Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

uniSWF - Flash to Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by flamingpumpkin, Jul 21, 2012.

1. flamingpumpkin

flamingpumpkin

uniSWF is a an easy to use Adobe® Flash® to Unity UI Solution. Simply publish assets from Flash® and they seamlessly appear in the Unity editor. A familiar and powerful API modelled on the Flash® runtime makes creating anything from menus to full featured games easy.

Features:
    • Convert Adobe® Flash® files to Unity®.
    • Animated MovieClips, full timeline support.
    • Live Preview in the Unity editor.
    • Built in tweener.
    • Automatic texture packing.
    • API features Display Lists, MovieClips, Event Dispatchers and loads more, works great with C#, JavaScript and Boo script.
    • Optimised for iPhone iPad as well as the standard Web and Desktop players.
    • Bitmap based conversion for rapid rendering.
    • Game examples with source code included.

Web | Demos | Docs | Asset store

Requirements:
    Unity 3.5 or above.
    OS X or Windows® XP/7.
    Adobe® Air® runtime.
    Adobe® Flash® CS5 or above.

See the uniSwf.com website for more details, documentation and tutorials.

Current version: 1.0.2 ( Last updated 2012-7-20 )

2. nuverian

nuverian

I find this very interesting. I believe the prce is a bit high though. You would certainly have more views/purchases if the product name was a bit different, denoting this is for UIs mainly. Just a suggestion. In any case it looks prety good.

3. ZJP

ZJP

Well done. ;)
    It seems incredible that you have succeeded it. Unity should hire you for the creation of their GUI. :(

+1

4. flamingpumpkin

flamingpumpkin

Thanks for the feedback, on the pricing were are doing a great offer in a few days time so watch this space.

5. lockd

lockd

It looks awesome, but does it need Unity Pro?
    Does it support Retina?

6. flamingpumpkin

flamingpumpkin

uniSWF works on unity indie as its pure .net library so no native plugins required. Retina will work but you may have to create a separate FLA with higher resolution assets, we are currently working on a way to automate the workflow for multiple devices so for example if you wanted to create a HD version you can select a custom profile and will only package the assets for that profile.

7. imtrobin

imtrobin

How is the performance of using Flash as UI or do you convert into an optimized format in unity?

8. flamingpumpkin

flamingpumpkin

Performance is optimised for bitmap ui and animation, the swf files are pre-processed into a custom format that the unity uniSWF player can read which is done automatically when you publish the flash file.

9. bufflogic

bufflogic

So how many draw calls would this require?
    Would 3 buttons need 3 draw calls? Etc.
    This is really important info to relay to potential buyers when claiming a UI system is optimized for mobile.
    I'm considering this, but need more information.

Thanks. If it works like i think it does, It looks like you just might steal the scaleform market :)

10. flamingpumpkin

flamingpumpkin

Three Buttons would generally be one call depending on how many materials used, all draw calls are rendered into a Unity Mesh which can also take advantage of the render pipeline such as dynamic batching etc.

11. str1d3r13

str1d3r13

Does it work with Kinect?

12. str1d3r13

str1d3r13

Does it work with using Kinect and Zigfu Plugin?

13. lastprogrammer

lastprogrammer

So are you guys still working on this? I was looking for a really great GUI solution and I remembered this, but it seems kind of dead around here. I have lots of experience with Flash and used to make games with it, and it would be nice to easily integrate flash with Unity, and looking through your documentation it seems you have come up with a great solution for flash to unity.

But how does your solution compare to the now available scaleform that is only $295 for mobile unity? Your price of $200 seems ok, because I think your solution works on iOS basic, and scaleform works for pro only (I might be wrong, but I think scaleform needs to have plugins, which is pro only feature).

Thanks

14. neoRiley

neoRiley

I'm wondering what can be done for receiving onComplete events from tweener calls generated from a MovieClip object? right now, your docs say you have to provide a GameObject, but given that we're working in MovieClip objects that makes no sense - ie: everything else with uniSWF is done with DisplayObjects.

Tweener.addTween(target, Tweener.Hash("alpha", 1, "time", .5f, "transition", Tweener.TransitionType.easeInOutSine, "onCompleteGameObject", this, "onCompleteGameMethod", "HandleFadeInComplete" ));

I get a "Failed to parse 'onCompleteGameObject'"

Is there a "onCompleteMovieClip" or similar so that I can receive events on the same object I created the tween with?

Thanks for your help,

John

15. neoRiley

neoRiley

if you have experience with Flash and you're coming over to Unity, UniSWF is heaven. Our workflow on this current project ROCKS because of uniSWF and the ability to flush out good UI quickly is awesome.

We're all a bunch of veteran Flash developers and when this came into the picture, it made creating GUI's 100x's easier and more rich.

yeah it's good.

16. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I've tried some of the webplayer demos on Mac and its funny how the buttons activate when I am actually clicking outside any button.

