Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2.6 is out (and free!)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Samantha, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Tempest

Tempest

No, you've misread it.

The store just says "IF" you have Pro, have the serial available. Not "You are required to have Pro."

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

OK, OK, fine. I assume you want that in small unmarked bills, too...grumble grumble....

Actually, it says "If you have an existing Unity Pro license, please have your serial number ready." They are offering a $250 discount to Indie owners who buy Unity iPhone before the end of the year, which kind of suggests that you don't need Unity Pro to get Unity iPhone Basic, but maybe that's just me getting confused again. ;)

--Eric

3. ugur

ugur

Congrats on releasing 2.6 and also making unity indie free! =)
    This is a very brave and generous move and i´m sure this news will spread quickly across the net (i´m doing my part =D ) and will make people take notice, lots and lots of developers and designers will jump on board, plugin penetration numbers will rise exponentially and all in all this should make your competition ashamed about their business policies and scared of what unity does next :D

And to those moaning despite the refund and rebate options: The unity guys have just once again proven how exceptionally smart, forward thinking and generous they are; if you have a particular special case where the refund is not applicable and you don´t want the rebate on the other versions either i suggest you talk with their support directly but yeah, no need to moan that others are getting something for free.

4. angel38

angel38

this is a robbery. Im very disappointed about Unity Team.

We buy 4 Indie licenses in May. And Now Unity Indie is free... and you dont give me a refund, because I was so stupid for buy you Indie Licence when was release?

What is wrong with you Unity Team? What is the deal for steal to you clients?

the consolation prizes is not enough for my Team and me and a lot of people, we made an investment and trust in you company, and how you pay?... like that... stealing our money.

Why you dont gift the Pro version to you loyal customers???

Why why not warn about this?

I feel cheated and helpless against this fact.

5. xixac

xixac

Gotta get that tattoo removed from my forehead that says "sucker". Apparently it is visible across the Atlantic.

So- UT is making the drift towards Windows as central platform - as expected. No new Mac specific features at all in 2.6 but overall lots of talk about C# and Visual Studio. Many Mac incompatibilities however (Snow Leopard, browser, etc.) Too bad the UT team has no access to pre-release system and tools from Apple like other developers do via ADC. They could have played with the new OS 16 months ago. Dang - caught them by surprise the whole thing.

Nothing new in the 2.6 Indie version apart from the reappearance of the animation timeline which had been taken out before. At least features weren't removed as in the iPhone "upgrade" 1.5 which is completely unusable due to bugs galore. But that's another story.

What I see here is a team that seems to work at a slow but steady pace improving things and adding new features and marketing that dictates release versions and schedules. There is no connection in the classical sense between version number and features at all. So the big thing with 2.6 is that the pro version adds some of the stuff the devs have been working on over the last year.

Giving away what we paid for just months ago is a strategy and the marketing guys could probably smell the money when they came up with it. Someone suggested that UT charge $50,000.00 for the pro version. Seems for many here, they might as well. The original spirit was rather neat in the sense that Indie and pro developers had a fairly equal set of tools - sort of a leveled playing field. The difference was mostly in licensing. That was very appealing. Many like myself probably thought - OK let's make some money and then get the pro version. Good deal.

Well, times are a-changin' and the bar has in fact been raised for Indie developers. Audiences are very jaded these days and you need every little oomph that shadows, better performance, etc can give you, because there is just so much competition. What was called Indie version has now de facto become what is otherwise known as "learning edition". It will in the future still garner some scraps from the big table, but essentially become irrelevant.

Seems like sometime in the future one of these so rightfully hated marketing guys will discover that there is demand for an in-between solution. Something that falls between free and $1500.00. Something with a good feature set that will give Indies a chance to compete. Maybe very close to the pro version but with different licensing ...

6. ugur

ugur

Angel38, it makes no sense to post on a public forum when you aren´t into reading what other people say in threads.
    Go write a mail to unity support, to my experience if someone has a reasonable request they will get back to you asap.
    To give my personal view i don´t think its reasonable to expect unity pro for free, and say its robbery that the price of something you bought was changed afterwards, but yeah, that´s just me.

7. Tempest

Tempest

I'm curious as to what economies these people are a part of... where computers, cars, houses, etc must never shift in price after purchase. Buy any soft of electronic from months ago..and expect to get the same price today? Hm.

8. tinmanassets

tinmanassets

I think this is great, thanks Unity guys!!

