Search Unity

Unity 2.5 for Mac and Windows available now!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Ayce

Ayce

Just downloaded, but I have to wait till the w/e to install. 2 jobs and a new baby can wreak havoc on your free time :D

Question I haven't seen answered yet. I had the 2.1 (I think) demo on my Mac, but it ran out. If I suspect correctly, that should have no bearing on the 2.5 Windows install. Yes/no?

Can't wait for the w/e now. :D

2. frigginjoe

frigginjoe

The floodgates have been opened :O

3. wailingmonkey

wailingmonkey

Congratulations, Unity team! Great timing (for me)
    to test your product...now, of course, I await news
    on the Windows iPhone release date estimate... :D

Will that be a topic for your GDC team to cover?

P.S. diggin the demo and overall polish and standardization
    you've accomplished! Well done!

4. AaronC

AaronC

It just isnt going to happen. Its an Apple decision- they dont want people using PC's so if you want to do iPhone publishing, it needs to be done on Mac

AC

5. Alec

Alec

I LOVE UNITY !!!!!!!!

6. Son Kim

Son Kim

Viewport FOV should match camera FOV setting this would make it easier to keep things in context when navigaing the scene, unless there is a way to navigate the scene thru the camera item?

I'm still evaluating Unity 2.5 , maybe i'll buy both C4 and unity :twisted:

Thanks for the tip about specular map via the Alpha channel, it would still be nice to have separate slot for specular color(a RGB, not black/white) aside from the Gloss channel. this way you can control specular amount and color.

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Can't agree with that at all...the scene view is for manipulating the scene, the game view is for what you see in game. If I'm messing with the game camera FOV, I still want to have a completely normal view in the scene so I can work effectively. Not only that, but you can potentially have many game cameras simultaneously, so which one should the scene view camera use?

You can do that with a custom shader.

--Eric

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

You can add pretty simple components that render the camera into a rect in the editor while you have it active.
    That way you can check your scene through the real game camera.

The alternative way is ctrl+p and just walk through the level.
    That is one of the real powers of Unity actually that you can do live gametesting with a few clicks instead of 30 mins of recompiling

9. Son Kim

Son Kim

I was referring to having only one camera in the scene, but i see your point with mutiple camera, maybe a option to change the FOV of the viewport would be nice in the future. The current FOV is abit too wide for my taste. It's a workflow thing, even in Modo i adjust the FOV from the default one, just makes me more productive.

I'll look into those custom shader, thanks!

Crtl+P okie takes me into game mode but cant move around? I'm probably missing something...

10. t4d

t4d

Very happy to see a Windows version Thanks GUYs =) :D

11. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Game mode only runs what you've put into it...there's a first-person controller prefab in standard assets that has basic FPS controls, which you can use to start with.

--Eric

12. Fishypants

Fishypants

Anyone getting this error message? I installed the demo and run it and all is good, then right before Unity starts I get this:

UNITY ALERT:
    Writing File Error
    Resizing file C:/Users/Documents/Unity Projects/Island Demo/Temp/tempFile failed: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Could this be an issue with my anti virus software? I know its probably something im over looking. I closed all browsers too just to make sure nothing is accessing it. Any ideas?

13. Fishypants

Fishypants

A ha! It is! Stupid anti-virus. Note to anyone using Kaspersky Anti Virus, disable it before running as it appears that it is dumb and doesn't want to let Unity Start. Sigh . . .

14. Son Kim

Son Kim

Ah thanks, i'm going to go thru the "3D platform Game" tutorial to get more experience with Unity. :oops:

15. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

And so it is. Unity 2.5 is at the front gates. :wink:

Big congrats to UT for all this. If I can get to it, I'll buy a copy of Unity Pro. FTW!!! :D

16. MadMac

MadMac

congrat's to the Unity Team !!! hehe never thought you are so quick ;-)
    soooo now you have all the Power for the new iPhone Version ;-)
    no no ... take a rest and let the sales for the Win port pay you back for the work !
    Well i have my thought's over the win port but the time will tell if i'm right or not....
    Hopefully not too much crasy Windows user take over the forums here :?

GOOD WORK UNITY TEAM !!!

no make the Unity iPhone the best in the World !!!
    you can i know !!!

I'm very Happy that the iPhone stuff ONLY works on the Mac... i'm so happy about it... really :D

P.S. "Gier frisst Hirn" "Geiz ist Geil" doesnt't work on Mac hihi

17. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

Congrats on the release! and maintinaing a fast download rate for it too :)

It came down at 600k a second here in the UK, very impressive for a launch of this magnitude.

