Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UniSky v1.2 - Procedural Weather Update

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Chris Morris, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

@grfxman - sure, can you drop me an e-mail? It'll be easier to discuss from there, and I can give you an advance on the next version of UniSky that has some bug fixes.

Chris AT sixtimesnothing DOT com

2. Mohammad R. Shojaie

Mohammad R. Shojaie

Hi,

Very cool tool. I need it for my project but I am not sure yet if this prefab includes snow effect. I really need it so if the weather system includes snow effect I definitely buy it!

Thanks.

Edit: As you can see in Quest3D and Lumion, there is a very good system about sun position in a particular date. You have 3 sliders which represent year, month and day. Also a slider for hours. The sun position is not only depends on daytime but the season and date. It will be great to have something like this in this package.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  3. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

@Mohammad - We are planning to include snow in our next big update v1.3. UniSky doesn't have snow yet, but it will :)

Regarding the sun position - the script allows you to designate a variety of parameters, including the year/month/day/latitude/longitude. However, for simplicity and to stay more "general purpose", the UniSky UI only offers access to a 24-hour slider. You can easily change the other parameters inside the script, but they are left off of the UI.

4. Mohammad R. Shojaie

Mohammad R. Shojaie

Great. And what about the release date, v1.3?

5. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

I can't be too sure right now - I'm finishing v1.2.4 which is ending up being a larger update than I originally thought. The new update has a one-step setup, optimized performance, an API for having fine control over weather, and a few other small things (bug fixes etc.). I can only say that I will be starting on v1.3 in about a week.

6. grfxman

grfxman

Will one of the bug fixes be the upside-down image problem on some cards? Cause I just put the latest build of Rogue on dimerocker with the last Unisky and have already received some nasty emails about it coming in upside-down. You can test it at :

http://apps.facebook.com/dimerocker/play/rogue.

7. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

I don't know the cause of that upside-down image problem with UniSky, but in one project I had a similar problem that was caused by a shader... the cause of the problem was difficult to find because it only appeared in Windows machines and my development machine is a Mac.

8. grfxman

grfxman

Well the version of Unisky before the new rain effects works fine. But I can't distribute two versions of a game on markets like FaceBook or MySpace. I think there needs to be some kind of fallback codes that tests compatibility. We allow our game online as we build it to raise funds, but when we receive an angry post/email because of this issue it does more harm then good. The worst part is they never stop to think to tell us their hardware so we can actually address the issue.

9. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

It definitely has to do with the image effects, but just like davidgutierrezpalma - I can't reproduce it so troubleshooting it is difficult.

Googleing this it looks like it may have something to do with the image effects for the weather coupled with anti-aliasing. I'm going to address this tonight and hopefully find a clear answer.

10. grfxman

grfxman

Ok I just sent you an email as well. It's so odd cause Unity had this exact same issue when they came out with the car demo. I remember having to track down a new base FX script for all the core fx shaders to play that demo right side up. But this time it's random video cards. And as I said before the public doesn't offer the hardware specs most of the time.

Sadly I don't have the budget to go out and buy all the cards we would have to test.

11. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

12. staincorb

staincorb

Hi Chris Morris.

I bought Unisky resently and discovered it dosent work with unitys fog, ?. It eraces unitys fog. ? How do yuo get fog to work in your screen shot ?

I would also recomend to make the Unity sky blend trough various Presets, Suny to Rainy, Cloudy To stormy and so on. Also tointegrate a way to control ambien light direcly in Unisky, that way I could have my Nights look Like Night and Day look like day.

O and I do Like Unisky very much :). We bought it here at the company, but sadly havent goten the programers to look into the controlling of Enviromental Light yet.

13. gecko

gecko

We've got this integrated into our project, but it has a pretty huge performance impact -- it adds about 500 drawcalls, 300 tris, and increases the ms by 20+. Are there particular settings in the Inspector that will minimize this performance impact? I love the effects but I don't have this much performance to spare.

14. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

@staincorb @gecko -

The next version to be released solves many of these problems. With the new API, you will have control over Unity's fog through script. You will also be able to control ambient light, transitions from cloudy to rainy to sunny, and every other parameter of UniSky through a very easy to use scripting API.

It also is optimized, and the sky domes have a greatly reduced poly count. However, @gecko I have never heard of UniSky adding 500 draw calls, or an increase of 20ms/frame. Can you give me the system specs for that?

I'm going to make a new topic about the next release with the next day or two. There are some things I want to update all license owners on (like new features, and release schedule for future releases) so keep an eye out for that.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  15. tr1stan

tr1stan

Hi Chris, does the cool features of unisky available for Unity iphone advance?

16. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

17. tr1stan

tr1stan

It's a disappointment that we can't use it in our iOS project at this time. I'm looking forward to the mobile version.

18. grfxman

grfxman

Ok Chris I added those shaders to a build of Rogue and hopefully it fixes the upside down bug. If people care to test it you can find it here:

http://apps.facebook.com/dimerocker/play/rogue

If you do get an upside down image please post what gear you are using here :

Rogue Forum

Thanks

P. S.
    The next issue I want to tackle is finding out why the rain sounds effect continues forever after the first rainfall. I'm starting to feel like all the storm/rain sliders need to be at nearly the same value or issues like this pop up.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  19. grfxman

grfxman

Someone with : windows 7 64 bit, geforce 240m Just reported that it's still upside down :(

20. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

@grfxman - I honestly don't know at this point. There was a small bug where some users with specific cards, when antialiasing was enabled, had the rain drops run up instead of down, but that has been resolved in the new version (1.2.4 - about to hit Asset Store, uploaded last night - going to post a thread about it soon).

Is anyone else getting this? I haven't heard this from anyone else, so my instinct is that it might be another image effect you are using that is conflicting - are there any other image effects on your camera?

21. grfxman

grfxman

I don't have any other image effects attached to the project. So I'm sure that's not the issue.

22. grfxman

grfxman

So I turned off antialiasing and now it works ! :) I'm using a script from the forum to fake anti aliasing for now.

23. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

24. staincorb

staincorb

THX Mate, we have time to wait for uptade so its good enough :)

25. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

26. kinetiknz

kinetiknz

Hi Chris, I watched your demo and it looks amazing, especially the rain pockets when looking upwards! I fish in the rain regularly and you nailed that effect.

Anyway, I would like to use your script, but only if I could have zones of rain. Basically I am doing an arch vis project and I need weather outside the house/apartment, not inside. Have you seen this done/think it's possible/am I dreaming?

Thanks
    KinetikNZ

27. Thomas21

Thomas21

Chriss
    How i can update my Unisky?
    please HELP me.

28. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

does it work for mobile yet?

29. TouchSoft

TouchSoft

Yes, any update for mobile?

30. RaidingShaman

RaidingShaman

Why UniSky is no more availabke in assetstore?Pls help!