For people who are complaining that they bought the indie version 5 months ago or whatever: The indie version was $200. two. hundred. dollars. $200 would only buy me a handful of hours of work from the cheapest of developers. And you have had access to this fantastic tool for much longer than that, so you got your money's worth plus some.

In case you still think you got a bad deal:
    You have had it more than 60 days (or you wouldnt be complaining) so that means that you paid around $3 a day (or less) for the use of the product. (someone upthread was complaining that they had bought it in May, 6 months ago.. that is about $1 per day per seat.. come on people)

In the last 60 days I have used Unity to prototype 3 different games, saving our team countless hours because Unity is a great tool. (not to mention developing a multi-touch framework from scratch using unity pro and updating our unity iPhone game) Even if I had just bought indie 61 days ago, i would be totally stoked that Unity is now free. that means that the community will expand, there will be more books, more tutorials, more clever solutions to hard problems and more great games.

So, bottom line: Unity: you guys are great, Complainers: pull your heads in.

-B

9. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

My $200 license has long since paid for itself, and I'm extremely happy about the new setup. :-D

The college I work for has been waffling about whether or not to install Unity for ages now, and this should make it much easier to convince them.

10. Manaia

Manaia

Wow, I've just sent a reply email. Yeah, nearly had a heart attack when I read the first few paragraphs of that email having just purchased Indie a fortnight ago. THANKYOU FOR THE REFUND! It was a bit of a gamble for me though I can only see possibilities. Now to create! I will eventually get the upgrades no doubt. I can only imagine Unity explodes in popularity. Congrats to all the team on 2.6 - great work!:D

back to learning

11. Timmer

Timmer

@ xixac :

I am confused, I must admit. I can understand people upset at spending money on something that is now free (although I don't agree with it, personally) but you say a couple of things that I truly don't understand:

"There is nothing new in Indie" -- did you look at the features list? There's tons of new stuff. Across the board optimizations along with the animation editor (which you did mention).

Also, I don't understand your logic of how indie users are actually going to be treated worse down the road by giving away their product and how that makes it worse. Now, it's even easier for people to get started with making their game/project and even more people will be using it! They are not increasing the cost for Pro... doing that would defeat the whole purpose of giving away basic for free (getting more people to buy Pro; ie increasing volume).

How has any of this changed anything that was there before ie differences and leveled playing field except for licensing? The only new things added to Pro that Basic doesn't get beyond what was there before was VCS support (very nice but is independent from the engine itself) and Profiler (again, nice but nothing that's needed to make the game itself).

I think you're reading into the shadows a bit :)

Look at it as now you get to have all future updates to Unity indie for free! I'm pretty stoked myself and can't wait to see what new things people are going to do with it!

12. RocketeerGames

RocketeerGames

This is HUGE for Unity. There are a few major competitive contenders out on the horizon and Unity has just thrown down the gauntlet.

I'm glad Unity indie is free, even though I have both Unity and iPhone Pro. :D

13. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Snow Leopard compatibilities are fixed in 2.6 I believe. The problem with 64-bit Safari is API changes which are non-trivial to implement, and which were apparently sprung at the last minute. Also it's easily fixed for now by running Safari in 32-bit mode (not like you're going to notice any difference), and will be properly fixed later, just there wasn't time for it in the 2.6 release. I'm curious as to what the "etc." incompatibilities are, because I don't know of any more. UT is actively investing in MonoDevelop for OS X, since there is no Visual Studio on the Mac. They've said that a major part of their current success is the iPhone version, which only runs on the Mac. The OS X section in the 2.6 release notes is just as long as the Windows section. In short, you're being completely unfair, and many of the Windows improvements in 2.6 were just to bring it up to the standard of the Mac version anyway; not like they're getting anything "extra" except for the Visual Studio thing.

Which features were removed? It added some compared to 1.0 and improved the workflow a fair amount. If it's unusable, why is it that myself and apparently most other people have no problems with it? Not that there are zero bugs, but it's probably more solid than most software upgrades of major apps that I've used.

Read this. That's a lot of stuff, 95% of which applies to the Indie version, and you don't think an entirely new audio engine counts for anything?

--Eric

14. xixac

xixac

Timmer -

Optimizations are always going to be part of the "learner's edition" as it is easier to maintain a subset than a different set of core code. Generally optimizations don't qualify as new features that would call for a dot upgrade in version number. That's why Apple is practically giving away Snow Leopard these days.

