Search Unity

Unite 2010 is upon us!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by David-Helgason, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Flynn

Flynn

@Dele, looks like. : /

Here is the error I am getting:

Connection failed: Application rejected connection.

And I was really getting into that speech, despite the lost half hour!

2. QFS

QFS

I was hoping to hear more about Unity itself, the road map, what they are planning to do in the future (and less other stuff such as robotics, facial animations, etc).

3. mohydineName

mohydineName

Yeah me too

4. Flynn

Flynn

Chrome now works.

5. maikkel

maikkel

i just hope they put up the complete video soon...

6. Dan Fury

Dan Fury

I think hearing about the 10 most important technologies in the future of games is even better, the readme of 3.1 wasn't that interesting, but the talk was.

7. mariobyb

mariobyb

I just saw 1/2 hour of stream. Interesting lecture! He was in the middle of talking about the AI, the touring test and other stuff, when the connection got lost. Now Im only getting connection rejected error :(

8. Ullukai

Ullukai

at least we broke the record for most users online today about 24 minutes ago with 615 users !!

9. cDixRun

cDixRun

if possible I would also love to see a recorded version of the entire keynote. Thank you UT in advance.

10. malnar1996

malnar1996

If there is any Unity employee reading this, please give an idea to someone in the company to put the whole video on the unity website so everybody can watch it some other time. Live stream sucks...

11. Flynn

Flynn

Aaaand, server back down. :(

12. jashan

jashan

Hm ... "Application rejected connection" - does that really mean they've cut the keynote off in the middle after it finally worked after about 40 or so minutes? Is anybody still watching? ... well, probably people that are successfully watching aren't following this thread because they're busy watching ;-)

So I spent about one hour for watching 20 minutes. Grmbl grmbl.

13. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

I hope they put a clear recording of this up. While I like the idea of streaming the lecture, it's a little frustrating to watch due to the technical issues (poor audio, dropping out, etc.). I'm glad they tried it, but I do hope to see a better recording posted.

14. Zephadias

Zephadias

The video would never play for me at all. Hopefully they post the video soon since I have been trying for an hour to watch it and I have seen none of it. Not a productive morning at all. :(

15. hgbimonti

hgbimonti

Server not found when trying to watch the live stream... :(

That's sad... all the game team was in front of a TV watching it.

But... next time it would be better to get a plane and go see it live.

Thanks for trying, guys.

16. jashan

jashan

It's been suggested before but really, the way to do this kind of thing is start early (at least 15 minutes, better 30 minutes) and have plenty of room at the end as well. Still not sure if this got cut off due to the time or if it's just another technical problem but this really was a rather frustrating experience.

Also, a good idea is to have users register in advance and certainly not to put it right on the front page because every user who's just "accidentally" browsing the Unity Website (and that's likely quite a few) will consume one "slot" of the live-stream which makes one more user who really wants to watch the stream miss the chance.

Well, I guess I'll have a look at Unity 3.1 now to get over it (at least there's one really good thing about not being at Unite - here, I can work, there, I couldn't ;-) ) ...

17. jasenj1

jasenj1

Jesse Schell just finished.

And tech problems showing the final slide - URL to get 3.1.

18. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

Yeah, I probably only caught about 75% of the keynote. I'll have to watch it again when they post the video to see what I missed. There were a couple of interesting technologies being demonstrated just when the stream was cutting out. 'doh

19. TheLorax

TheLorax

So the Asset Store was the big announcement, that and the Union publishing thing? I missed all of David's talk.

Thanks

TheLorax

20. lion-gv

lion-gv

don't worry, the keynote will be uploaded for all to enjoy!

21. VeganApps

VeganApps

I also watched only 20 minutes.. and no keynotes at all. :(

But I am excited to see the video soon and hear about the Asset Store.. :D

--Eh.. btw. Why did Unity Tech. use Flash for this stream ? --Sure it didn´t work.. with the Unity webplayer it would have worked.. :p

22. Vectrex

Vectrex

It really should have been called 3.0.1 if it's just some bug fixes. I won't be getting as excited for 3.2

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I can imagine that for $400 its a bit of a let down in all honesty.

