Search Unity

Unity 2.5 Coming Soon! (the official announcement)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Next week some time. We'll be in touch with those who wrote over the weekend or early next week.

Nope, you won't find that in 2.5. Keep in mind that the vast majority of new features in 2.5 are focused on the editor so don't expect much on the run-time front for now.

2. pBarrelas

pBarrelas

Ok , thanks on your clarification!!

3. sofakng

sofakng

Awesome, thanks! I think I replied within a few hours of newsletter being sent out :)

I can't wait! (too bad it won't be before this weekend) :)

4. Neodrop

Neodrop

Good question :!:

5. blackwind

blackwind

i have one more question.
    Will 2.5 have a new price? (i'm not talking about the upgrade, but for buying a new license).

Thanks a lot.

6. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

The pricing for 2.5 is not changing. (this is already answered before, but yeah, hard to dig that up)

7. ChromeFly

ChromeFly

FYI, Tom's maintaining an FAQ on page 1. Cool stuff.

8. soulman901

soulman901

Oh man, I saw the front page and now my eyes are all misty and teary eyed....
    I'm so happy.....
    Thank you Tom and Unity

9. blackwind

blackwind

thanks. I've just noticed that the faq has been updated hehe.

10. Learner

Learner

Hi there,

I have not tried Unity yet but I have been visiting this forum for a while. I am just waiting Windows version to know if I can use it to develop my Platformer project with it.

Something very funny and shows you are doing well your job is , in each of my favorite forums there is a topic about Unity:

3DGS: http://www.coniserver.net/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=245877#Post245877

Shiva: http://developer.stonetrip.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=2&func=view&id=7232&catid=32

Quest3D: http://forum.quest3d.com/index.php?topic=63975.0

DXStudio: http://dxstudio.com/forumtopic.aspx?topicid=cb90c0db-e3ea-4aa8-9c4b-8ea345b15c26

Good luck with Windows version

Learner

11. parnell

parnell

How does one get in on the beta?
    I signed up for the Unity updates...Do i need to buy 2.1? I'll do that right now if that gets me in on the 2.5beta.

Thanks for the info!
    B

12. defmech

defmech

Owning 2.1 doesn't get you in on the beta. I think there are only two ways to get it right now: participate in the Global Game Jam or have a strong, existing personal and professional relationship with UT.

13. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

...I wonder if love affairs count as "strong personal relationship" *ducks*

Serious though, yes, that's correct. An easy way to get onto 2.5 early release is to participate in the Global Game Jam.

14. simonre

simonre

@Learner. Thanks for the links. Interesting reading - I now see why Tom and co are so... what's the word... happy :)

15. dongke

dongke

Will U3d support making any 3D model into Terrain and paint trees on them ? not just on Terrain surface?

16. thecreatrix

thecreatrix

I'm way looking forward to this release!

Hope this wasn't covered elsewhere already, but what version of Mono will Unity 2.5 use?

17. Dreamora

Dreamora

Lets hope 2.2, would love to use the SIMD stuff and would love to see Unity use it for its vector/matrix ops (unless Unity already uses MMX / SSE)

18. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

We're not upgrading Mono for 2.5 release. Why? Because it always took 3 months in the past. Sometime later.

SIMD is all nice in theory, but in practice, it does not work on vectors that have three components (like Vector3). It needs vectors with four components (like Vector4, which probably none of you use in your games).

19. jashan

jashan

2.6 pretty please!? ;-)

The version of Mono that Unity currently uses has a few not-so-nice limitations, like generics being not as performant as they are in Mono now, performance counters being completely broken (yes, I *would* use them - the code is even already implemented, only it doesn't work with Unity-Mono ;-) ).

Oh, and I just read:

(Release Notes)

Sorry for being off-topic ... I'm really looking forward to Unity 2.5 ... but ... you know ... maybe updating Mono for Unity 2.6 is much easier now than it was last time (hope never dies ;-) )

20. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Which of the above you're interested? I don't see any use for AOT compilation on a desktop platform, for example.

