Search Unity

Unite '09 Tickets are on sale now!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Sep 17, 2009.

1. monique3232

monique3232

Great! Thanks Tom that's very helpful, (I may be contacting you about that refund, have to think about it). I'm looking forward to the conference none the less...best, Monique

2. neo

neo

Monique--

I've been using Unity sporadically for the past couple of months, and my partner who does the graphics side of things has not used it at all. I decided to take the Unity for Flash option because, even though we know nothing about flash, I figure I'll pick up a more solid foundation in the basics, and it will provide at least some introduction to unity for my partner. This is even though I can currently do just about everything I want to do in unity.

3. monique3232

monique3232

Thanks, good tip...I too know nothing about flash so at least there will be some company...best, m

4. etoiles

etoiles

Can you give us more information on how the sign-up will work? Will you send out an email invite, or announce it in the forum? Sorry, just don't want to miss out on this :wink:
    thanks

5. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

We will post a form and then contact those that have purchased tickets. Following that we'll notify all new ticket purchasers so they know to go sign-up. It will not have a forum announcement as it's not really of use to forum users, the people this is really relevant to are ticket purchasers so we'll contact them directly.

6. etoiles

etoiles

perfect, thanks!

7. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Just noticed: Only 20 days until the conference, 17 days until my flight. Wheeeee, this is _soon_!!

8. Captnian_legacy

Captnian_legacy

Is there a schedule posted anywhere? I'd like to know what is happening each day. I know Tuesday is the class. The reason being is I may not have time to attend the entire conference and would like to know what is planned for Thursday/Friday in case I need to miss it.

9. caiken

caiken

Just booked my ticket for conference + training day! This should be lots of fun!

Are there any hotels reserved for the conference? Any hotels offering a shuttle service or would we need a rental car?

Didn't see any mention of accommodations on the website.

Thanks in advance.

10. monique3232

monique3232

Hi Tom,
    I sent you an email to your tom@unity3d.com Unity address last week with regard to getting a refund for the Unity class on the 27th. I still would like a refund for the paid class but then also would like to sign up for the Flash to Unity class on the same day. Can you help me with this? Thanks for your time and work on this forum. Please let me know the best way to get in touch with you regarding this matter.
    Thanks for your help and work on the forum.
    Best,
    Monique

11. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

I have a question regarding the classes on the first day.

I'm a 3D artist who has been using Unity for the past month or so. I've been working with scenes in Unity, importing objects, and the general non-coding stuff.

Which class should I take? Is the "Unity for Unity Developers" only focused towards coders? I'm not a coder, but I have coded before. Though I've forgotten almost everything I still can get the gist of the logic used. Would I gain much from taking the Unity for Unity Developers class or would I be better off in the beginner Flash class?

12. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Yes, and I'm sorry for the slow reply. I'll have a response out to you today, thanks for your patience! :)

Unfortunately you may be falling into a bit of a gap with respect to what's being covered on that Tuesday. The Flash side of Tuesday is really going to be geared for (a) Flash users, that are (b) very new to Unity. On the other hand, the Unity side of Tuesday is geared towards those with more mid-level experience and frankly, some coding/scripting background. If you check the Agenda you'll see that the classes being offered are about GUI Development (scripting-based), Learning Image Effects (graphics focused, but through scripting custom image effects) and Performance Optimization (will run the gamut, scripting to graphics).

So while I think the Flash track will be a bit too noob focused for you, I don't know that you'll get enough from the Unity side... I have to leave that decision up to you. :)

13. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

14. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Does anyone know a good pub / location for a monday night pre-Unite meeting? Maybe even near Fort Mason?

15. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

I created a separate thread to not flood this one here. If you're interested in a pre-Unite monday the 26th beer in a pub with some other Unity ppl, check out this thread:

http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=212315

16. Smeglor

Smeglor

Is there anywhere to see the days and times of the various sessions? I may be attending but not necessarily for the entire three days, and would like to make plans to see the sessions that are most useful.

Thanks!

17. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

Will we be able to get trial Pro versions for our laptops while we're there? Something that just lasts a week or so?

I'm bringing a personal laptop to the conference instead of a company one.

18. goodhustle

goodhustle

I've been waffling over whether to go, but looking through some of the previous years' video online sold me. Looking forward to the trip!

19. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

We should have the full schedule finally 100% sorted today (still juggling things for speaker travel and whatnot) and then we'll try to get it online ASAP so folks can plan as much as possible.

Not at the conference in specific, if you need/want a Pro trial then I strongly suggest that you write us at sales@unity3d.com and request one now, you'll get one good for 30-days and be plenty covered for the conference.

Great, see you there! :D

20. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

We've had more success with this conference than we expected, so we've had to stop selling more tickets for Unity Classroom Day.

In other words:
    The Unity Classes day is sold out. The rest of the conference is not.

21. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

22. DavidT

DavidT

I think I remember reading that for the day 1 classes, we'd need our own laptops with Unity to participate? If that's correct, is having Unity Indie (trial) installed sufficient, or should I try to rush through an eval of Unity Pro?

I'm thinking specifically of the Learning Image Effects class here.

23. davedev

davedev

Looking for something to do when not filling your head with Unity 3D goodness? The Star Trek Exhibition opens this week in San Jose:

http://www.thetech.org/StarTrek/

24. explrCre8

explrCre8

hello, just bought my ticket for the conference and for the day 1 Flash Dev to Unity session.

