Search Unity

Unity 2.6.1 Released!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Samantha, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Samantha

Samantha

2. xandeck

xandeck

Hey Ulognep...

I was just about to tell you that lightmap is not working as this topic was talking:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=235769&highlight=#235769

But aNTeNNa trEE edited her/his post and now we cannot have lightmap in Indie with objects...

Why? No shadows at all?

And what this bug means:
    ??

One last thing: if we can create lightmaps with another tools (MAX, Maya, etc) and also you teach us how to do (see resources page)... why then just not let the engine create the lightmap ???

3. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

I was sure that this worked in 2.5 indy..... didnt will Goldstone have a video explaining how to lightmap taking trees into consideration.

Its a shame if the features been removed.

4. xandeck

xandeck

I had this impression too... but I will not sure, because, trully, I dont remember...

But this is really a shame... lightmaps... :(

5. MatthewW

MatthewW

Terrain lightmapping has never taken trees into account, as far as I know. There are workflows to do it by painting directly into the lightmap texture (you can automate this through a few different means).

6. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

Thanks for the confirmation Matthew :)

By the way - I really love watching your vimeo videos :)

7. xandeck

xandeck

But it does not even work with static objects, like house models...

8. sleekit

sleekit

With the problem(s) mentioned above is it worth installing 2.6.1?

9. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Yes, it is worth upgrading... 2.6.1 has not added any known bugs or deliberately removed features... it was released to make Unity better ;)

Lightmapped shadows on the Terrain has never been a feature of Unity Indie/Free. We did not remove it from 2.6 or 2.6.1. And yes, it is possible to export your Terrain as a mesh and lightmap it in a separate program. That's what I do because to be perfectly honest Unity's Terrain lightmapper is no match for a dedicated renderer such as Mental Ray.

10. sleekit

sleekit

Thanks aNTeNNa trEE

11. xandeck

xandeck

Actually, its not a problem that 2.6.1 have, its just not a feature available :D . And yes, its orth, trully.

I agree with you aNTeNNa trEE, but I dont have resources to buy tools like 3DS or Maya, or any good renderer. I just thought that It could be great if Unity creates lightmaps with Indie version... but ok, I will not die without this feature :D

12. giyomu

giyomu

you can use "Gile lightmapper" it's free an does good job for lightmapping and Global illumination stuff ;)

by the way cool update , tree doesn't make unity crash and finally package from unity 2.6.1 doesn't crash my unity iphone 1.5.1 :D should be a good day ^^

13. xandeck

xandeck

Thanks man, I will take a look.
    If not too much to ask :D can you give me a link?

Can I make lightmap with all my terrain and gameobjects inside Unity? 8)

14. giyomu

giyomu

15. maju

maju

Unfortunately, Gile does NOT import fbx file format...So how could we use Gile for lightmapping?

16. giyomu

giyomu

use obj format, personaly i like to use b3d format cause it work the best with this tools.

but at least obj format will certainly work for your purpose.

I use fbx only when i need animation or have to import model in unity , otherwise I do without it.

17. polytropoi

polytropoi

Blender is free, and works great for baking textures and lightmaps. It has the best UI of all the 3D apps, too, although they ruined it with the new version. (*ducks and runs away*)

18. Diegoale2000

Diegoale2000

I cannot download it...
    the download button simply refreshes the page.
    I have tried it yesterday and today and the same happens.

19. KaelisAsur

KaelisAsur

This usually happens when you have some kind of popup/script/cookie/whatever blocker enabled.

20. krabbo

krabbo

Pixel lighting may be ok for small projects but not larger ones. Frame rate drop too big.

Moire pattern still exists on windows with full screen fx and 7300 cards. (yes, this is a lower end card but not a usergroup we want to lose and it never happened before 2.6)

There were some improvements at first with less ram usage but further implementation of pixel lighting and then the testing on windows full screen made it not worthwhile at this time for a project of our size.

edit: tried again and forcing OpenGL makes it work ok.. Windows and directx has memory leak probs, still

21. Funso

Funso

It's probably worth telling you that there doesn't appear to be a patch to download, just the entire build of 2.6.1.

Is that normal? Wouldn't you normally just give us a smaller patch to download?

22. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

No, patches aren't normal. I actually can't remember the last time I downloaded a patch for anything; it's always the full thing. (Which in the case of something like XCode is a bit much as it's 2.5GB every time....)

--Eric

23. KaelisAsur

KaelisAsur

Really?

Perhaps we have extremely different experiences, but i for one cant remember the last time i downloaded a full distribution of software bigger than a few megabytes just to get a patch.

In fact im a bit surprised that UT decides to do this.

24. zumwalt

zumwalt

UT has never released just a patch, they have always released the full product.

25. Yann

Yann

Indeed : Unity is everything but a "patchwork" :wink:

26. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

This is how we've always handled this as it's actually quite a bit more simple than introducing "patch" installers. We don't release updates extremely frequently and so we think that this is a solid approach and will stay the course going forward with full installers for updates.

27. KaelisAsur

KaelisAsur

No worries, im not complaining, im just not used to it :wink:

28. Crystalmyst

Crystalmyst

Sorry for a slight necro here, but I thought that this would be the rightful place to say, considering one other person's already said it.

I also can't download anything on the download page. I've tried using two different browsers, neither have any pop-up blockers.

Some support would be appreciated.

29. andeeeee

andeeeee

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I've just tried the download page and found the link working (this was Mac + Safari). If it still doesn't work for you, please contact support@unity3d.com. They will get you up and running and will also be able to investigate any browser issues with the download page.

30. Crystalmyst

Crystalmyst

Ah, my problem is sorted. I managed to get my co-developer to download it for me instead.

Perhaps a traditional download link as a failsafe would be a good idea?

~Tim

31. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

While I'm glad you've got it sorted and are on your way (have fun!), can I still ask you to share your particular configuration info so we can test/look into this? OS, browser(s) with versions? Thanks! :)

32. Crystalmyst

Crystalmyst

Thanks for the well wishes, I've been wanting to use Unity for years now, and was actually saving up for two Indie licenses for me and my friend. You have no idea how glad I am that it's now free for personal and commercial use.
    Time to model those universes of creativity that have built up over my 16 years of existence!

And of course! As a fellow web programmer, I'd love to help out debug this problem as much as possible (Especially if it's a fatal bug!)

My basic config:
    Browsers: Firefox v3.5.7, Safari v4.0.4 (6531.21.10), Opera v9.62 Build 5256 (OLD! I forgot I even HAD it xD).

Hopefully that helps. Feel free to ask me anything else.

~Tim

P.S - LOVE UNITY /hug

33. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Rad... Have fun! :)

Thanks, I'll pass this along to our web team for them to chew on.

34. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

I totally agree with you on that (*I better duck too*)

35. cannon

cannon

I used to really hate it too... until I found out where they hid all my tools and figured out that they made ALL the tool hotkeys user configurable...

36. shabazzster

shabazzster

I downloaded new unity build on a Mac, and after it tells me to set permissions...which it never did before...after I "set permissions" then Unity crashes every time. Can somebody(s) fix this please? I'm not the only one with this problem I have seen many others with this same thing.
    Thank you
    K

37. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

If you haven't done so please log a bug after Unity crashes, and do that every time you get a crash (if the bug reporter doesn't automatically appear then restart Unity while holding down the option/alt key, create a new project and immediately log the bug via the Help menu). Doing that will get us access to the crash data which helps narrow down what sort of fix might be necessary. Thanks!

If you need help sooner than that you can of course also contact our support team (support@unity3d.com), simply posting here in this thread is not a good way to get assistance so use the proper channels and we'll be happy to lend a hand! :)

38. shabazzster

shabazzster

When the Mac users turn off their fire wall then the bug is squashed and Unity works just as before. Thanks for your response.
    K

39. bpchute

bpchute

Could someone help me.
    I've tried with no firewall or
    anti-virus. When I click the
    button the page just reloads.

40. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

First off, welcome to the forums bpchute! :)

If you continue to have trouble using the bug reporter then get a hold of our support team via email so they can work things out with you (support@unity3d.com). This is an announcement thread about Unity 2.6.1 and so we'd like the conversation to stay focused on that news and that release in particular.