Search Unity

Unity 2.5 for Mac and Windows available now!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Mar 18, 2009.

1. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

BTW, anyone noticed that on pc, when you launch unity and the welcome window appear, if you click on the main window and then on the Unity logo in the welcome screen, all the text became dark? I can make it happen back and forth...probably it would not happen on a real pc instead of a mac :)

2. memedesigner

memedesigner

[quote="soulman901"I'm 27 and I am still working on creating games.[/quote]

I'm 41 and just starting on working on games. I still fluctuate whether that is awesomely cool or just plain sad. :roll: :D

In any case, got a meeting with a game company CTO next week about the concept I've been playing with, let's see what ensues. Something will. :D

And to steer back towards the topic: Congrats on the 2.5 release. The Win support is huge.

3. stimarco

stimarco

4. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

46 but I have help from those teens you're talking about when the programming's over my head. But age is really irrelevent. George Bernard Shaw said it best ... we don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing.

5. terransage

terransage

I just turned 50. Never had any interest or even a thought about game development or scripting or anything like that. (I wasn't even into playing computer/video games all that much.) One day I discovered how to do GIF animations, then almost accidentally discovered Cheetah3D and Blender and finally Unity, and I was hooked like I've never been hooked on anything else. I kind of feel like I've been on the wrong path all my life, and somewhat "late" in life found my true direction.

And I look to all the youngsters here for guidance! (I really must be getting old, now that I started using the word "youngster." At least I didn't use the word "whippersnapper." I won't do that until I'm 70.)

6. Yann

Yann

Actually I'm 7, but my mummy feeds me well.

7. sabuj

sabuj

Can I use Mac os Asset folders directly copy into the Windows platform and use it?
    Or need to specify the files path?

8. nickavv

nickavv

I'm almost 17. I've been wanting to make games since I was around 7 or 8, though my first attempts were in Hypercard. :p I feel really lucky to have discovered Unity.

9. stimarco

stimarco

I'm 39, and of the opinion that creating is one of humanity's most basic desires. Few people are just consumers of other people's work. Whether it's writing, music, poetry, dance, art, games or accountancy, there's some form of creativity in all of us.

I've never been much into playing most types of games and prefer strategy and simulation games over action titles. I haven't even owned a TV since 1996, so I don't own any consoles either.

There was a time when programming was something I found just as open to creativity as graphics. I still see it as a form of translation -- not maths, as many developers would have us believe -- and the part of my brain which deals with it is the same part which deals with natural languages like Italian, French and English. (I can even think in some programming languages, like C++ and 68000 assembly. That got me some odd looks from colleagues.)

I've been using "whippersnapper" since my mid-20s. It's a lovely word with a wonderful rhythm to it. Like "poppycock", "codswallop" and "piffle", it deserves much more exposure.

10. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

"Piffle" is such a good word. When I was on my last trip to England (one of the contest's my wife wins all the time ... this one was to see an Arsenal match in the new stadium) I picked up a book about the English language called "Balderdash and Piffle" based on the BBC series. Great book, and in some ways the inspiration for Dead Words.

11. terransage

terransage

stimarco wrote:
    (Sorry, I'm way OT here....) What's funny is that this is how I learned to approach JavaScript, my first "computer language," which I learned through Unity. My first natural language was German, then English, though I forgot most of my German. I just looked at Javascript in the same way that I look at German, with its seemingly odd grammatical and syntax rules. (There's also English with its decidedly strange spelling rules.) Instead of trying to understand JavaScript logically, I just accepted it as another "foreign language" and basically memorized its rules without questioning them. Yes, there's also logic there, but for me JS seems more like an organic language. It reminded me of secret codes I used to develop as a kid. Just as I used to do with math problems, I automatically translate JS into regular sentences, and vice versa. I'm not sure if that's the best approach, but it seems to work. I think Unity was the sweetener that made learning a scripting language easier to swallow.

DaveyJJ wrote:
    I'm probably one of the last people on Earth who still uses the word "ne'er-do-well." I get strange looks whene'er I do. Sometimes I feel like I should have been born in England, in the 19th century, but then there'd be no computer, no Unity, no happiness. :cry:

12. flaminghairball

flaminghairball

:eek: :eek: :eek:

We need a new 'chin-hits-floor' smiley here.