Is there a more detailed schedule for the conference? What time does everything start etc...

Booked flight + hotel - coming in from Florida on Monday night - looking forward to it!!

25. ryanzec

ryanzec

I am more interested on when we are going to be able to sign-up for the hands-on lab one on one time (since I know the availability for that is going to be limited).

26. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

You will need to bring your own hardware, we are not providing computers for folks to work on. Going along with that you'll likely want a Pro trial instead of Indie so you're not left out of any of the image effects fun. Drop us a line at sales@unity3d.com ASAP, if you've not heard back by the end of the weekend then ping me on Monday (the earlier the better, but let Sunday finish first *please*) and I'll speed it along. If you do that, then please include the case number when you write me.

Not that's posted yet, but know that sessions/lab time runs from 10am to 6pm every day, doors open at 9am, lunch in the middle. The official party is on Thursday night but there is an unofficial Monday night gathering as well as a Tuesday night gathering being sorted by the guys from OverInteractive Media/dimeRocker, but I can't find a thread just yet.

Upon arrival we'll have a form that will allow each person to sign up for one slot under a given topic ("iPhone dev", "optmization", etc. - not saying those exactly but you'll sign up based on a topic of discussion not a particular engineer like in years past). The same is true for open mic sessions which will run on Wed-Fri during lunch.

27. explrCre8

explrCre8

@HiggyB sounds good; thanks for the update - see you next week.

28. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

And stay tuned, I'm uploading a new site update *right*now* that has more details on the day-to-day schedule. It's not 100% complete as some sessions need a detailed listing, but at least you'll know the schedule including some party details. 8)

29. Speez

Speez

schedule looks great :p

Party location looks kinda weird - what's the deal there? Is it a feed? Drinks on Unity? Or are we all just rocking up to a seedy club?

speez out

30. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

LOL, don't mind their site having almost exclusively pics of hoochies. :D

It's a party, that means drinks but no food. The conference agenda ends at 6pm, the party doesn't start until 8pm, that gives you time to go grab dinner and make your way on over. We have the place from 8-midnight with a DJ playing music and the bulk of drinks are on us (we're going to hand out drink tickets, if you go beyond that you can feel free buy all the drinks you like!).

It's a cool club with a nice feel to it that will be all ours for the night. :D

31. explrCre8

explrCre8

yea, place look good enough to me - besides, it's all about the networking :D

also, don't forget about the Wednesday night get together: http://uugparty.eventbrite.com/

place looks very cool; I'm just thankful all the venues are within walking distance of my hotel 'cause I'm footin it while there...

32. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

I will not be able to make this one - but I'd just like to wish everyone a safe journey and a fantastic time :)

All the best,
    Tony

*Tony thinks to himself "Hopefully if there is one next year in Europe (London would be great wouldn't it!) then I'll be able to get there."

33. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

BTW, are any plans to put on the site the other video material like for the 07 and 08 Unite? (probably in march or april i assume).

If i would be you, i would do like other conventions that offers the videos and sessions for a fee; I was not able to come so i don't mind to spend 100 bucks to see all that happened in these 3 days; and i bet many like me :)

I love the pass that is on the GDC site; so i can see all when and how i want without worries :)

any insight Tom?

34. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

07 and 08 videos are already there. Check out the resource section of Unity3d.com.

35. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Thanks Martin for the reply, but as you can read from my post I said "are any plans to put on the site the other video material like for the 07 and 08 Unite?" :) my point is that after looking at the videos from the 07 and 08 conventions I would like to see the ones from the 09; so this implies that I know that the clips are on the site :)

Sorry if my post was not clear

36. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Oerks, no, my fault, didn't read correctly (too early in the morning). Tom said it might take a few weeks until 09 videos are online.

37. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

HiggyB mentioned that they are working with the production company to get the 09 videos up as soon as possible - so it will probably not be long :)

We just have to sit tight for a bit :)

38. Whimsical

Whimsical

39. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

YAY!!!!!

Can't wait to see them :)

Martin: an answer is always welcome....it breaks that feeling that i have, to speak with myself (hey where is everyone else???)

This year I could have stop by there, since i live 20miles away from SF; but I didn't considered that I have recently a wonderful couple of twins in June; so leaving them with my wife for 3 days the entire day would mean to cause a storm on the bay area (and me to change state for a bit LOL) :p

If the trend continue, the Unite010 will be in EU,and the 011 here again; so there is hope for me! :D

40. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

41. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

OMG, just started watching keynote video. The amount of people is just amazing. Kudos to Unity! You guys have totally built a great product and a great community!

42. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

All, the videos will of course get posted but give us room on the timing. We've got prep work to do in order to get them ready for web posting and we want to do a better job than last year. But in any case I've been cautioned against offering time lines just to avoid setting overly aggressive expectations... :p So hang in there and we'll get 'em out when we can!

Thanks. :D For reference, that room (the Cowell Theater at the Fort Mason Center) seats 437 people, it was full with a few people in the aisles. Quite a change from the "mere" 70 or so at our first Unite in 2007, or the 170 or so at our second in 2008.

Onward and upward we go (together)!

43. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Good job Tom :)

and we really appreciate the passion that you guys put in this product....after all if who makes and sell it does not believe in it, how the users could otherwise?

Hopefully the new vids will be available soon;it takes a lots of work and is better to wait and get good quality instead of having a shaking video in low res :D