Search Unity

Unity 2.1 Web Player

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by tgraupmann, Apr 12, 2009.

1. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

Is the Unity 2.1 Web Player download still available?

This is my biggest Unity fear (chat from freenode.net/unity3d)

2. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

All 2.x games should be compatible with the 2.5 webplayer. If something broke then either Unity made a mistake somewhere and needs to know about it so they can fix it ASAP or he was using unsupported API.

3. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

Certainly wasn't using an unsupported API, but 2.5 definitely broke my game. I am still attempting to isolate the exact line of my code that triggers the bug, but in the mean time - if anyone has Mac and Windows copies of the 2.1 webplayer installer - it would make lots of my users really happy :)

4. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

If you experienced mass content breakage then we need to know about that ASAP. With a beta program that sum total had nearly 400 people I'd be surprised if such a potentially egregious miss actually happened. Details? Links?

5. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

» Details here

To see this firsthand, try playing any in-browser version of Mars Explorer older than 1.9.5. If you have the 2.5 player, the "ride" camera (press "1" or hold "Alt") will be totally messed up - if you downgrade to 2.1, everything should work perfectly.
    » Play Mars Explorer

Unfortunately, I have been extremely busy for the last several days - and it may be a couple more before I get a chance to debug this in depth.

If someone has access to the 2.1 plugin installers for Mac and Windows, it would be much appreciated.

-Aubrey

6. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

7. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

Thanks!
    Much appreciated.

I will get back to you on my findings as soon as I get a chance to go through my code in detail.

8. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

A quick and easy fix might be to re-build the games using Unity 2.5. Users will be asked to upgrade their web player (which is quick and easy), and your games should work if they work in the editor.

9. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

Just got a chance to go through my code (sorry for the delay - I had an unexpected week long trip during which I had no time to spare on anything else), and unfortunately, the issue is as simple and easily reproducible as it is fatal.

Consider the following GameObject hierarchy:

GO1
    >GOA
    GO2
    >GOA

And the following javascript:

print(GO2.Find("GOA").GetComponent(Transform).root.gameObject.name);

If run in the 2.5 webplayer, "GO1" will be printed - instead of "GO2", as would be printed by 2.1.

Since I was using this type of logic to configure in-game object linkages (such as the aforementioned camera ride positions), all my published 2.1 games are now dysfunctional.

Looks like a new webplayer release will be needed to rectify this.

All the best,

-Aubrey

10. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

{Bump}

Essentially, GameObject.Find used to behave like Transform.Find does now. 2.5 changed the function of the function, and in doing so broke all my webplayers.

I don't have a problem with using Transform.find instead of GameObject.find, but I do have a major problem with loosing backwards webplayer compatibility.

Why doesn't the webplayer detect when it is running 2.1 content, and ensure the functions work accordingly?

11. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I don't know why nor whether this is truly a bug or by design in some way (nor have I tested myself, I just see a dangling thread with no follow up from us :) ). My reply here is to simply request that you get this logged right away as something seems fishy and I want to be sure it's in front of our dev/qa folks for investigation and repair as necessary.

12. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

Thanks!

I submitted this issue as ticket # 182841 to the bug reporting system on April 12th, but have not yet received a reply other than the automated receipt confirmation.

13. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

It's there and in the queue so no worries on that, but there isn't yet any dev/QA commentary to share. Hang tight and thanks for the bug report.

14. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

Sounds great!

Thousands of users are anxiously awaiting a resolution :)

15. drypipe

drypipe

I have Unity 2017 but when I try to play an old game, Space Paranoids, I get a message saying that I need Unity Version 2. Is this still available ?

16. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

You do not need to install unity to run the webplayer
    You just need to install a current version of the webplayer for the browser
    https://unity3d.com/de/webplayer
    Be aware that the only "current browser" that is still supporting the webplayer is the Internet Explorer 11.

17. drypipe

drypipe

I down loaded the Unity 3d on my computer but it's still not working when I try to play Space Paranoids on the y8.com website. All I'm getting is : "ERROR-2X games are not supported by the current Unity Web Player." Should I uninstall the Unity 2017 ??

18. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unity 2017 is to make your own games, not to play someone else's, and Unity 2017 doesn't have the webplayer anyway. The webplayer was deprecated and removed from new Unity versions about 3 years ago. As already mentioned, what you need is to download the last version of the webplayer and use a browser that still supports 3rd party plugins.