Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2.6 is out (and free!)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Samantha, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Dreamora

Dreamora

its an image based effect in the pro assets (SSAO effects.cs and corresponding shader)

2. OXYGEN

OXYGEN

Unity Indy being Free great news!

Unity 2.6 again great News!

Upgrade Announcement....either way they served this one up they were going to face flack

I am sure The Unity team sweated blood to deliver the 2.6 version for the Unite conference and now there hard work is being overshadowed with negative noise... some with merit some without

In my view Unity Tech placed themselves in a tricky situation if they lowered the upgrade price dramatically for Pro to coincide with the free Unity offer The chatter on this announcement would be from disgruntled Pro users shouting off that they just purchased Pro Version for the full price and now they want Refunds....But I do feel to head off some of the Negative feed back Unity Tech should offer the upgrade period to Pro for existing Unity Indy users to at least six months instead of the End of the year.....

However I feel the Damage has been done and Unity have lost a lot of good will from there initial announcement.

3. sleekit

sleekit

Even if I had the money to upgrade to Unity Pro I still would not do it as I no longer trust UT.

4. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

Some thoughts to those people complaining about the move to make Unity free:

I do understand people feel disappointed when they spent money for something which they can later have at a lower value (in this case zero). But, since we are giving a refund to anyone who purchased Unity in the past 60 days, if you are hit by this, you got at the very least 60 days of value out of your purchase. Where those 60 days worth a 200$ purchase for you? I'm sure for many they were. Some people developed games in Unity which made a fortune in less time then that. Even if you don't think they were, expecting any IT-related purchases to retain their value over the years is just unrealistic, and you know that.

Also, think of it this way: The actual value (ie, what you get out of it) of you Unity product just got better: You get several new features and significant performance boosts in Unity 2.6. And, by making Unity free, you can expect the market for Unity developers to grow, so you will have a larger user base (web player installations) to deploy to, and an increasing amount of community resources and business opportunities coming up.

5. InternetCodesmith

InternetCodesmith

<commentary style="meandering thoughts">
    I just switched to Unity from Garagegames, where I have invested several thousands of dollars over the years (I initially bought Torque at version 1.0). I purchased Unity Indie (to begin with, $200 investment) on October 26th, so I could learn to use it, then upgrade to Iphone basic to put out some first games. I bought a Mac ($1700.00 investment). I joined the Apple Developer programs ($100 investment). 2 days later I get an email saying I can now get the iPhone upgrade for $150 USD.

Am I griping about it? HECK NO. To proceed with Garagegames to add iphone development support, would have cost me a MINIMUM of $600 to do 2D only games. When I came to Unity, it would be $600 for the full investment in the 'basic' version...now I have it for under $400.00.

Unity, thank you. I am hoping that you will not become another dollar mill like Garagegames has turned out to be...every new release means another $500 to $1200 now. I don't mind paying for upgrades, as long as they are reasonable and relative. (Dreamora, you did NOT read this...I still want realmcrafter pro for free ;-) )

The Unity tools are better, more integrated, and flow more reasonably than GG stuff. Yeah, there are things about TGEA and TGB that are great, but I have found Unity to be easier to prototype, by a long shot.

If you want to develop games, and you are in it for profit, you have to look at it as an investment and plan for your ROI, and then do the work. You want to get paid, why shouldn't Unity...oh wait, they just made it where you can get paid for their work for free!
    </commentary>

6. runningbird

runningbird

OMG this is so awesome I've been reviewing the trial and am moving from my current engine to Unity.
    I was getting ready to purchase the indie until I got an early Present for the holidays.

Thank you so much.

7. ader

ader

I have mixed feelings on all this.
    I have Unity Indie and Unity iPhone Basic - bought early this year.
    I was thinking about upgrading to iPhone advanced (I never use Unity Indie and am only interested in developing against iPhone).

Last week the cost for me to upgrade to advanced was €2198 if bought as one purchase via the store or €1899 if bought in two upgrade transactions.

This week the cost for me to upgrade will be €1848 with the discount and bought as one purchase - or €1549 if bought as two separate upgrades. (excluding the 25% euro tax).

Will a small €350 discount sway me to upgrade? Not likely given that it it won't even cover the extravagant euro tax I have to pay on top and that it might be free in six months time... After all I don't actually "need" it yet, I'd just like it.

Further, last week my Unity Indie software was an asset of my business, now it is not.

I paid € for Unity Indie + Unity iPhone - now my new competitors will be able to compete with me for less outlay/investment. cheers.

