Search Unity

Unite 2008

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Jul 15, 2008.

1. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Unite 2008
    October 22-24, 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    http://unity3d.com/unite/

Both Unity and the Unity Community are growing faster than ever and it's time to invite everyone to our second Unity developer conference, Unite 2008. Once again the conference will be a three day technical event offering attendees a chance to learn more about Unity and the Unity Web Player and network with fellow members of the Unity community. Developers, educators, artists or anyone else interested in using Unity to develop top-quality games and entertainment content are invited to attend.

The conference will be held on October 22-24, 2008 at the Tycho Brahe Planetarium in Copenhagen, Denmark. Here is a brief overview of the conference agenda:

* Keynote and road map presentations
    * 9 1-hour technical sessions on a variety of topics
    * 5 hours of hands-on lab time
    * Lots of time to get social and have fun!

Technical Sessions
    There will be a total of nine one-hour technical sessions offered and they will each cover a unique topic that relates to using Unity to author and deploy great content. This year's conference will feature presenters from Unity Technologies and Unity Studios as well as from the Unity developer community.

Hands-On Lab
    At the end of each day of the conference there will be time for hands-on lab. During this time attendees can work one-on-one with Unity staff to help answer outstanding questions or work through project-specific problems. There will be a number of work stations available so bring your laptop, your project files or just a head full of questions as this will be your chance to sit down with the experts to get help and advice so don't miss out.

Get Social
    Along with the daily agenda of presentations, technical sessions and lab time we will host another Unity Mingle event during the conference. Everyone is invited to join us for an evening of networking, talking shop and making friends.

Registration
    Registration is now open, and if you register before August 25, 2008 you can save 25% off the cost of your conference pass. Conference registration includes access to all presentations and events so register online (https://store.unity3d.com/shop/unite) today and we'll see you in October for Unite 2008!

I hope to see you this October! :D

Note: make sure to read the other announcement thread, The 2008 Unity Awards, as the two events are closely related!

2. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

Great looking venue. Very exciting.

3. jashan

jashan

Yes!!!

Registered 8)

This is really a great date for the conference - one day later, and I couldn't have participated, but this way it works. Looking forward to seein' everyone!

4. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

And you're officially the first Unite 2008 ticket holder. :)

5. drJones

drJones

probably won't make this one as its too far but so cool UT is hosting another so soon. will be much less travel wear tear on you guys i'm sure (except for you higgy : )

sweet news!

NYC next year???

; )

6. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Let's get through Unite 2008 before we worry about 2009. :)

And for reference, I don't mind the travel as it's now a well worn route for me anyway. I <3 Copenhagen!

7. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

Wowzer! Great news indeed :)
    Copenhagen is such a wonderful city, with cycling scandinavian chicks everywhere, so count me in!

8. MatthewW

MatthewW

Some configuration of us will be there. Maybe all...?

9. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

To throw out a quick travel question for those of us coming across the Atlantic -- I know that flights vary a lot based on destination city and that when visiting friends in Cologne, they have had us fly into either Amsterdam or Brussels and take a train (for pretty massive cost savings). Are there other cities with major airports near enough to Copenhagen that it would be worth checking airfare there and looking at a train ticket or renting a car?

I thought I would ask those who are more familiar with the area before systematically checking airfare and land travel options to Copenhagen for every city in Europe :wink:

10. Whimsical

Whimsical

The building kind of reminds me of the SF MoMa... *hehe*

It's a pity that Unite is not in SF again. I kinda am in SF at that time, I hope...

11. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Why how would you ever come to that conclusion? :p

For those that don't get it: look at this as it's a photo of the SF MOMA.

We want to move it about to share the travel burden evenly (or as much as possible) and so San Francisco wasn't really a candidate for this year's event. For those that can go it will be another great event and Copenhagen is a fantastic city that I'm sure you'll enjoy.

12. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Unite in Europe! Woot!

13. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Sweet! We'll be the Power Rangers!

Copenhagen is indeed nice. :)

-Jon

14. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Yo!!! Unite in CPH and I'll be there!

