Search Unity

Unity 2.5 Coming Soon! (the official announcement)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~LK~

~LK~

The Unity indie version has a watermark? If so, in what form?

2. jashan

jashan

Not exactly a watermark. See first posting of this thread (there's an FAQ):

Sunny regards,
    Jashan

3. ~LK~

~LK~

I checked it again, and found nothing on watermarks concerning Unity Indie. I did see a Splash screen at the beginning of your game for Indie, but that's not even close to being a watermark. Are people incorrectly calling the splash screen requirement a watermark, or am I just missing the info somewhere.

< To clarify, a watermark to my definition is a constant mark on the screen during game play.>

4. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

@~LK~
    You are right about the definition of watermark, and you're right about people misunderstanding. There is no watermark in Unity Indie 2.5 as I understand it, only a splash screen.

5. TJB

TJB

The current web player published with indie and played on windows has a water mark. That's probably why the term popped up. But I'm pretty sure this is disappearing with 2.5 and they're just going to have splash screens.

6. ~LK~

~LK~

Thanks guys for the clarification. A "true" watermark would be a no-go for me so My heart was skipping a couple beats.

I don't mind splash screens, in fact I would include one regardless (as long as their not cheesy like certain other engines I won't name).

Thanks again

7. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

You can get publishing, but the rest of that is Pro-only so I'm not sure what we can offer you other than an abso-freakin'-lutely amazing tool for only $199, or an even better and more amazing tool for only $1499. :)

And as noted, Mac/Win publishing is coming to Indie in the Unity 2.5 release.

8. yeti42

yeti42

just because you put it like that, i'll be checking it out.

9. ryanzec

ryanzec

I could care less about the videos and c++ plugin support but, and forgive me fore asking, what is render to texture? I tried googling it and I did not find any real descriptive results.

10. Oniken

Oniken

May I ask what is render to texture?

11. nickavv

nickavv

From what I understand, it lets you render a camera onto the texture of a different object.

A good example would be a Jumbotron screen at a sporting event.

Not sure what other uses it might have. :p

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

render to texture are in the DX universe commonly called Render Targets, in OpenGL commonly FrameBufferObjects (FBOs).

What they do is allow you to render the camera view into a texture buffer instead of the back buffer, so you can use the texture as "data buffer" for further shaders.

They are required for some specific post rendering effects and especially for reflection refraction and shadows.

But thats more or less about it, a large amount of shader effects don't require render textures.
    Examples for that are Normal mapping, parallax mapping, relief mapping or the terrains realtime texture blending.

13. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Render to textures are post effects. They are used for rendering what the camera sees and either applying it to textures or having post effect textures put on top of it.

Edit: Geez. Lets all just post the answer all at once, shall we? :p

14. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Render to texture is... oh, wait, I don't wanna be fourth in line. :)

@yeti42: do it, with a quick first hand exploration of Unity I think you'll find yourself quite pleased with how enabling our tool really is.

15. chrisk

chrisk

Hi all, RenderTarget access quite interesting to me.
    I asked a question what license is requred to get an access to RenderTarget. I found an answer here that I need at least a pro. I'm new to UT and let me please ask a newbie question.

I would like to access D3D surface pointer to RT. Is RT in UT an abtracted object? I haven't seen an API description about it but C++ plugin comes to my mind. Is this possible using c++ plugin? If so, I would appreciate if someone can show me how to access RT in UT. The c++ plugin example is too simple and does show how to access any UT objects.

The reason I'm asking is that I would like to overlay WPF on top of UT and I need a handle of RT surface.
    Thank you very much.

16. 1stAnd10

1stAnd10

So....I'm ready. :)

No...seriously, I am. So...you can...put it up for download anytime that is good for you. Seriously I'm not kidding guys, I really am ready for it. So...yeah. :)

17. DrHotbunz

DrHotbunz

Render in texture is what I need to make my Jumbo-tron in the outfield kick ass !

18. chrisk

chrisk

Cool, Did you write a custom plug-in or UT abstract it and let you use RT texture as form of texture in the Editor?
    Being able to use it just in the editor does not help in my case.
    Can we access the RT surface pointer from C++ plugin?

Thanks.

19. Dreamora

Dreamora

Unity lets you use rentertextures like other textures :)

You only need C++ plugins for graphical stuff if you want to implement some quite advanced stuff. Mainly I would say its not used for graphical stuff as that is pretty simple and powerfull in Unity, but to add specific functionality from C libraries.

Good examples for that are the wii remote plugin, alternative networking libraries etc.

C++ plugins through are no trivial thing. You need to be an advanced C# user to have fun there as you must write interfacing code (System.InteropServices) to work with the plugin. It will not appear as regular .NET functionality that you can just use.

20. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

Let's try to keep conversation here focused on 2.5. You can access the RenderTexture inherits from Texture and as dreamora said, it can be accessed by scripts just like other textures in Unity. If you have questions about how RenderTextures work, please post them to the support, scripting or shaders section (I guess it could really depend on the nature of what you are doing with a render texture as to which would be most appropriate).

