Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2.5 for Mac and Windows available now!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Mar 18, 2009.

1. rh115

rh115

Cool, I've already downloaded it and am now experiencing Windows version.

2. slippyd

slippyd

Congrats! Hope your order department is ready for the flood! The next two years are going to be wild! (I only say so because 95% of the people I've showed Unity to in the last 4 years have been turned down by the fact that "they'd have to get a Mac, and learn how to use it to use Unity".)

Downloading to my work PC as we speak... ;-D

3. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Our email server is sending out 17000 emails today, it takes time to spam the world. :)

4. QFS

QFS

Exceeelent. Muhahaha!

BTW - Congrats to the entire Unity team!

Now lets get crazy! :D

5. artzfx

artzfx

Awesome Guys,

All software companies should have licesning like Unity!

6. jeremyace

jeremyace

Congrats on the great release guys and gals!

-Jeremy

7. AaronC

AaronC

Fantastic stuff you guys!

In a time when the worlds economy is a dogs breakfast, you have just opened up the market something wicked for Unity developers. This moment is the single most pivotal point for our client-base to expand, and for millions of windows users to feel the UT love.

What an opportunity. In this climate, this move will provide studios the world over a chance to fight off the recession, and to do it in style.

Thanks from all of us!

AaronCross
    deepwater3d.com

8. perick

perick

Congrats guys. Be prepared for the flood of brasilian users coming to this forum...

9. jashan

jashan

Ah - I LOVE Unity, I love UT, this is just so amazing it's beyond words!!! Well, there's one thread that gets "as close as it gets" (IMHO):

Overcome with Emotion *Weep*

Now ... look at when that was posted. That was even pre-2.0!!! And as far as I can tell, Unity is getting better exponentially.

Haha, and meanwhile I've also received the "Unity Flash" e-mail, so the mail-server is still working ... and the forums are also still working, amazing!!! ;-)

Celebrate a new era! :) Unity FTW!!!

Now everyone let's get busy creating incredibly cool games (or whatever else you do with Unity) and let's take over the world in Unity ;-)

10. fitzy

fitzy

Im getting an error... well not really an error because the window never even opens. When I try to start it just pops up "Unity Editor has stopped working"

I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64x

I heard that you have to do some security thing? Any body have an idea?

11. DrHotbunz

DrHotbunz

DOWNLOADING NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. DrHotbunz

DrHotbunz

Either get XP like most of us or try right clicking on the exe and changing the setting to emulate XP.

13. chadchat

chadchat

Solid. Congratulations~

14. mlapin

mlapin

Great day for us all, congrats.

Before going forward to 2.5 on MacOS, however, I would like to know if one can keep activated installations of 2.1 and 2.5 side-by-side by using the same serial. If not, how to correctly update?

15. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

Many of us have 2.5 and 2.1 (and often going back even further) running side-by-side. Just change the install directory.

16. Nitrev

Nitrev

Finally I can use the editor on Windows (Vista 64).

This sure looks very nice, especially since I'm used to Hammer (the Half-Life 2 and Source games editor). Very different, but very nice.

Gonna make the most of this :)

17. diese440

diese440

Thank you ! Congrats!

Can't wait tomorrow to try DXT compression at runtime, sounds GREAT !
    2.5 is more than a release... :D

Claude.

18. rom

rom

Looking good
    :)

19. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Could everyone stop telling everyone that the Windows version is now available?

I've grown really attached to my Mac and without an excuse to keep it, the IT department might take it away ... :S

Congrats!

20. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That's no problem...two words: Unity iPhone. There, your Mac is saved. ;)

--Eric

21. kheng

kheng

Is there any other links for the download? The one posted is getting hammered.

22. giyomu

giyomu

well I guess you will have to wait for the download wars calm down ,

Same here 1 hour passed since i got the news but cant access to teh downlaod right now ...patience should be my friend , but I am not ^^

23. foolish-frost

foolish-frost

More: You can't register either.

<grins> Anyone not expecting this does NOT understand the idea of release pains!

Oh, and hi all!

24. foolish-frost

foolish-frost

Annnd spoke too soon.

Server is slow but back up!

