Search Unity

Unity 2.0 Coming This Summer!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by David-Helgason, Jul 6, 2007.

1. milkytreat

milkytreat

looks like wet dreams tonight *puts on extra pair of underpants*

2. podperson

podperson

Darn it, I look away from the forums for a few days and ... salivating! (Great timing on the announcement too, I can stop work on some stuff for my current project and wait for Unity 2.0 to do it for me.)

3. Willem

Willem

So, in seriousness, any editor improvements to speak of? It's been glossed over in the spoogefest above but it would be great to get grid snapping and multiple object editing and stuff like that.

4. VeganApps

VeganApps

Just amazing ! :eek:

NEED ! :D

5. terransage

terransage

Does dynamic shadows mean that lightmaps are no longer necessary? (Or fewer lightmaps, anyway?) Are dynamic shadows costly to the engine?

I kind of need to know, because my lightmap workarounds tend to be costly, even with all the renderers being turned on and off and all the other optimization I'm doing. I'm thinking I might have to redo my whole level if dynamic shadows are the way to go, and I don't want to continue heading off in the wrong direction. :)

Edit: I guess with the DirectX Renderer and double the frame rates, my question is moot....

6. deepcgi

deepcgi

I hope all of you at OTEE have an unspoken desire to take over the world and are resisting the urge to sell out to large and unsympathetic umbrella corporations that will devour this technology and leave Unity 3D languishing in an unfinished state forever.

Or am I just paranoid because good things never happen to me? Only to people who are bought out by large and unsympathetic umbrella corporations?

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yes. :) Besides, even if the OTEE guys were abducted today by aliens who want their own game engine, 1.6 is hardly unusable...2.0 is just more awesomer than ever.

--Eric

8. cblarsen

cblarsen

Bought Pro around May 3 :|

I am so gonna upgrade though :)

I am curious about how scriptable something like the terrain engine is. Since I have been seen making the odd dynamic tree, I thought I might move up to dynamic landscapes.

Actually, I am amazed that you made all those new features in two years - while dealing with all the stuff related to 1.x. And I feel so good about having postponed doing dynamic shadows myself.

Shutting up now. Waiting for Christmas at the end of summer. :D

9. polytropoi

polytropoi

Awesome! Stupendous! Fantastic! Thrilling! Great work, guys. The terrain builder reminds me of the Far Cry editor, but better (despite the glitches David encountered in that demo video). And the network/multiplayer capability is a critical feature for wider adoption - everybody wants to build the next mmorpg, or second life (cmune looks cool!).

My windoze buddies will be disappointed that the winport is not yet on the horizon, but they'll have to be jealous a bit longer...

Pro upgrade pricing will I'm sure be reasonable; I want to swing a trip to SF for the conference too. It's very cool that y'all will be able to deliver v2 before the conference; the braindumps will be even sweeter!

10. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

Went on a long vacation, iPhone is out and now this!.

Saw the video too, amazing!!!

OTEE just rocks.

11. podperson

podperson

Anything we should do to prepare for networking?

Speaking of editor improvements, is "dependable undo" one of the 40+ other features? ;-)

12. Samantha

Samantha

Yes! Unity 2.0 will give you all the tools you need to easily create networked games. However, the underlying concepts behind networking are still pretty complicated. So it will be a big help if you start studying how networking works in multiplayer games. I've got a couple URLs (care of Joachim) that will help you get started. All the concepts on these pages will help you out immensely when 2.0 is released.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Lag_Compensation
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Working_With_Prediction
    http://www.gamasutra.com/resource_guide/20020916/lambright_01.htm

13. jeremyace

jeremyace

Awesome news guys! I got it a bit late as I was away.

I am loving the terrain system and the shadows, a little dissapointed that shadows are pro-only but I figured they would be, so I'll get over it. ;-)

Hopefully the terrain system, GUI system, etc are all indie?

Anyway, congrats at pumping out such a massive release rather quickly!

Upgrage price...*A gas mask, a smoke grenade, a helicopter and a jewelry store...that's all I ask*

-Jeremy

14. boxy

boxy

sweet bijunga otees, those screens look superb. Great to see progress. Look forward to seeing some of that terrain builder stuff in action!
    Thanks
    Boxy

15. manuelflara

manuelflara

Woohoo, what a lovely morning! What better news could I read that having Unity 2.0 coming soon AND with a great list of features? Great job, OTEE!

By the way, I don't think I'll get any answers, but there's a gamedev competition in Spain with deadline in September which I planned to send an entry to. The thing is, it's very GUI heavy and I discarded Unity a month ago or so despite all its power and ease of use, because frankly, I wouldn't make it. But now that I know that Unity 2.0 features a revamped UI system that looks like heaven, can't you guys tell us when it'll be released? Or maybe tell us when a release date will be announced? Because if summer 2007 means july, I'm totally in, as I can start writing gameplay code. If it means September, or the release date can slip to September, then I'm afraid I can't take the risk.

Anyway, thanks OTEE!

16. Lka

Lka

In the Tuaw interview they told "end of summer", so september is more probable than july.

17. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Sorry Manuel, we're not ready to offer a ship date just yet so you'll have to wait for further news.

18. frigginjoe

frigginjoe

A new version of Unity and a tan in the same summer?
    Unparalleled!

19. Willem

Willem

Any chance of getting my queries regarding the editor answered re: grid snap and undo?

20. Venkman

Venkman

I just watched that demo video from WWDC.

HOLY SH**.

