Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unite Now - Empowering Player Communications with Vivox

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AskCarol, Apr 29, 2020.

1. AskCarol

AskCarol

Unite Now Session
    Learn how to enable powerful voice and chat communications for your game that can lead to long-lasting communities and amazing in-game experiences. We'll explore the technical and player benefits of Vivox, along with how to enable features like cross-platform support and 3D positional audio.

When
    Thu, May 14, 9:00 AM PT

Where
    You can watch the session here!
    Make sure to sign up to get access to all Unite Now content.

Together with this Unite Now session we are also hosting a Q&A here in this thread to answer as many of your questions as possible.

A team of product experts from across Unity will be available starting after the session. Our Community team will continue to field questions to foster an ongoing discussion with the community. Please feel free to ask your questions in this thread.

Some basic rules
    • Don’t bundle multiple unrelated questions in one reply. One question/topic per reply.

• Only questions related to the topics of the session are permitted.

• All questions will be fielded by our Community Managers (@LeonhardP and @AskCarol)
      • Replies will have to be approved by the moderators to show up in the thread.

• Once approved, the questions will be forwarded to the relevant experts.

We really look forward to hearing from the community.

Thank you!

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Cuttlas-U likes this.
  2. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Hi Carol, thanks for the info. We're porting our PS4 game to the PC side right now and this was very good timing. We've been using the native PS4 chat on that platform and are looking for a PC side solution. I saw you have support for the PS4 but I thought Sony would not allow cross platform chat. Are you aware of any easing of this policy?

AskCarol likes this.
  3. Scott_Vivox

Scott_Vivox

Unity Technologies

Hi Reggie! We actually spoke last year and am glad to see your project is still moving forward. While I can't comment on partner policies, I can tell you that we fully support cross platform chat across all of the platforms we work with. There are several titles using this functionality on the PS4.

4. Cuttlas-U

Cuttlas-U

Hey
    I'm using Vivox in a project almost a year now ,
    My problem is the Realease date of our project is not obvious yet ( its a big project ),
    so its is in debug mode in our Vivox panel ,
    we will also have lots of tests so I wonder how many players can test our game while its still in test mode ?
    and how much time do we have for this debuging ?
    is it like forever ?

I can also use some information about publishing our game in vivox , I read the document and i know we should put vivox logo and have some testing for our game to be accepted and published from vivox , but its not clear for me how much testing we need for that ?

Thanks for your efforts for the indie community ,
    Vivox is so easy to use and so fast to implement . I Like it so much ,

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    AskCarol likes this.
  5. sathya

sathya

Since there is no official unity thread for vivox may be someone from the team can assist me with the issue.
    When exiting the playmode in editor, The editor crashes because of the following exception

Code (CSharp):
    1. Stack Trace of Crashed Thread 20416:
    2. 0x00007FF8963B27F0 (VivoxNative) CSharp_vx_req_account_channel_favorite_group_delete_t_account_handle_set
    3. 0x0000021C5ECDA2B6 (VivoxUnity) VivoxCoreInstancePINVOKE.vx_req_account_logout_t_account_handle_set()
    4. 0x0000021C5ECDA14B (VivoxUnity) vx_req_account_logout_t.set_account_handle()
    5. 0x0000021C5ECD9A8B (VivoxUnity) VivoxUnity.Private.LoginSession.Logout()
    6. 0x0000021C5ECD9662 (Assembly-CSharp) VivoxVoiceManager.Logout()
    I call Vivox logout when photon is disconnected like this
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  if (LoginSession != null && LoginState != LoginState.LoggedOut && LoginState != LoginState.LoggingOut)
    2.         {
    3.             OnUserLoggedOutEvent?.Invoke();
    4.             LoginSession.PropertyChanged -= OnLoginSessionPropertyChanged;
    5.             LoginSession.Logout();
    6.         }

6. Scott_Vivox

Scott_Vivox

Unity Technologies

Hi there, please post your issue in the forum section of the Vivox developer portal for greater visibility and tracking.

7. Scott_Vivox

Scott_Vivox

Unity Technologies

Thank you for your kind words. We'd like you to move to a production environment if you think you will have more than 100 concurrent players. Regarding testing, generally a week or more of 10+ players should be sufficient. You do not need to wait until you publish to submit for production, and you will always have access to both environments (live and test builds). Hope that answers your questions!

Cuttlas-U likes this.
  8. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Hey Scott, yes I remember talking with you!. While it wasn't the best fit when we last spoke, things have changed and I think this may be a better solution for us. It would probably be good to talk again soon. I'll see if I can find your e-mail and send you a message with details.

Reg

9. ksc_3899

ksc_3899

Hello guys, I am trying to figure out how to make Unity work and I just can't seem to. I am very familiar with PUN and have been using it for nearly an year now. But Vivox just seems to go over my head. After quite a bit of struggle, I could figure out the implementation of the UI related stuff from the sample Tanks game. However, player position synchronization and implementing positional audio are still a big problem for me. I don't seem to understand the purpose of certain scripts like 'TankSetup', 'TeamManager', etc. from the same provided.

Could anyone please direct me on how I can implement play synchronization across clients?

10. ksc_3899

ksc_3899

Hii @Scott_Vivox

I have this error, could you please help me?
    Once I join a room created by someone else, I am getting an error in the console 'method or operation not implemented'.
    This happens only when someone else is joining my room, not when I join someone else's room or create my own room. Here are some screenshots.

upload_2020-7-19_12-11-37.png

The error is coming from VxUnityInterop.cs from the following line -
    upload_2020-7-19_12-12-24.png

Can you please help me with it?

11. Scott_Vivox

Scott_Vivox

Unity Technologies

Hi Sai, if you have one of our Enterprise Options, you can email dev-support (at) vivox (dot) com. If you are on our free plan, you are welcome to post on the Vivox specific forums here: https://support.vivox.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

12. AskCarol

AskCarol

For anyone having issues with Vivox:

If you're looking for some help with some of your Vivox issues, please head over to the Developer Portal for support.

Thanks!

13. sathya

sathya

@AskCarol Hi Carol Can you please answer this
    The free version has a 5000 PCU limit. Is it per game title or collective sum of all games in the account?
    And what happens if the limit is reached? Is there a burst option in a free account? or it won't simply allow users to connect to vivox?

AskCarol likes this.
  14. sathya

sathya

What is the cost of Text-To-Speech service? Is it a part of the free 5000PCU plan?

15. MurphyMurph_21

MurphyMurph_21

If you havent already found out the information the 5000 PCU limit is combined total for all your applications using Vivox. Your players can still use Vivox if you reach over 5,000 players. Vivox will charge you but they say it's $2,000 for every 5,000 so im not sure if you actually have to reach over 10,000 to pay or if you only reach 5,001 players then they will only charge for the one player instead of $2,000. Text to speech is included in the plan for free.

16. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

When will Vivox support Linux?

17. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Unfortunately, the Vivox community forum is not as helpful as the main Unity forums. A lot of questions in the Vivox community forum never get answered. Unity might want to consider migrating Vivox into the main Unity forums.

18. MurphyMurph_21

MurphyMurph_21

Heres a very basic tutorial on how start implementing Vivox with Unity for Windows

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  19. HernandoNJ

HernandoNJ

20. HernandoNJ

HernandoNJ

This is a great vivox video from Ashley Alicea. Thank you very much.
    It would be great if you can make a tutorial series about vivox, like the Unity Learn series. It's really needed. @AskCarol

21. AJTiger

AJTiger

Is Vivox support Unity WebGL platform?