Search Unity

Unity 2.0 has been released!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by David-Helgason, Oct 10, 2007.

1. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Dear lovely wonderful people.

The Unity Technologies team is extremely proud to announce the release of Unity 2.0, the largest and most exciting update to Unity and the Unity Web Player that has ever been released. This major update includes more than 50 new features and a variety of other product updates. Everything about Unity 2.0 is designed to make your games look better on more platforms, run faster, and easier to make.

With Unity 2.0 you can take advantage of great new features like the Terrain Rendering Engine, DirectX 9 Renderer for Windows, Built-in Networked Multiplayer Support, Web Player Streaming and Improved Web Player Compression. Developers can also start using a new companion product, the Unity Asset Server, which allows teams of developers to easily stay in synch and provide project source control capabilities. Of course all of that is just the tip of the iceberg, there is much more to be found in Unity 2.0.

Crazy stuff :)

Unity 2.0 is an incredible release, give it a look and discover just how incredible!

More info: http://unity3d.com/unity/
    All the details: http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-2.0
    Download: http://unity3d.com/unity/download

Oh, and check out the new website layout too!

Love from Unite 2007, where we're presenting and meeting a wonderful cross-section of you people.

d.

2. Morgan

Morgan

Can't wait to start playing!

Er.... working!

3. Alexo

Alexo

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

4. bronxbomber92

bronxbomber92

Woot!

I love the terrain engine and UnityGUI :D

5. polytropoi

polytropoi

*me weeps w/ joi*

6. Unclet

Unclet

Wooooooooot!!!!!!

upgrade purchased! Downloading now --- along with everybody else, judging by connection speed!!!! :)

Hooray for OTEE!

7. jeremyace

jeremyace

Congrats on the release guys!

I love the new site too btw.

-Jeremy

8. jaydubs

jaydubs

Love the new site, can't wait to give Unity 2.0 a whirl ... I'm soooo stoked for OTEE and me!

Wooooo Hooooo

JW

9. Marble

Marble

Great news. Looking forward to playing with this—less so to figuring out how to retool my existing v.1 project. :p

10. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Congrats on 2.0 and Happy Birthday David!

11. Mr. Animator

Mr. Animator

Congratulations to OTEE for this huge milestone, I still can't believe how ridiculously powerful this tool has become while still remaining user friendly and agile. It's truly inspiring.

12. christchild

christchild

New site looks great. downloading 2.0 now! its Xmas!!!
    C.

13. Matariki

Matariki

Congratulations! Looks great, both Unity and the new web design.

Cheers

14. besuser

besuser

We downloaded the new trial, but the new terrain features do not show up in the viewports....anyone know if there is anything I can do?

I get a bunch of these errors in the console window:

Unable to find Hidden/TerrainEngine/BillboardTree shader
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    UnityEngineInternal.TreeRenderer:.ctor(TreeDatabase)
    UnityEngine.Terrain:OnRenderObject(Int32)

any help would be great.

Thanks.

**EDIT** Apparently it's a video card issue? I can't see normal maps either even with per pixel lighting on. I'm running an older G4 with a geforce 2 mx card with 32 mb of VR.

15. xacto

xacto

Looks fantastic!!! I can not wait to see what everyone comes up with.

16. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

David, et al,

Congrats on the release!

Link from email to download Unity2.0 not working
    [url]http://unity3d.com/download.html [/url]

I was able to download it by downloading the demo, That's the same right? Just put my license and I'm good to go.

Some links like the tuts etc not working.

Love new web site, very simple

Again congrats on the release and thank you!.

Ray

17. kattkieru

kattkieru

Wasn't there a drop in price? Like, I bought Unity 1.62 only because the 2.0 update was free, and now 2.0 is $50 less? Wouldn't it have been better to have waited?

18. ian Maclachlan

ian Maclachlan

Yeah I did that too lol Only got around to installing Unity last night. I wonder how the upgrade to Pro works as we purchased 1.x? Would we still get it $50 cheaper when we upgrade later down the line?

