Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unite Now - Kinematica – Democratizing Motion Matching for Character Animation

Discussion in 'Animation Previews' started by AskCarol, Apr 28, 2020.

1. diggerjohn

diggerjohn

Thank you @Grimreaper358 and @awesomedata
    I am just trying to use my Characters with Kinematica.
    I will gladly use another rig but it is critical I use my custom characters.
    My team wants to leverage the Kinematica system and motion database.
    As you see above the Kinematica team doesn't appear to have a clear path for getting custom characters to work with the system.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    awesomedata likes this.
  2. EthanCS1993

EthanCS1993

Vairbale Binary.Tag.intervalIndex and Binary.Tag.numIntervals is always 0, because they are not assigned with a value during asset build process.

3. nortangol

nortangol

Hello.
    I used a package of Kinematica, but I can't achieve the desired result. I made my own project based on the Biped Locomotion project. I retargeted your animation on my character and when I control a character, his movements (animation) are different from the control trajectory, dead zones are formed and the character does not go into an Idle state. I tried to change the metrics settings, but the results do not get better. What may be the reason why the control trajectories do not coincide with the animation trajectories?

4. giraffe1

giraffe1

5. cicciok19

cicciok19

Hi there,
    I downloaded the demo for the 0.8 version of Kinematica (https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/Kinematica_Demo/releases) but when i open the scene i can't see nothing. I think the problem is that there aren't any mesh for the prefabs that are in the scene, as shown in the inspector. Anyone had the same problem?

Attached Files:

6. florianhanke

florianhanke

Is there any information when 0.9 is coming out? 0.8 is getting a bit old in the tooth (still using NativeString etc.)

7. consolelw

consolelw

I tried my own idle and run animation clips and model in snappy locomotion demo. But when I enter play mode and move the charactor, in the kinematica asset builder window, it only matches the idle segmant. I tried to find the difference between my clips and the demo's, the conclusion is my run clip does not contains root motion, which means the animation runs in the same point while animating. So there is no trajectory prediction in the preview mode.
    Is that the root motion necessary for the animation clips?

8. kite3h

kite3h

Sometimes this happens. I watched a video explaining how to prevent this, but I can't find it again.

9. Stevie-Gamer

Stevie-Gamer

10. pbechard

pbechard

Is there a way to use Kinematica to create variance in animations? With traditional state machines you might blend between a bag of animation clips in a randomized way.

11. @FrancoisFournel Can we assume that Kinematica is just dead in the water? Since you guys haven't given any sign of life for a long time with this project?
    I am evaluating my options and I was able to bring the hello world into (a very fragile) life with some surgery (updating the code from the NativeString API), but it doesn't seem too feasible.
    What are the plans with this package? Do you work on it or abandoned like many other Unity projects over the years?

12. beatdesign

beatdesign

Please Unity staff answer to this. I'd like to invest days on Kinematica for machine learning related stuff, and it would be really helpful if someone can confirm that it isn't a dead project.

ftejada and TerraUnity like this.
  13. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

+1

It was cool when it came out but now!

beatdesign and ftejada like this.
  14. ftejada

ftejada

Please gentlemen of Unity, we need information ...
    Greetings

beatdesign likes this.
  15. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

16. If we weren't playing with the new tech sooner, you would have twice as many bugs than you have now...

17. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

painful to imagine, so keep playing and I'll join in when I'm done.

18. FrancoisFournel

FrancoisFournel

Unity Technologies

Hello Folks,

I sincerely apologize for the delay, I should have replied sooner. As written in the Animation Status Update posted last December, following Unity roadmap for 2021, we shifted all our development effort on delivering a high-quality and well-integrated suite of animation technology. Therefore all development concerning Kinematica is temporarily suspended and will not resume before 2022

The Kinematica package version 0.8 is still available for users to try and experiment, but it won't receive support before next year.

laurentlavigne likes this.
  19. FrancoisFournel

FrancoisFournel

Unity Technologies

You can achieve similar result from code, by randomizing the Tag for your Kinematica Query. In the samples we match Idle always with the same PoseSet (idleCandidates) :

Code (CSharp):
    1. Synthesizer.MatchPose(idleCandidates, Synthesizer.Time, MatchOptions.DontMatchIfCandidateIsPlaying | MatchOptions.LoopSegment, 0.01f)
    But you can have a preset of PoseSet of randomly select one you want when making a query.