"Beers all round for the gents and white wine for the ladies!"

18. AbhishekS

AbhishekS

hey guys im bit confuse
    i have purchase Unity3D IPhone Advance License i have updated it to Version 1.02d1(21654) 2day itself.

now unity has released version 2.5 now if im not wrong than this Unity2.5 is for the desktop system not for the IPhone/IPod Devices. if im wrong can it be used for IPhone Devices as well im a eligible to use the IPhone Advance License for this Unity2.5 version??

Thanks,
    Abhishek.

19. RaphDuBus

RaphDuBus

Congratulations !!! :D :D :D

20. DirectorEx

DirectorEx

Congratz! Now I can *finally* remove Macromedia Director from my computer :)

21. Cu3e

Cu3e

Woot! I haven't felt this excited since childhood christmas :D :oops:

Thanks to the whole Unity Team! :D

22. jashan

jashan

As you have Unity Pro (which you need for using Unity iPhone Advanced 1.0.1), you can upgrade to Unity 2.5. So, for desktop game development you can now use Unity 2.5. However, for iPhone development - you still can only use Unity iPhone 1.0.1, as Unity iPhone has not been updated recently.

23. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome!!! 8)
    Looks very sleek so far. I love you guys ^^

24. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

The watermark in standalone builds only is shown when they are built with a trial version. Once you get real Indie version, there will only be splash screen (no watermark) in standalone builds.

You can disable it in Player Settings: http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Components/class-PlayerSettings.html

25. anti-alias

anti-alias

Congratulations, guys!

26. IPete

IPete

A well deserved "Thank you!" and "Congratulations!" from all at Studio Liddell.

27. SimonAlkemade

SimonAlkemade

I have been waiting for this day for a long time but now it's here :D

Thank you guys and congratulations!

28. enowesis

enowesis

well, the world is a better place.. truely.

Think about all the joy being currently experienced by so many more people out there... exciting times :)

And how fantastic is the Overdraw mode....!

29. ~monk~

~monk~

Congrats and thanx for bringing it to windows!

30. AaronC

AaronC

Its made my Windows machine twice as cool.

Hey wheres that "show prefab" button gone to from above the hieracy?

I get about 60fps average in the editor in the island demo. MBP= about 35fps average.

Thanks again

AaronC

31. Kragh

Kragh

Downloaded a trial of 2.5 for my windows machine at home yesterday night, and recieved a greeting via mail just now (it seems your automatic mail sender is quite busy :? ).
    It says:
    "Unity Trial: Welcome to Unity 2.1" in the subject line of the mail :wink:

32. mike62

mike62

Just as the iTunes Store wasn't a "real" music store until iTunes for Windows came out, I believe this release will be the most important release in the company's history for some time. Congrats to everyone on the Unity team. Keep up the great work, and here's to an exciting future!

-Mike

33. R.A.E.

R.A.E.

Today feels like easter Xmas one one day. 2.5 is out the videos are up.

Today is celebration day ! :D :D :D

Keep up the good work. You guys rock!!!

34. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

If you're in Copenhagen why not drop by the offices, wake the guys up from their post-launch celebrations, and get them to fix that, pronto! :D

You might even score an unopened Tuborg Classic!

35. Yann

Yann

Yet another huge improvement I just noticed : you can now set material tiling to decimal values - especially values inferior to 1 - so no more super small tiles that force you to re-work the UVs in an external 3D editor !

BTW, it might have worked before on some systems (US keyboards ?) but never did on French ones.

36. jashan

jashan

Yeah, I think there was a localization issue in 2.1 (I switched my Mac OS to English to fix that ;-) ). I think 2.1 only took values with decimal-dot but not with decimal-comma (and IIRC showed some very weird behavior when you tried using decimal-comma).

Ah, 2.5 simply rocks!!!

37. Kragh

Kragh

:D
    Unfortunately we haven't released anything yet, and work our asses off. Beer? Next year maybe :cry:

38. renzosan

renzosan

Hey, congratulations for the Unity for Windows release. I am a kind of busy now with a project but as soon as I finish it I will try Unity :)

39. Slayer5150

Slayer5150

Trying to download the Mac version, but getting:

"Not found (error to origin)"

40. Musashi

Musashi

congratulations, guys! I think this release is a huge step for Unity Technologies and for the indy community as well!