21. jashan

jashan

Actually, I was thinking of Unity iPhone for the AoT stuff. If there now is full AoT compilation available in Mono, my hope would be that this gets us a bit closer to ".NET 2.0" on the iPhone.

I just didn't mention that to avoid people getting confused and thinking that Unity 2.5 is also an iPhone update (it is not, there's no Unity iPhone update announced ATM ;-) ). That is, of course, "long-term-thinking" ;-)

But I just found another thing which may be relevant (is it correct that Unity still uses Mono 1.2.5? OMG!!!):

... maybe all those bugs being fixed will make porting Mono 2.2 to be used with Unity much much less painful and time-consuming? I guess once Mono 2.2 has proven to be somewhat stable that would really be a worthwhile project ;-)

22. Dreamora

Dreamora

the problem there is not AoT but that .NET 2.0 with AoT would be seriously large spacewise, which will not work anymore. (the current corelib is already 8.xMB)
    .NET 2.0 would only be an option with stripping and I don't think that the feature gap between Basic Advanced is intend to ever include basic scripting capabilities, as it would put Unity iPhone in a very problematic light (it tells the interested developer that they want to force you to buy the Advanced and that Basics only a "getting in touch" license) and help the rest of the non-licensees to decide towards Shiva and iTorque, where there is no such drastic feature gap in the scripting language itself between the indie and commercial licenses. This is something that the devs surely don't want to happen and I as Unity iPhone dev would naturally prefer to have more devs on the iPhone here as well :)

23. jashan

jashan

I've replied to this in:

Is .NET 2.0 support coming soon?
    http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=119657

... sorry for drifting off-topic ;-)

24. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

As has been stated, Global Game Jam participation is the only open avenue right now. Going beyond that, if you want to be involved in the future then it's good to become an active user and part of the community and go from there.

Will we ever? We might, I dunno. Will we in Unity 2.5? No.

Seriously. :) Mono is not being updated in 2.5, so let that end all Mono related chatter here so we can all stay on topic, m'kay?

25. RPGKHFan

RPGKHFan

Two things. First, I second this with the point that people may make terrains in something like Blender so that they can make caves, for example, but then need to paint trees on in Unity. So we would be able to have user created terrains and paint objects onto them.
    Second, I wouldn't be calling Unity U3d because of this: http://www.ultimate3d.org/ as to avoid confusion(Obviously not on this forum). Just a point. May be a little off topic, sorry.

26. jashan

jashan

Btw, the name of the engine is Unity. Not Unity3D. Only the domain name is unity3d.com. Not that people end up thinking Unity 2.5 is the 2.5D version of Unity (trying to be on topic almost as hard as I can, but man, it's late over here ;-) ).

27. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

28. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

</off-topic>

Now! :|

29. Anim

Anim

Hi all,

I think i read the entire thread but here goes a few questions from an Indy tinkerer...

1. Will Indy 2.5 have any other features from pro like real-time shadows, advanced water reflections etc? I would love to tinker with these features and i personally feel a unity branded splash screen across all my creations is enough of a limitation to separate the two.

2. Will there be any more free upgrades after 2.5 in the 2.x range or will you be looking to go straight to version 3, i see 2.5 as a major release and quite surprised it not ver 3.

3. Will Unity code completion or other features of modern programming editors be supported?

4. Please produce more tutorials, simple workshop examples are good too. :D

Thanks
    Geoff

30. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

1. I'd say no, or else this would have been mentioned by now.
    2. Good question.
    3. You can already use whatever programming editor you like.

--Eric

31. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

No.

Yes, 2.5 is "meaty" but not enough for a 3.0 upgrade as its primary focus is the Windows editor and it wouldn't be fair to charge Mac users for that. It's still to be decided what comes next, another 2.x update or 3.0. With that in mind the chances are quite high that there will be at least one more 2.x update to close up any bugs and issues the pop up with the 2.5 release.

Not in this release AFAIK.

In parallel we're working on some Resource updates for the website so look for a refresh there, partially timed with the 2.5 launch as well as afterwards.

