Search Unity

Question Unite 2022 - XRI 2.2 and cross device play

Discussion in 'XR Interaction Toolkit and Input' started by ShawnFeatherly, Nov 2, 2022.

1. ShawnFeatherly

ShawnFeatherly

The Unite 2022 keynote was great. I was particularly interested in XRI 2.2 and cross-device play, starting at 13:23 in the Unite 2022 keynote. I couldn't find any details on the new cross device support in the Unite 2022 agenda. Is there a good spot to learn what's included in the increased XRI 2.2 cross device support?

2. VRDave_Unity

VRDave_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @ShawnFeatherly,
    The release notes for XRI 2.2 can be found here. While there is nothing specifically added for any one particular device, we made enhancements to some of the workflows that make it easier to work on XR projects, such as some minor fixes to the Device Simulator that makes it easier to test interaction capabilities having to switch project settings, automatically adding needed components when using the Input System with the XR Origin, and the biggest one is adding the required prefabs to get started in a fresh project (can be found in the Starter Assets sample package found in the XR Interaction Toolkit area of Package Manager). These prefabs are setup/tested with the most common XR devices, such as Meta Quest 1 & 2, Windows Mixed Reality devices and PS VR2. We have also tested with HTC Vive Pro and Valve Index, but there are some documented input changes required to fully utilize those devices at this time. We do hope to integrate those needed pieces into the standard offering for XRI so developers don't have to build custom solutions for every different controller type out there.

In our upcoming release of XRI 2.3.0, we will be adding even more features to utilize new devices and input modalities that are becoming more and more common (such as hands as gaze).

DevDunk and ShawnFeatherly like this.
  3. Shizola

Shizola

I think you guys should promote your own work a little more, would anyone know about 2.2 unless they found this thread or saw Unite? Changelog looks really good, but I'm confused why it took so long to add those prefabs?

I was hoping the scene shown at Unite would be in the Sample Assets folder. Is that coming soon?

DevDunk likes this.
  4. mikeNspired

mikeNspired

My package manager only shows 2.0.4, i had to manually type in 2.2.0 in the manifest. On your XRI git repository it looks like master is on 2.2.0 but the latest push from unity is 2.0.4.
    Is there a reason?

ShawnFeatherly likes this.
  5. VRDave_Unity

VRDave_Unity

Unity Technologies

@Shizola,
    The samples you saw during Unite will ship soon as a replacement for the XRI Samples in GitHub due to the size of the project (we don't want to bloat your package folder). We are going through our internal standards process and cleaning up the project for public release, so this should hopefully land soon.

@mikeNspired,
    This is somewhat in-line with how Unity does releases in general: new tech-stream releases while still supporting LTS versions of the Editor with patch fixes. The most recent feature release for XRI was 2.2.0. This is not to confuse the latest patch release of XRI, which was 2.0.4, which was a backport of fixes from 2.2.0 to the 2.0.x branch. This is done for LTS versions of the Editor where the verified feature set is locked for almost all non-critical packages (in most situations anyway). In any case, to update to 2.2.0 in 2021.3 or 2022.1, you would need to modify the manifest file, as you said. This is definitely not the most user-friendly process, but we are looking to improve that and discoverability in general.

6. mgear

mgear

@VRDave_Unity Are those new interaction samples available somewhere yet or sometime soon? (i dont mind pulling wip branch if it still contains unnecessary stuff, for testing it)

TriCAT_Unity-Pro-1 and Shizola like this.
  7. ZeBraNS

ZeBraNS

+1

TriCAT_Unity-Pro-1 likes this.
  8. mgear

mgear

9. Shizola

Shizola

mgear likes this.
  10. mgear

mgear