Search Unity

Unity 2.0 Coming This Summer!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by David-Helgason, Jul 6, 2007.

1. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

That requires serious typing, and takes time... I can do a screenshot in 15 secs flat ;-)

Edit: also, when we launch 2.0, there's the usual 1-month trial, so you get to look at your steak before deciding whether to eat it ;-)

Edit2: I guess the real reason is that if we begin telling details, you guys will start discussing them (which I can certainly understand) - hence, releasing any info with real "meat" on it is just gonna delay unity further as we spend time answering posts.

Case in point: Had I not posted the above screenshots, I would be spending time getting Unity2 ready right now instead of typing this message ;-)

2. Willem

Willem

It COULD be argued that the amount of typing you've done explaining why it would take too much time would have been sufficient already, but I digress. :)

Fair enough. Back to ogling screen shots!

3. jashan

jashan

Got my Mac Pro :)

Hehe, another Win-to-Mac-convert even before 2.0 is out. And I'm patiently waiting for 2.0 to "jump on the rolling training" because I like the intensity of getting all the cool new stuff all at once.

Btw, I think I've read somewhere in this thread that there are plans for a Windows-version (and I remember asking myself for such a blasphemic thing a while back). Wouldn't it be much cooler starting a deal with Apple? Let them pay you some money for every Unity-Win2Mac-Convert. Wouldn't that be cool? You get a lot of money and we don't have to pay more.

And, the money aside, you bring more joy into people's lifes ;-) (I do enjoy Windows XP running on my VMWare Fusion on my Mac, but the Mac simply feels different, just like this forum).

Btw, thank you for keeping the license costs stable. A while back, I witnessed how a really lovely UML tool got better each version, but also doubled the price... Um... forgot the name ;-)

I'm going to bed now, dreaming of all the cool games... and worlds... to be created with Unity 2.0! I think I'll start with the Indie-Version but upgrade to Pro as soon as possible (i.e. as soon as I've digested my Mac Pro expenses).

You people rock (both the developers and the wonderful community around the product)!

4. Darko

Darko

Would it be possible to see a Unity 2.0 standalone BETA demo?

5. rasmus

rasmus

My guess is that there at least will be some demos that include foliage.

6. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

There will be a bunch of assets (trees, grass and terrain textures) provided for creating great looking terrain. And a complete terrain demo. Which happens to be the one nicholas posted screenshots of.

7. Foxxis

Foxxis

Great! I'm guessing most will probably want to tweak/create new assets as projects mature, but it's invaluable to have something to start with. Thumbs up! :)

8. skyhawk

skyhawk

yeah, sure beats having a terrain full of swaying cylinders and boxes

9. Raptor5399

Raptor5399

I agree with Gary, and I want to know what those 40+ features are on the unity 2.0 page >:]

I still haven't had time to play with modo 301 :<

CEH

10. Lallander

Lallander

Modo 301 = <3

Srsly go get the demo, try it out. Or if you have bought it allready smack yourself a bit then go try it out.

11. Raptor5399

Raptor5399

There is no 301 demo, not that it matters, I own it :p

I was messing around learning some ZB3 (debating the need for ZB...) and PS. Combined with two jobs and school... plus I had the flu last week :<

CEH

EDIT: got a minute to play with it. the sculpting needs some work but it is easy and fun to use. I do think ill be learning ZB though, its much more powerful.

12. slashdotray

slashdotray

:cry: :cry: :cry:

13. garyhaus

garyhaus

In 2.0 will the video support alpha channels? Specifically I might use quicktimes as moving/evolving multi-layered clouds in the sky. Thanks for any information.

Gary

14. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Not long now!

Attached Files:

15. jaydubs

jaydubs

WOW, that looks great ... ( nibbles on stumps that were once fingers ) can't wait! ( eye twitches )

JW

16. Willem

Willem

Well, that shot is showing a model casting shadows on the world and onto itself. That's cool and all but it's nothing we haven't seen before.

Unless Unity 2.0 is coming with a "Make Cool Robot Mesh" button...

17. Marble

Marble

Damn, and that was going to be my game!

18. Bampf

Bampf

Tough crowd.

It's pretty obvious that we'll learn more at Unite, whether or not the actual release is ready by then. I can only imagine the scrambling going on at OTEE as they try to line up the product, the press releases, docs, and the conference simultaneously. Good luck to you!

19. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I assume that model is created by the "Create Menacing Giant Metal Robot" feature in Unity 2?

20. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Actually that was a unity 3.0 screenshot

21. Morgan

Morgan

It's out! Just saw the home page! :D

(And in the process, for some reason my page's link to http://unity3d.com/unitywebplayer.html forwards to the new download address which is broken--yet manually pasting the address works fine. Some temporary site-update quirk I'm sure. Love the new site!)

22. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

And the store is open for business...

23. Jessy

Jessy

The new site is pretty. Very Leopard like, to match 2.0. That will help me keep my sanity if I ever have to take a job using Unity on Windows down the road.