19. milkytreat

milkytreat

mmm looks tasty!! *licks lips* cant wait to try out the web player stuff, ive been having nightmares with papervision

Experience with new plugin installation so far:

1) went to http://unity3d.com/gallery/live-demos/tropical-paradise
    2) clicked install, downloaded dmg, installed packged, upgrade
    3) now the page loading bar flicks on and off, with contacting unity3d.com

had to close the page and repoen it (not restarting browser) and works fine

Edit: watching the tropical example load in = very cool!

20. terransage

terransage

I just bought the upgrade and took the nature walk, and I have to say that it plunged me straight into a state of bliss. I'm not used to bliss. I'm a little uncomfortable with it and don't know how to handle it. Sigh. Now I have to face a long night of joyful tinkering with this wonderful product....

21. podperson

podperson

I tried to order my upgrade but the server was down.

Just as a rather odd aside:

I have a 1.x Indie license.

1.x (Indie) -> 2.x (Indie) -- $99
    1.x (Indie) -> 2.x (Pro) -- $1250
    2.x (Indie) -> 2.x (Pro) -- $1300

So if I upgrade to 2.0 Indie today, I am *increasing* the cost of going to 2.0 Pro.

22. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

Congratulations UTee on this excellent release of Unity 2.0!

I have played with the demo and will get my upgrade today. I really like the terrain engine and lots of the other stuff too. Cant wait to get deeper into that cool piece of software!

Cheers

Frank

23. Darko

Darko

Congratulations to Unity Technologies! This is really a great piece of software!

Me too. In fact I just wanted 2.0 and now I have paid 50 bucks more... :D

If you look at the uprade prices you will see that the upgrade from 1.x Indie to 2.0 Pro is 50 bucks cheaper then upgrade from 2.x Indie to 2.x Pro. So it seems well balanced.

24. kaaJ

kaaJ

Congratulations!

Good luck with the product, you guys deserve it...

Grtz,
    kaaJ

25. ian Maclachlan

ian Maclachlan

Yeah but don't I have 2.x Indie now with my free upgrade? :D

Not really fussed about the extra $50 as I don't mind supporting companies that make great products, just seems a bit confusing.

Can't wait to get home from work and have a play. I love the Paradise web player demo, awesome stuff! :)

26. jaydubs

jaydubs

You could have waited but you'd only just be beginning ... paying $50 more for getting something "now" instead of later is worth it I think. Your learning curve is going to be less so you save time and time = money ... hang on ... I think you might be making money! :D

JW

27. Foxxis

Foxxis

Email? I didn't get one. :(
    I'm supposed to be able to upgrade from my 1.x Pro for free, but I have no idea regarding how or when. Maybe when the party is over in SF. :)

28. Darko

Darko

I suppose you have both! :wink:

29. slashdotray

slashdotray

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    Thanks to this great Otee Team !

30. norby

norby

Congratulations guys, you all did a great job
    I am a happy man today and i must say that the
    web site looks fantastic too.i will upgrade today

Norby

31. pdrummond

pdrummond

All looks very tempting. Will these prices be staying the same for the foreseeable future, as I can't afford the upgrade just now.

Thanks.

32. theMightyAtom

theMightyAtom

This is really bad news for my customers. They still want me to work in Flash :wink:

"Good" thing I don't have a Mac at the office.

Great news, hope Unite is a blast,

Cheers

Pete Mc

33. nafonso

nafonso

The release notes html page in the 2.0 trial download image directs the users to version 1.6.2 of the release notes, not 2.0.

I have also came across some links that go "nowhere" in unity's site, are you still updating it or are these bugs?

Regards,
    Afonso

EDIT: Just caught this text "But in Unity you scripts are compiled to native code and run nearly runs as fast as C++." (http://unity3d.com/unity/features/scripting), it has some errors, like "you scripts" and the extra "runs". Is there a person responsible for the site? That way we could send the errors we find in it directly to that person.

