Search Unity

Unity 2.0 has been released!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by David-Helgason, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Raptor5399

Raptor5399

Nice to see it out! The movement issues are still there on the demos...

As for the sample projects, they are supposedly getting a "massive" update as well :> but who knows when they will be out... can we get word on this?

Oh, and to whoever implemented the upgrade path, thank you. Having to go buy a mac and some other programs just to get started, its great to be able to get the indie license to start working and then upgrade when the credit card has cooled off :>

CEH

2. ian Maclachlan

ian Maclachlan

Credit cards cool off? I'll have to get me one of them, mine just seems to get hotter and hotter :)

3. Richard_B

Richard_B

Awsome!!!!! Been waiting quite some time for this release - no more sleep....:(

Richard.

4. terransage

terransage

Man, I just had to comment again on how great this release is! I just finished exploring the GUI's and the terrain engine, and I'm beyond words. And I've barely scratched the surface. Thank you again, OTEE!

5. Marble

Marble

Yeah. I'm quite tempted to rewrite the GUI system I put together for my game. Must resist!

..And maybe I should add network multiplayer... and...

:cry:

6. Raptor5399

Raptor5399

IAN!!! nice to see you around :p I absolutely hate debt so yea.... I let em cool off, then restructure to no interest cards, rinse and repeat which is about to happen again... I spent 80 bucks last month in interest :< so yea, I don't have to put up with that and its coming to a screaming halt within 2 months.

CEH

7. Willem

Willem

You hate debt but you carry enough of it around that you need to move it from card to card to minimize the interest hit? That doesn't compute.

8. jashan

jashan

Hey you guys!

Honestly, I'm sitting here in front of my computer, with tears in my eyes, rolling down my cheeks. Call this "completely blissed out", if you wish. Dreams are coming true - things I've been waiting for for many many years. I remember those days, hacking around in a very old ASCII based centipede/tron-style game written in BASIC on some pre MS-DOS computer. I remember those days playing around with VRML (some of this stuff is actually still online)... I did have a good time, but wow was that limited. No surprise I got distracted with so many other things...

Now, I just walked through this "paradise-demo". There's some incredibly lovely suprises in there. Just look at the sky at the right spot, and you'll see life. If you haven't yet - go find them, take your time. ;-)

This little demo is just plain incredible... That was already at the upper limit of how much joy and bliss my body can take (after all, we've all been waiting for a little while)... but then...

... I checked out the features page, and what did I see?

"Support for .NET 2.0 including generics!"

Call me a nerd, if you wish - but I feel like the child, begging its parents for this cool thing to toy with, and now sitting at the christmas tree, and - wouldn't have believed it, had let go of all hope, but there it is, at my fingertips!!!

And the Web player is still only 3MB to download, hehe, and how quickly and easily that was installed on my Mac-Firefox ;-)

I must scream it out loud: THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!

I love you guys, honestly. Don't be surprised when I'm calling you "Masters" - because that is what you are! Seriously!

I already have my Mac Pro sitting in my back (which unfortunately causes me some trouble with my wireless keyboard and mouse :-( but that will be handled) - the main reason for me to convert from XP to Mac was Unity and it's lovely comm-unity... got this cool large monitor in front of me... Cheetah3D and Unity 2.0 Indie to come very soon, and Unity 2.0 Pro to come as soon as possible (I also have one of those very hot credit cards, must be a widespread CC-virus... but it's lovely of you guys to allow me to pay Unity in "two steps" and already get an incredibly cool and powerful tool for the first step ;-) ).

Enjoy what you've created - and enjoy what people will create with what you have created! Let's say "In Unity, we create" (names DO make a difference... I'm still a bit ashamed of using something called dotnetNUKE, even though this also is a cool piece of software... but how cool is this: if someone asks you "how did you do this", you can say "I did it in Unity", hehe).

... still weeping in Joy ;-)

Jashan (which by the way means FULL of Joy :) )

9. rom

rom

Just got my unity 2 pro upgrade
    Verry cool :eek:
    Well done OTEE, you guys rock !

10. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Thanks again folks, the response to this release has been overwhelming in an extremely good way. It makes us all together too happy to be able to make such an awesome tool, we cannot wait to see what you folks do with it!

And by the way, for those that haven't seen it yet we are no longer known as OTEE, we are now called Unity Technologies. :) (lookie here)

11. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

besuser, don't get discouraged just yet. :) The UT guys have been putting on a conference, etc. They'll be quick to respond once they get some sleep, I imagine. They'll be very interested in what's going on with your comp.

Anyway, the new interface is very slick. It's hard to go back to 1.6.2, but... I'm not quite ready for the big purchase. It's going to be a fast 30 days!

12. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Please log a bug from the machine in question and we'll get to it as soon as we can. Aaron is right, we are all here at Unite so we're not the fastest in responding these days, but folks start heading home this weekend and so hopefully someone can get back to early next week.

My apologies for not catching your post earlier, my/our bad.

