Search Unity

Unity 2.5 Coming Soon! (the official announcement)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stevenup7002

Stevenup7002

Are we ther.. okay, I'm just gonna stop causing trouble now, and patiently wait for the update. :D

2. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Hah, you made it that long before asking? I was that kid too! When you do this for a living you have to have some tolerance, folks are excited and eager and I get that. I just want people to look around at least a little bit before asking questions, that's all.

Carry on y'all!

3. DrHotbunz

DrHotbunz

I been patiently doing tutorials and working on my games artwork. The artwork is looking very sweet. I even am working on optimizing models and textures.

But I do check back every evening to see if 2.5 is out yet :>

4. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

RSS feeds FTW y'all.

http://unity3d.com/news.rss

Subscribe to that in your favorite RSS reader and let the news come to you! :D

5. flaminghairball

flaminghairball

HiggyB: Why aren't you making money off this?
    Charge $10 to tell people what you know.
    You could be rich :p

6. LucindaMcNary

LucindaMcNary

That is what I am doing and all the mods I am making for use with other software will work with Unity. The tutorials are enough information to get into plus learning a bit of Java. I think a lot of this excitement is born from the frustration a lot of Windows users have with the current software out there, not with Unity. People are just excited and that is a good thing for this company.

Very funny about the "are we there yet". We have 14 year old twins. Whoever said that road trips and staying in hotel rooms was a FUN vacation, lies. One of the many things we aren't told before we decide to have kids.

7. Matroblend

Matroblend

So so true I have tried almost everything that is affordable for a indie developer from point and click to full source code and it was either so out of date or you would need a 20 member team to get anything out of it. Not to mention the total lack of tools and exporters.

You said it all I have nothing to add but AMEN

8. soulman901

soulman901

Higgy,
    Any chance of an SMS Message to my phone the day it comes out? I'm paying for a Data Plan on my phone and I would like to see at least some better use out of it than relatives sending me messages about someone being beat by Grandma in the drinking games they play.

9. Teut

Teut

Soulman, get an iphone and install a RSS reader 8)

10. DisTrash

DisTrash

Hello,

If the demo version, will be a pro or indy version ?

I think have possibility install a demo version indy and pro, will help to compare or just test.

But i think only a pro demo version will exist.

Thanks.
    I am very excited, and hope Unity will arrive quick :wink:

Like everybody i think.

Best Regards.
    :wink: :wink: :wink:

11. jashan

jashan

With 2.1, there was a downloadable Indie evaluation - but you could also request a Pro evaluation. I think it's likely that it will be the same with 2.5.

12. Bugfoot

Bugfoot

Sorry if this has been answered already, but how easy will it be to port a Unity project from Mac to Windows with the 2.5 release? Will it just be copy paste folder, or will it be more involved?

13. jashan

jashan

Yeah, I think it has been answered before ;-)

There's no "porting" involved. You just open your project - either on Mac or on Windows. Actually, you can already do Windows, Mac and Web player builds with Unity 2.1 (at least in Pro) it's only the editor that runs only on Mac in 2.1 - the games run on both platforms.

The only difference with 2.5 on that side is that you can now also do your builds from a Windows machine ... and you can build to both platforms also with the Indie version.

14. Bugfoot

Bugfoot

I was just wondering if any kind of manual project files conversion will be necessary to port a Unity project created under MacOS to a Window project.

But you seem to be saying that it will be a simple matter of copying the files from the Mac to the Windows machine, so I'm happy with that :)

15. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Correct. Just copy the project (*).

(*) Just to be safe: you can run into situations where this does not work. For example, if some of the files in your project are named so that the filenames become invalid on Windows (e.g. if filename has ? or *, etc.). Another possible case: if you use some mesh files that are OS X only (e.g. native Cheetah 3D files - those can't be imported on Windows).

16. soulman901

soulman901

I have an HTC Touch Pro through Sprint. I can probably get RSS through that I guess. Now if there is one product I would stay away from, it's the iPhone since it's tied to AT&T. For $69.99 a month, I get Unlimited Data with Text Messages. AT&T can't even match that deal.

17. la1n

la1n

It's important for us as developer and for our lectures in the university.

Thanks for any answer.

18. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Did you ask a question? :)

19. Fishypants

Fishypants

It's important for me as well. :p

20. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

My guess is that the mysterious question-less post is from someone who didn't read the thread only the subject.

So... if you read the subject and then the post. Ia1n's post makes much more sense.

Subject:
    Release? March / April / May?
    la1n wrote:
    It's important for us as developer and for our lectures in the university.
    Thanks for any answer.

21. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Ah yes, I fell into that trap as I simply *never* read someone's post subject, only the post content.

At this point I'll go into a mild fit... Wait... Wait... Back now. Now I'll instruct the poster to read back a few pages as this question has been answered too many times for me to regurgitate it yet again... :)

22. ryanzec

ryanzec

It has been stated, many times, that they trying to release it around the time of the GDC which is March 23-27.

23. Yann

Yann

A 3D chatroom in a Unity webplayer, with our avatars chatting, eating, sleeping on the pavement at the front of a "Unity shop", until the release... just like Apple's big events... and around March 23-27, tada ! the doors would open and we could enter the shop and download Unity 2.5 from the web player itself.

And there would even be a virtual Higgy who would never sleep and answer the same few questions again and again.

Anyone ? :wink:

24. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

LOL!

It's coming folks, I *definitely* get the interest and excitement levels and we're all working very hard to get this puppy ready to ship!

So hang in there y'all. :D

25. DrHotbunz

DrHotbunz

bring it on

26. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

That virtual queue idea isn't bad at all. I've already got the TomBot "answer='read previous pages'" avatar right here:

27. Yann

Yann

LOL, first brick laid ! :D

28. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

If you crowd the front door too much I'll have to beat back the crowd with my whuppin' stick:

29. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

I've written a piece of code that will solve the whole situation of people asking about Unity's release date.

Code (csharp):
    1. var higgyB : Human ("Tom Higgins");
    2. var victim : Human ();
    4. private var higgyAngerLevel = 0;
    5. private var victimHeartbeat = 120;
    7. function Update ()
    8. {
    9.     if (victim asks about Unity 2.5's release date or other mentioned question)
    10.     {
    11.         higgyAngerLevel++;
    12.     }
    14.     if (higgyAngerLevel>=10)
    15.     {
    16.         higgyKillsYou ();
    17.         victim attempts to run for his/her freakin life;
    18.     }
    20.     if (victimHeartbeat = 0)
    21.     {
    22.         victimDead ();
    23.     }
    24. }
    26. function higgyKillsYou ()
    27. {
    28.     higgyB grabs victim's neck;
    30.     if (knife nearby)
    31.     {
    32.         higgyB stabs victim;
    33.         yield WaitForSeconds (5);
    34.         higgyB slits victim's throat;
    35.     }
    36.     else
    37.     {
    38.         return ();
    39.     }
    41.     higgyB snaps victim's neck;
    42.     yield WaitForSeconds (3);
    43.     victimHeartbeat = 0;
    45.     higgyB burns remains of victim;
    47.     while (victims body burns)
    48.     {
    49.         higgyB laughs maniaclly;
    50.     }
    52.     higgyAngerLevel = 0;
    53.     higgyB (and "Others") pretend nothing happened;
    54. }
    56. function victimDead ()
    57. {
    58.     see dark;
    59.     print ("You are dead. If you were patient enough, you would get Unity 2.5 instead of rotting in Higgy's furnace");
    61.     if (victim believes in "GOD" ())
    62.     {
    63.         victim confronts "GOD" ();
    64.         victim wets him/her self;
    66.         if (victim puts "Ned Flanders" worshipping to shame)
    67.         {
    68.             victim goes to heaven;
    69.             victim realizes there's a shortage of chairs;
    70.         }
    71.         else if (victim lives a normal life)
    72.         {
    73.             victim goes to hell;
    74.             victim learns to play poker and the accordion;
    75.         }
    76.         else
    77.         {
    78.             victim waits in purgatory;
    79.             victim meets "Richard Nixon" and wonders why he is here;
    80.         }
    81.     }
    82.     else if (victim is Atheist)
    83.     {
    84.         victim explores the universe as a soul and discovers "Alien civilizations";
    85.         victim laughs due to newly acquired knowledge of universe;
    86.     }
    87.     else
    88.     {
    89.         victim makes love to 72 virgins;
    90.     }
    91. }
    :D

30. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I can't get your code to compile. Was it written for Unity 2.5, and is not compatible with 2.1 maybe? Speaking of which, when will Unity 2.5 be out?

--Eric

31. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

I'll help with a drill (with realtime depth of field effect, see!).

Attached Files:

32. Yann

Yann

I went directly to line 89, works great here...

Ouch ! which one do you chose ? the grizzli or the whuppin' stick ?

@Higgy : looking over my shoulder, my wife said "Hey, I know that American actor !"

