Search Unity

Unite '09 Tickets are on sale now!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Sep 17, 2009.

1. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

We're excited to announce that Unite '09 tickets are now on sale via our online store:

https://store.unity3d.com/shop/unite

There are two options this year, the first is to attend the three day conference as we've had it before and that costs $350. Then on top of that there are two additions: the first is a free "bootcamp" day for Flash developers transitioning to Unity, the other is a day of more advanced topics for existing Unity users that costs an extra $150. The classes you'll pay for are longer 2-hour proper classes with limited seating so you're guaranteed to get a great value for your money!

For general Unite '09 information stay tuned to the following URL:

Unite '09

Post up if you have any questions, otherwise go buy your tickets and we'll see you in San Francisco!

2. jashan

jashan

Yeeeeha! Got my tickets! :)

3. Thomas-Lund

Thomas-Lund

4. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Oh my god what is it with people and their huge picture postings?! :p

5. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Yepp, got mine too with extra classroom day. Yay!! :)

6. Thomas-Lund

Thomas-Lund

Hey Tom!

When is the advanced day taking place? Cant seem to find that info

/Thomas

7. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

840 pixels wide is acceptable Emil. :)

Blown out 1280x960 type stuff (or larger), not so much... ;)

8. ryanzec

ryanzec

Finally, just purchased my tickets with classes, can't wait.

9. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Tuesday, October 27th: Day of classes
    Wed-Fri, October 28-30th: Tech Session Days

10. ryanzec

ryanzec

So the Flash "boot camp" and days of classes are taking place on the same day? What are the times each of those are taking place as when ordering, you can order both even tho the description makes it seem like the Flash "boot camp" is a full day event.

11. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

One question: How does it work at the entrace of Fort Mason? Will the printed-out ticket from the Unity store be enough to get in?

Hey, exactly 1 month and 10 days until the 27th! :)

12. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

The Fort Mason Center is a huge location and we're only using two small parts of it. So you'll be able to walk in to the general facility with ease, no tickets no nothing (there are restaurants, art galleries and other businesses in there as well). To get into the Conference Center and/or the Cowell Theater, the facilities we're using, you'll need to register with us and get a name tag/badge that will be your ticket in/out. :)

13. freyr

freyr

Flash boot camp and classes happen at the same time, so you can only select one of the two. (Selecting the second option should automatically deselect the first one.)

14. janoonk

janoonk

How advanced is advanced? :)
    What prior knowledge do you need? Can you give me some subjects/concepts you need to know?

Also will there be any slides/video/files available after Unite of these classroom days or only of the 3day conference?

15. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Think of the Unity classes as "mid-level and higher" focused. If you're new to Unity then they won't have as much value as if you're already somewhat comfortable with it. Super high-end users and noob users will get the least, mid-level users the most.

We plan on recording and posting all session videos and materials except the Road Map Wish List discussion which occurs on Thursday morning (that is a perk for attendees only). Oh, and we definitely plan on being faster in the posting of those videos... :p :)

16. ryanzec

ryanzec

Ok, yea, it does do that. I was just thrown off by them being checkboxes instead of radio buttons.

17. janoonk

janoonk

Plane (KLM), hotel (TravelLodge By The Bay) and 3 day conference plus bootcamp are booked!
    We arrive on Saterday 24th and leave on Saterday 31th . Here we come :)

18. Wenceslao

Wenceslao

Just bought my ticket. Extra class day too! Now to get everything else in line. I'll see you guys there!

19. Murcho

Murcho

Just booked my ticket. Looking forward to it!

20. mklaurence

mklaurence

Is there a limit to the amount of attendees / do you expect to sell out? In other words, should I rush to buy a ticket or can I wait a couple weeks? :)

21. Seer

Seer

Just a off-topic question for Unity dev's.

For those of us who can't attend Unite, will we be getting HD quality videos of the presentations (like the ones uploaded for old conferences) side by side.. or at the end?

I really enjoyed viewing every video on Unity site, really informative stuff. Would love to see more of it in higher quality (though current one isn't bad or anything).

Thanks.

22. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

NikSha:

There will be videos like those from the previous years. After Unite they will be edited and at some point released. Lots of factors play into when editing is done and approved, so we have no set release dates.

23. Seer

Seer

Thanks for the reply. :)

*now to wait*

24. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Yes, there's a limit as we don't have a conference hall of infinite size (we can sell a maximum of 400 tickets). I'll leave it to you to assess the wait/no-wait status on your end.