Then again, I have had my money's worth from what I purchased. Also, if I knew back in february that Unity Indie would be free in November, I reckon I would still have bought it rather than waiting. I can't say the same for Pro Advanced though - I'll probably upgrade eventually but it isn't worth it to me yet.

8. tonyd

tonyd

Agreed. 'End of year' sounds great... until you realize it's almost November, and the Christmas season is fast approaching.

Give us until April, and we can use our Tax Refunds! :)

9. Tzan

Tzan

So I bought it 66 days ago.
    Worked with it for 2 weeks, then got swamped with regular work 7 days a week.

I have no need for Pro right now and even 6 months from now I still wont need it. So forget the special discount offer.

Lets talk about the original deal:
    So the original deal was, buy Indie and get a $200 discount on Pro. Will this deal still be honored?

Or will I have no upgrade discount at all on Pro after Dec 31?

Non official guesses don't count :)

10. Slayer5150

Slayer5150

I would like to know this too. IMO, having purchased Indy and agreeing to those terms, we should be allowed a $200 discount on pro forever (grandfathered in). If they need to recoup costs, just jack the price up by $200 for anyone who didn't buy Unity Indy (but this would mean existing people who purchased it would need a $400 discount).

Basically when we purchased Indy, we were told that we could save $200 when upgrading at a later time. This allows us to use Unity and then purchase pro only when needed, and the discount would be there. I see no reason why this $200 discount should ever disappera, it was what we agreed to.

11. Seer

Seer

I have to agree. Indie users should at least be given upgrade discount WHENEVER they want to upgrade to pro in the future, not some bullshit limit you guys came up with.

I am fine with it coming out for free but at least let us upgrade whenever we want. Like I said before, all the "investment" talks means jack if you aren't loaded with cash to spend on every software you come across online.

I bought it 63 days ago myself and instead of refund am being told to buy expensive Pro version (considering most of us are learning the app, who would wanna take the risk? especially after this..) or buy iPhone app which is worthless for even more of us (who don't have iPhone to test the games made for it or never want to make anything for it).

Give us at least the choice of upgrading to Pro (see, you aren't going to get cheated out of money if we actually pay you more later on) whenever Indie users want instead of setting up a small deadline.

EDIT: Also, the download link isn't working for some of x64 Windows users no matter which browser is used. We need mirrors.

12. Bursar

Bursar

13. Rainville

Rainville

Quick question to those with Unity Indie that are getting the refund:

Do we simply have to reply to the email? That is all I did and it said that we should be patient.. no problem there. That said, will we receive an email confirming that the money has been placed back in our account? I think I payed with PayPal... how would the refunding work in that case?

14. xandeck

xandeck

I planned to buy Unity PRO in last january week of 2010. Is it possible for the UT keep the discount at this date?

I think is fair enough.

15. angel38

angel38

Hey Guys, Do not talk about the pocket of other person.

You do not know how is the economical situation, I bought 4 licences, and I have to upgrade for no loose my money. Where I get 4.000 US?? are you give me the money???

Unity Team steal my money and I can not do anything about that.

what I will do is take these 4 licenses and open my ass and put them inside

16. SteelX

SteelX

Upset is a small word to describe what i'm feeling, we spend some time to collect money and thus buy indie licence and now is free?.

I just feel swindled and i don't know if we can trust Uinity Team any more, really disappointed....

17. Death4Hire

Death4Hire

If I knew this was about to happen, I would have just donated my $200 to thousands of my fellow men here in the Philippines who lost their homes with the recent typhoon. I could've fed about 30 families with that amount of money. But no, Unity just took it away easily. People say it's just small money then why can't they return a small amount of money? This is disappointing. I used to promote Unity to the game community and urge them to get a license and this is what I get.

Some people here just live in places like they feel they can get their money anywhere. Not all places are like that in this world!

18. Merries

Merries

Folks please...work with your engine, put out some games, you will get your money returned more then the $200.00 you purchased it for.

Yes its alot of money to many people, but you forget you have the ability to make the engine and your efforts make you much more then that!

19. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Geeez people! Unity Tech. doesn't swindle and is not trying to rob anybody here. Unity Tech. is a company and not the Red-Cross. If you can't afford the PRO version then that's just life. If you make a living of creating games or game art then buying Unity Pro is "fairly" cheap compared to some other engines or even the 3D Package you're using.

Some of you guys act like it's a crime making something available for free. Yes it used to cost money and the money you've spend goes to development of new features and cool stuff people have been asking for.