This is seriously sweeettt. I love the new look you guys have going, and authoring for windows is a big plus to people like myself who can't afford the Pro.

Thank you UT!

I'm 13, and purchased Unity Indie 5 months ago. :)

13. Raptor5399

Raptor5399

Nice update ;P

14. Train

Train

I test it right now and i love it. Unity Team, you are great. Perfekt!!!! Purchase in April, yes....yeah!!!

15. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Nothing makes me happier than being able to release for PC and Mac. :D :eek: :D

I hope that'll help my sales a little bit...

16. Kirkup

Kirkup

Am I the only one having problems with this release?
    I was so excited to upgrade from 2.1 from 2.5 pro, but my current project has gone all haywire.
    Unity has crashed twice and scripting that worked perfectly in 2.1 no longer functions as required. :cry:
    OnMouseOver goes true even when the mouse isn't over the object.
    The list goes on. I am very frustrated.

I'm using the Mac version.

17. michela

michela

I just hired my first Unity3d dev and he's in his fifties.

18. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Kirkup:
    Sounds like you're either making use of unsupported API or using supported parts in ways they weren't meant to be used in the first place. Pick out the pieces which don't work and toss them up on the scripting forum?

19. VIC20

VIC20

]
    You are "right" i actually released my last game when i was in that age... it was a "basic-listing" in a computer magazine in 1986 when i was 16. :wink:
    Since then i was busy with music and sound design but i never stopped searching new ways to write my 1980s "spaghetti code". Unity made possible what i wanted to do all of the time! Now i just have to completely get rid of the terrible 80s style to code in my head which might never happen - some weeks ago i talked to someone who owns a company which is big in computer simulations to create new pharmaceutical drugs without the need for real life experiments, he also still writes "spaghetti code".

20. CogCode

CogCode

Re. the age thing:

I started developing video games in 1977, and got into it professionally in 1983, and have been in the industry to a greater or lesser extent since then.

So, no, video game development isn't just for kids. There are a lot of us "old-timers" (43 here) who are still passionate about games.

On a related note, I still have my very first computer graphics book that I bought when I was 13, back in '78.

21. VIC20

VIC20

Interesting that, as someone from LA, your first computer graphics book is written by a german computer scientist :)
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfgang_Giloi

22. Matroblend

Matroblend

Not really I remember back in those days any book was a big deal if you could get your hands on it and I remember copying by hand just to get information.

23. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

How can a German book on engineering surprise anyone? :p

24. CogCode

CogCode

Well the weird thing is, I'm not originally from LA. I grew up in Iowa.

Now, imagine how hard it was, in 1978, to find ANY book on mathematics for computer graphics, written by ANY author, while growing up in the middle of corn-country. :D

25. CarlL

CarlL

Is it just me or is this version buggier?

My mouse freezes up all the time, and when Unity crashes I lose all my work, even if I'd just saved it.

26. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Have you bug reported these crashes and lockups? What system are you on? I've been using 2.5 full-time with few issues since one of the later beta versions. After release I haven't seen any crashes etc. at all. I'm on OS X Leopard, core duo mbp, ATI X1600.

27. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

Do I use the same serial number that I have for my mac install on my windows install? How does that work?

I currently have Unity Indy 2.1 for mac. And have installed the trial on my Windows Vista machine of 2.5

Also is there installer to update my mac version to 2.5?

28. Lawrence

Lawrence

I downloaded the (MAC) Demo 2.5, ...It updated my licensed copy...2.1 to 2.5. works great. I think they should clarify that. The Demo will update the licensed copy.

...The curse of knowledge...

29. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

Thanks Lawrence.

How do I get my key for Windows version, so that it is not in trial mode? As i will have one install on my mac one on my pc. (which is within the license).

30. freyr

freyr

It's the same serial number as you used to activate Unity on your Mac.

31. CogCode

CogCode

There is no special Windows key: just enter your same serial that you did with your Mac install, then your Windows version will automatically authorize itself over the internet.