25. Son Kim

Son Kim

Hmm i guess shadows being grey out means it only works with the PRO version? which cost alot more then indie version. :eek:

Just playing around with the Windows demo version after 15 minutes and manage to get my mesh in with tangent space normal map, but sad to see there isn't a slot for a custom specular map.The stock Shader seem to be limited.

Things i like about Unity is the ALT + mouse navigation that's a plus :) and the QUI , workflow is intuitive so far.

26. kheng

kheng

it seems to working now. Getting over 850k now downloading.

27. giyomu

giyomu

Dynamic shadow work on pro only yes :(

for the specular map , you need to put it on the alpha channel of your diffuse map.

And I ma sure you can find a custom shader that will expose the specular map as a slot, rather than have to put it on your alpha channel.
    Or you have to make one maybe ^^

Nice looking model by the way

ANd yes the server is Back !!!!!!!!
    go download right away :p

28. Son Kim

Son Kim

Ah thanks for the info :) One last question is there anyway to change the 3D viewport field of view(i know the Camera has that option)or better yet is there a way to look at your scene thru the camera?

I really wish they would change their policy and include dynamic shadows for the indy version, because i like what i see so far but the lack of this feature makes me look elsewhere like C4, buying the PRO license for that feature would be out of my budget :[

29. Mani

Mani

Thanks for the hard work that you guys put into this. I am enjoying the tabbed view!

30. soulman901

soulman901

WOOOOOOO
    Thank you Higgy for getting this news out to us. I love these kind of surprises. In fact, I was looking at the front page noticing that it said, 2.5 Shipping and I was like, NO WAY!!! And you came back and said WAI!!!

So with that, thank you Unity and Higgy for bringing us this exciting turn of events.

31. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks for this new version, looks really nice,
    I'm trying to customize the controls to be the same as in Maya.

Alt + Middle Mouse Button = Move
    Alt + Left Mouse button = Rotate
    Alt + Left and Middle Mouse Button = Zoom
    Alt + Right Mouse = Zoom

At the moment it seems almost possible to accomplish this.
    I'm using a Wacom tablet and have been so used to this configuration for more than 10 years that I found it hard to switch all the time between Unity and Maya.

Can somebody with a tablet test if it works like this?

I have bought unity pro and unity advanced for iphone and love both products.

Mudbox and Maya already share the same controls, if unity had the same it would be perfect.

Thank you very much!!

32. Murball77

Murball77

I am trying out the windows version of 2.5
    and I have a question about the splash screen, I created a stand-a-lone windows exe and ran it so I could view the splash screen, which looks very classy btw. But when the game started there was a Unity logo on the bottom right hand side that eventually went away, is that part of the splash screen? or is that there just cause I built the sample project?

Thx

33. Maker16

Maker16

Ummmmm....Sorry if this has already been asked, but what is the release date for 3.0?

34. giyomu

giyomu

the windows version use that same control right now, mac also

35. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Ah I see, Maybe something is wrong with my tablet settings,
    Alt + Middle mouse = Move works with the mouse but not the pen on my Mac.

The only thing missing then would be
    Alt + Left and Middle Mouse Button = Zoom

If that can still be added ?

36. AaronC

AaronC

Just a reminder to everyone regarding the installation if you already have unity installed, if you find your previous project folder has vanished its probably safely in the trash. Unity tends to do this- I just renamed a project folder to avoid this prior to installation, but I still found Island Demo2 folder and about a years worth of other projects in the trash.

Just be attentitive throughout this step as this has been know to induce heart failure due to prospects of lost projects. There is a singular opportunity to customise your install, but a lot of us miss that when excitedly installing the latest unity build.

I dont think I'm an especially hopeless mac-user in this regard, I see it more as an issue with the way that the installer is built, and that until now its not been at the top of any UT developers priority list, although tidying this process up is worth looking at. Even a

WARNING: You are about to move your project to the trash!

in big letters during install would help the ol' stress levels during this "Oh no- wheres my project?!?" brief but distressing crysis period.

But as this is not the first time I have done this, the panic wasnt so bad this time:)

I hope thats usefull feedback.

I do like it, and its great to see a Publish Windows Standalone in here

BTW the NZ Downloads were quick

AaronC

37. mph

mph

I can't find any real licensing info on the Unity website.

Does a Unity license work similar to a Maya license? You buy the software and you can use it for as long as you'd like and on as many products as you'd like?