32. n0mad

n0mad

Hi there :)

I'm a forthcoming new license acquirer, just waiting for the 2.5 to let my mouse hit the Cash button.

But one question I can't answer myself yet :

Will Unity for iPhone 2.5, Windows version, still require a Mac to make our apps validated by Apple ?

You would be God among Gods for PC users if you kick the Mac mandatory nightmare away :)

EDIT : Oh damn, just looked at posts before .... Got my sad answer :(

33. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Read through this thread and notably check out page 1, post 1 (mine) as it contains a FAQ.

I'll stop you right there for a moment. :)

We've announced that Unity 2.5 is coming, separately we have Unity iPhone at version 1.0.1 (it's a separate application that shares licensing with Unity). As per the FAQs I'm keeping (page 1, post 1) there are no Unity iPhone updates coming as part of this release, that will come separately some time after 2.5.

As has been covered in this thread already, Unity iPhone will remain a Mac-only application for the time being due in large part to the fact that Unity builds a XCode project and so you'll need XCode to "complete the job" (XCode is Mac-only). In the future that may change so folks on Windows can at least edit those projects, but for now that's not the case.

34. ryanzec

ryanzec

Just wondering what version of C# will Unity Support?

35. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Mostly C# 2.0, possibly with some bits of C# 3.0, not sure. Right now we use Mono 1.2.5.

36. n0mad

n0mad

Ok, thank you for your quick answer, and sorry for my misunderstandings.

Well, as soon as I have the money to buy a Mac, I'll take a license ;)

37. ryanzec

ryanzec

Any reason you guys are not using Mono 1.9.0 or 2.0.x releases?

38. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

I said this before already: because we didn't have time to upgrade yet. In the past, upgrading Mono was always taking months of development time.

39. tranquil

tranquil

Not sure if anybody mentioned/read it yet, but the makers
    of shaderfx ( a node based shader editor for 3dsmax ) now that it will be available on windows soon,
    had posted on cgtalk about implementing a direct unity3d export for the shaders created ( atm it can export to fxcomposer among others). That's good news : )
    They got a free version of shaderfx up since a couple of days too( for individuals or companies smaller than 2).
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=721860
    (scroll down, his name is kees)

40. twintower31

twintower31

Hi,
    About Mono 2.0, I saw a presentation where Miguel de Icaza talked about an optimization option of compilation in Mono that optimizes a lot (2 or 4 *better the same C++ operations !) concerning quaternion and vector math stuff.

Did Unity team use it in the 2.5 version ?

41. VegasDev

VegasDev

Are there any functional differences due to the Windows environment that might affect current workflow?

42. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

There are various improvements to workflow. Other differences? I don't know, maybe not...

43. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Sorry to be blunt but that seems unrelated to Unity 2.5 so let's not include discussion on that here (let's stay on topic). :)

Aras _just_ discussed that like four posts before yours (we're using Mono 1.2.5 and aren't upgrading in this release).

No, the functionality and workflow will be the same on both Mac and Windows.

44. iBrent

iBrent

Hey Tom, regarding this comment, I've sent you a PM, but I don't know if you got it yet (it's still in my outbox).

:D

iBrent

45. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Received, I'll reply soon. :)

46. simonre

simonre

Tom, Isn't that pm off-topic? :)

Tabs look great in the new GUI - will be great when those make it in future to the iphone release.

47. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Touché! Now let's stop this before I ban myself...

48. MadJack

MadJack

HiggyB:
    Unity 2.5 announcement plus one word in french !
    Too much... :wink:

49. jashan

jashan

By now everyone knows that 2.5 is not an upgrade for iPhone but ... dare I ask: What about Unity Wii? Will the Wii license come to Windows with 2.5, or "a bit later" or is the situation more like with the iPhone?

50. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Wii license never comes with standard Unity; it's a separate purchase. So it won't "just come" with 2.5 either.

But to answer your real question: Unity Wii is derived from Unity 2.1 right now.

Our plan is to merge back all product lines (standard Unity, Unity iPhone and Unity Wii) after Unity 2.5 is shipped. That's a plan and not a promise, of course (I just have to play safe!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.