The larger revenue stream that marketing projected is due to the fact that a huge number of UT users are in fact after the iPhone market. I haven't looked at it, but I would bet that iPhone basic now requires UT Pro. For people that pay VAT getting started w/ the iPhone the hurdle went up to $2000.00 from about $600.00.

I am not saying this new strategy is bad. The single goal of any company is to make as much money as possible and taking the learning curve for UT as well as the competition with GG into account, this probably makes sense. We just have to be realistic and forget about leveled playing fields and fuzzy feelings regarding Indie efforts. It was just a gimmick anyway ; )

15. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Nope.

--Eric

16. xixac

xixac

I stand corrected. Must have misunderstood this:
    If you have an existing Unity Pro license, please have your serial number ready.

17. giyomu

giyomu

bouhhh too bad my unity indy goes to 200$ to 0$ :roll:

i am very sad ^^, ok well i personnaly don't care either, since the time i bought it i think since i dont care about the price i pay it.

Once things , and like other people said in the thread, is that having a little bit more time to think about pro upgrade will be nice , nowaday get money isnt easy task and you sometimes have priority for where you need to put your money.

So having some more week to it will be welcome ^^ , at least to me , but i am sure for other too.

by the way fro all worried about iphone basic, it is write that iphone basic work either with free or pro version, so nobody shouldn't be worried about that.

18. sylexer

sylexer

OMG!,

My trial period ends today, i just had the purchase window open for the indy edition 199$, I just tought to check the forums again. If there is a rebate.

Indy is free now!!! Thats a realy great step towards a new growing community.

I agree if i had purchased indy a few months earlier i felt sad. So i hope you guys with a Indy licences get compensated. At least you guys made this possible.

Thanks,

19. Mohamed Almonajed

Mohamed Almonajed

Unity is a really digital heaven.

20. hokmah

hokmah

WHAT! FREE!!! :x

No problem just remove the unity startup logo and
    include the plugins too, for all of us who purchased more than 2 months ago.

Unity Indies Unite!!

21. toonydax

toonydax

Especially because they CAN get a refund and have HUGE discount on Pro.
    Pathetic.

22. owensd

owensd

You paid for you. You thought, at the time of purchase, the value you were getting was a good enough deal for $200 that you purchased it. That's how commerce works.

You know what... I bought a PS3 for $400... now they are $250!! OMG, where's my refund!!!! Oh... the car that I bought is now worth $5000 less because I drove it off the lot, give me my refund!!!

You complainers are frankly quite pathetic.

Unity gains more market share, which in turn produces more upgrade purchases (to Pro or iPhone package), which gives the developers more money, which allows them to add new features. And guess what, some of those features will make it to the free version so you don't have to pay an upgrade price to get the next Indie version!!!

23. Seer

Seer

Here comes the "Freeware Defenders" train. :D

24. hokmah

hokmah

YEAH!? let say that PS3 and Car you just bought
    just become FREE!! not less but FREE!
    still dont want to complain a little bit?
    Also what I'm asking for is just a little consideration, just remove the darn logo and
    add the plugins...
    from

25. Amon

Amon

Dude you need to chill. What is the problem, really? The fact that you can't get a refund after owning it for 5 months or that you can't afford Pro?

Hows that Unity's problem?

Go code and make money. Make tutorials for the new peeps who are going to be joining or using Unity now that it's free. Go make some games or something.

Sometimes the stress of the problem in your head isn't worth what the problem was in the first place.

Go code, make games or the Monkey with the ball hat gets it.

26. owensd

owensd

Would you be just as upset the price dropped to $100? $50? $20?

The argument of simple economics hold regardless of the new lower price. The price you paid for the item reflected the value that you felt it was worth at the time. You paid $200, you felt it was worth that price, time to move on. The Unity folks are being kind enough by offering a complete refund or a discounted price on an upgrade for people within the last 60 days! Most retail stores don't even offer that type of service (actually, none that I know of... some offer like 7 days or even up to 30).

Many people are just complaining because people are getting the same product as you for cheaper now so you feel entitled to some sort of reprieve. That is absurd.

27. Amon

Amon

Ok so that car and PS3 became free. Unity is now free. Current users of indie who bought within the last 60 days get a refund or a discount on upgrades. It's like you're trying to say "You can sell this but you can never make it free even though it's your product otherwise I want a refund no matter when i bought it"

That don't fly McFly! Just go code. If you can that is. There are people that spend an eternity wanting this feature and that feature and never code or produce anything. Well, they do produce something - Troll unreasonable complaint posts on forums.