Wow. I want to explore this for doing real time animations. I think I could crank out some cool stuff with the next version of this engine.

Wowee! I can't wait!

21. nafonso

nafonso

And .Net 2.0? :oops:

22. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Folks, with respect to specific features I can only ask that you please stand by and wait for that sort of information. When we're ready to share the full feature list it will be posted, until then enjoy the anticipation... :D

23. Unclet

Unclet

Rats, looks like I missed the free upgrade by a few weeks ... but man, this looks amazing!!!!! WTG OTEE. Can't wait!

Q: From the announcement on the web page, it looks like the new multiplayer features and terrrain engine will be supported by Indie... correct?

24. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

yes.

25. Morgan

Morgan

Sounds great! That picture of you guys testing stuff looks almost REAL!

I can't wait to see what people create with the new version.

I know upgrade pricing isn't announced, but I'll ask a related question in case it can be answered:

Will there be any total cost difference between:

Upgrading a 2006 Indie license to Pro now and then 2.0 later
    vs.
    Upgrading to 2.0 first and then going Pro
    vs.
    Upgrading Indie 1.6 to Pro 2.0 in one shot
    ?

In other words, if I plan to get 2.0, will I lose (or gain) by going Pro right now, vs. waiting?

Never hurts to ask :)

26. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

If you buy Unity Pro now or an upgrade to Unity Pro, you receive a free upgrade to 2.0.

27. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Well... it is real!

28. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

"Unity 2.0: Powered by your drool"

:D

-Jon

29. Morgan

Morgan

Great! I bet a lot of people will choose now to jump on Pro at last! The next time a client pays me something, I'm getting Unity Pro :)

Well, some of the shadows under the desk look pretty fake, but that's why you test :)

30. Lallander

Lallander

I still wish they offered a more full featured (but of course cheaper) mac only publishing version for those of us that just do this as a hobby ;)

31. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I think this is everything we could've hoped to expect form Unity 2.0... really great! The icing on the cake would've been the visual shader lab teased out several months ago, but I realize that's a serious undertaking and don't expect to see that until 3.0 (actually with OTEE's track record we'll see it by 2.0.1 :wink:).

I wonder though how carefree OTEE is going to be with the .x updates this time around. We all benefitted from the free 1.x updates until 2.0, will we see the same "generosity" this time around?

32. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

2.0 is a major update and folks will have to pay for the upgrade from 1.x. With that in mind, the upgrade price will obviously be less than a new full purchase. We'll have more info about pricing as time goes on so stay tuned. :D

33. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Yeah yeah, I mean will we see the same free upgrades through 2.x that we saw through the 1.x evolution.

34. pete

pete

yeah yeah, lol. was that rhetorical? :D

35. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

I would like to request the html texture plugin be added to 2.0 so that htmlTexture can be used in the web player.

Per the last post here
    http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic....&postorder=asc&highlight=htmltexture&start=30
    it makes for usable flash in unity. Also for implementation of Youtube videos within the Unity web player. Please put this in 2.0 so that htmlTexture can be played via the webplayer, as it will only work with standalones now.

36. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

awesome i just got a good paying job too, guess what first pay checks going to YAYYYY

i really appreciate you making sure i had a job before releasing it...im sure that was all planned....

37. hsparra

hsparra

If such capability is not already in there, then you will probably need to make that a 2.1 request :)

38. podperson

podperson

If anything, I think OTEE is *too generous* in terms of what the indie version offers. I speak here as someone currently using an indie license...

I'm certainly not complaining, and if the business model is working so far and everyone has a decent salary and bills are getting paid, then great.

39. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Pssst, hey podperson... shut the hell up will ya, we have a good thing going here. These guys are totally clueless about how good their game engine is... let's just keep creating stuff and we'll make up some bullshit about poor Vista support or something to keep them on their toes.

40. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

dude your font was to big they can hear you!!! shhh

41. jeffcraighead

jeffcraighead

So there's about 40 days left in summer right? So how about posting 1 cool new feature of 2.0 each day on the What's New page? :D

Jeff

42. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Hold your horses; there are 67 days of summer left. ;) Let's not be too eager to have it over with, even if it does bring Unity 2 closer. ...On second thought, bring on the fall!

--Eric

43. Morgan

Morgan

I think summer has 4 days left.

I can't wait for Friday!

44. Lallander

Lallander

Summer can end as early as it wants.

45. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

Hey, leave Summer out of this! Just give us a bug-free Unity 2.0 when it's ready. I'd like to enjoy BOTH. ;)

46. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

you guys are all wrong, summer ended two hours ago and ive been refreshing the buy unity page on the site for over an hour now

any second now......dynamic shadows and terrain generation.......

47. kaaJ

kaaJ

Terrains.... whoa! I need that for my snowboardgame so badly. I've been struggling with that issue for couple of weeks now!

Can't wait to check it out!
    Thanks!

Say guys, please write an amail to us if unity 2.0 is available, so I don't need to refresh the page every 5 minutes :wink:

48. boxy

boxy

Is there any chance of seeing some screenshots of the nature system gui? I'm so intrigued by it :)
    Cheers
    Boxy

49. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Hmm... wasn't RSS invented for exactly this purpose? (Unity news feed)

50. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

No offense Aras, but... there are at least 100 posts a day on this forum. The RSS feed does not help much in getting news of that kind, unless you sift through every post every day like I try to (it's getting harder!)

I'd be shocked, of course, if an email didn't go out. Every point release has had one, haven't they?