And let's be clear, we will be posting them like the others and I don't know that they're in anything like HD format (I honestly don't recall, just set your expectations to be the same as they are posted for 2007/2008 in terms of overall quality, possibly a touch better but no guarantees).

25. ryanzec

ryanzec

I am curious on how the classes are going to work. Is it going to be there is only every one class running and everyone is in that class or will there be multiple classes running at the same time and people can choose which classes to take?

Also, out of curiosity, what is the seat limit for the classes?

26. EricKramp

EricKramp

I had another question about the classes, can you add them on to your main ticket later or do you have to buy it when you get your main pass?

Looking forward to Unite! Couldn't make it last year unfortunately, but having it back in the'ol hometown helps a lot! :D

27. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

There will be to "tracks" on the day of classes:

Unity for Flash Developers
    Unity for Unity Developers

Each track will have one class going on at a time, in different rooms. The Flash track will have 4 or 5 one hour sessions. The Unity track will have three two-hour sessions. The Flash track is beginner focused and free, the Unity track is for those with some Unity experience already and must be paid for.

The Flash track can handle up to 400 people as it will be in the large Cowell Theater. The Unity track is limited to 180 people at which point that day sells out.

I'm not sure what our store supports but if you buy a standard pass now and want to add the day of classes later then we'll work with you on that.

It's been a while since I've seen you and Barry, hopefully you'll have a few folks that can make it!

28. EricKramp

EricKramp

Awesome! Getting my pass now then

29. Seer

Seer

To be honest I am just interested in high quality for videos which involve showing anything on the large screens/projectors/computers/holograms :| .. only. For others we can always hear without watching the video, but low quality in presentations ruins the whole thing most of the time. :(

Anyways, gonna wait for the videos before I start whining about the quality anymore. :?

30. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

One question: Are there again these 1:1 sessions bookable with Unity team members like during the Unite 08?

31. dizzlebomb

dizzlebomb

So the paid class day is also Tuesday the 27th eh?

I'd like to know a little more about what is in store regarding that class session before I book it. The first thing I read about the paid class called it "lab time". I was super excited about that because my choice would be to bring my own Unity project data with me and get expert help solving specific scripting problems I am wrestling.

I am relatively new to Unity specifically but have been working in the game industry as a technical artist for 10 years, and have a wide range of scripting experience writing tools and such.

Can anyone paint a little better picture of exactly what to expect out of the classes? I am looking for more specific information but can't find it. Thanks--

32. Paris_legacy

Paris_legacy

I'd be interested in learning a little more about what the classes entail as well.

Are they targeted to a beginner, intermediate or advanced audience? If we are seasoned Unity developers, will we get a lot out of them? Just trying to decide whether they're worthwhile or not.

Look forward to seeing everyone in San Francisco.

Cheers,
    Paris

33. Paris_legacy

Paris_legacy

Additional question:
    What's the time period of the conference each day?

We'll probably be working in Palo Alto for that period, so we'd need to Caltrain up to SF each morning/down each night - is that feasible, or does the conference start prohibitively early each day?

Cheers,
    Paris

34. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

For the hands-on lab time you will not book a meeting with a specific person, you will book a meeting on a specific topic (example: iPhone, Wii, Networking/Multiplayer, etc.), then we'll match you with an appropriate person. But you will then work 1-on-1 with that person just as we had at both prior conferences.

As I stated before both the Unity for Flash Developers and the Unity for Unity Developers day of classes are on Tuesday (two simultaneous tracks going on in different rooms). And both of those are on Tuesday, the Flash track is skewed to the beginner side and is free, the Unity track is skewed to the intermediate/advanced side as must be paid for.

Where did you read that? The day of classes is entirely separate from our "hands-on lab" which occurs at the end of every day and is included with the conference fees (hands-on lab doesn't cost extra).

Again the day of classes is not a chance for you to work with us on your own project/issues. The day of classes is a chance for you to work hands-on in a class format working through material provided by the presenter/instructor. Hands-on lab occurs at the end of each day (Wed-Fri) and is on a first-come, first-served sign-up basis at no extra cost. It's a chance for you to sit and work one-on-one with our staff for 15-20 minutes to get directed and specific questions answered.

Sit down, listen, do work, just like any other "class" you've attended. Specific material about what those classes will offer in terms of topics is coming out this week (we're finalizing some agenda page information today!).

As noted above they will skew more to the intermediate/advanced range so those with existing Unity knowledge will benefit more than noobs (noobs should go into the Flash track if anything). But hardcore experts may not gain as much as a mid-level user. Stand by for more information about the courses as that will be posted to our site shortly.