It's really quite simple. You pay for the tools you need to make a living. A car mechanic has to buy tools in order to repair cars. A painter has to buy tools and paint to paint houses and THEREFOR a "Programmer" or "Artist" will have to pay for software in order to do his work. If it happens that a tool/software becomes free than that fact should make people happy.

Unity Tech. offers a refund and price cut to the PRO version so I don't understand the bitch fest here. Enough of my rant... I got work to do...using "Unity Pro"....

Thomas P.

20. Phil W

Phil W

You're not selling yourself very well there; if anything you come across as something of a hypocrite by calling younger folk out like that (who I actually find are quite intelligent and a darn sight more creative than many older wanna-be entrepreneurs).

If anyone has a problem understanding why Unity Basic is now free, or wants to know where Unity goes from here, Gamasutra has a nice interview with David Hegalson here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25840

21. angel38

angel38

That is Crap man, is not enough for me and a lot of people. Unity Steal ours money.

22. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

I've been lurking the forums for a while but here's for my first post..

I've gotta say I am amazed, stunned and completely blown away, I mean it's overwhelming. I'm an FPS Creator user but have been switching to Unity and have been blown away by the features. It was worth waay more than $200 as far as I was concerned, but to make it free? You guys are simply amazing!

23. Seer

Seer

THANK YOU, FINALLY.

All this PR talk aside, they could have just linked us to the damn link itself considering freeware = S***load of troubles.

Anyways, thanks for linking to the file.

PS: Even I don't agree with using the words like "stealing" and "thieves" for Unity devs. If you think this is stealing then you have no idea what GarageGames does.

Unity devs should let us upgrade to Pro anytime in the future, whenever most of us can afford it. Some of us will be happy with that. :)

24. ader

ader

I just had another thought.

If those of us who have paid for Unity products hadn't done so, UT wouldn't be able to use those funds to give away the product to everyone else. So thanks for taking my money and investing it in my competitors businesses rather than in the UT products that I would rather it was spent on enhancing/improving.

I'm assuming that if and when I pay to upgrade you'll be using more of my money to support and develop the free product that will be used by people to compete with me?

I'm not sure in time how the pro users will feel about having to pay to support the rest of the world - as let's face facts, the software may be free to end users - but it sure won't be free for UT to develop and support. It looks to me that either Unity will become obsolete, or Unity Pro will get more expensive - or some combination of the two.

25. angel38

angel38

Actually my discomfort is that Unity gave no real value to those who bought the engine. It could be a year for testing the Pro version or give out the iphone Basic.

Something we really happy.

UT stole ours money, please give me back.

26. Bursar

Bursar

You mean you didn't click on the 'Buy' button and voluntarily enter your credit card details?

27. drJones

drJones

wow, just wow.

anyway, great update UT ; )

28. tonyd

tonyd

No they didn't. You've had many months to put out a commercial product built in Unity and recoup your initial investment.

If you haven't done so, that's your problem... not Unity's.

29. OXYGEN

OXYGEN

Angel come on lets be realistic

Giveing away Iphone basic! Thats a bit to generous...Santa does not reside at Unity HQ....However giving Unity Indy users more time to upgrade to Pro at a reduced price sounds fair and gets my vote and as I said earlier I feel Unity should implement that policy as this thread is fast becoming a Public Relations Nightmare and more Importantly overshadowing the Great work That the Unity Team have put in to deliver 2.6

30. angel38

angel38

No. I mean that I pay for a software and the rest of people get free.

I correct it.

I was cheated.

31. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

Sorry, but this simply makes no sense.

-If you look at Unity 2.6, you will see that we spent plenty of resources into enhancing and improving Unity, even now that it is free.
    -If you are in any way serious about your business, then the head-start in experience you got should alone make up for your 200$ "loss against your competition".
    -As I pointed out above, having more Unity users out there should not really be seen as competition, as it will have many positive effects on the exiting user base (more users = better web player penetration = more potential customers).

32. DisTrash

DisTrash

If unity indie's user cannot be refund they could have access to the coupon reduction , from indie to pro all the time.

I feel sad because it's a loss of money i could put in another software to help me to progress.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

33. cheezorg

cheezorg

Look, Unity knew they would have to do damage control.

As a paid Indie user, I have ZERO issue with Indie being free (and many reasons to like it being free). ZERO ISSUES. NONE. NADA.