Go code codeth. Foreth though musteth maketh moneyeth for Proeth. ^^

Monkey say oooooo!!!

28. owensd

owensd

Here's the difference between you and me though.

I say, "Man, that sucks! I could have waited X number of months and I could have gotten it for free."

You say, "Man, I've had this for X number of months and you got it for free. I want my money back."

Both of us have the same, "that sucks", but only you think you're entitled to a refund of some sort.

29. hokmah

hokmah

still dont get it ei..
    I am not totally complaining about 2.6 being free..

But give us small developers some incentives
    like removing the logo for 2.5 indies..

30. DrHotbunz

DrHotbunz

Unity has to make money. No way they should remove the logo. Overall another step forward for Unity.

31. sleekit

sleekit

I bought it on 2009/07/06 and I would also like a refund,the upgrade offer is well out of my reach at 671.8206 GBP I would like to add I had to struggle to buy the Unity Indie license I have.
    A few years ago when 3D Exploration was bought out and its price was raised ,all current users were given an upgrade free of charge,I would expect nothing less in this case either that or a total refund.
    Utterly Disappointing.

32. Amon

Amon

33. PandaMagnus

PandaMagnus

So would you sanction me beating the $200 out of the programmer that was supposed to program while I worked on art? :p

I jest, of course. I just find statements like that a little unfair to those of us who are artists and bought it because Unity's workflow is so far and away better than Torque's (which I sadly also bought a few years ago.)

Although in all fairness, I guess that's what I get for fronting my own money for a small team.

34. Amon

Amon

So you bought a week coming 4 months ago and you want a refund now that it's free? Why?

Why can't Unity be free in your eyes without you getting a refund for buying it 4 months ago?

Should it have been free in the first place? I'd like to see how many of you would have complained if it were free then ended up costing $200.

How can you buy something willingly, then 4 months later when the product changes ask for a refund because the product went free?

It just doesn't make sense.

I'll say it again, it's like people are banning Unity Technologies from ever making their product free or they'll want a refund.

I is confused!

35. hokmah

hokmah

how about this..
    Just make a patch for purchased indie 2.5 (not 2.6!)
    to remove the logo and can add plugs..
    Let 2.6 stay the way it is..

36. Amon

Amon

Which kinda negates anything else you said previously in your post. :) Since you realised of course that it's your fault. ;)

37. Seer

Seer

2.2 months actually and yes, I can't afford Pro. Can you? Wanna refund our money in that case? :roll:

Either way, read the posts before at least trying to debate with everyone. I don't care about getting money back (even though I am screwed up by just 2-3 days cause the "line was drawn" at 60 days). They should look into making some minor changed for those who payed 200 dollars for thing air since 2.5

Look at it this way, 2.5 buyers got nothing out of the engine so far (a free update that makes it freeware app was the big update). What you think everyone is good as you that they spent last few months learning and creating a commercial game at the same time?

Instead of getting some deal (that doesn't include spending gazillions upgrading stuff cause if we had that much money we would have bought Pro already) or a refund itself, we are getting spammed by kids who got their parents to buy the engine (and think $200 is not a big deal) and the Pro users who think everyone can just magically grow money on trees like them.

Now we have to face freeware users who have now smelled the goldmine and will defend this freeware app with most inane posts ever.

So that's the problem.

38. iGame3D

iGame3D

Absolutely brilliant! Once again the Unity team has realized my dreams.
    My eight year old daughter has been hooked to Unity for the last six hours and so have I.

Nobody should complain, the money you and I spent on Unity in the past kept these developers alive and kept this software progressing.

Everyone should be overjoyed that the entire company and the entire project have not folded and fallen into oblivion like so many before or worse, the product stagnates or gets buggy bloated and a nightmare to work with while costing more than ever.

There are several free game engines out there that basically cut into the potential for Unity's community to grow. This is an opportunity to broaden the user base and multiply the number of creative projects within the community.

On top of this, when there are jobs available for people with experience with Unity, then there will actually be a wider pool of candidates for those positions.

Think positive.

39. PandaMagnus

PandaMagnus

Haha, I know. When I first heard the news I was pretty angry, but then when I thought about it, I hit that realization and thought to myself, "Well, had I made sure our programmer was reliable BEFORE I bought Unity, we probably would have already finished one game by now... which would have been definitely worth the cost."

