Search Unity

Unite Austin Technical Presentation

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by MartinGram, Mar 20, 2018.

1. MartinGram

MartinGram

Administrator

Unite Austin Technical Presentation

As part of the preview release of the Entity Component System, we have worked with our friends from Nordeus to make available a version of the technical presentation we showed at Unite Austin.

A cut down version of the presentation is available on Github. Our focus has been to provide you with an updated version that utilises the latest Entity Component System and to make available a functioning shader for texture driven vertex animation. This version is not graphically equivalent of the presentation that took place at Unite Austin.

Click here to access the Unite Austin Technical Presentation

You can find a walkthrough of the development of the Nordeus Demo

2. sebas77

sebas77

I'd like to check the source code

3. MartinGram

MartinGram

Administrator

4. MstislavPavlov

MstislavPavlov

Where i can get b12 version(used in presentation)?

5. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

You can download it from here.

6. sebas77

sebas77

how come are there two versions? The full one runs only on I9s?

7. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

The original demo we showed at Unite Austin used a lot of assets from Nordeus's games.
    So in order to release it we stripped the assets down to what we can release publicly and made for example new FX from scratch.

8. sebas77

sebas77

OK so code wise it's the same, that's what I needed to know thanks!

9. MikeJH

MikeJH

Any jobs using NavMeshQuery must be completed before we mutate the NavMesh.
    I do not know how to fix it.

Ylly likes this.
  10. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

NavMeshWorld.GetDefaultWorld().AddDependency(JobHandle)

should be used when scheduling a job that queries a navmesh, we will fix places where it doesn't in the demo.

11. MikeJH

MikeJH

THX.

12. MikeJH

MikeJH

When I run the NordeusDemo. Some ERROR appearance.

ArgumentException: This visualElement is not my child
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.VisualElement+Hierarchy.Remove (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.VisualElement child) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/VisualElementHierarchy.cs:285)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.VisualElement.Remove (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.VisualElement element) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/VisualElementHierarchy.cs:103)
    UnityEditor.GUIView.OnDisable () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUIView.cs:177)
    UnityEditor.HostView.OnDisable () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:81

Couldn't call method UNetDomainReload because the class NetworkIdentity or method couldn't be found.

ReflectionTypeLoadException: Exception of type 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' was thrown.
    System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () (at <80e2a14930c247a2a3202625addf097a>:0)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.Factories.DiscoverFactories () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UXML/VisualElementFactory.cs:58)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.Factories.RegisterFactory (System.String fullTypeName, System.Func`3[T1,T2,TResult] factory) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UXML/VisualElementFactory.cs:31)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.Factories.RegisterFactory[T] (System.Func`3[T1,T2,TResult] factory) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UXML/VisualElementFactory.cs:37)
    UnityEditor.Experimental.UIElements.UXMLEditorFactories.RegisterAll () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/UIElements/Controls/UXMLEditorFactories.cs:18)
    UnityEditor.GUIView.get_panel () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUIView.cs:42)
    UnityEditor.GUIView.get_visualTree () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUIView.cs:56)
    UnityEditor.GUIView.OnEnable () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUIView.cs:170)
    UnityEditor.HostView.OnEnable () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:74)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.OnEnable () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:11

ReflectionTypeLoadException: Exception of type 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' was thrown.
    System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () (at <80e2a14930c247a2a3202625addf097a>:0)
    Unity.Entities.DefaultWorldInitialization.Initialize (System.String worldName, System.Boolean editorWorld) (at C:/ProgramData/Unity/cache/packages/staging-packages.unity.com/com.unity.entities@0.0.11/Unity.Entities.Hybrid/Injection/DefaultWorldInitialization.cs:41)
    Unity.Entities.AutomaticWorldBootstrap.Initialize () (at C:/ProgramData/Unity/cache/packages/staging-packages.unity.com/com.unity.entities@0.0.11/Unity.Entities.Hybrid/Injection/AutomaticWorldBootstrap.cs:11)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    TextureAnimatorSystemGui.OnGUI () (at Assets/Scripts/Rendering/TextureAnimatorSystemGui.cs:17)

13. MikeJH

MikeJH

New errors

Assets/Scripts/UIController.cs(5,19): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `UI' does not exist in the namespace `UnityEngine'. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/Scripts/UIController.cs(13,9): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `Image' could not be found. Are you missing `UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements' using directive?

14. KYL3R

KYL3R

I think you really need to use the b12 version linked above. I got it working. However I am missing the spells/arrows. Units walk around and fight as seen on Unite Austin. The arrows would be cool, but I can still learn from the other stuff.

15. pbrito_unity

pbrito_unity

I got the demo running but the exposition effects are boxy.
    How can I correct this?

16. manish191

manish191

Hi,
    I just downloaded the project. I am using unity version 2018.1.b13 version. Its giving error on the staging package assembly reference. Can we when this will be updated for 2018.1.b13 version?

17. MartinGram

MartinGram

Administrator

We have not yet update the required build to 2018.1.b13. You can find the required build for the Entity Component System here

18. manish191

manish191

Thanks @MartinGram. I have downloaded the project. Now its running. but some feature are missing from the actual presentation.

19. MartinGram

MartinGram

Administrator

Which features in particular are you missing?

20. FuzzyShan

FuzzyShan

Hi, I was able to get the demo working, I extracted the textureAnimatorSystem part and modified shader to support forward pass. Then I build it on android with Vulkan API, and it was perfect, showing 1000 soliders or many As I specified with my own spawnSystem ecs. Framerate is at 33(locked) doesn't matter if it is 100 soliders or 1000 soliders, however, seems my animation become very slow when my solider count increases.... I am not sure why this is happening? Is it because when firing up the jobs at start for baking the texture, the framerate is really low at that time?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  21. xarismax

xarismax

I am trying the demo with Unity 2018.2.0f2, which is the "Official" 2018.2 version, so bugs shouldn't appear.

1) If i use com.unity.entities@0.0.12-preview6 or preview8 i get the following error:
    error CS1644: Feature `out variable declaration' cannot be used because it is not part of the C# 6.0 language specification

2) If i use com.unity.entities@0.0.12-preview2 at least it compiles. But when i hit play:
    a. no units spawn with 'S' or fireballs shot with '1', '2'.
    b. console produces the following error
    System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () at DefaultWorldInitialization.cs:69

3) If i use com.unity.entities@0.0.12-preview4, it cannot find "bool1" class.

4) Was i supposed to use com.unity.entities@0.0.11, as described in the manifest? I get the following error:
    com.unity.entities@0.0.11/Unity.Entities.Editor/ExtraTypesProvider.cs(6,32): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Build' does not exist in the namespace `UnityEditor.Experimental'. Are you missing an assembly reference?

It worked, after Following 4 with the guidelines in:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-2018-2-beta-1-and-ecs.527385/

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  22. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

1,2) Setup target .net to 4.x in PlayerSettings and use preview8.
    3) bool1/float1/int1 etc not exists anymore.
    4) It's moved outside Experimental namespace

23. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

I have been trying 2 days to port this to just the next version of Entities in Unity 2018.4 (preview 12 i think)

and have zero success, i corrected like 200+ errors and now am stuck as many things are just 100% different or missing ( e.g. fixedarray does not exist in componentType etc)

Is there an updated version of this demo for the latest version of entities ?

Thanks