What I do have issue with is the way you're dressing up a MARKETING PUSH as CUSTOMER CARE. In situations like this, companies know they have to go above and beyond to keep the peace. It's part of doing business - expanding the user base while keeping your most valuable asset (current users) happy. Instead, they offered the BARE MINIMUM.

I have 3 issues with the "offer." Keep in mind that for a paid Indie user, a Unity Pro Upgrade normally costs $1300 and iPhone Basic costs $400.

1. The discount on Pro is weak.
    Nicholas wrote:
    "We are giving a 400$ discount on a Unity Pro upgrade."
    No you aren't. You are giving $200 off a Unity Pro upgrade. $400 would be a fair discount, and in line with "going above and beyond." Instead, you are saying, "Sure, we'll refund your money, but only if you buy Pro first. Gotcha!" Am I asking for a refund? Not at all. But if you're trying to show how much you care for your users, this isn't the way to do it.

2. The discount percentages are backwards.
    You're offering $200 off a $1300 product and $250 off a $400 product. Makes it pretty clear this is a marketing push to sell more iPhone licenses. At the very least, the discount should be the same, and by any rational logic the more expensive product would get the larger discount.

3. Limited Time Offer: Buy NOW!
    Limited Time Offers are used to motivate people to buy. Coupons, promotions, LTOs - it's all MARKETING to move more product. If you were truly looking out for existing users when you made this deal, you wouldn't have set such a quick deadline. I don't feel like I'm being taken care of, I feel like I'm being forced to make a quick decision - one that will cost me $1100 at the most expensive time of year.

HOW TO FIX IT:

1. Make the Pro discount $400 as promised by Nicholas. That truly is above and beyond. I would purchase the upgrade feeling like I got a good deal and it would be a nice "early adopter" reward. Also - it would put it more in line with the iPhone Basic discount percent.

--or--

2. Drop the Limited Time Offer act and simply issue Unity Store Credits for the previous value of Indie, redeemable anytime within the next year. It keeps the money flowing in your direction, while making me feel like you're actually taking care of your users, instead of trying to sell me something NOW.

BTW, the Jan 1 deadline SCREAMS "pad the 2009 bottom line" for our investors. Otherwise, why the quick deadline?

Like others, I'm also curious what happens if I don't upgrade before Jan 1. Do I have to pay $1500 for Pro on New Years Day?

Again, I have ZERO issues with Unity being free. But I'm frustrated that a such a blatant marketing attempt would be presented to me as customer care.

To Pro users and New users, I would say:
    chill out a bit with the name calling. It isn't about being greedy, cheap or EVIL. Sure, you can say "They didn't have to offer anything," but that is absolutely not true. They knew a discount offer to paid-Indie users would part of the transition. They knew it from day one. It's part of doing business. But instead of putting together an offer that shows they truly care about their users, they put together a marketing package intended to sell a bunch of product by the end of the year. That, and only that, is what frustrates me.

34. Phil W

Phil W

You have a really strange perspective.

UT are giving away their software. Have you not considered they're losing money on sales themselves?

They're doing this so that Unity - wether you paid for it or not - has increased value as a platform. If you want your money's worth, learn to use it and make money from it. Don't squander your energy convincing yourself that you've been robbed (when you haven't).

And when buying anything, remember the latin phrase caveat emptor - "buyer beware". That's not a warning that you're going to get ripped off; it's a reminder that markets and product values change.

Do you go into stores and ask for money back when they reduce the price of milk or food? Do you ask for a refund when that full-price game you bought is half the price a month after release?

35. angel38

angel38

Exactly, not only for a few of days.

36. Tom163

Tom163

Hmpf.

I have to agree with the folks who feel that making it free somehow reduces the perceived value of what we've paid for.

And the step has become even larger now. From $200 to $900 was something where I could say "one day, when I'm making money..." - now the step is from $0 to $1200 or whatever - almost twice as large.

Yes, it's still very cheap compared to almost every other game engine out there. But still.

How about some love for those of us in the middle grounds? Those who are not just hobbyists, but indie developers? Who have a budget, but it's small?

Can we at least get SVN support or shadows, or anything, really - something that gives us back the feeling that we paid for something and got something in return? I wouldn't go so far as to add an actual third Unity product inbetween "free" and "Pro", but essentially that's what I'd like to se.

"Pro" is too expensive for me and has lots of stuff I don't need. But "free" is too cheap for me and doesn't have all the stuff I want.

Third option, please?

37. angel38

angel38

This is Called marketing strategy, nothing is really free in this world. grouws up man.

