Search Unity

Unite 2014 videos available?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hexdump, Aug 26, 2014.

1. hexdump

hexdump

Hi,

Sorry if this is not the correct place for this question but is there any possibility to have a look at the unite 2014 videos any time soon? Are they going to be released?

Thanks in advance.

2. randomperson42

randomperson42

3. schmosef

schmosef

The videos from the training day just went up on their YouTube channel and they've updated the site's tutorial section as well.

Here's hoping they start posting the session videos sooner than later.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    randomperson42 likes this.
  4. hexdump

hexdump

Hi,

Thanks for the answer.

Cheers.

5. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Here you go!: Link

6. Archania

Archania

Cool I have stuff to watch tonight!

7. Zeblote

Zeblote

Is this done? Or should we wait a bit?

More specifically:

- will there be more than 13 videos?
    - is youtube still processing 1080p or is it simply not there?

8. schmosef

schmosef

Wow, you guys are awesome! Thanks @Andy Touch!

9. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

I don't know if there will be more than 13 videos; I guess that as more are edited, they will be uploaded?! But as it stands, there is already video content and talks that cover tons of topics!: PBR, Enlighten, Mecanim, WebGL, Physics, UI, 2D, AI, Roadmap, etc

Don't thank me! Thank our devs for giving the talks, the crew who filmed them and our online content team for editing them and putting them on Youtube. :)

10. Zeblote

Zeblote

Is 720p the highest resolution that will be available?

11. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Currently, yes. Unless our online content team change that. However, the videos are all perfectly watchable at 720p!

12. Zeblote

Zeblote

Yes, I just wanted to know whether I should wait for more. While 720p is fine, 1080p is obviously better!

13. Saxi

Saxi

1080p makes a huge difference when looking at code. 720p is many times difficult to read code even at full screen where it is perfectly readable at 1080p.

14. hexdump

hexdump

Wow! That's great thank. I would like to see the UFrame video too :).

Thanks a lot.

15. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Ok, it may be crisper in 1080, but its still readable at 720; try out the Advanced UI video for reading example code. :)

16. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

There is now 37 videos from Unite 2014 on our Youtube Channel. Is that enough? :p

17. schmosef

schmosef

No! :D

Are we going to get the Magic Leap video? I hope it's better than their TEDx presentation.

18. schmosef

schmosef

The Magic Leap video is posted! I'm watching it now!

19. Saxi

Saxi

I will go through them and see, but I know on the Webinar ones, the at 720p they are very blurry so I open them in YouTube and push them to 1080p and it is a huge difference.

20. StarManta

StarManta

Does Magic Leap actually do anything, or do they just talk about doing stuff? "Imagine this street, but we turn it into the Death Star trench..."

21. zendorf

zendorf

Some amazing talks on there, now I just need to find the time to watch them all!

22. schmosef

schmosef

All it does now is amaze and confound!

Basically, we've been told that we have to take Graeme Devine's word for it. If you were at Unite he said you could sign an NDA and get a little more info at their private event.

The theme of the presentation was on what Magic Leap could do. He said that at the next Unite (not sure if he meant Brazil or Australia) they would have a presentation with more info on how it works (i.e., the technical details).

If it can really do what they say (and it's bending my mind to believe that it's even possible) then it will kill all other VR tech overnight. The gaming industry will never be the same either.

23. lightassassin

lightassassin

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  24. jmatthews

jmatthews

Awesome line up. Now I just need 20 hours of free time.

25. schmosef

schmosef

Ok, I read it.

The article starts off explaining why all past VR tech has failed and why Oculus has to solve this problem to be commercially successful:

Inevitably, though, many users endure “simulator sickness” and other kinds of discomfort, like headaches and fatigue. Some of it stems from a disorienting lag between the rapid turn of one’s head and the time it takes for the computer to catch up and generate a new set of images to reflect the changing scenery.

Oculus Rift, the crowdfunded start-up acquired by Facebook for $2 billion in March, has been trying to correct this motion sickness. But it is a steep challenge.​

The article says that Magic Leap has solved this problem:

Unlike a conventional digital stereo image, which comes from projecting two slightly displaced images with different colors and brightness, Magic Leap says its digital light field encodes more information about a scene to help the brain make sense of what it is looking at, including the scattering of light beams and the distance of objects.

Magic Leap and other researchers in the field say that digital light fields will circumvent visual and neurological problems by providing viewers with depth cues similar to the ones generated by natural objects. That will make it possible to wear augmented-reality viewers for extended periods without discomfort, they say.​

But that just sounds like they've improved the graphics, which isn't the issue causing simulator sickness. It doesn't say anything about how they've solved the motion tracking problem.

26. KellyThomas

KellyThomas

27. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning