Search Unity

Unity 2.0.2 just out!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by David-Helgason, Jan 31, 2008.

1. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

We're proud to announce Unity 2.0.2, one of those small-but-big releases :)

Just counting in optimizations and bugfixes, Unity 2.0.2 is a huge release. But we added a few features and improvements too, mainly focusing on improving on the new features that were introduced in Unity 2.0. With this release we're also officially introducing the Unity Resource area, but most of you will know about those 30 great resources already.

In any case, go fetch the installer and update your games for maximum stability and performance.

Release notes: http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-2.0#unity-2.0.2
    Download: http://unity3d.com/unity/download/
    Unity Resources: http://unity3d.com/support/resources/

See you around!

2. Obscurity

Obscurity

You guys are great. That's quite an impressive feature list for a small increment update. Downloading now. Thanks!

3. nickavv

nickavv

:D Just as awesome as all the other "minor" updates you guys give us. Lots of these issues were bothering me already, and others I could have seen myself stumbling upon after long enough. I'll download when I have time!

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

And thus Unity takes one step closer to perfection!

--Eric

5. User340

User340

Wow, great update. But most of the Trees in the Terrain Assets, don't have alphas. Has anyone else noticed this?

Attached Files:

6. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Nice update UT, thanks!

7. Jessy

Jessy

The Unitron drag-n-drop functionality is really going to be a time saver for me. The new icon is attractive, too. Thanks!

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

I want to know who found this bug:

And what project you are working on. ;)

--Eric

9. taumel

taumel

The reported RenderToTexture issues are still alive...

10. drag0nsphere

drag0nsphere

Yes I have.

11. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

I'm looking into this right now

12. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

I've uploaded a fixed version of the terrain assets. Sorry for the hassle.

If you don't want to redownload, just open up all the leaf images in photoshop, flatten and save them - then Unity will pick up the alpha channel.

Nich

13. Obscurity

Obscurity

This is kind of funny because I was one of the first to grab it, but I haven't installed it yet.

I have a quick question first. Will it overwrite my 2.0.1 app file or just make a new one leaving me to manually remove the old one? It's my first incremental upgrade, so please forgive my ignorance. I just wanted to know beforehand.

Thanks.

14. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

It will install into /Application/Unity

So by default, it will overwrite your Unity 2.0.1 install, but if you rename it to, say, Unity201 before installing, it'll create a new Unity folder

15. Obscurity

Obscurity

Thanks, Nicholas. I was actually hoping it would overwrite it by default. Much cleaner that way, I think.

16. dib

dib

and about the Unity low fps on screen performance compared with others engines?

and I´m not talking about small jumping ball games!!!

I´m talking about > just 3 animated models, all in the lower resolution in the avert fate Demo with Ridiculous and unacceptable fps on screen.

It is incredible how this is not reviewed in this comunity.

17. Jessy

Jessy

Avert Fate ran great at all times on my PC with integrated graphics. Perhaps you need a tune-up or a newer machine.

18. jashan

jashan

Thanks guys! This is a really cool update - I love it! It fixes quite a few of the issues I was having... In particular, the nasty crash I had on my two Windows notebooks is gone for good. That's sooo coooool!!! And no more ints instead of bools for RPCs, also very cool!

Now let's move on to developing more cool games and adding even better features (and improving existing ones) to the funnest and most productivity-enhancingest game engine I know :)

... oh well, I guess for the UT-Masters (tm) it's time to party first, right!? 8)

Enjoy,
    Jashan

PS: V0.8 is lurking, adding power-ups right now ;-)

19. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Because there is no such issue. It is, of course, possible to make games which run badly, but that's true of all engines. There's nothing inherent in Unity that is slow; it's up to you to respect the limits of hardware and implement scalability features in an appropriate way.

--Eric

20. Foxxis

Foxxis

Ooh. A troll! :D

Anyway, fantastic update! Thanks! I'll be migrating ASAP. :)

21. dib

dib

definitly NOT.

this is what you can not see
    or does not want to see

In any engine
    you DON´T NEEDa tune-up or a newer card and machine to run 3 bone weighted animated models in a level(all in low resolution = without shaders) To achieve a decent fps on screen.

NO OFFENSE BUT This can only be a joke!