21. chrisk

chrisk

Thanks, I posted a question on other forum but I didn't get answers, intested I found it here. sorta..

I know C++ and C#, and I guessed RTT is used like normal textures in the editor. My question is that will UT expose API to get to the RTT surface handle or not though c++ plugin or other method.
    This is an important criteria whether I should buy pro or not.

That's all.

Thanks.

22. Jademyr

Jademyr

Ok - so I just wanted to share this with you. (I'ts in swedish - but you'll get the picture) As you probably know, when you startup Chrome you get a overview of your "most visited pages". I my browser unity3d.com is in 4th place, just behind Google Reader (which I use ALL THE TIME) and two swedish newssites.

Should I see a doctor about this? :?

I just can't stop checking, just in case, just to be sure.

Attached Files:

23. Yann

Yann

Oroa er inte, vi är alla i samma båt :D

24. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

I'd think its quite natural :wink:

25. nickavv

nickavv

That's pretty slick looking Ant. :) What is it?

26. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Safari (v.4).

--Eric

27. jashan

jashan

Yeah man, you *should* see a doctor about not having unity3d.com on spot ONE!!!

Now let's try a little hypnosis-affirmation therapy:

I love Unity. I love Unity. I love Unity.
    Unity is the best. Unity is the best. Unity is the best.
    Unity is my number one. Unity is my number one. Unity is my number one.

Can you feel it, huh? Feels good, doesn't it? No need for a doctor anymore - everything is just perfectly fine ;-)

MUAHAHAHA... Unity FTW!!!

28. Fishypants

Fishypants

Soooooo, i've decided that ill post this same question every 2 weeks. That's not obsessive is it? :D

Anyways, any idea of how much longer it will be till I can empty my bank account into your guys' pockets? I needz teh Unity plz. Kthxbye.

29. 1stAnd10

1stAnd10

It has come to this. :)

Attached Files:

30. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Lolcats now is it? This has gotten pretty nuts. :D

31. Dreamora

Dreamora

That happens if people shift the development focus over to "what shall I do now ..." focus ^^

32. Merries

Merries

I was surprised at the picture with the kitten, he looks so relaxed. Its very rare for them to spread out like that exposing their belly and neck. That is one comfy kitty waiting for Unity :)

33. minevr

minevr

Only . Day! :arrow:

34. ~LK~

~LK~

Guess this is still on topic?? :wink:

35. DisTrash

DisTrash

Hi !

Just a question : If i begin to work with an indie version and after a moment i upgrade to pro version, all will be converted ? (functions and my works) I don't know.

Water for example, will upgrade and become reflective or i need to do something to change ?

I don't know if i'm really clear...

:roll:

Thanks a lot !!

;)

36. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

First thing is that this isn't related to Unity 2.5 so if you want to continue asking about Unity in general then please post your questions in an appropriate location (Gossip for example). Second, no, things won't magically convert or change, you need to take steps to do that. If you want water to become reflective/refractive then you'll have to use an appropriate shader and that means making those changes yourself. To be clear, your project will open and run without any needed changes, it's just that you will need to make edits if you want to add new (Pro) functionality.

37. Konidias

Konidias

and I hope you don't see that as a bad thing... not everyone buys pro to get reflective water. I know it would turn out to be more of a hassle if all of the pro features automatically enabled themselves in your game. then you'd have people needing to do things to stop Unity from changing their game... which is kind of annoying.

It's much better the way it is. If you want those features enabled, just enable them in the pro version. Simple stuff. :)

38. CogCode

CogCode

I will say now that I have a new little Mac Mini, I'm less concerned about the Windows version of the tools, although that WILL be quite nice.

However, I AM really looking forward to the 2.5 features.

But 2.1 is still pretty darned fantastic. I'm really liking this environment and engine.

39. DisTrash

DisTrash

Thanks a lot HiggyB !! :wink: :wink:

Sorry to had post in a bad place.

Have a nice day !
    Regards.

++
    :wink:

40. minevr

minevr

:x

Countdown??!?!?! :wink:

41. tintin

tintin

What's that mean?

42. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I think he wants a countdown to launch timer. :)

We're in the launch window (around GDC), the shuttle is on the launch pad, it's getting fueled up and you just have to hang in there for the actual "go with throttle up" event...

43. minevr

minevr

我有很多小秘密,就不告诉你,就不告诉你..... :evil: :D

Secret :!:

What time? Night here. I go to bed. :p

44. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Rough translation:

"I have very many small secrets, does not tell you, does not tell you."

That's right, the release date will be known when we make it public, until then you'll have to do like I said above, hang in there.

45. G3David

G3David

goes off to make space shuttle sim, just for kicks +1

46. etoiles

etoiles

Hope the analogy ends there... the last shuttle launch was delayed :wink:

47. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Well, Unity 2.5 launch is already delayed (from some internal overly-optimistic launch date that never happened)!

48. cwainman

cwainman

Well, now they have to add all the iPhone 3.0 stuff.

49. ryanzec

ryanzec

Well at least Untiy and Unity iPhone are separate products so that won't be the reason :)

50. 1stAnd10

1stAnd10

I predict nothing happens until next week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.