Search Unity

[UnitTest][NSubstitute]After upgrade to Unity2017, nor Unity neitherVS2017 can execute UnitTests

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by FlorentFal, Oct 16, 2017.

1. FlorentFal

FlorentFal

Hello,

I work on a project created on Unity5.6. I created dozen of UnitTests that I executed into VisualStudio. Theses tests do a heavy use of NSubstitute .

I've done an upgrade to Unity2017 that now embeded a custom version of NUnit. These custom version of NUnit, I assume, add some new attributes as "UnityTest"...

But it seems that version is no more compliant with unitTest execution out of Unity editor. VisualStudio give me following errors :

In same time, trying to execute same UnitTest in UnityEditor via new "Test Runner" windows "editor mode" give following error, which I assume mean that Unity embeded version of NUnit is missing something...? :

Unity's UnitTest team support is welcome ! :)

Thank you

Florent

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  2. FlorentFal

FlorentFal

Found this issue but don't known what mean its status "Fix in review"..will try last stable Unity version...

3. networm

networm

4. CosmicGiant

CosmicGiant

I have the exact same problem

5. FlorentFal

FlorentFal

Hi here's status for both problem :

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException at Resharper UnitTest execution : will not be fixed - (explain at https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...ion-when-running-nunit-tests-in-visual-studio)

System.MissingMethodException : Method not found: 'System.Reflection.Emit.TypeBuilder.DefineProperty' : , aka NSubstitute problem : I've open a issue at https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?959847_19ldibmfh11rp2s2, which is still "open" but which cannot be found on public issue tracker, I don't know what that mean about this problem resolution...

Answer by networm did not help but I can't remeber why (I will give it a new try this week), did you try Unity 2017 beta version ?? => KO on Unity 2017.3.0b10

If you found any workaround, please let a comment here !

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  6. FlorentFal

FlorentFal

I've juste found this recent answer about NSubstitute integration with Unity 2017, will also check it this week.

7. CosmicGiant

CosmicGiant

Ok... A few steps in the right direction, and a "workaround" of sorts:
    1) I could confirm that the problem is caused by Unity's own custom-built NUnit being incompatible with ReSharper's test-runner.
    2) I could confirm that the unit-tests worked before due to Unity's custom NUnit being based on an older version of NUnit before Unity2017; don't ask me how that made it work, however; because I can't make any sense out of how an older, more divergent version worked, and a "closer" version doesn't. It's probably dark magic. (like much in Unity, unfortunately)
    3) The "workaround" (not really, but at least we can unit-test) is to use Unity's test-runner, in the editor. External test-runners are unlikely to work out-of-the-box.
    4) Maybe, just maybe, ReSharper can still be made to target Unity's custom NUnit... ReSharper has such "custom NUnit" option under ReSharper -> Options -> Tools -> Unit Testing -> NUnit -> Custom NUnit installation... Checking the "Use specified custom NUnit" checkbox and specifying the path to Unity's custom NUnit (That's C:\Program Files\Unity\MonoDevelop\Addins\NUnit on windows) gets rid of the exception (YAY!), but still results in "Inconclusive: Test not run" (DOH!) for some other reason I haven't identified yet.

8. networm

networm

9. FlorentFal

FlorentFal

@networm , your asset solved the resharper integration probleme! Thank you very much !:)

10. sejton

sejton

@FlorentFal I've found this NSubstitute post where they discuss the same problem I believe is bothering you (and me). They've concluded it's a Unity issue. As a workaround for now, I'll be writing functions instead of properties even though it's not always a pleasant thing to do.

Do you have any updates on System.MissingMethodException issue you've posted? Anyone else still encountering this issue?

11. Zwer99

Zwer99

@sejton I have the same problem when using NSubstitute

12. sejton

sejton

Again, refering to this NSubstitute post, I kind man/woman named benji7425 recently added a comment saying:

Thank you kind sir. I've successfully resolved this issue using NSubstitute version 2.0.1-rc. @Zwer99, and others, I'm referencing that post here as I hope you and others will find it useful as I did.