33. Yann

Yann

...that's it, and the anaglyph script of course !

34. soulman901

soulman901

OWWW, I had my Nvidia 3D Glasses on at the time I read this post and then I got your picture of the drill and my left eye had been poked out.
    Good going.

35. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

@Aras: Good to know I've got backup!

@Yann: Hah!

36. soulman901

soulman901

I don't know how long I can hang in there....
    Hey, what's that bird doing walking down the branch I wonder.......

37. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

@soulman901: I used that exact same image on one of my moto forums recently. Nothing like a cute lil' cat "hangin' in there" to keep peeps motivated!

38. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Kittens? I'm more of a dog fan myself...

Attached Files:

39. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I nominate Big-K for post of the year. :D :D :D

40. soulman901

soulman901

I got a good laugh out of that one.

41. ChromeFly

ChromeFly

@bigkahuna
    LOL! That's one of the funniest things I've seen in a while...

@HiggyB
    Come on... we all know that stick's just Photoshopped in there! Now Aras... that's frightening. :p

42. yeti42

yeti42

When 2.5 arrives and we can develop on windows machines, will there be any changes to the licenses. By that I can clarify with a question: What would motivate an indie developer to buy the indie license with the intention of working in windows when he/she can't even publish an executable without buying pro?

Personally I think some of the features missing in the indie license are standard at this point (video embedding missing...really?) in many engines' indie licenses. This is all based on the comparison page on the main unity site, and I apologize if this has already been answered. If I can't get publishing, video, C++ plugin support, and Render to Texture with an indie license, I won't be able to use Unity anytime soon. :(

43. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Read. The. Topic. Or at least the first message. ;)

They have to put something in Pro. No matter what they choose, the choices will annoy somebody, somewhere. Personally I don't really care about video or C++ plugins, and don't use them even though I have Pro.

--Eric

44. yeti42

yeti42

Woops, sorry I don't know how I missed it with the publishing issue (i was actually going to edit my post but you got to it first :) ) . And yea I guess they can't please everyone, and I could live without the C++ plugins. Video and Render-to-Texture are usually a big part in my projects so eventually I'll have to buy pro if I decide to move forward with unity. I'll have to play with the indie version to see if I can find another way to do what I need (I think I can afford that at least).

P.S. Power to the Erics

~Eric

45. Dreamora

Dreamora

Thats clarified on the first page I think: Indie is able to publish to both platforms but will have the splash screen on both as well.

Pro has no splash screen and has the additional features mentioned on the page which you found. There were no changes to that announced so far.
    Beside video, mainly advanced features are Pro only, features that require more time than a hobbiests spare time offers for example.

If you use Unity to earn money with it, the $1500 are peanuts. You won't find a even basically comparable technology at that price.
    Either you get the visual part, get the editor or get both and pretty heavy licensing restrictions.

After all the unity license grants you free upgrades during the 2.x, unlimited published projects and no royalities

EDITED wording to prevent confusion

46. yeti42

yeti42

That I love, and upgrading in a .x version is standard in software releases, but again I misposted earlier about publishing, sorry.

47. Dreamora

Dreamora

Not really
    The common in professional engine technology (Unity is no hobbiests engine when we take its capability and professional editor and workflow into consideration) like Unity is that you either have to pay for an X month upgrade contract or that you have to show logos and pay royality, so the ongoing development is funded.
    Actually neither is required in Unity, not even the logo requirement.

There are a few exceptions to that, but most of them don't qualify as professional technology. Be it because the rendering features don't qualify or because the editor / workflow is worlds away from beeing professional.

But thats likely something that everyone will see a bit different.
    But after my past experience with OGRE / NeoAxis, Torque, Power Render and other "professional 3D engines", I've to say that Unity Pro was the first which one was really worth its license fee. To ensure that this is not missunderstood: The others are nice as well but they all have at least one major issue and the effort required to work around them has cost me more in development time than the $300 - $1000 that Unity Pro cost more.
    I use Unity professionally and value my time vs the cost something has.

48. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Well, so far Unity's .x releases have been pretty substantial upgrades that add real features, which in a lot of other software would have been enough to bump up the major version number. So you get something of value instead of a couple of minor bug fix releases.

--Eric

49. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

--Eric vs. ~Eric. New Eric is less stable?

50. yeti42

yeti42

Na, just new to Unity and these forums. And I do like all the features. I really just want to get my hands on it when 2.5 releases, and until that happens, all I can do is, well, ask and be proven wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.