38. OXYGEN

OXYGEN

Cheezorg what a great dissection of the Truth in my view you Hit The Nail on the Head Fairly and Firmly!
    Great Post!

39. Phil W

Phil W

Coming from someone who needs to grow up himself, that's rich.

You're more than welcome to bury yourself in your own misery. Please, carry on.

40. tonyd

tonyd

You know, I didn't consider this.

Are Indie users going to lose all upgrade options come New Years Day? Because THAT would irritate me.

41. Robz

Robz

unity iphone what next

I own a unity indie license which I purchased so I could get unity iphone basic.
    Now with unity (free) I only need to register the application - does this class as a license that can be used as per licensing below or will I need to get unity pro that has a license.
    If unity “free” allows licensing of unity iphone basic and I only need to keep upgrading my iphone license thing are not as bad I thought. I do not want to be paying thousands for iphone basic version 2+

Any info would be appreciated

Pricing and Licensing
    Unity iPhone Publishing is an additional per-seat license that supplements an already active Unity license. It allows an unlimited number of titles to be published.

Basic: $399 per seat
    Advanced: $1,499 per seat (requires Unity Pro)

42. Rainville

Rainville

ugh..
    because of the money that people have put into Unity, such as yourself, it has allowed UT to upgrade the software, even making a portion of it FREE to anyone. You have helped them create an even better, more accessible product.
    A lot of people are grateful for what you've contributed to.

43. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

A Unity iPhone Basic License will now cost you:
    $0 for Unity + $399 for iPhone Basic = $399

instead of
    $199 for Unity Indie + $399 for iPhone Basic = $598

if you have an existing Indie license, you are eligible for a 250$ discount on your iPhone Basic purchase, so you can upgrade for just $150.

44. angel38

angel38

Yes I was the stupid...

CONGRATULATIONS ANGEL AND YOUR PRIZE ISSSS... A BULK OF ...

45. ader

ader

I'm a Unity iPhone developer only - nothing in 2.5 or 2.6 is at present of any use or value to me.
    I couldn't care less about $200 to be honest (that's only a day's work to me) - I just don't see why in the future any pro purchases I make should theoretically hinder me by helping my competition.

For Unity web developers perhaps. For iPhone developers? No.

I also agree that this just smells like a marketing push to me - if "What's important is to get this in the hands of as many people as possible" then they would be making pro free too. The discount offer for existing Indie/Basic users is pretty lame imho - it doesn't even cover the sales tax - though UT can charge what they want - it's their product.

My (perhaps) last word on this subject though is that contrary to what might be perceived by my earlier posts - I don't fear competition - and this might just make me have to work harder to create better products - I have no problem with that end result.

I also hope this whole scenario won't result in people being less giving in the community...

46. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

I think everyone needs to consider that there are different groups of people effected by Unity Indie going free AND this 2.6 feature release.

1) Users who bought within 60 days - they are being taking care of and should have no complaints outside of what I mention in #2 below about features.

2) Users for whom $200 is not a large amount of money (I am in this category) - we have no complaints about it going free from a financial point of view but what I see here in 2.6 (and likely forward) is that now the feature separation will be greater and greater. We now get no SVN and no profiler. Where as previously (when we had a paid version) the only difference was some fancy effects, licencing and logo.

3) Users who struggled to get $200 or for who $200 is a lot of money - these are the people who are complaining in this thread. So those in Categories 1, 2 and Pro users will likely be annoyed with these people, but they do have the right to feel ripped off if that is how it appears to them. And we are not in their shoes and so cannot tell them not to feel hard done by. Though the reality is - this how things go in life and their choices, as a consumer, are to accept it or drop Unity and move on.

47. SteelX

SteelX

Then, UT should put a donate button on theirs page to get more money to help others to keep free version?, come on.

I think you must develop some version to include Asset server limited or SVN for all Indie who paid after 2.6 free version.

That ridiculous discount( and short time) for Pro version is not acceptable.( you make me laugh)

48. Robz

Robz

thank you Jonas, unfortunately i purchased both on 2009/07/28

49. xandeck

xandeck

I really have the same opinion... I dont want, at all, to give up Unity, and for free is really good... but the "deadline" to buy the PRO with discount is a shame... sorry...

50. Seer

Seer

Haha, join the club (date of purchase: 2009/07/28..)

Feels really good. They "drew the line" at 60 days, just our luck. :p

PS: Agree with everything cheezorg said. But I said the same thing before as well, somewhere in there with all the trolling from Pro and Free users.