Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unite 2008

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Jul 15, 2008.

1. robert

robert

Are we there yet? C'mon guys!

2. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

Will the videos be made available or not?

3. DGuy

DGuy

Maybe, the release of the videos will coincide with a site update/overhaul, new tutorials, new resources and the actual release of version 2.5. Then, new users stopping by the site will be greeted by an orgy of new content for them to peruse, and Unity will make an even more positive first impression.

Just a thought ...

4. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

That may be true DGuy... sounds like a good plan to me. Regardless, I'll just wait patiently for the videos... I think the longer I wait the more excited I am to see them. But, can't wait to see them guys. Thanks :)

5. blacksp1der

blacksp1der

haha, don't expect too much. they should take care of the current customers. I'm waiting to watch what they say about development on iphone, now I think the videos are useless, because you can find more information and support in the forum community. supposedly in these videos Unity 2.5 was showed,
    that would have been good to see before the Unity 2.5 release. :x

6. DGuy

DGuy

:?

My post wasn't one of wide-eyed, naivety, but rather an attempt to give food for thought as to why things might be taking longer than some would like.

As far as anything else, <shrug>, only time will tell ...

7. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

Can Unite 2009 be on the East Coast U.S.? And can you bring the 2008 videos with you?

8. ChromeFly

ChromeFly

Lol! Hear! hear! on both counts. ;)

9. Merries

Merries

I agree come to Philadelphia, have it in the King of Prussia, Valley Forge Convention Center in PA.

10. nickavv

nickavv

This. ;) I know a good three guys from here on the east coast, and Dingo and ChromeFly and I makes 7. Let's do it!

11. amirebrahimi

amirebrahimi

"New york, new york
    I want to wake up in a city, that never sleeps..."

12. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I'd love for it to be in NYC too, but I think the expense of having it there can't be justified quite yet... even more expensive would be my real pie in the sky vote for Unite '09, Tokyo :wink:

Ethan

13. ChromeFly

ChromeFly

Columbus, Ohio has a nice big airport, and I assure you it's less expensive than NYC! ;) Or... Unite '09 Boston, or Atlanta, or...

14. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

Ethan, I'm down for Tokyo any day. Where do I vote?

15. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Tokyo FTW! :)

16. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

There's a secret ballot box here in the office. Maybe you can send in an absentee ballot... and remember, the "+/- infinity" rule applies here too so make sure to vote more than once ;)

Tokyo FTW :!:
    Ethan

17. Socapex_2K

Socapex_2K

Still no vids... :(

18. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

It was dusk and I had been hiking all day. I shouldn't have gone alone, but I just needed the solitude of the woods.

I actually heard it first, just a little rustling. I turned around and looked down the trail. It was really hard to make out, but I could tell it was big. It was hard to see detail, mostly like looking at a dark shadow in the shape of a man. It was hunched over and appeared to be clawing at something in the ground.

I guess I was nervous because I dropped my walking stick. When my stick hit the ground, it turned and looked at me with glowing greyish eyes. That's when my curiosity left me. It arched back and let out a screeching sound, similar to that sound your television makes when fall asleep watchin and the station stops broadcasting...boooooooooooop!

With a quick lunge it started coming towards me down the trail. I was petrified, I couldn't get my legs to move. It moved closer and closer to me with each lunge, with more of that horrible sound...boooooooooop!....booooooooooop!

Finally the Good Lord gave me the strength to move, but my fear had removed all my coordination. I stumbled backwards and fell hard. I grunted as I hit the back of my head on the ground. As I looked up, it was already standing over top of me. It leaned down with its glowing static filled eyes inches from my face. I had never been gripped with such pure terror, but all I kept thinking was; where is it's mouth. It pressed heavily on my chest with what I would call dark shadowy paws. I screamed. I must've startled it, because as I screamed, that horrible sound began again booooooooooooooooooooop!

I didn't know what to do so I started kicking. Somehow I must have hit a tender spot, because it reeled back off of me. I rolled over onto my stomach to push myself up off the ground. But it grabbed my back pant leg. I started kicking but it had my leg. I knew it was now or never. I gave one good kick and it felt like I was free. So I took off running like an olympic sprinter. It wasn't until I got to the ranger station that I realized I was butt naked from the waist down, it had tore my pants clean off.

