Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unite 2019: No Americas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LightStriker, Feb 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LightStriker

LightStriker

https://unite.unity.com/

• 1 in Europe
    • 1 in Australia
    • 5 in Asia

Did I miss something? Sounds so far away since Unite Boston or Unite L.A.
    What happened exactly? Are the Americas bad market? Why 5 in Asia?

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

They might just not have a date locked down yet.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Why not 5 in Asia, sounds fair considering how many historically have been in America :)

Shorely likes this.
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This is the beginning of the end. First Unity pulls out of America. Other smaller companies follow suit. Eventually the big multinationals catch on. In five years the US economy will be completely collapsed. In ten years the US dollar will be worth a fraction of the Yaun. China will be the dominant super power. When historians look back on this period in time, they will draw a straight line back to this forum post that started the panic.

I better go brush up on my Mandarin. ;)

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

On a serious note, Sydney in May seems to be an odd time and place for Australia. It wouldn't surprise me if they announce another one as part of MIGW. They will at least do a developer day, its too big an event for Unity to miss out on.

Its also possible (but unlikely) that Unity is taking an active political stance by skipping the US.

Edit: Just confirmed with local Unity rep, no Unite in Melbourne this year. Developer day only. So maybe the the schedule is complete.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  6. Moonjump

Moonjump

I understand 5 in Asia as they are all different markets with different languages. I was a bit surprised at none in America. I think moving the main one around makes sense, but they still had one in Europe last year when it wasn't the main one. I would have expected at least a TBC for America. Not that I will be going to one in USA, as I am in UK.

I can remember going to an Untied event a few years ago in London. It was an unofficial event because there was no Unite in Europe, but ended up with support from Unity. It was a much smaller event, but was great. I would love to see more of that kind of event. Maybe there will be one in USA organised by someone from the forums?

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Only that this isn't a recent occurrence. Unity has been steadily increasing the number of events in Asia.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180427050723/https://unite.unity.com/ - Unite 2018

America - 1
    Asia - 3
    Europe - 1

https://web.archive.org/web/20170407221801/https://unite.unity.com/ - Unite 2017

America - 1
    Asia - 4
    Australia - 1
    Europe - 1
    India - 1

No, it's not that the American markets are bad, it's that they're growing at a very slow pace compared to Asia. Check out the Statista chart at the link below. Both America and Asia were at a steady pace up until last year when Asia suddenly gained a massive spike in their market. Asia is now more than double the revenue of America.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/539572/games-market-revenue-by-region/

Socrates likes this.
  8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Australia's geographic proximity to Asia matters. If your aim is entry into Asia, you'd be silly to ignore Australia as a stepping stone.

hippocoder and Ryiah like this.
  9. Murgilod

Murgilod

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

Plus I have to imagine the travel costs for the developers is not insignificant. Unity may have money to burn on the Unite conventions but that doesn't mean the developers do.

11. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Please go on and tell me more about the country I am living in.

bobisgod234 and angrypenguin like this.
  12. Murgilod

Murgilod

Give it a rest, my god.

13. LightStriker

LightStriker

My thought too... 2-2-4 maybe or something like that. Brazil is also quite a growing market. Just looks weird to me. I understand Unite is in part a promotion tool, but I didn't think it was ONLY a promotion tool for growing markets.

Shorely likes this.
  14. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Visited a few times for business. Have a fair few working relationships with people in various parts of Asia. Have spent a fair bit of time and effort on various teams and projects marketing into Asia, both from NZ and from Australia.

Done some googling too, and my gut feel is confirmed. Australia is already a major trading partner with many Asian nations.

angrypenguin likes this.
  15. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I get the impression there's also a huge number of people from Asia studying in Australia?

16. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Now you are just being straight up dishonest. Neither of those were produced by the Australian government, nor do they represent the views of the Australian government or the average Australian. I'm out.

Socrates and angrypenguin like this.
  17. Murgilod

Murgilod

"YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY BE AUSTRALIAN! A TRUE AUSTRALIAN WOULD NEVER CALL ME OUT ON MY BULLSHIT"

18. Murgilod

Murgilod

I've already caught on, but it's more that I've caught on to the fact that you have no clue what you're talking about.

Antypodish, Kiwasi and angrypenguin like this.
  19. Murgilod

Murgilod

Nice scare quotes around "multi-cultural" you got there. Got any other gems you want to roll out?

20. Murgilod

Murgilod

Those are literally scare quotes. Multicultural is a word that exists. By putting quotes around you, you are essentially underlining it while trying desperately not to say that you have a problem with people who are different than you.

Ryiah likes this.
  21. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

This thread went to a weird place.

no when I say 'weird place' I do not mean 'Australia'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.