Search Unity

Unite 2008

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Lucas Meijer_old

Lucas Meijer_old

2. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

more like:

3. jashan

jashan

:D

Cool - male prefabs incarnated in flesh ...

Now where's Superwoman?

4. blikstad

blikstad

Got my tickets, flight and hotel (will be at the savoy too) so see ya all there!

5. ugur

ugur

Woot, i´ll be there, too :)
    After some fights with myself regarding whether i could go with lots of other things i have to do, i couldn´t resist anymore and got a ticket :)
    Now i have to book the hotel, flight and push other things on my schedule around ;)

6. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Hey folks, sorry about the delays but we've started posting additional information, specifically some starting info about the Agenda and presentations that will be delivered. Have a look:

Unite 2008: Agenda

There are more sessions on the way but we felt it wise to get the information we have available out there, more updates are on the way. We will soon be posting some travel information as well as additional session information so stay tuned!

7. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Woo. Really looking forward to the talk on iPhone development :)

8. MatthewW

MatthewW

Just purchased our travel arrangements. All six of us will be there, staying at the Savoy. Looking forward to it!

9. Ryuuguu

Ryuuguu

1 more for the hotel Savoy.

10. nickavv

nickavv

Oh, were I older. And had a job. So I could pay for airfare/hotel/expenses. Then I would join you folks. At Unite.

Someday... :)

11. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Any idea of when the details for signing up for open mic will be posted and when the deadline for signing up is?

Possibly I'd like to demo a beta of my current project one of the days, but its just a though and I'd like to know how much time I have to consider it.

12. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

It's not likely that you'll see a sign-up form for that for another week or two. The open mic time slots will be roughly 10-20 minutes each depending on how many people sign up. We'd obviously like to have each person get "enough time" to deliver something interesting, but also leave room for as many open mic presenters as possible. So at this point you have a week or two to decided if you'll be up for that.

Updates
    The Unite Agenda page has been updated to describe some additional sessions, have a look:

Unite 2008: Agenda

There will be yet another Agenda page update by the end of the week as well so keep an eye out for the exciting sessions we'll be having. Additionally you'll find that we've posted a Unite Travel page to help offer some tips and advice on getting to/from/around Copenhagen as well as some hotel tips (including two hotels at which we've arranged discounted rates):

Unite 2008: Travel

Be there or be square! :D

13. Ricko

Ricko

Okay, you hooked me with that agenda. Just finished making travel and lodging arrangements. I’ll see you guys there!

Ricko

14. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

And there is still more on the way! Check again tomorrow. 8)

15. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

Excellent -- airfare and hotel booked. Staying at the Savoy.

Actually, I managed to get the airfare down by flying in and out on the weekends, which means a couple extra days in Copenhagen before and after (quite a shame, really :wink: ) . I would be interested in meeting local developers before the big show.

16. Thomas-Lund

Thomas-Lund

Cool stuff Charles. Would love to shake your hand when you are here.

17. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

I'm gonna be the guy running around with a confused look on his face, scribbling notes all the time.

18. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Due to some server config issues the latest update got a bit delayed - but finally, we've been able to push out another round of talk updates to the agenda page.

Check it out:
    www.unity3d.com/unite/agenda

19. Scrat

Scrat

I wish I could go. Last year's presentations were incredibly cool (only watched them online) and this year's presentation look even cooler! Too bad I don't have the money to come :oops:

I'm really looking forward to watching as most as possible online!

20. Ricko

Ricko

What is the camera policy for Unite? I know you guys will probably publish videos some time later after the conference.

My memory isn’t what it used to be, and there are many diverse topics being covered, so can I bring a small video camera to capture details in presentations that I might not catch in my notes?

Just to clarify I’m not publishing anything, just looking for a good reference during the time between the conference and whenever you get official videos online. Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Ricko

21. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

In general I don't think we'll mind that sort of thing but we do intend to record all sessions so I think you will be duplicating our efforts, although in a way that gives you immediate access after the conference. Please do this only for your own usage, don't share or post those and instead leave that sort of thing to us.

22. blockimperium

blockimperium

HiggyB,

Not to hate on Denmark or anything but I assume that such a venue was chosen due to the developer community being colocated nearer that location based on some statistics? Are most of the users of Unity European at this point?

I would LOVE to go to Unite 2008 (missed 2007 due to biz travel), but for the price I could license another copy of pro :)

23. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It was in San Francisco last year...they're just trying to be fair.

--Eric

24. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Last year (first Unite conference) was in San Francisco, as indeed about half of our customers are from the states. However, almost half (around 40%, IIRC) are from EU, so doing it in Europe this year made sense.

25. dacloo

dacloo

But Aras, that doesn't make sense!

San Francisco has palm trees, babes and Chinatown.
    Who cares where everyone is based?