On the plus side, I still have a platform to pitch ideas for architectural walk-throughs! :D

40. sleekit

sleekit

This is the Third time this has happened to me this year and I'm getting pretty sick of it not to mention that I cannot afford to throw money away like this,it has to stop.
    The sofware industry should release a full and free version (fit for Commercial use) of all thier software with a view to users eventually upgrading.
    I think you will find apart from the Fan Boys (I really do not like using that terminology)most users feel they have been abused and used as I do.
    Is that clear enough?

41. Amon

Amon

2.2 months = 10 weeks. You're 2 weeks out for getting a refund, not 2-3 days. I'm sure you'll live though.

Yes, I had indie and made games, now I have Pro.

Err! Nope!! I'll tell you why. You didn't buy it off me. << Is this where I put a rolly eyely smiley?

I think they have though. I'm assuming now that Indie is free you will never be charged an upgrade fee for it whilst Pro users will be charged.

I don't know everyone so can't answer that.

Pro users think that, or is it you thinking it in your head because you don't like the situation and are being unreasonable?

42. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

How about the normal people, who thought Unity was important to them, so they saved up some money for a little while by doing work with Indie (instead of blowing it on useless junk), bought Pro, and then made more money because of it by working hard?

--Eric

43. Dreamora

Dreamora

Well the situation with "Pro and Money Trees" actually is easy: If you don't have the money for it you don't need it as you then likely don't use unity to create commercial software which is what Unity Pro is targeted at.

I think it was generous from UT to first remove the single platform deployment with Unity 2.5 and now offer the whole thing for free.
    All Unity Indie users already got a massive bang for their bucks. Even if you bought it post 2.5, don't forget that you got 2.0, 2.1 and 2.5 development with that fee, not just 2.5 as 2.5 does not exist with the rest of 2.x.

But even with this fact beeing there unity offers a 60 day refund or alternatively very attractive double+ license fee upgrade reductions. Its like they pay you for using Unity actually, not you to have access to this great technology.
    Don't like it? Well then thats basically your problem isn't it?
    Because you bought it and payed for Unity Indie at the time you bought it as-is. Anything else you get and got for free is actually up to UT, and you didn't get little with 2.6 once again you didn't believe that much in Unity that you took some real part in funding it by getting Pro as indies didn't fund anything but the coffee in the bureaus likely :) by not little I'm talking about such serious powerup as the profiler, animation editor and a view into a bright $0 upgrade to 3.0 future, where as pro owners are looking forward to $700+

*going to the bakery as I'm sure I'll need a truck load of bread today ...*

44. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

I'm amazed at how people expect the world to revolve around them.

I'm even more amazed what the people that expect the world to revolve around them haven't done anything to merit those illusions of self grandeur.

The world isn't meant to cater to you. It's a sad but true fact that most people figured out some time in childhood.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but some of you really need to wake up.

It's fine to feel a little bummed. But geez... this is ridiculous.

45. asterix

asterix

Thanks for Unity free. I think it will open many new door to Unity and people to use it. Especialy in University where they choose XNA instead cause it was free, now they can have Unity. 8) 8) 8)

I am really happy I din't pay for it.

46. sleekit

sleekit

I bet you are.

47. Maph

Maph

This release couldn't have come at a better time for me personally. The animation editor is what I really missed in Unity, and I was actually surprised it wasn't in there to begin with.
    But hey, no pain, no game (quite literally in the case of animations).

The rebate deals for both IPhone basic and Pro are very much appreciated by yours truly. As I've been an indie user for the past 6 months now, and I need IPhone basic for an upcoming game.
    It's a pity 2.6 projects aren't supported in IPhone basic (yet), as I could've made so much use of the animation editor in my current project.
    And that the profiler is only available in pro it seems, but other than that ->

Thank you Unity Technologies!

48. Dreamora

Dreamora

you know that Unity iPhone as a 2.1 branch has an animation editor present actually? :) (yes not as nice etc as the 2.6 one but there is a reason it took so long :) )
    It was only temporally removed in 2.5 when the interface system of the editor was completely overhauled (they didn't want to release a half perfect solution but wanted it fully done and tested)

49. Maph

Maph

Ha! I only have experience with Unity IPhone 1.5 Basic (demo license), so my ramblings are based on that. But that's very nice to hear!

Now I can't wait for the next Unity IPhone update. :)

50. ahloyan

ahloyan

best news i have heard in a long time

great job UNITY

keep it up

i know it stinks guys when you have paid for something that is now FREE but surely if you hd purchased it more then 2 months ago you must have got your 200 dollars worth out of it by now

again great job UNITY