Search Unity

Unity 2.1 Released!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by David-Helgason, Jul 24, 2008.

1. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

This is what i call an update :)
    Great work guys! I guess tonight will consist of unity 2.1 testing, beer and good music!

:D

2. Omar Rojo

Omar Rojo

I think dynamic shadows are pro only, despite against what you want to use them.

.org

3. polytropoi

polytropoi

Fantastic release - bravo!

It's also great to hear about Funcom and Cartoon Network - that will go farther to convince potential customers and project funders than any amount of wild-eyed ranting about how Unity is the future. Considering the due diligence those companies go through, and the fact that they can afford to use any platform they want, these endorsements are bound get people's attention.

4. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

AWESOME work, UT :)

The new features are fantastic and you guys have managed to deliver a really solid package that makes other engines look like junk ... CONGRATS!

5. galent

galent

Hehe,

I think I refreshed this forum the second after you posted the announcement, I violated several local traffic "guidelines", downloaded, and haven't looked up since :D . So, sorry for not posting til now, Great work! I have to admit endless terrains is tremendous!! Shamefully, I've been staring hard at TGEA 1.7 the past month over their new terrain tools, but platform support (I ain't dropping Mac) kept me at bay... NOW.... :twisted: hehehe :twisted:

One question, is there an official way to import splat maps for a terrain (I haven't seen that)?

Thanks again,

Galen

6. seth_illgard

seth_illgard

Great work guys!

I've being trying Unity for 6 days now and must say that I'm impressed.

Unity FTW!

7. llavigne

llavigne

If by trouble you mean you're completely unable to select anything, this is a bug, it's logged but extra repro steps are probably welcome - I only found this happens on one scene of mine.

8. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Another great update UT! Perfect timing too, I finally have time to try all the new features! Thanks!

9. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Once again "Congratulations" folks! Awesome release! What's next on the list? All of you should really consider taking a day or two off! (not weeks since that would concern me) ;)

Thomas

10. aaron-parr

aaron-parr

I return from vacation to a fabulous gift. Thank you for this thorough update. I have yet to make use of it, but from the list of improvements it seems that there is much use to be made.

I appreciate all of your hard work. Unity is a good product.

11. Yann

Yann

Just waoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

12. HJPuhlmann

HJPuhlmann

Congratulation ..... Awesome release!

13. nafonso

nafonso

My drama has passed! I downloaded from another computer and the dmg is ok. :wink:

14. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Awesome, now get to enjoying some 2.1 goodness! :D

15. Ricko

Ricko

Incredible [major] release! I can't bring myself to call it an update release because it has taken me this long just to read through all the changes in the release notes.

Thank you!
    Ricko

16. Hans

Hans

WOOOWOOOO man i have been away for a week , out of town and this happens, this is wonderful, looking foward to trying out the new features.

Very nice work thank You all for ya hard work for all of us

Hans

17. Alec

Alec

lame I really wanted dynamic shadows indie for terrain at least.... bummer. Oh well I'll work my way around it.

ahhh wait I read more info on the shadows, at least indie gets projection. I'm happy now. TOM I swear to god I am buying unity in september. :p

18. Ayce

Ayce

Just a quick question. I'm currently using the Unity demo 2.0. again. Long story short, I had the first demo, which ran out,got the pro demo, and 1/2 way through, had a major issue with the 'puter, so I had to redo the drive. I re-downloaded the 2.0 demo again, not expecting it to work, and voila, started over. Good thing I had backups of what I had done till then.
    :eek:
    Anyway, if I download the update, will it run until the current demo runs out, or will it start fresh, like a new install? Or is this only for fully licensed users?
    (Still hoping to have my license by the time this one finishes.)
    :oops:

19. ugur

ugur

just wanted to jump in and say congrats on the great release, too :)
    And yup, i agree with the others, there are so many improvements and additions, many other companies would have made something like that a full release and asked for money again. One of the reasons i like UT so much more now, i know if you guys ask for additional money its for something more than well deserved :)

20. mia

mia

Thank you, thank you, thank you! ..and then some! Really amazing work.

21. boxy

boxy

Stunning, people love this release so much they're naming ships after it :D

22. Dom

Dom

Very nice release!

Is there some DLL/Assembly available for the UnityEditorGUI stuff so we can get intellisense for it?

23. MatthewW

MatthewW

Right-click the Unity application bundle, show package contents, Contents/Frameworks/UnityEditor.dll

24. Steffen

Steffen

greate work :)
    the new editorwindow/streaming stuff is awesome!

25. Raptor5399

Raptor5399

Congrats on the release and keep up the good work :]

Could I gather more info on this "Oh, and we optimized the graphics engine as well." I'm always interested in those kind of things. Such as what was optimized and what impact it makes, I'm a speed freak :>

CEH

26. DocSWAB

DocSWAB

It seems to happen when playing a networked game in the IDE. The workaround is to start and stop the game without actually entering your networked game (such as playing the splash screen only).

27. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

Thank you for the free update, thank you for the "Undo" :D

Ray

28. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

You can download and install the 2.1 update on top of your existing trial and keep right on working until the end of your trial, no worries.

29. Ayce

Ayce

Well, thanks, HiggyB.
    There is one worry, my current demo 2.02 runs out in 9 days. Still waiting to hear from my team leader whether I'll be getting an indie licence to work with. (Hurry up, boss) :D

I was thinking I may wait till my v2.02 runs out and then trying v2.1.

Not trying to rip off Unity, but as I stated, still waiting. :roll:
    If there are any objections, I'll hold off until I do get it. :oops: In the meantime, I have lots of work to do creating objects. :)

30. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

AFAIK your trial period will not reset when you install 2.1.

31. CPUFreak91

CPUFreak91

Love the MMO-focused features!

Btw, there's a typo on the "What's New Page" (http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-2.1)

"Completely is misspelled as "compelely".

32. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Bingo. The point of my post above was to indicate that they share trial periods in which case Ethan is spot on, your trial period will still end in 9 days whether you use 2.0.2 or 2.1.

Thanks, duly noted and soon to be repaired.

33. tbjod

tbjod

Thankyou UT.
    As already stated, feels more lika a 2.0->3.0 version update than 2.0->2.1 ...

34. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

The speedup depends on the scene (as always). Basically, it should be faster to render when there's lots of identical objects affected by the same set of lights, or when multiple objects use the same materials. Technically, a couple of caches were internally added for faster setting of textures and lights. Also, reduced memory allocations in rendering code (somewhat a byproduct of optimizing for the Wii), that made it a bit faster.

35. frigginjoe

frigginjoe

I have a scene where the beginning is loaded with particle emitters and it's noticeably smoother as a busy spot, now.
    I also notice where many explosions w/ light sources occur, I don't get the same framerate bog.
    It's definitely running better.

36. aaron-parr

aaron-parr

By the way, I wanted to thank you for fixing that odd bug in which Unity failed to target BBEdit. Unity now launches BBEdit like it should when you set it as your script editor of choice.

I'm loving the simple double click.

37. Raptor5399

Raptor5399

"The speedup depends on the scene (as always). "
    Thats exactly why I want to know what has been optimized ;P

By identical I presume you mean instanced?

Thanks for the info and keep at it >:]

CEH

38. kwabbott

kwabbott

Is there documentation yet for the new features?

I'd love more detail on the procedural characers animation, shader replacement and asset processing pipepline.

thanks

Kevin Abbott
    Western Michigan University

39. Omar Rojo

Omar Rojo

But "compelely" sounds more funny

.org

40. warit

warit

...is the terrain shadow dyamic? 'cuase I'm not seeing any change other than new lightmap feature.

What does it means when you said "terrain works with projector"?

Best,

41. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yes. Dynamic shadows still need Pro, of course.

Projectors work on terrains now. For example, blob shadow projectors.

--Eric

42. warit

warit

Arrr thanks then my question is how to get the dynamic terrain shadow working?

I download the wolf thing and I see no shadow. Is there any sample of this?

43. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Make sure the terrain lighting is set to pixel.

Did you set the quality level high enough?

--Eric

44. Timmer

Timmer

Here's a link to a a shadow + image effects test I made.

Edit: link removed (file removed).

45. warit

warit

Ok thanks I got it. Just happens that my light was at a bad angle so the shadow was too small to notice. This is awesome, been waiting for months. Just about time to make a new trailer then. :)

46. warit

warit

Ok now.. can we fuzz with the new pixel shaded terrain? Specifically I got two questions:

1. Is there anyway to make the trees not casting shadow?
    2. Can we just get the shadow blob cast on to the terrain texture?

Thx, a million :)

47. Timmer

Timmer

Do you want the terrain to have tree shadows just not dynamic or not at all?

If you want them but not dynamic (which has many advantages); I believe, that's an effect called burn-in (the shadows are burnt into the terrain) and is done via a light map. If you go to the terrain settings you can set it to light map and "create lightmap" (making sure "tree shadows" are on).

This will burn the shadows into the ground and not dynamically computer them during play time.

I'm still learning myself so not sure if you can mix and match burn-in from the environment with dynamic from characters or what not yet.

48. benblo

benblo

And to make it even better, I made an XML doc for Visual Studio. Just drop the attached files in the same folder as your DLLs, and bam, you have inline documentation with Intellisense.

Arriving a bit late on this (after the battle, as the French always do), I posted this in the beta-list then forgot about the rest of this awesome community... apologies!
    I should probably put this on the wiki or something...?

Attached Files:

49. jashan

jashan

Wiki would be cool - but keep us updated via the forums ;-)

Btw: I have this article about using Visual Studio with Unity on the Wiki - feel free to modify that one if you feel that would be a good place to put the XML-files (I think that would make sense)...

That would be:

Setting up Visual Studio for Unity

Sunny regards,
    Jashan

50. Scrat

Scrat

Yes on the Wiki would be very useful to a lot of people I believe.

That's awesome! Thanks a lot for sharing! :p