24. jashan

jashan

What are you paying $400 for?

25. Londy

Londy

I missed the video :(

26. kenlem

kenlem

Looks like the Qaulcom AR plugin is on the Content Store is only for Android. booo.....

27. Dreamora

Dreamora

Sure its only for Android, as qualcomm is only android (I'm sure Galaxy S users will be pissed too :))
    The kit does not work on other platforms at all ...

28. azeitler

azeitler

The Asset Store constantly kills Unity (crash and Bug Reporter is shown).

After all the fuzz that was created I expected some majore announcement (like Mac App Store support or Windows Phone 7 Support). This was quite a let down.

29. outtoplay

outtoplay

a very 'autodesk' style update indeed. But bug fixes are always welcome.

30. lion-gv

lion-gv

Asset store is a huge feature, it's like... going to change the way we make games in Unity.

And, that would have been a full version if it were Autodesk, not a point release. I had hoped that the procedural texture support would have made it in.

31. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

The procedural texture support was announced for END OF 2011 , so thats not now yet.

32. Dreamora

Dreamora

I just rechecked all sources and aside of the game developer page one, none includes any timescale

33. Moonjump

Moonjump

You think people are going to stop sharing code in the forums because they think they can make money instead on the Asset Store? That's would be unfortunate for the Unity community.

34. Dreamora

Dreamora

Don't think so.
    I think people are going to use the store to share closed systems independent of price or not price, just cause it is a straight to face sharing option that all have.

boards / page were always troublesome to make people remember their existance etc

also keep in mind that UT decides if something goes there or not, so instable broken bs won't go there ;)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  35. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

No; the Asset Store is for complete products rather than code samples. If you mean things like iTween, there's no reason that wouldn't be free on the Asset Store as well, if the author feels like it. It's certainly more convenient that having to stumble across things by accident.

--Eric

36. cDixRun

cDixRun

I agree, I hope it will be used more for complex prefabs and art assets, but I guess time will tell.

37. PedroGV

PedroGV

I've heard somewhere that dll are now supported even for scripts, so my questions is: does this mean that namespaces are now supported for scripts in the main project?

38. Abrin

Abrin

Anyone have any idea when we'll be seeing a link to the keynote? I've love to see it.

39. giyomu

giyomu

hehe a bit frustrated with what in this update engine side ^^ , by the way the asset store is not a bad idea , as dreamora say , it can be a good way to have things under a same roof and directly within unity.

40. mindlube

mindlube

@PulsarCoder, maybe just try namespace on a script? Should take about 1 minute to test out.

41. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

As soon as I hear back from my entry I hope to get iTween up on the Asset Store!

42. Tempest

Tempest

I hope to be releasing free scripts through the store because it'll be a more reliable, more easily accessible method than the forum or my own site.

43. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No paypal donations there but if you put it up at the cheapest price I think its probably gonna be cool for most people.

44. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You can have a link in the store directly to your own site.

--Eric

45. PedroGV

PedroGV

@mindlube I did, and didn't work for me, so I'd love to get a formal confirmation on this to stop thinking "maybe I need to reinstall 3.1", specially if dlls with scripts can now be imported.

46. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

47. crafTDev

crafTDev

Argh, I was hoping for dynamic batching to be back in with a .1 update...plus I still dont see a Unity 3 iPhone demo up, not even on the asset store...like the one I was hoping to see that was shown at GDC...

48. zumwalt

zumwalt

Unfortunately I am not at Unite, so I want to read more on this asset store thing, I mean, can it take my unity package demo projects for database use as an example?

49. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Anything that can be made into a Unity Package can be put onto the Asset Store.

50. zumwalt

zumwalt

sign me up then!