..though I suppose you could just make everything beige and blue if you want to have things look consistent in that land of evil.

(Vista's Alt-Tab is actually pretty awesome.)

24. nickavv

nickavv

Gasps. :D Got the 2.0 Web Player. Played the nature demo, the shadows demo, and just downloaded Avert Fate. After that, then I'll download the real deal. Nice new site. :D

25. Rincewind

Rincewind

Oh...my...God. The new web site is gorgeous and so is the product :eek:

How is it possible that you guys are so awesome?

26. Foxxis

Foxxis

Excellent! Multiple w00ts! :)

Soo....how do those of use eligible for free Pro->Pro2.0 upgrades go about things? I'd love to see what happens when I try to upgrade my rather complex project. :)

[edit] BTW, the forum doesn't seem to be correctly linked from the new site...?

27. Willem

Willem

*gulp* $649.00 to upgrade from pro.

28. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

So, Assets management is the big surprise, eh?

Looks like a great solution. :)

Gotta dig into those networking docs!

29. nafonso

nafonso

Jesus Crist, Mary and Joseph, I'll have to become a full time male prostitute in order to upgrade from indie 1.x to 2.x with server asset management! :(

It would have been great to have the asset management included in the price.

I understand that the prices are reasonable, but for people that make money, not students like myself. I'll probably have to settle with an indie upgrade, and I was hoping to get the server asset client if I started working with other collegues, but I saw that it is only available for the Pro version. :(

Btw, why is the upgrade from indie 2.x to pro 2.x more expensive than indie 1.x to pro 2.x?

Also, and again I point this out, I believe that there shouldn't be any feature differences between the indie and pro version except for the windows deployment.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that it is a GREAT release, but for my particular case, the price is "kind of heavy". Because I live in Portugal, I have to pay danish VAT (+25%!), and there seems to be a direct 1-to-1 $ to € conversion (I assume this because if I change from $ to € in the store, nothing happens), and the current $ to € conversion ration is about 1.4 to 1. For some this may not be a problem, but take into account that the minimum wage in Portugal is around 400€.

Regards,
    Afonso

EDIT: Just tried to see how much it costs, and there is a correct $ to € convertion, the problem is that it is only visible in the review order screen, all the screens before when we change the $ to € it does nothing. Also, the credit card payment icons are really stretched vertically.

30. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Because 2.0 Indy is cheaper than 1.0 Indy was. - Jeff

31. nafonso

nafonso

The more I read about 2.0, the more I feel that I'm being a little unfair... If it is as easy to use as 1.x in all of its features, it is THE best game development platform available at the moment for its price, I'm just so desperate because I'll have to wait a lot of time before going for the full upgrade! :p

Lets hope that the full version convertion comes in the beginning of 2008, I'll probably need a part time job! :D

Regards,
    Afonso

32. Willem

Willem

Does anyone see a way to turn on grid snapping in the editor? I downloaded the demo and I've looked around but it's either not there or I can't see it.

Please tell me I'm just missing it. Please!

33. Morgan

Morgan

I was just about to dig into .NET for a) text file I/O and b) pre-seeded random numbers. Eventually I would have had to takcle c) multiplayer netcode.

Now Unity 2 comes along and gives me all three built-in :) Sorry, .NET, we'll have to catch up another time.

34. Willem

Willem

I'm resisting the temptation to take this into the newer 2.0 threads but I would really like to know if grid snapping was implemented before I drop $650 for an upgrade.

This is the second most expensive application I use (second only to 3DS Max on the PC) and it would be nice to get a reply from the developers on this issue.

35. diese440

diese440

<<purchase made after May 16th is automatically eligible for free upgrade>>

Ok, i own my unity 1 Pro since May 23 :D ... Now what i have to do with my serial number to turn the downloded V2 indie trial to V2 Pro :?:

Thank's

36. Foxxis

Foxxis

I wonder the same thing. Maybe the price drops to zero if you go through the upgrade purchase process with the old 1.x serial. I haven't tried it though.

37. Darko

Darko

You can use the 30 day trail till this issue is solved.

http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=7064

38. Foxxis

Foxxis

Oops. Missed that entry and just sent David a mail. Feel quite stupid now... :)

Anyway, it doesn't quite help if you're a Pro customer since the trial is the Indie version. I'm not in *that* big a hurry though, so I can wait a couple of days. Have some stuff to do that 2.0 won't help me with... :)

39. zumwalt

zumwalt

:) my current key on it is only good for another 13 days :)
    Can't wait for the fix on this, I know with conference they are very very busy!
    Congradulations again guys!
    -Zumwalt

40. Morgan

Morgan

I can wait a bit longer for 2.0--I wasn't even expecting it this week and I have other things I should be doing :)

41. diese440

diese440

I think that the ogg compressor don't support apha channel. Am I in truth? :?

42. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

You can just try it out yourself. Unity 2.0 has a new 30 day trial even if you already have Unity 1.x.