34. cblarsen

cblarsen

Apart from the sheer coolness of the visuals in the demos, I have been looking at the changes to scripting. Some of the things that make me happy are:

I can finally get the result of a rendertexture into an ordinary texture - and with mip-mapping!

No more evil hacks (at least not to achieve this effect )
    One word: WOOT!

And so much more.
    Congratulations guys! :D

35. AndySmith

AndySmith

I bought unity pro about two weeks ago, how do I upgrade to 2 pro. Downloaded the trial but the activation key does not work for it?

Andy

36. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Yeah, there are a number of small errors in the new website. On the "alpha" list David asked that these be submitted with the bug reporter.

37. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Big congrats on this release, it's remarkable what this engine can do, especially at the price point it's currently at. Can't wait to get into it all.

BTW the tutorials link off the Doc page seems to be broken http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/tutorials/ along with a number of gallery links if it hadn't been mentioned.

Love the new look of the site, very classy ;)

take care,

~t

38. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

You guys deserve all the success you will get! GREAT WORK GUYS, and thanks for fueling many of your dreams.

39. theMightyAtom

theMightyAtom

The new terrain and streaming are fantastic. Tropical Paradise takes seconds to start up and hours to explore. You really have to get up on the top of one of those mountains to appreciate the sheer size of this world. Procedural geometry and textures, it's the only thing that makes sense for the web. Very well done. The same strategy could be applied to cities aswell I guess?

One question, the car on the screenshot on the frontpage of unity3d.com, is that somewhere on the island?? I've searched and searched hoping to take it for a spin... A helicopter wouldn't go amiss either :wink:

40. boxy

boxy

Adding a public congratulations, you have done an amazing job!
    Boxy

41. massung

massung

Ditto. Is there just no way to do this yet, or is it super-secret magic? ;)

Either way, Unity 2.0 is looking quite good, and I'm actually considering just flat-out upgrading to Pro. Just about every concern I had about 1.x was addressed.

Jeff M.

42. Foxxis

Foxxis

David posted in another thread yesterday and said they'd implement a way to handle it, and to give them a day or two. I missed that reply too at first. :)

So I suppose we'll get to practice some patience...

43. Scoo

Scoo

Gratz on shipping, gang!

Shame about: Shadows are a Unity Pro-only feature. :(

Oh well, I'll live.

Can I evaluate this along-side my 1.6.2 Indie install?

44. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Rename your Unity 1.6.2 install folder to something other than just "unity" and install the 2.0 version. It will install alongside your existing install no problem. 2.0 uses different preference files. - Jeff

45. pete

pete

Couldn't have said it better! An off-the-charts what's new list, new website, new name, Unite going on... wow and congrats! We all owe you beer - just don't collect at once or the next day won't be fun!

In reading Morgan's thread on Avert and some other comments, do you guys want bug reports on the demos? Found a couple minor things in the Tropical demo (as gorgeous as it is)...

46. VeganApps

VeganApps

Wooooow! Great release! :D :D

47. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Thanks for all the good words folks, it's an exciting time for all of us, soak it up and have fun with 2.0! On to some of your questions...

The email being referred to is our Announcements distribution list (you can sign up for that on our front page). We will separately be emailing everyone that's eligible for the free upgrade with instructions, look for that in a day or two. It's tough juggling a release, a new website and our first ever user conference, all in one week!

:eek: :D :D

we... need... sleep...

As always times change and with them prices may too, but for now we've set out prices for the foreseeable future.

Unity versions 1.x and 2.x use separate license keys, as mentioned above you'll be getting an email with information about getting your 2.0 Pro.

48. Red Ocktober

Red Ocktober

Congrats on the release of 2.0...

Finally... a AAA capable engine that is complete and ready for prime time...

the demos are HOT!!! Avert Fate is really a good example of what can be done...

gotta get me a decent mac and then a license...

--Mike

49. jack-jack

jack-jack

Has anyone noticed that the sample projects are all gone?

50. Marble

Marble

This is great. I just converted my old Unity project to 2.0 without any problems. Just fantastic.