Roughly 9am to 6pm every day. Sessions/talks start at 10am, end by 4pm and we do hands-on lab from 4-6pm.

35. mobo13

mobo13

I wish I could go....but the economy is bad, I just won't have any $$ for tickets and travel.... :cry:

36. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

The first round of Unite '09 Agenda information is live!

Unite '09 Agenda

Check it out!

37. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Super! Looks interesting.

It was written that there is later some kind of form to register for the open-mic sessions. Will that be an online form? I might be interested in one of those smaller sessions. Was thinking about some quick post-mortem for Hard Rock Racing.

Thanks.

38. Paris_legacy

Paris_legacy

Tickets purchased! Very excited.

39. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

This year we plan on having an online form for both open-mic sessions and hands-on lab sessions. :)

40. DeLong

DeLong

HiggyB, Do we need to bring our own computers? or will the classes be held in a computer room (Mac or PC)?

41. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

If you want to work along with the instructor in the classes then yes, you need to bring your own computer.

42. ryanzec

ryanzec

Two questions about the hands-on classes at the end of each of the 3 main days.

The first question is there a limit to the number of classes you can sign up for. if these classes are going to be 15-20 mins 1:1 with a UT employe that means that each employee with only be able to do 6-8 sessions each of the 3 days. I know it is first come first serve with the sign up but just wondering if there is that limit so I know to submit the more important of the 2 specific questions I have right now.

The other question, is there a scope limit to what can be asked. I would assume questions like "How do I build and game" or "How do I attach a script to a object" would not be useful for these 1:1 sessions. I guess as I am writing this, the answer would be to just use common sense.

Thanks.

43. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

They are not "classes", it's "hands-on lab" where you sit for 15-20 minutes with a UT staff member to ask questions. But there is no "course material". This is all quite separate from the day of classes being held on Tuesday.

Yes, prior to the conference 1 and that's it. As it is, if we sell out (400 people) we will not be able to offer everyone an opportunity for this, so a maximum of one slot can be reserved per-person ahead of time.

No, but you will need to think carefully about your question(s) as you will sign up for a topic, not a person. For example, "iPhone Questions", or "Terrain Questions", so while working 1-on-1 with that person surprise questions like "how do I do Wii development?" may not get the best answer. So focus on a topic and go from there.

44. jakehaas

jakehaas

Are people under 18 allowed to come?

45. mickell

mickell

I would hope so. You will miss out (maybe) on some of the best beer drinking to be had anywhere west of the Potomac.

46. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Attend the conference? Yes. Attend the party? No.

47. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

If you slip me 10 bucks I'll get you into the party.

Kidding of course... not even sure what the "party" is... wish I was invited ;)

Previous Unites have had plenty of people under 18 so you're definitely welcome to attend.

48. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

LOL, we might let you in if you're nice Ethan. :D

49. monique3232

monique3232

I am an architect not a game developer and will be attending the Unity 2009 conference. I am very interested in learning more about Unity to help develop and show my architectural work. I have some experience with the program, having built a Cinema 4D model recently that I was able to import into Unity and "run around" in it. Unfortunately there were problems; such as falling off into infinity from terraces, and not being able to get out of things that I'd fallen into, (like saunas and swimming pools ect).

For these reasons I thought it would be great to take a real class. That said I'm afraid I may be overwhelmed with the class in the 27th, (seriously I know nothing of scripting or writing code, but know a lot about putting a building together). I've already paid for it as I thought it was a class for beginners like myself. Should I have signed up for the Flash class instead? There doesn't seem to be training in Unity anywhere else in the US now though so I thought I'd give it a go.

Thanks for your help and your work on this forum...

Monique

50. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

First off, welcome to the forums and hello from San Francisco, just up the peninsula from you. :D

Awesome. We're seeing a lot more pick-up of Unity in the non-games area, and architectural viz is one area of use among those.

Lots of ways to either prevent those situations or rectify them. Please know that these forums are chock full of helpful knowledgeable people so you can feel free to post up and ask for help any time you're ready to.

The Unity classes being given on that Tuesday aren't skewed to the beginner end of the spectrum although you may still get something from them. The Flash side of things is skewed towards the beginner end but frankly, it's going to focus more on the "so you use Flash and want to adopt Unity now, what's the transition going to be like". I'll be starting the day with an intro to Unity session but those will be the ultra-basics ("Hi, I'm Tom, welcome to the Unity interface..." :p ).

My point? You may be between a rock and hard place choosing between the two. If you're at all interested in a refund on the Tuesday sessions you paid for then please get in touch with me directly and I'll help out.

Thanks for using Unity. :)