22. Foxxis

Foxxis

23. Jessy

Jessy

:D

24. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Please open a new topic on your problem and give an actual example of this issue happening. This thread is 2.0.2 announcement thread.

25. dib

dib

Foxis
    you are a NOOB Who does not know what should be tested before payingfor a game engine

jessy wrote that:
    you NEED a tune-up or a newer card and machine to run run 3 bone weighted animated models
    in a level :oops:

Jessy you are a ANOTHER NOOB :!:

26. taumel

taumel

As far as i can tell Avert Fate is running well on quite some machines but i also got reports from a few people were it was performing badly whatever the reason was.

27. Jessy

Jessy

You're not just whistling Dixie. Here's one from my high school yearbook:

28. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

And hereby I repeat myself: dib, please open a new topic on your problem and give an actual example of this issue happening. This thread is 2.0.2 announcement thread. Stay on topic.

29. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider

This is great! :D Go Unity People! I've been waiting for a terrain asset pack for a while. Thank you very very much! :D I'm looking forward to using the new trees/textures...

# Fixed Mac OS X kernel panic when creating render texture that is larger than the maximum render texture size.
    # Driver workarounds for Intel GMA X3100 card in new MacBooks on Mac OS X

Yay! :) GMA users rejoice!

30. jashan

jashan

There's people primarily focussed on developing games. And there's people primarily focussed on destructive ranting. And of course, a lot in between...

I think it's good to know who you're communicating with. It may sometimes be a good idea to check the postings someone has posted so far, and if it's only (or mostly) destructive ranting... well... that says a lot, doesn't it? Seems there's someone just really frustrated... oh well...

Personally, I prefer talking to the first group and feel it makes sense to completely ignore the second group.

Fortunately, I've only met one person in this forum that qualifies as troll, so... Time to move on and forget about it 8)

Hey Foxis, cool image, btw ;-) and Jessy - whoa, I better won't mess with you, homes ;-)

Enjoy developing your games (and whatever else you create with this incredibly cool release 2.0.2 of Unity)!!! And - as others have pointed out: Don't waste your time with trolls, even if this is a very rare species on these forums, so I guess it's kind of exciting to have one of them here...

31. dib

dib

Not only the truth!
    any demo in rhis site that I tested is very slow.

more than just 3 or 4 similar bone weighted animated models with ragdoll in a similar
    avert fate demo level, in any engine that I tested run VERY WELL in good(NOT THE BEST)computer and
    with old cards.

And I will not argue with people who are not able to see this(NOOBS).

32. jeremyace

jeremyace

dib:

http://forum.unity3d.com/viewforum.php?f=2

Then post your computer's specs such as:
    -OS version
    -Web browser version (if applicable)
    -CPU make, model, and clock speed
    -Ram
    -Video card make, model, and on-board RAM

As well as an explanation of the exact problem you had, where you had it, and any additional info.

Without this data, no one can find and fix the problem you are having as there are so many computer configurations out there.

For the record, I run a crappy old nVidia 5200FX card on my main machine and can run almost anything made with Unity.

So dib, please head over there and share the information needed to fix this problem.

-Jeremy

33. KlaRo115

KlaRo115

Very nice, but the trees have no alpha...

34. Jessy

Jessy

...from page 1:

35. dib

dib

can you read?

more than just 3 or 4 similar bone weighted animated models with ragdoll in a similar
    avert fate demo level, in any engine that I tested run VERY WELL in good(NOT THE BEST)computer and
    with old cards

almost anything? small ball jumping games?
    can you run more than just 3 or 4 similar bone weighted animated models with ragdoll in a similar
    avert fate demo level IN a crappy old nVidia 5200FX card with a decent fps on screen?

SO post the link HERE So that I can test with a crappy FX5200

I DOUBT.

36. nickavv

nickavv

dib, I don't know what your problem is, but I (and it sounds like many others) have run plenty of intensive Unity games on old computers with pathetic cards. And no, not just "Small Ball Jumping Games", which you seem to be implying are the majority of games made in Unity.

37. aaron-parr

aaron-parr

We should ignore this guy unless he is willing to start his own thread.