:p

26. Ryuuguu

Ryuuguu

So does that mean we'll have wait 5 to 10 years for the 10% out in Asia to get our Unite :)
    We have palm trees, babes and China

27. Lucas Meijer_old

Lucas Meijer_old

It was cheaper to fly those into denmark.

28. taumel

taumel

Someone told me that it's a political decision. If you vote for Obama, it might be in america again, if not, it stays in the more reasonable part of the world, your decision. :O9

29. Yann

Yann

After all, we all build virtual worlds - so why not use them a bit ? telepresence... :)

30. jeremyace

jeremyace

Haha, nice one. Canada would nice too btw, our government is just as screwed up as the rest of the world, but not as screwed up as the US. At least for now... ;-)

-Jeremy

31. MatthewW

MatthewW

32. Yann

Yann

Exactly... or tools ala multi-user iChat, in an extended version that would mimic the Truespace virtual world (aka "Trueplace") and would rely on Unity and a video plugin, for example :)

A few weeks ago, I had an iChat session with a co-worker who is on Reunion island, 10 000 km from where I llive. From 9 AM to 6 PM ! After a few minutes, we had almost forgotten the physical distance - and truely, this has been one of my most productive working days - not to mention that it was very funny, too. We were in a hurry, had to build together a communication plan for one of his clients, so we even "had lunch" together, despite of the 2 hours local time difference. This would be even funnier with 6 or 12 hours... ;-)

33. taumel

taumel

@Jeremy Ace
    We've deselected ours last weekend, curious to see what comes next.

34. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

The conference will continue to move through various locations so we spread the travel burden around a bit. Where will the 2009 event be held? We don't know yet outside of the fact that it's very likely that it will be somewhere in North America. Let's focus on Unite 2008 for now...

As to recording and live tele-presence, we'll see about that. There is some value to offer those that paid to attend in providing them "early access" to the information. Those that don't pay/attend should be able to tolerate waiting a bit for that (free) information. :p

Either way I'll be looking into things like ustream.tv and whatnot.

35. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

What do you guys do for adapters for your laptop? The other time I was in Copenhagen I brought along the piece from my official Apple world travel adapter kit and I think it didn't fit the plugs by a couple of millimeters. I ended up borrowing a cord from Nicholas, but I don't really want to rely on that this time. :)

Do you folks think this one will work? I'm not sure what the ground prong will be doing.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-Adapter-Black/dp/B000SKWPPU

-Jon

36. mindlube

mindlube

I think it's a really cool idea to have a game conference at a planetarium. Hopefully you will have full access to multiple projectors onto the dome, and a boomin' sound system. Wish I could attend
    :cry:

37. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Jonathan:

These are the cables I use for my mbp:

http://eej.dk/dropbox/computers/Cables.png

They fit my iBook and iPod power supplies as well. You can purchase these from the Danish apple resellers and one just happens to be very nearby the Planetarium. The first one is grounded and has about 2 meters of cable whereas the other is just handy.

38. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I'm just confirming my plans (late, I know, but I've been training the new staffer), and the Savoy (which seemed to be the hotel of choice in this thread) is booked up.

Has anyone else found hotels close by that they liked?

39. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Cool. Purchasing it from an Apple reseller there sounds the easiest and nicest. Could anyone point me to where it is and what it's called? My googling isn't being fruitful.

Thanks,
    -Jon

40. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

http://www.firsthotels.com/Vesterbro

That's where we'll be staying, it was 6342 donkey kong koins for a week stay. (cheap rim shot)

41. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Thanks for the tip the link!

I'd looked them up on Hotels.com, and tho't they were a bit pricey, but thanks to you, I discovered their anniversary price was cheaper direct from them.

Booked!

Thanks again.

42. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Primary reseller:
    http://www.humac.dk/

Shops:
    http://www.humac.dk/kontakt/butikker-og-aabningstider/

43. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

This conference is going to be great! Phil Harrison confirmed for the keynote speech :D Can`t wait!

44. 1stAnd10

1stAnd10

The Gamasutra news post today mentioned that Unity for Windows will be unveiled @ Unite 2008. Is that accurate?

I had been away from the forums for a month so if it had already been announced it was news to me! :)

45. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

FYI, the gamasutra news article says "announce", which could have a different connotation than "unveil".

46. 1stAnd10

1stAnd10

Very true. 8)

47. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

Still, wow... right? Even if it's just an announcement of it coming, it's earlier than I expected!

Brace yourselves, eh?

48. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

It's an announcement folks, everyone will have to wait for the keynote to see what the announcement entails. Oh, and Phil Harrison! w00t! :)

49. Scrat

Scrat

Phil Harrison?! Now that's very impressive :eek:

Better buy Unity Pro before AAA studios realize how awesome Unity is and the Pro license becomes as expensive as the Unreal Engine 3 ;)

Great job!

50. 1stAnd10

1stAnd10

I would hope that the Unity folk would keep Unity Pro at the same price and create another SKU for bigger shops that can afford UT3 type prices. :)