Search Unity

Unity 1.5.1 unleashed

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Joachim_Ante, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Dear community of wonderful creative and skilled people (and everyone else too).

A few minutes ago we released Unity 1.5.1.

Go download Unity 1.5.1 now all you license holders: it's a free upgrade. Everyone else: go download it too.

Release notes here: http://unity3d.com/whatsnew-1.5.1.html
    Download here: http://unity3d.com/try.html

This release is mainly about compatibility with old graphics cards and bugfixes. On windows there are tons of people who have outdated graphics card drivers, some of them full of bugs. Most game engines, put their heads in the sand and say upgrade your drivers. Problem is that a lot of people don't even know who made that graphics card and where to get those drivers.

So instead we spent 3 months working around driver bugs, testing on old and broken hardware. Making sure your games run just fine on what is otherwise a minefield of driver bugs.

Of course there are some other more flashy things like the grass rendering, updated third person platformer scripts and full unicode support. Go check it out.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Fantastic! Will take me a while to download though...I wonder if glaring at my modem will make it go faster....

--Eric

3. Marble

Marble

Amazing. This update fills a lot of little holes through which things were leaking, and the features, no matter how humble you make them seem, are blessings to us all. I'm sure you'll be seeing a fearsome array of swaying grass in the near future.

note: the release notes link from the newsflash page still links to 1.5.

4. pete

pete

woot! :D :D :D

>>While not the sexiest of "features"

i'd say that's pretty dang sexy! along with all the rest! folks check out the what's new list... wow.

eric - think everyone's dling at the same time... i'm glaring at mine too!

5. Marble

Marble

So do the performance improvements for object-heavy scenes have to do with mesh combination? I was interested in the hints there would be developments in that area.

6. Morgan

Morgan

Thanks! I never made time to test it before, but I'm spending the night with Unity and I guess it will be 1.5.1 :)

The release notes, as usual, make it clear that this is not such a tiny update...

EDIT: love the first screenshot in the notes :D

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Nope, they just put some GoFaster(tm) code in there. :) The mesh combining is a separate thing (and was possible before anyway if you wrote the script yourself); it's not going to work in all situations.

--Eric

8. hsparra

hsparra

Great update! I see something about a "car wizard" yet I do not see it anywhere. Where do I find this new fangled thing?

9. AaronC

AaronC

Yee hee, I thought this might be happening so I went to the "Try " page about five hour ago and begun downloading another "trial"...and it was called unity1.5.1...
    whatdayaknow....I guess that makes me the first dialup downloader...And a bit cunning too :twisted:
    wohahahahaha....
    AC

hmmmm its almost here....

Justread the whats new-great work guys! My geforce 4 mx440 sends its love...And Ive got a Radeon9200SE 128mb coming for my Pc too....
    Rock on!

10. Morgan

Morgan

I notice the view popup changes to "Free" when you adjust it, instead of staying at "Top" or whatever. A nice little change :) That used to bug me a little but I never stopped to think about it long enough to complain.

11. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

I cant wait to inspect that car wizard and that new terrain stuff examples. I am downloading now and I just received a package with a book about character rigging for games some minutes ago. An extended four day weekend is coming up here for me (YEAH!) and i see myself spending it in front of books and my comp. This is going to be great!

Thanks OTEE!

12. AaronC

AaronC

Hey so where is the Car wizard? Cant wait to try it out

13. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

In the Race Demo example project (it is updated from 1.5)

14. AaronC

AaronC

Choice Aras
    So what do you want for christmas? :p

15. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

I just read that 9.0 and 9.1 Versions of Cinema are now native with Unity. Does that mean, that the 1.5.0 fbx bug with C4D R9.1 is fixed? That would be really great!

16. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Most devs just work on bug fixes in their own software with .1 upgrades, you guys raise the bar and give us all this goodness in a .1 upgrade???! What... trying to make your customers happy or sommin? Sheesh! :p

BTW is there a web player for the platform game? PCs here at the office :(

Cheers!

17. AaronC

AaronC

Hey that grass is wicked. I guess these things are straightforward to use, but a brief tut, or even VIDEO-you guys do great videos-
    Would be....Oh forget it-go have a holiday, you deserve it!
    \AC
    Edit: oh Sh*t theres a grass how to...Duh
    No more 3am sessions, boy

18. hsparra

hsparra

I actually downloaded the Race Demo last night after 1.5.1 but I still did not see the car wizard. I did see the ragdoll wizard though. Can someone help me feel less foolish by pointing out where I need to look?

19. nickavv

nickavv

Downloading. This should be cool. And more/better support for older graphics cards may be a saving grace for me an' my 5 y/o computer (though I am getting a new MacBook for Christmas)

20. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Yeah, but I still can't import any Maya or C4D stuff natively from my second hard drive.

Grrrr... I want to go home and experiment with this, but I'm at work on a PC for another 7.5 hours.

21. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

*puts on bowler* What's all this then?

(What's it about?)

-Jon

22. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

When you open the Car project folder, there is a menu item:
    GameObject -> Create Car

23. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

When you have deep hierarchies with meshes, they sometimes used to get wrong rotations. This is fixed now.

24. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Ah.. great!

-Jon

25. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Are there any docs/examples for using the mesh combine utility?

(That grass generator, BTW, is totally awesome.)

--Eric

26. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

OTEE,

Thanks for the updates, car wizard, procedural(is it a slinky or a worm?), 3rd person and the grass(tempted to put a cow in there)
    :D

27. rom

rom

I wish all vedors were so dedicated to refining there products. Go Unity ! :D

28. terransage

terransage

Downloading, too. I just took a walk through the grass in the Webplayer example, and it rivals Myst! I'm speechless....

29. nafonso

nafonso

Was there any specific reason for using billboards for the grass other than performance?

The grass looks great when you are surrounded by it, but on places with less grass (e.g. near the water) it suffers the 2.5D effect, which kind of ruins the looks :(.

Maybe it shouldn't use billboards, or use a mix, in which the grass further away or away from the "boundaries" would be billboards, just an idea.

But it still looks great! :wink:

As for the car wizard, will it be default in a future release or only available on the Race Demo project?

Keep up the great work!

30. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

It's a tradeoff. Simple cross section polygons don't look very good close up, especially when you look downwards. I really didn't like the look of cross sections so i went with billboarding which is also faster.

I could have gone with instantiating lots of artist created low poly meshes, which is useful for bush types and lonely plants but that would require lots of different artist created low poly meshes and i wanted to keep the whole thing easy to use.

Getting rid of the billboarding effect is mainly a question of tweaking it.
    1. Use a smaller width for the grass size
    2. Make sure there are no lonely grass blades.

In nature you dont have a lot of lonely grass blades either. It's usually a patch of heaps of grass. So when you paint the control maps, just paint with sharp edges.

We are planning to keep the car wizard in the race demo project for now. If you want to use it in your own project simply copy out all the car scripts into your own project. The Create Car menu item will automatically show up, when you copied the scripts over.
    (Make sure to keep the Wizard itself in the Editor folder in your new project)

31. Venkman

Venkman

The grass stuff is very impressive. Nice work. I was thinking of trying a medieval type scene and the Unity folks stepped up with something o make outdoor scenes believable.

nice work.

32. dan

dan

Thanks for the great update. It seems to have fixed a number of annoying bugs (mainly graphics related, but a few others too) that had stalled my enthusiasm to finish a couple of small games.

It's great day to be playing with Unity!