13. Raptor5399

Raptor5399

It isn't about need, its about ability. I have the ability to swap it out to minimize interest payments and see no reason not to. Also the majority of the debt on my CC isn't "mine" and is being payed back weekly ;P One of my friends has had problems with a lot of things like his bike breaking down and such... he always makes it a point to pay me back ASAP, I just hate having it on my cards.

CEH

14. louis

louis

Well done Uni-T.
    Great software, nice rework of the site, and all landing in time for your
    conference.

Superb work. Long may it continue.

cheers.

15. Foxxis

Foxxis

Me neither, once I have my free Pro upgrade. Hint, hint, wink, wink. ;)

Seriously though, I've been reading through the docs on some of the new features, and I must chime in and congratulate you! Excellent new features, seemingly implemented in a very smart manner! Great work!

16. GaborD

GaborD

Fantastic new features!

This weekend will be great fun :)

17. terransage

terransage

Haven't...sleeped...in 3....dayz. Starting.......to...hallucinnnnnate..... :eek:

Edit: I can't get over this terrain engine! I tried the one in Torque and liked that, but this one far surpasses it. I'm a landscape freak (geography was my major in college), and this terrain engine just plain rocks (double pun intended).

18. Red Ocktober

Red Ocktober

quick question - what sorta mac will i need to run the development environment and use shaders and multiplayer?

thx...

--Mike

19. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Hey Mike,
    Probably any recent vintage iMac would do. I'm using an '07 iMac Intel Core Duo and it works fine (and I'm sure it would do for any sub sim you may have in mind!)

20. Red Ocktober

Red Ocktober

thx bigK...

i was looking at one of the new thin iMacs... the base model, 2 GHz with ATI 2400xt, or the next one up, the 2.4GHz with the ATI 2600 Pro...

or maybe i should opt for something towards the higher end of the spectrum...

either way, the iMac mini and the older iMac(blue) that i have now just don't seem like they'd be able to handle Unity 2 at all...

--Mike

21. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I'd guess any of the new Mac's you're considering will be -way- more than suitable for what you'll want to do. Both my 17" iMac and 15" Mac Book Pro have the x1600 graphics chip, which seems to be a bit better in the graphics compatibility department, but the other folks here and at UT will be able to better advise you...

22. kattkieru

kattkieru

I think the general rule of thumb is to buy the biggest, baddest, most expensive machine you can, develop on it, then tweak for slower machines as possible. I'm using a MacBook Pro with the NVidia 8600, but I've been testing on all kinds of stuff down to the Intel on-board video that's used on the MacBooks and Mac Minis.

23. TJB

TJB

Will there be any new tutorials coming out, specifically ones that cover the GUI?

Looks spectacular, but i'm lost as to how to do a few things such as health bars with curved ends. Can't wait till I have enough money to upgrade.

24. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I hope / think so. There were a few simple demo projects floating around the beta list and one particularly interesting project that should make it to the wiki soon. IIRC the folks at UT said they would have more GUI samples after the official release. FWIW, creating most things in the new GUI system isn't very hard at all, but getting the most out of it eludes me as well.

25. kattkieru

kattkieru

Depending on how complex you wanted the effect to be, you could do it by having an image of the health bar cut into slices. In your GUI procedure you simply decide to draw all, some, or none of the slices based on player health.

edit: Check out the Unity 2.0 manual -- there's a small section with the code required to do this easily. Basically instead of using my suggestion above, you just clip the image by encasing it within a group in a group.

26. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

There will be new tutorials on the way so please stay tuned... (plus I believe we're looking at updating the existing ones of course - gotta try to keep those current)

27. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

My advice for the GUI stuff is to just play with it, personally. It sort of explains itself.

Or... maybe you haven't found the manual pages:
    http://www.unity3d.com/support/documentation/Manual/Game Interface Elements.html

It took me a minute to find the first time, because the subject in the manual didn't have the "word" GUI in it. :)

[upon going back and reading the thread this reply is not as needed as I thought. Maybe someone will find the link here for the first time, though, so I'll leave it.]

28. DigiLusionist

DigiLusionist

I am not a programmer. However, I read through the GUI manual and amazed at how straight-forward the process is.

The more complicated GUI implementation is still beyound me, but all of the basics are easy to follow.

Great job!

29. Neural Echo

Neural Echo

@HiggyB

Any chance you guys will be releasing more video tutorials showing an overview of how to use the new features of Unity 2.0? ... as well as updated versions of the existing tutorials?

Not owning a Mac at the time, being able to see the amazing simplicity, elegance and power of Unity through the video tutorials is what convinced me to buy Unity (and a Mac :)) ... especially tutorials #5 and #6.

Also, after getting set up to run Unity, I found that the video tutorials were extremely useful guides for learning the basics of both how and Unity and it's editor works.

30. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I'm not sure about the status of that in particular but we have heard from folks that it would be a very good thing to do. So based on that I'd say there's a good chance we'll do more of them, likely about 2.0-specific features but they might/should involve more than that in the long run.