38. dib

dib

"have run plenty of intensive Unity games on old computers with pathetic cards"

pathetic cards? OK
    I HAVE ONE TOO (CAN I TEST?)
    Where are these INTENSIVE game links?

39. dib

dib

first

I am testing the product to see if it is worth buying or not
    I just tested all web browser demos available here and And all are very slow

If anyone prove the contrary I will be the first to apologize

So can I or NOT TEST just "1" "intensive" Unity game (with lots of DECENT bone weighted animated models) on old computers with pathetic cards to see and compare the fps?

Moldorma
    Where is 1 INTENSIVE game DEMO/TEST (NOT small jumping balls) link?

so You tells me what your fps on screen and I comprare HERE.

Great Community!

40. nickavv

nickavv

I can't remember man. It's been well over a year since I got my machine, and no longer have a slow old computer to test such things on. My card was a GeForce2, and I had a 700 MhZ Processor, and generally I ran everything posted just fine. Check the pages of showcase from about a year ago, and you'll see the kind of things that I could run.

41. walker

walker

1.st -> i have to say i bought unity cos of speed_at_high_quality, however
    im an "fps_junkie" too cos i know the consumers and i run all my tests with high fsaa settings and native screenresolution AND fps counter

machinespec:
    intel core2duo 1 ghz /1 gb ram / 128 mb video (ATIx1600) native resolution -> 1440/900
    osx 10.4.11

ive submitted racetest some days ago
    (3 moving livecams far distance 1,5 km -> more than 800 drawcalls)
    runs 40 - 50 fps windowmode in safari (800x500) default good quality
    runs 60 - 130 fps fullscreen in safari (800x500) default good quality

avert fate: runs 30 - 70 fps standalone 800x500 Best quality
    infight at the end with this heavy_bot_machine -> particles, effects, jumpinground, ducking, moving, shooting 50 - 70 fps
    but is real slow (1- 20 fps) in some areas at native resolution and best quality (no problem with)

at this point i have to say a webgame runs faster than a standalonebuild at same resolution/quality

doom3 at native resolution and good quality unplayable (1-10fps) AND jerky - i have to use 800x600 to play the game.
    quake4 at native resolution and good quality unplayable same as doom3

ive worked with another game_engine for years and i know unity is a fast one.
    i do not plan to support "old" machines and or "old" videoboards for my upcoming games, so we have to realize :
    a next_gen_game will need a next_gen_machine to run in best quality AND native resolution

hope this can help to compare

42. Foxxis

Foxxis

Some (quite obvious) things to consider:

There will always be some cases where some machines (due to card/driver combinations) will perform badly. That goes for all engines.

This in turn is due to the almost impossible level of work required by the development team to test each and every possible combination. Some will slip by.

So, as developers, it is our job to
    1) strive to deliver the best performance we can to our target audience
    2) work with the engine developers (UT) to try to resolve the cases where there might be problems.

Ranting in an aggressive, immature manner serves absolutely no purpose. I sincerely wish that the moderators would kick/ban certain people based on the behaviour and clean up this thread. Criticism is ok, preferably in the appropriate thread, but childish ranting and namecalling isn't.

Again, UT - thanks for a great 2.0.2 release! Keep it up! ;)

43. aaron-parr

aaron-parr

Folks can we start a new thread for this? Please?

44. Jessy

Jessy

Please, indeed.

45. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I'm not going to lock this thread, but I will probably either delete or move the next off topic post to its own thread beyond this point.

Please stay on topic and post your grievances to a unique thread where people are more likely to be helpful rather than inflammatory.

Thanks,
    Ethan

46. drag0nsphere

drag0nsphere

Hello I was wondering if the problem when you click on the GUI buttons has been fixed in this update. The problem was that if you clicked on a button an event would trigger even if you did not want it to.

47. terransage

terransage

Man, I've been so busy with my project that I didn't even see this announcement till now. The timing is perfect. 8)

48. Morgan

Morgan

Silly question.... the official announcements link to a new indie trial. How do I upgrade my existing 2.0 Pro?

TIA

49. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Indie and Pro are the exact same app (the only difference is the serial number). Should just be able to install over your existing version.

--Eric

50. Morgan

Morgan

That was my hope--but better safe than ending up with an Indie Trial :)