Can't wait to install the new release and play with the new features... ;-)

cheers
    Musashi

41. thecreatrix

thecreatrix

Hmm, I'm on the list, and I don't have any announcement in my inbox. Well, I signed up for the list, so I thought I was on it. I don't even see any announcement on the official Unity blog? And it's the day after the release. Tsk tsk. Edit: :)

Anyway...

OMFG! :eek:

I'm very looking forward to getting down to work with Unity. Thanks for the release!

42. DisTrash

DisTrash

If i order a unity indy version, need i send an email, or can i order it from the shop.

In the shop section i cannot read if the orders are for 2.5 versions.

One million thanks (and more) for your work on this app, unity team !!!

++
    :wink:

43. ryanzec

ryanzec

I think when you buy a license, you get the license at the current released version. You also get upgrades for free until the next major release (so buying now would get you 2.5 and any upgrades for free until 3.0).

44. Whimsical

Whimsical

First things first: This release is EPIC. The new GUI alone, especially the Inspector and it's import settings and previews, is absolutely worth the update. This release is simply genius.

But I have one thing though that kind of spoils my fun a bit: I have installed my license on my Mac Pro and my MacBook Pro, both under OS-X.
    The EULA reads "A license of the Software may be installed on a total two computers or virtual machines simultaneously." Again: "...a total of two computers..."
    So why am I not allowed now to register installations under Windows as well? It's still the very same two computers, just another operating system. I clearly don't plan to abandon OS-X (to the contrary, actually!), but sometimes it'd be nice for me to have a running Unity installation under Windows as well, since I have to do all my 3d-model-conversion-stuff under Windows.

Now I'd like to ask you guys at UT if it would be possible to adjust your registration server in a way that enables it to see that I'm only registering another operating system, but it's still the same two computers. After all, that's what your EULA reads. Right now, you, in a way, violate your very own EULA, at least in my humble and have-not-been-in-any-law-school opinion. ;)

But again: This release is simply fantastic. Finish your party first and take a look at my complaint later. You guys clearly deserve it.

45. DisTrash

DisTrash

Really cool infos about free upgrades to v.3.

thanks.

:wink: :wink:

46. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Ok, just to be perfectly clear... that's free upgrades until version 3 ;)

47. DisTrash

DisTrash

Yeah, sorry my english is a little strange sometimes.

:) :)

48. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Hah! Do it! :)

Perhaps you have a spam filter that blocked the email? I hear from a lot of folks who say they never received it and it turns out to be a spam filtering issue due to our bulk-send mechanism. Others turn out to just not be on the list, but AFAIK all emails were long ago completed and sent.

Whatever... :roll:

It's been spammed all over the world and a blog post is coming today with a "it's a day after our biggest release" topic. Our blog is not where we announce releases, that's for our news RSS feed, our emails, our press efforts, blah blah blah.

Our store only sells current licenses, that would be "Unity 2.x" licenses. You can buy now and as part of us telling you all that "we've released" is the fact that doing that will result in your license email offering you links that will allow you to download Unity 2.5. So go for it, it's just waiting for you!

If you're going to use your "Again" bit then don't be so selective about what you include. :)

"a total of two computers or virtual machines"

No, it is not the same "machine", you are opting to install on a (real) machine under OS X, and another (virtual) machine under Bootcamp/Parallels/etc. Those are viewed as different machines and so they're treated as unique by our licensing system. Why is that the case? Because it's a different operating system, simple. :)

Can we? Probably. Will we? Not likely. We are not violating our own EULA in any way. You are installing twice, once on your computer and "real" machine (OSX) and then a second under a virtual machines (so 1 comptuer + 1 virtual machine = 2 computers or virtual machines, license limit reached). Sorry if that's not what you want but it's how we license our tool and we feel that we're offering an extremely valuable package at a low cost given the power/features/abilities you get as a result.

49. Kragh

Kragh

What exactly are you preventing by that kind of licensing?
    I for sure agree on the part about how much you get for your money :D . But this is software... it is not like 10 copys costs more to produce than one. And he still can only work one person at that machine.
    I'm not really very much into the technical about what a virtual machine really is, but it sounds harmless to me... :D
    Just wondering, as it sounds strange in my ears...

50. thecreatrix

thecreatrix

Hey, I was being tongue in cheek. No need to be nasty. Hope your day improves.