Search Unity

Unite 2010 is upon us!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by David-Helgason, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

How can dynamic batching can be "back" in 3.1, if it was never removed? Dynamic batching works in 3.0. In 3.1 we fixed a couple of bugs in batching.

2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

3. niosop2

niosop2

I was hoping for the Allegorithmic integration, more exposed Beast features and better shadows myself, but Unity is still my favorite platform and has plenty to work with. I know all the stuff I want (and lots of things that I don't even know I want yet) will be added when they are ready so I'm not worried about it.

4. bibbinator

bibbinator

I was hoping for word on the sprite functionality that got cut in 3.0 was done for 3.1.

Does anybody know what the status of the sprite features are? Anybody at Unite that can ask somebody?

5. crafTDev

crafTDev

Whoops!

Clarification: Dynamic batching for skinned objects is what I hoped to be in...

So is there any plans at all to show the Unity 3 iPhone demo used at GDC?

6. jashan

jashan

Thank you for putting up the videos, just watching David's keynote right now and that's pretty cool.

But please, next time, really make sure the live-stream doesn't break down (even though I'm pretty sure I will be personally at the next Unite again). It's not like video live-streams are something totally esoteric anymore, where you're on the bleeding edge of technology, or is it? One thing that was super-annoying was that there was some JavaScript error on the page that popped up every frame once I finally got the stream working (in Firefox with Firebug activated). When I disabled Firebug, the video froze completely (at least audio still worked) ... that's really the kind of thing that just shouldn't happen. It went smooth when I finally got the video working on Safari about 10 minutes later probably because there was no debugger active in Safari.

Anyways, I think having that live-stream and putting the keynote video up real quick was a great idea!

7. jasenj1

jasenj1

I'm watching the keynote now. The thing that I'm getting mostly is the amazement at Unity's success. David appears to be legitimately overwhelmed by how fast Unity has grown, the adoption rate, and such. I have to believe that internally they are struggling with scaling up to support this explosively growing community. I get that feeling from the technical glitches during the keynote and the web streaming. It's like, "Oh, we're not just a garage/basement start up anymore. We're a 'real' company now."

The asset store looks cool. It appears to be a big piece of work, and while people are complaining/mentioning features missing from the Unity engine, the Asset Store is an equal if not bigger piece of work. XBox 360 PS3 support is huge and I'm sure requires feature freezing of the Unity core for longer than some would like.

I'm just a hobbyist (I write web apps for my real job), but I'm very excited to see the vibrancy and growth of Unity. The thought that pops into my mind after seeing this is, "Who's going to acquire Unity Technologies?" Is UT ripe for being gobbled up by some big company?

- Jasen.

8. zumwalt

zumwalt

Thanks for that link, hey it is using Google Docs!
    I will submit some stuff this weekend :)
    You need to put that link somewhere on the site pages.

9. RobbieDingo

RobbieDingo

Quote (antenna tree):
    http://vimeo.com/16710196 and http://vimeo.com/16710926.
    Should also be on our homepage shortly.

The second link takes me to the Vimeo page for Part B of the keynote, but there is no play button on the video there? The first one is fine. Trying to watch on my iPhone over wifi, anyone else getting this problem? I really wanna watch partB, but can't!?

What's going on with the Vimeo player?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  10. Ullukai

Ullukai

im watching part B now with no problems and im using my laptop ..maybe someone with an iphone can say if it works for them ?

edit** after watching it, Jesse had a very interesting prediction about the future of video games
    forgot to say thanks unity for letting us see it ... i couldn't go and see it because i bought my unity3d.ca website in time for this event which put me in the minuses with my bank :( but i figured this was the best time to start a new website involving unity ..maybe i was wrong ? i dunno, but i won't regret it and i fixed the minuses with my bank already ... thanks again unity !

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  11. IPete

IPete

Just a quick thanks to the Unity team for getting the keynote and Jesse's video online so quick - I really really enjoyed both. Thanks for making the video available so quickly - it was great to see it all while you guys are still there in Montreal -

Many thanks again - go Unity!

12. jashan

jashan

I don't think UT ever was and I hope it never will be about selling a company. It's about creating and selling a game engine. So, I think the question isn't "Who's going to acquire Unity Technologies?" but "Is Unity Technologies for sale?" ... and I'm pretty sure the answer is: "No. Unity is for sale, Unity Technologies is not".

13. kabab

kabab

Ask the venture capitalists who help fund the company :D

14. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

FYI, Sequoia (VC who invested in Unity) own a minority share. We very much in control of Unity's direction ourselves.

15. zumwalt

zumwalt

If UT sells, it will be like the old song about the day the music dies, bye bye miss American pie, maybe we would fall back to the stone ages of Simon and Garfunkle's "i am a rock, I am an island" or off the cliff with Pink Floyd's "Another brick in the wall", the day that my favorite 3d Designer sold out to Microshaft was a sad day in deed, TrueSpace was top notch and died a horrible undeserving death.

16. Thelo

Thelo

Just curious, when can we expect to see the Unite presentations' videos on unity3d.com?

17. horsman

horsman

Judging by previous years, within 12 months. Maybe they will be quicker this year though.

18. zweihander111

zweihander111

I myself happen to be one of those thousands of people that recently found out about unity. And honestly I'm amazed by the tool.
    I'm not exactly sure how it became so popular in such a little time but odds are it will continue growing.
    Now that google chrome will probably support unity natively, do any of you think unity could replace flash as enhanced multimedia web-browsing?
    That could change the way websites are built.

19. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Any ETA on when the Unite Presentations will be up?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  20. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

What he said ++