17. sonofbryce

sonofbryce

Hello flamingpumpkin. I'm interested in checking out uniSwf and I wanted to know how well it handled character animation. I'm intending to use it for a mobile game with lots of different characters and lots of animation on screen at once. Does uniSWF do something beyond generating spritesheets? With a lot of animations, spritesheets eat up a ton of memory and I've been trying to find a way around that.

Thanks!

18. gecko

gecko

Can I use this with NGUI? Import flash graphics and animations with UniSwf, then set them up in NGUI? Any reason that wouldn't work?

19. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Is the developer still working on this? I want to purchase it, but I haven't been seeing any activity from the developer on this thread and it makes me a little wary.

20. micsun

micsun

Well 1.0.3 was released not too long ago. I have been using UniSWF for about 3 months now and I can tell you the following:

1. Exports vector stuff in to bitmap texture sheets. Do not expect things to scale up without pixelization. The resolution of the texture exported will depend on what the MovieClip's size was in it's linkage. (Example: Do not expect to be able to rotate a bitmap on a timeline and have it rotate a single MovieClip. It will plaster a new copy of the image on to the texture sheet at the rotated angle for each frame of the time line) Expect to do as much animations as possible in code unless you want a very large amount of texture sheets.

2. The maximum size of a texture it exports is 512x512. So, if you have a high resolution bitmap you want to use for your background such as a 1920x1080 bitmap and you put that in a MovieClip, it will shrink it down to 512x288 and then when you create the MovieClip in Unity, it will report the width and height correctly, when you see it it will just be the 512x288 bitmap scaled up to 1920x1080. *A workaround is to cut up your image in to 512x512 chunks and put each chunk in a separate MovieClip, and then put all the MovieClips together in a master MovieClip and it will look correct...but this is a lot of extra work to do and very tedious to do by hand...

3. Windows DirectX seems to display Uniswf half a pixel off while it looks correct on OSX OpenGL and Windows OpenGL. Workaround is for Windows DirectX, just have everything placed on to a master display object, and have the master display object's x = 0.5f and y = 0.5f (if you want everything to be pixel perfect).

4. TextField's textHeight and textWidth properties do not seem to work. This introduces some challenges to make a proper console using purely UniSWF. I had to revert to using Unity GUI for the console and may have to do the same for several other UI components.

5. TextFields as input fields do not seem to support selection or paste. I'm not sure how to paste from the clipboard. There are some threads about this, but I personally haven't been able to get this to work. Some users want the ability to paste from the keyboard but I'm not sure how to do it (argh).

6. As my project is getting bigger, it's been taking longer and longer to process the swf file. This is just a general complaint from the devs/artists.

7. It would be nice to have a "Hit" state for buttons. Currently the ScreenUtils.createButton uses the rectangle region of the bitmap for the mouse over detection. Not a big deal, more of a polish thing, heh.

Overall, would I recommend this? Yes! Don't let the "points" above detract from this useful tool. This has been a nice transition from the Flash game world. I hope the dev will address the addressable points above sooner or later.

21. dreamerflyer

dreamerflyer

hi, Do you test the share fonts? I according the link:http://uniswf.com/home/tutorials/id/109 .to make many swf share the fonts.but only one swf can use the fonts,how to fixed this?

22. dreamerflyer

dreamerflyer

and how to share the different size font?

BitmapTextField() '' failed to find shared font 'Albertus_sz:26_b:0_i:0_c:#b8a278_f:[{"knockout":false,"blurX":1,"alpha":1,"hideObject":false,"blurY":1,"strength":3.8671875,"name":"DropShadowFilter","color":0,"quality":3,"distance":1,"inner":false,"angle":24.99958519251387}]', forget to MovieClip.preloadSWF() ?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  23. IkigaiMonkey

IkigaiMonkey

Hi. I bought this plugin today, but I couldnt make it work. Everytime I import it, everything just crash and my project got corrupted and unable to open.

There is some know issue with the last version of Unity? I am using unity pro, last version.

24. MONAQ

MONAQ

I have purchased uniswf and would like to know if this feature is available. I have high res, medium res and low res versions of images and I need to load images of a specific resolution based on device platform.

25. BenoitFreslon

BenoitFreslon

Hello,

Are IK animations compatible with the uniSWF converter?

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  26. ecutruin

ecutruin

I suppose it cannot hurt to try post here as well, as I've tried every other means I can think of to contact the uniSWF developers.

I think the tool is pretty awesome, as it easily allows you to work with your Flash assets in Unity, however, the way it is handled breaks functionality with other extensions (as well as Unity's prefab preview itself). This is specifically related to the mesh being used to render the converted animation.

Is this something you guys intend on fixing as I was under the impression, when I purchased this tool, that the results would feel like native Unity objects and could be worked with as such, and that is just not the case currently.

I really hope to hear back from you,
    Ecu