See my reply above...

<echo>
    (plus I believe we're looking at updating the existing ones of course - gotta try to keep those current)
    </echo>

:)

31. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Which OS X version you're running on?

GeForce 2 does not support normal maps nor pixel lights. This is a hardware limitation (hey, that card is like 7 years old!).

Yes, it's somewhere on the island. It's not a car though, it's helicopter ruins.

32. patricia

patricia

How long does it take to get our upgrade key ?

It seems it takes forever :( My friend got his last week, i'm so depreeeeessed.
    Patricia.

33. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

If you haven't received it already please send a mail to sales@unity3d.com and we will take care of it.

34. Red Ocktober

Red Ocktober

just a lil more impressive stuff about version 2...

i just got a replacement power supply for my mac mini (the lowest cost, year and a half old model), and decided to test out the Avert Fate demo on it, even though i really didn't expect it to run at all...

surprise!!! the thing runs very well... very smooth and responsive enough to play at 1024x768 with graphics set at Good...

i looked at the shadow demo and the island demo too... no shadows, but the lighting made up for it... and the water in the island demo, while not shadered, looked ok for the video card it was running on...

i'm impressed... even with this relatively low end mini, good looking games are now a possibility...

--Mike

35. manuelflara

manuelflara

Is it normal it takes that long to get a new key? I payed via wire transfer the upgrade price and haven't heard anything from anyone at The Company Formerly Known As OTEE about this, and I'm getting a little nervous. It's a big pile of money for an individual.

36. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

They must be having problems with their license server or on line store. I've been trying to buy the update since yesterday and it's rejecting my serial number. UT's aware of the issue, but in the mean time I've got 11 hours left on my Beta serial and after that I'm sunk... :cry:

37. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

I just tried the whole purchase process for 1.x to 2.x and it worked perfectly fine.

So please drop sales@unity3d.com an e-mail, they will take care of it from there.

38. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Issue resolved. :)

39. Red Ocktober

Red Ocktober

question about Unity water prefabs... is there real wave motion, or is the effect on a flat plane...

and if it is flat, can real waves be implemented by moving the individual vertices via script or code?

thx

--Mike

40. drJones

drJones

users have done some of that here:

http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=6119

; )

41. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Hi Mike,

There are several water shaders, with the Pro version you get "reflective" and "reflective-refractive" shaders that as a default are applied to a flat disk. The shaders can be applied to any mesh though.

Yes and there are demos that show this (at least there used to be), the demo pushes tons of vertices with Javascript very quickly.

Mike, I know what you're looking for and believe me, this is the engine you want.

42. Red Ocktober

Red Ocktober

thanks again BigK... yeah, everything looks good so far... looking to free up a few dollars in the next couple of weeks for a new mac and the pro version, but if i get too anxious, i'll start out with the indie version on my current mini, just to get my feet wet (no pun intended :) )

--Mike

43. GaborD

GaborD

Very much like you Mike, I used Blitz3D for a long while and tried most affordable engines.
    Unity blows them outta the water. (no pun intended either :) )

You should give it a serious whirl, I think you will like it.
    It gives you the freedom you need without losing the ease of use.

44. Red Ocktober

Red Ocktober

thx GD... almost there...
    this week i'll be starting my eval of the demo...

--Mike

45. William

William

Hello Red October,

You might remember me from BV and Torque. I have done just as you are thinking of doing. I recieved my MAC yesterday and downloaded Unity trial. Everything is going smooth and I see alot of great things with Unity. Two things I see that really excite me is, the documentation that is available (unlike Torque and BV) and the Gang over on the IRC channel. OMG they are awesome. I swear GGG never sleeps and Ncarter and rest of the group really want to help. Now if I can just figure out how to shut this MAC down correctly.....LOL It was a big step for me but I think I have found a home.

William

46. William

William

Hello Red October,

You might remember me from BV and Torque. I have done just as you are thinking of doing. I recieved my MAC yesterday and downloaded Unity trial. Everything is going smooth and I see alot of great things with Unity. Two things I see that really excite me is, the documentation that is available (unlike Torque and BV) and the Gang over on the IRC channel. OMG they are awesome. I swear GGG never sleeps and Ncarter and rest of the group really want to help. Now if I can just figure out how to shut this MAC down correctly.....LOL It was a big step for me but I think I have found a home.

William

47. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

<aside>
    William, the apple menu (upper left) contains all system/computer wide commands. You'll find "shut down" there. :)
    <nitpick>
    Also, it's Mac, not MAC. MAC sounds like you are referring to a MAC address which is completely unrelated. :p
    </nitpick>
    </aside>
    Looking forward to seeing stuff in the showcase forum from the new guys!

48. William

William

LOL, see what I mean? I can't even spell it correctly. LOL

49. Red Ocktober

Red Ocktober

hey there William... good to see you over here, and thx for the info...

--Mike