@Charles: Lots of danish people fly from Hamburg because it's mostly cheaper than from denmark. Might want to checkout if flights to Hamburg are cheaper as from here a train drives directly to CPH if I recall right. From here it's roughly a 4 hours drive by car to CPH.

Edit: Ohh, just saw it's very close to Tivoli, so super central in downtown CPH. Way cool! Nice hotels around, like the "27".

Martin

15. Doleman

Doleman

I'm soooo there :D
    My first Unite!

Singing out loud with my lovely voice: "I'm so excited...!!"

16. coolman

coolman

Perhaps this year is too quick for me. I'm just jumping into Unity.

But I expect to be next year. (I hope again in Copenhage :)

17. kinl

kinl

Count me in :)

18. proparjak

proparjak

Great ! we will be present !

19. Thomas-Lund

Thomas-Lund

I'll most definitely be there too - good call on Copenhagen ;-)

Not as exotic as Mauritius, but it will do for closeness to home

20. Matt_RKLS

Matt_RKLS

Looking into travel plans for this now. Anyone else from Dallas/SW U.S. planning on attending?

21. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Very nice. Looking forward to this. One question though: How much material is being made available afterwards? Keynote and technical session recordings and slides? How about the hands-on lab thingymajig? Is that private or will those q a's be recorded and released as well?

Just wondering how many pencils I should bring :wink:

22. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Much like last year we plan on recording the presentation sessions and posting them, and the presentation materials, to our website following the conference. We're also looking at providing attendees with CDs on arrival that contain the presentation materials ahead of time so you can look at/read those while in the sessions.

Those are handled one-on-one with many going on simultaneously and as such they will not be recorded nor shared (by us) in any way. If attendees feel like it would be helpful to post their questions and the answers we provide then that's up to them to handle.

23. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I'll most likely be there too.

24. joshmorris3d

joshmorris3d

AWESOME!

I'm sooo there. Registered last week.

Any suggestions on good (and affordable) hotels close by?

Josh

P.S.

Wireframes on Terrains with Unity 2.1!

Yee Haaww!!

25. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

As mentioned above we'll be posting some travel suggestions soon enough. To get you started:

Low-Cost: DanHostel in Copenhagen
    It's a hostel but quite a nice one, and it's a reasonably short walk, or a _very_ easy bike ride away from the conference location.

Low-to-Mid-Cost: Norlandia Star
    A nice hotel right behind the central train station that's a 5-10 minute walk from the conference location.

Mid-to-High-Cost (look for online deals!): The Square Hotel
    A bit more expensive but really nice, look for online deals. I managed to book into here once through hotels.com for around $125 per night (way under normal price!). This is a touch closer to the conference venue than the Norlandia, call it a 5 minute walk.

Again though, we'll share more info on the website quite soon.

26. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

I just booked my hotel via hotels.com for the trip and will arrive at the 21st already. I took the Savoy Hotel which is only a few hundred meters away (> 250m) from the Unite conference (see google maps link). Hotel is marked, a bit above at the water the round thing is the Tycho Brahe Planetarium. Single room is 89 Euro per night incl. breakfast.

Will be big fun to meet you all in person then! :)

Martin

27. MentalFish

MentalFish

Savoy Hotel for me too :) The closest one I could find as well, and really cheap + breakfast. It's a safe bet.

Edit: At what time does the first day start? Need to know because of plane tickets.

28. podperson

podperson

Couldn't make it to San Francisco, no way I can make it to Copenhagen, much as I would love to. Oh well, maybe in 2010.

29. marty

marty

I'm planning to attend as well.

You gotta figure, this is going to be the iPhone Unite. And who wants to miss that? ;-)

30. IPete

IPete

Well,

I am a newcomer to world of Unity but I can tell you I am so excited to be coming to Unite 2008.

Studio Liddell is a medium sized 3D design and animation company based in Manchester, UK. We are currently looking at the Unity Pro license to develop our interactives and games with.

Looking forward to meeting everyone,

IPete2.

(Peter M. Caddock)
    www.studioliddell.com

31. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Will there be name-tags given out at the entrance? Everyone should have a huge sticker with their nickname - otherwise it'll take forever to find the people you've talked to at the forum and in the irc channel.

32. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

33. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Ahh, just booked my Unite ticket. Yay.

Question: Do we have wifi access there during the conf?

34. Michele

Michele

Very nice, we'll booking soon.
    Just some info, if you know:

At what time does the conference start on the 21st?
    At what time will the conference finish on the 24th?
    Is there someone else from Italy?

Thanks

35. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

The plan is to once again offer wireless access yes. :)

I'll be posting the agenda quite soon, but in general you should plan on being at the event space from roughly 9am to 3:30pm each day for the presentations and sessions. The hands-on lab sessions each day will go until 6pm on Wednesday and Thursday, and until 5pm on Friday. But again, stay tuned for a full and final schedule, including session topics/titles/speakers.

We haven't yet seen any ticket sales to folks in Italy, although we do have one guy coming all the way from Hong Kong it seems! :)

36. Marc

Marc

This might be a rather weird question but will ask it anyways.

Say i dont have a macbook pro :oops: will it be possible to safely setup an iMac for the duration of the conference for the sake of hands-on part, or will i have to turn my iMac into a laptop?

Regards,
    Marc

37. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

IIRC someone had their own iMac set up last year. Of course we will also have a handful of "public" computers set up for people to use so you could bring your projects in on a portable drive.

Ethan

38. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

While we intend for the location to be secure as we are leaving equipment there each night we will not take responsibility for attendee equipment left overnight or unattended during the day. As Ethan mentioned, we'll have computers available for use during the hands-on lab sessions, so bring any files you have on external media (flash drive, CD/DVD, etc.) if necessary.

39. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Man I really can't await to meet you all in person. Will be fantastic.

40. Marc

Marc

Ok cool, thanks!

41. jashan

jashan

Just to avoid confusion: I think the conference starts Wednesday, 22nd in the morning and ends Friday, 24th in the later afternoon (see Tom's posting).

I just bought my plane ticket and will be arriving Tuesday, 21st in the early afternoon (14:30), and will be leaving Saturday, 25th in the afternoon (14:40).

And I'll also be at the Savoy Hotel (also booked through hotels.com) ;-)

One thing I found a little confusing: When I first went to the page (hotels.com) it also showed EUR 86,00 per night for the Savoy (or 89, not perfectly sure). However, when I booked, it suddenly was EUR 107,00. Even in another browser, I couldn't get back to the EUR 86,00, so it seems this doesn't have to do with the session-cookie or something like that :-(

Is the EUR 86,00 without fees and taxes, or am I the lucky guy today and they've raised the price exactly 10 minutes ago? Or do they just update the prices whenever someone books? The difference is like spending an extra night :roll:

Well, anyways, I'm very much looking forward to seeing you all!!!

Sunny regards,
    Jashan

42. freyr

freyr

Looks like the original 86 EUR is the price without the 25% Danish VAT (86*1,25 is 107,50).

43. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Ah, that sounds logical. I booked for my company which is a VAT liable company.

Fun there are so many developers in the Savoy hotel. Damn we will be dev-talking even after coming back to the hotel. :)

44. RaphDuBus

RaphDuBus

Hi all,
    I just register today ;-)

I am an old flasher, but a newbie on unity world. I'am really excited about this technologie.

Raphaël

PS: Anyone else flying from France ?

45. jeremyace

jeremyace

No one told me there would be flashers at the meet! Sounds like a party!

/me shakes the moths out of his old trench coat. ;-)

-Jeremy

46. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Let's keep the nudity to a minimum folks! :D

47. Thomas-Lund

Thomas-Lund

Especially nudity by you!!! ;-)

But if its some of the hot babes from the strip club opposite the planetarium - ahhhh!!! Now we are talking :-D

48. jashan

jashan

LOL!

That's a new perspective for "Unite" ;-)

Now if those babes dress up as prefabs, we might have an incredible party 8)

49. Thomas-Lund

Thomas-Lund

*replicate*
    *replicate*
    *replicate*
    *replicate*

hehe

50. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Too bad Unite isn't one week later, then we'd make Friday the official dress up for Halloween day! :p :)

How would one dress up as a prefab (male or female)?

</offtopic>
    <getting back to work>