off). Since Pro costs much more, it seems backwards (at the least they should be the same $ off).

Repeatedly, the amount of $1500 has been presented as the price of Pro, which, for paid-Indie users this amount is irrelevant. Even in David's post, $1500 was the starting point, when the starting, everyday price should have been $1300. At one point, based on Nick's post, I thought the intention was to give $400 off the Pro upgrade and $250 off iPhone - and that someone mistakenly took the $400 discount off the wrong amount. That made sense in my head given the comparative price points of the products.

So my real problem is that Unity was TOO generous in its discount of iPhone, making my intended upgrade to Pro feel like the short end of the deal. A flat $200 across-the-board discount would have felt more logical. This is a personal issue and I just need to get over it.

I know you guys are sick of me, and I apologize profusely for being a pain in the neck.

:roll:

42. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Ok, we'll reel in that extra generosity next time. :p No, no we won't. We'll offer great deals as we see fit, even if at times it's not 100% evenly balanced (as long as everyone gets a good deal though!).

That's a negative right there, you're asking for clarity and we're here to provide it. Nobody is sick of anyone, we're all in this together as without us y'all don't have Unity, without you we don't have customers.

43. cheezorg

cheezorg

Thanks Higgy, that's why we love you man. :D

44. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Thanks for chiming in and helping dispel the confusion everyone (a lot of it was my fault and all of it was our fault... thing have moved very fast lately).

PS. We love you all too :)

d.

45. crafTDev

crafTDev

Where is the IRC channel?

I also wonder if we can get a discount on another iPhone license since we bought the Indie a year ago...

46. angel38

angel38

Hello David,

Congratulation is a big Step.

But... I still feel disappointed and I do not trust in Unity Team.

Maybe tomorrow I will lost my money with Unity Pro.

I bought 4 licenses indie, and I feel I was treated like dirt with their offers.

Im tired for fighting. A user is negligible compared to thousand.

47. owensd

owensd

http://unity3d.com/support/community

Look at the Unity Chat section.

48. sleekit

sleekit

The upgrade from Unity for me would be $1499 so -$400 = $1099 then $1099 + 25% euro tax = $1373.75
    and thats £835.10 in real money

49. xandeck

xandeck

As I followed what cheezorg said, that's good news for me too. PRO is under way for my development :D
    My real concern was about the $200 discount for the PRO...

But something is not clear to me (I saw diferent posts about this): iPhone Basic is for UNITY PRO only? Or can I buy iPhone Basic to use with UNITY Indie?

Thank guys again.

50. cheezorg

cheezorg

You can Use iPhone Basic with Unity Indie, no problem! :)