There's a lot of people that will say I'm crazy. But others have had similar experiences like me. There's always skeptics, that will say "they don't exist". That they are just a "product of your imagination". But they do exist! I'll never forget that encounter.
    Those Vids are real!

19. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

HAH! Awesome! :D

20. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

LOL!

I can promise you that the videos are being treated right now. I've seen the full folder of edited copies that are only awaiting loading screens before we can post them to our site. They do exist and shall see the light of day!

21. jashan

jashan

Wow, I always knew the Unity guys (and gals) were great heros but now it's official.

THEY ARE TAMING THE VIDS!!!

OMG, this is so incredible! We witness their mastery from the distance. Once they have successfully done this incredibly dangerous job, we will get to play with the tamed vids on their Website - from a safe distance.

Kudos, and I bow before you - UT FTW!!!

And take your time, we don't want you to get hurt. After all, we all know you're up for another incredibly dangerous mission: TAMING WINDOWS! ... and we can all understand how much strength you need for that beast!

8)

22. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

:) :)

23. Matroblend

Matroblend

Videos what videos :roll: :roll: :roll:

24. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

booooooooooooooooooooop!:)

25. tintin

tintin

Any update about the Video?

26. Mathieu

Mathieu

nothing

27. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

That's obviously fake. :roll:

kidding. :D

28. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Yeah. Joachim is obviously rendered there. And don't even get me started on ReJ, he looks totally photoshopped!

29. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

No, because others have now seen this. Seriously, that was a bit of a jerk move, why would you do that? "Oh, let me share something I got off of a private location, post it in public and then try to back out by saying 'oh sorry, delete it if you want'"... :roll:

30. Mathieu

Mathieu

I don't post link or any hint on how to get them.
    The location don't seem so private as I found links to it from a public place.

31. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Yes, but you clearly know that you're sniffing it from a not-so-public space and you know that you're pre-empting a nice announcement we were hoping to make soon. Your own sense of guilt is clear in your post, if you didn't feel there was anything wrong with what you wrote then you wouldn't have offered the chance to delete your post.

So you knew you were doing something less than fully appropriate yet posted anyway, hence my comment.

32. Mathieu

Mathieu

Come on Tom, we are hundreds waiting for thoses videos since months, you can't be surprise that someone who had found them was a little bit too exited about it. Yes that kind of childish, but is it THAT bad?

It's just a screenshot from something that was already announced something like 4 months back (and each couple of weeks since).
    Again, I posted no link and no information about the content of the videos.

I'm sorry for the troubles Tom.

Please check your PM.

33. carlj

carlj

It's actually 4 months and 10 days but who's counting? :D

34. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

You admit it was kind of childish so why are you surprised that I'm not happy about it? </conversation>

35. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

36. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Beeep? :)

The videos are all staged, presentation slides have been gathered and if all goes well a site update will be pushed during the first part of next week as part of a pre-GDC effort. Don't hang me if there are delays but at least now I'm quite serious that they're in the queue to be pushed live. :)

37. parnell

parnell

Yes yes yes!
    I can't wait! Pre-GDC announcements next week! I'm picking up my Macbook next week as well!!:)
    I can't wait to bug you guys at your booth. muhahahahaha!
    B

38. tintin

tintin

Cool! Can't wait to watch these videos while waiting for the 2.5 release. So the first part of this week means before Thursday?

39. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

40. ChromeFly

ChromeFly

Wooo! Thanks. :D

41. Andrej-Vojtas

Andrej-Vojtas

Cool! Thank you HiggyB! The wait is over ;)

42. yangmeng

yangmeng

Let the good times roll! Or something like that.

43. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

44. Jessy

Jessy

I'm happy to finally see these! However, I'm wondering, do we not get to see the Phil Harrison speech?

45. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Not yet. That's an unfortunately long and winding tale about getting his explicit approval, or rather not yet getting that approval in order to post his section of the keynote. We're continuing to push for that approval but didn't want that to hold up the other videos.

46. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

We taped the Phil Harrison speech but oddly enough he didn't show up on the video recording... some sort of vampire magic?

(Atari has lawyers... lawyers like to make everything difficult)

I might get sued for even saying this... Tom, delete this post haste ;)

47. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Too late, Atari goons in black suits have been dispatched to your location.

RUN!

:)

48. Jessy

Jessy

Highlight of all this so far:

1) What happened

yo thang broke

2) How can we reproduce it using the example you attached.

that's what she said!