That's obviously not as convenient as in Mecanim, we probably can add easiest way to do it in the future

20. Well, I probably misinterpreted the "it will maintain all its current functionality" part. Thanks.

21. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

upload_2021-3-15_8-42-33.png

Lahcene, id0 and knxrb like this.
  22. damian1994

damian1994

hello any news? will this resource be updated for humanoid characters??

23. sinjinn

sinjinn

I think this is finished.

24. SenseEater

SenseEater

About time we get a Unity Cemetery similar to Google cemetery.

25. bobadi

bobadi

just seen a project which uses Kinematica 0.9.0 (based on console messages)
    https://github.com/nixon-voxell/UnityAnimaticExamples

probably not. (the installed com.unity.kinematica version is 0.8.0)
    but still might be interesting if the project extended the package

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  26. GeorgeAdamon

GeorgeAdamon

alexmalyutindev likes this.
  27. LeFx_Tom

LeFx_Tom

It's dead - i think it was even mentioned somewhere, that they stopped this project.

Lahcene and ThynkTekStudio like this.
  28. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

that's just sad. Besides actually killing the project - not communicating it with its own userbase it just plain wrong.

29. Onigiri

Onigiri

It was communicated

30. FrancoisFournel

FrancoisFournel

Unity Technologies

Hello, sorry for the delay.

No there is no update on Kinematica because we are all focusing our efforts on DOTS Animation : https://forum.unity.com/threads/animation-status-update-q4-2022.1377234/

I understand your frustration, I would like to give a bit more context : in the past, we have been guilty of releasing multiple packages that don't integrate well with each other. The first versions of Kinematica that we released and advertised on this forum were one of them. Kinematica is completely incompatible with Mecanim state machine, misses Mecanim critical features (animation compression, ...), reimplement the same features differently (like animation events, so Mecanim events added to AnimationClip are ignored by Kinematica, ...), not mentioning other packages like rigging, timeline or visual scripting.

A huge amount of users naturally complained about this, and we simply couldn't continue in the same direction. That's why we addressed these issues the past few years by focusing and a common and cohesive tech that is DOTS Animation, that supports both ECS and GameObject and is aimed to harmonize every animation workflow in Unity.

Naturally it takes lot of time, but we can't think about a proper Kinematica integration in Unity before we have solid foundations.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

DungDajHjep, Kreshi, Ofx360 and 3 others like this.
  31. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

Any chance we can play with this new tech? We are currently in the early stages of a vertical slice and this is the perfect time to adopt new tech.

32. UnityChinny

UnityChinny

Unity Technologies

Hi YuriyPopov

As mentioned in the link above, we are still some way from having this ready to play with, sorry. However when it is, we will certainly be shouting it from the rooftops!

33. Lahcene

Lahcene

Is it safe to assume that this has been put to sleep just like Kinematica?

34. FrancoisFournel

FrancoisFournel

Unity Technologies

Lahcene likes this.
  35. optimise

optimise

Hi. I would like to ask few questions.
    1) Will DOTS Animation work together with Timeline nicely or there's DOTS Timeline in development that will ship together with DOTS Animation?
    2) How DOTS Animation going to support GameObject? Is that still using game object skinned mesh renderer to do rendering?
    3) Does DOTS Animation in development currently support DOTS Netcode? If no kindly make it support it DOTS Netcode nicely by default. It's critical to my DOTS Netcode game project.
    4) Is there's any new Animation windows that will improve current animation windows significantly?
    upload_2023-10-11_16-53-49.png

Last edited: Oct 11, 2023
  36. UnityChinny

UnityChinny

Unity Technologies

Hi. As mentioned in my other animation posts, we can't always address all questions when relating to forward looking development. But we do track these forums, and are very aware of these requests.
    If you do have any specific requests, please do log them here, and it will automatically go into our tracking backlog.
    Thanks
    Chinny