Or does Unity charge you a license fee for every product you develop using the engine?? What about royalties?

Can someone please give me some clarity on the licensing model? We're considering purchasing Unity, but this is an important factor for us.

THANKS!! :)

38. Konidias

Konidias

http://unity3d.com/unity/unity-end-user-license-2.x

edit: and to answer your questions... as far as I know, you can install unity on up to 2 machines. you can make as many games as you want with them and sell them for as much as you want, and you only have to pay for that one license. royalty free.

39. bakno

bakno

Congratulations on this new release.

We were expecting one important fix regarding paste support on text fields, but unfortunately it was not solved.

As it is now, when a user pastes a text (like a Key Code to unlock his game), if this text is styled (with font, color and size information) the game does not paste the text, instead it just makes a system beep sound.

Does anyone have a workaround for this problem?

40. aaron-parr

aaron-parr

Fantastic timing on this wonderful surprise. Thank you.

I just picked up a (new to me) G5 PowerMac last week for a few hundred bucks, and now I've got the software it deserves.

41. yangmeng

yangmeng

Does this mean we all have to like Windows now?

42. potan

potan

aarhgg... i missed the chance to download on the first day :cry:

any chance to get a mirror ??
    maybe on megaupload / rapidshare, if that's allowed of course :p

43. Lallander

Lallander

No.

44. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

LOL, can we enjoy this release for like 2 seconds?

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback so far. It makes us all here at UT so happy to finally release this for all of you.

Now get out there and make some great games!!! :wink:

45. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

That is all a byproduct of using Unity Indie.

You've been provided the EULA link already so give that a look. Our licenses are per-developer so you'll need one license per person you have using Unity to create content. But with that in mind you can create all the titles you want and you'll be buying a 2.x license so any other updates in the 2.x family are yours for free, you won't have to pay again until we release Unity 3 at some point in the distant future (more on that below :| ).

Hah, this has been answered but no, you don't have to like Windows. I'm here to make it clear now though that Mac vs. Windows bulls**t arguments will not be tolerated. Operating systems and computers are tools, neither is superior to the other and it's based on what suits you best.

+10000000000000000000000000 !!!!

I'll also echo Ethan's sentiments that the positive feedback feels good. We've been working extremely hard for a long time and it's nice to see those efforts turn into something as cool as Unity 2.5.

ROCK ON PEOPLE! :D (yes, I'm shouting a bit :) )

46. ChromeFly

ChromeFly

After playing around with the new interface, I must say...

Even if I am not externally jumping up and down in my seat, my insides feel like they're partying!

Great work, I *love* the new GUI, and it's running as smooth as anything. Thanks! :D

47. giyomu

giyomu

for the FOV you have to deal with the game scene i think , I didn't see any option that would allow to do that in the viewport, and as unity goal is making realtime app, you don't really need In my opinion in viewport, if you make a real time scnene render you will do in the game scene of unity not the viewport ?

for the shadow , well I understand your frustration ^^, you have ability to use light map for some task, about C4 , if you are a pure artist , I honnestly don't recommand until you get a good grasp of OOP language and heavy C++ knowledge ( if you want make a game at least )

;)

48. yangmeng

yangmeng

OK, OK. I was only teasing, not looking to start bs or be a Mac nazi.
    In all sincerity, congratulations on opening one of the coolest tools on the Mac to the vast majority of computer users. I am sure a lot of cool stuff for the Mac and Windows will result from it.
    I do disagree in general that one tool cannot be superior to another just because it is a tool, but I do actually agree that the Mac/Windows debate is mainly a person preference.
    So, just for peace's sake I will try to like Windows (someone find Bill so I can give him a hug). (teasing again)

49. Murball77

Murball77

Now the logo on the right hand side, does that display for every scene(level) in the game as the player progresses, or is it displayed only once when the client loads up the game? (Example my character is outside, and I enter a building)

Also the configuration window that pops open when you click the exe, can that be customized or removed.
    for example if we wanted to have the graphical settings directly in the game instead of before it pre-loads etc...

50. moon cresta

moon cresta

hi,
    Congratulations!

now i can test an old example project > "a mario? type 3rd person camera"

but i can´t find. WHERE? H E L P!!! :D