Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UniSky - real-time procedural sky tool - now available on the Asset Store

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Chris Morris, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

@Chad - Thanks for the kind words! I think you are right, I will probably add that to the ReadMe in the next version. A more proper solution is to use 2 cameras and render UniSky on its own layer, but it's important for first time users that just want to see it in action as fast as possible to know that they need to push the Far Clip wayyyy back to see everything. Thanks for the suggestion.

Shadows are handled exactly the same way as any other directional light. Draw calls go up when you enable shadows for any light because the scene has to be effectively drawn twice. The way shadowing works is the scene is drawn an extra time from the light's point of view to determine occlusion, and so the draw calls will likely double as well. This isn't unique to UniSky's sun but rather all directional lights and dynamic shadowing in Unity.

Hope this helps

2. chadchat

chadchat

Thx for the response.

Really pleased with how well Unisky works with water at the horizon line, looks great.
    The only thing I had to do was to introduce a plane under the water to account for the blackness you see where the atmosphere ends. I'm working with an island in this scene it's not like I have a large terrain object covering that up. Let me know if there's a better solution!

I notice that in the Scene view the Unisky Sun doesn't move according to the time setting, correct? So to render lightmaps wouldn't you have to use a separate Directional Light to imitate where the Unisky Sun will be? I feel like I'm missing something here..

About the 2 camera solution, I added another camera to my character controller, created a new layer called Unisky, checked only Uniksy on the assigned camera, and unchecked only Unisky on the MainCamera. The background of both is set tot black. -Does that sound right?

Also, are these intermittent color artifacts a fact of life with Unisky?
    Not to say they aren't pretty~

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  3. duke

duke

You said the volumetric stuff was too much of a penalty, but have you considered shifting it to OpenCL? It's perfect for such things, and could be an option for cards that support it (approx. past 2 years).

4. ippdev

ippdev

Just got this today and haven't gotten my hands off it for a few hours. I can see the Moon in the demo scene but it fails to show in the scene I built. I tried one as well as two Cameras and using one to render UniSky but in neither case could I see the Moon show up except for a brief moment when I had both cameras on. They are set to both set to Depth with Main Camera at 1 and UinSkyCamera at Depth 0. It creates a Moon Entity which is on the Default Layer but there is no way i see yet to change that layer as it gets created at runtime.

As well, I noted after running through dozens of settings and cycling through day/night/day tests that often a good cloud coverage for early morning and late evening will be too much at night and not enough when the Sun is at the Zenith. Is there a way to script cloud coverage changes. I could see easily Lerping up a Thunderstom UniSky or clear a demonic overcast to a bright sunny day for example if we had some vars exposed for scripting.

Another thing to add would be a second altitude cloud layer with a varied set of noise parameters. And a nice ground based camera fog to get rolling mist like those amazing clouds at ground level.. Great for Rock Band stage fog or mystical mornings New England rolling ground fog.

Best
    BTH

5. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

@chat - Covering up the black far below the horizon with a water plane is probably the best solution. At first I had the skydome mesh as an entire sphere, but since that was wasting verts, I cut it in half. It would probably still look weird if someone saw sky below the horizon line anyway ;)

In a directional light, the position is actually meaningless - only its direction is useful because the light is infinitely positioned along a directional vector. In the scene view, even though the light position isn't at the position of the sun in the sky, its direction still fully represents the sun's light. So it will render lightmaps correctly.

Setting UniSky on its own layer is a little more complicated. You'll need to set the camera "depth" which is the order in which each camera is drawn, to draw the UniSky camera after the scene camera. You also need to set the clear flags to allow UniSky to replace any empty areas in your foreground camera. I haven't actually done this myself though so I can't get any more specific.

And those artifacts, though they do look a little psychedelic ;), are not typical. Are you using Unity Indie?

@Duke - The main problems with volumetric clouds, that I ran into, were submitting such a high number of vertices - and fillrates. I partially solved these problems by billboarding the clouds and updating them each on a different frame, but at the end of the day they were very hard to make dynamic and parameterized.

I think an excellent solution is to combine UniSky with a 3d cloud package like 3dDude has. That way you can get away with using less volumetric clouds and still have some nice control over the sky.

P.S. - I love OpenCL, but for the clouds I was working on I was already calculating everything in shaders and rendering results to render targets. Geometry shaders would have been nice though, if they were supported.

6. ZachGriffin

ZachGriffin

Hi Guys,

Great work on the project!

I have a few points which will make it easier for those adding it to their project.

-On both my systems I had to set the global Y-position to be -45411 in order to see the sky being rendered
    -I had an issue with the the sunlight casting shadows and causing flickering of closely rendered objects. To fix it make sure you turn off cast and receive shadows in the sky and cloud mesh renderers.
    -I can't get the moon to render in my scene despite it working in the demo scene. If anyone else has the same problem I'd like to hear it. I'll keep trying to track the bug

Other improvements I'd like to see.

-The Julian Date and Latitude/Longitude exposed so we can have different (i.e. real life arcs based on geographical location)
    -The moon light is on during the day when the sun is up and vice versa. I'd like to see them automatically switched on/off depending on their position in the sky
    -At the moment (at least for me) the light position vs the sun in the sky shader are in different positions. One looks like its rotated 90deg from the other. This is for adding effects like the sunlight shafts (Image effect)
    -Two cloud layers with varying speed/height as it gives the atmosphere much more depth.
    -The current clouds to be affected by the sunlight at sunrise/sunset to make them appear more 3d (so that those edges closer to the sun are highlighted with the sun colour and those edges of a cloud further away are made darker)
    -The generated cloud layer exposed as a light cookie for cloud shadows rolling past

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this progresses. Keep up the good work!

7. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

@chad - I just realized I misread one of your earlier questions about using UniSky in the scene editor to bake lightmaps. This has now been added to the feature list for the next version. The functionality wasn't added because I assumed (wrongly) that since the 24h cycle was dynamic that no one would be baking lightmaps, but I've have a few people mention this so I'll implement a way to do it.

@ZachGriffin - That's the first I've heard of someone having to change the position to see it. Is your far clip plane set high enough? If you don't decide to put UniSky on its own layer, you need to set the clip plane very high (try 100,000) - this might also be why the moon isn't being rendered.

The sunlight shafts effect that comes with Unity is not very compatible with UniSky. For those of you who have bought UniSky - send me an e-mail and I'll send you the sun shafts effect that we use in our game, that is compatible with UniSky. It's based on the article in Game Gems 3 (http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems3/gpugems3_ch13.html)

If you still want the positions to line up correctly, comment out this line in DirectionalSun.js:

// Rise in the east
    // transform.eulerAngles += new Vector3(0,100,0); <------ comment this line out

Then your positions should match up.

Thanks for the other great suggestions - I'll definitely be referring to them for the next release.

- Chris

8. chadchat

chadchat

Good thoughts Zach.

I was going to ask about the Moon Light being always on and the drawcalls associated with that...

This would be a great update, or simply being able to input GMT.. just something to anchor the cycle to a specific location.

I found dropping the Unisky Prefab into the Scene View caused problems, but things were fine when I dropped it straight into the Hierarchy Panel.

9. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

@Bluster T Hogwash - I apologize, I must have missed your reply!

Thanks for the suggestions, the weather update will include a lot of what has been mentioned. As a conservative timeline, I expect to be submitting it within the next 3 weeks. I think you all will be happy with the update :)

Also, if you aren't seeing your moon on your own project but you do see it in the demo project - I suspect you need to set the far clip plane back even farther - I suggest 100,000. The moon has to pull quite a large radius so its billboard is very far away in the scene. If you decide to put UniSky on its own layer with its own camera, you should be sure to set the far clip setting on this camera as well.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  10. ippdev

ippdev

Thanks Chris. I was feeling left out..heh..

I would also like to know how to change the Moon position so I can put alien planets on the horizon..or possibly several.. What do you suggest would work best with your system?

Great stuff! Makes you want to change projects just to use its whiz banginess.

Best
    BTH

11. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

Hmm - In the code, the moon's position is determined relative to the sun's position - I would dig into the positioning code and play with it. There isn't an interface to this in the GUI, so you'll have to do it manually. Then of course change the moon texture and moon size so that it looks like a crazy alien planet ;)

If you want more planets that work within the framework of UniSky, it gets more complicated. You would need to clone the moon entity code, make sure it gets the camera position passed to it for billboarding purposes, and change the position. I've never tried this myself.

Sounds like a good feature for a future version though.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  12. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Well done! But would you mind posting a web player of your sun shaft effect that's compatible with your sky system? Will that be integrated sometime in the near future as a complete package? Thanks...

13. 3dDude

3dDude

Hey chris,

I have a question,

Could you post a webplayer of some scene?

Because All of the systems I have downloaded for Ascattering have not worked... I thought something might be different on your system...

thanks!

14. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

adamzeliasz - Thanks! I'm a bit against posting a webplayer, but I uploaded a video of it in action so you can see what it looks like. It will be included in the weather update and integrated with the example project that comes with the package.

Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iFOl_RZgMY

@3dDude - As mentioned, I'd rather not post a webplayer, but also I'm not sure what you mean? Atmospheric scattering is very difficult to set up because it relies on very precise vertex distances and shader parameters. My implementation is based of the the article in GPU Gems 2:

http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems2/gpugems2_chapter16.html

15. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Thanks for the vid. I'll definitely be picking it up...

16. U2

U2

@ChrisMorris

Hey I have been playing around with the sun shaft effect on the moon of all things on the current version and turns out it makes a nice little effect...

for night time I use a low res, moon as the transform, dist 500, blue/gray sun color, 1.25 radius, blur 0.0549, blur iterations 2, Intensity 0.075, alpha mask 0.990991

It basically lights the clouds up a little where the moon passes by them very softly and gives the moon itself a nice soft glow so it doesn't look so fake. I found by making the sun color a darker bluish gray color that it helps to soften the effect so it doesn't look fake.

If I may ask you might want to test this out yourself. It'd be cool if your script would automatically change the sun shaft setting for day vs night. The cool pale blue light from the moon is kinda sweet imho.

17. ippdev

ippdev

@rutecht Sounds like a great addition and nice intellectual gift.

@Chris Morris Finally found the moon in a Unisky I dropped in. There is an issue in that if you swing by it with the camera it will rotate with the camera and not stay stationary in the sky. Its positions remains correct but it will partially rotate with the camera. I turned the Sun->Time to about where the Moon was close to zenith. It may be that I couldn't find the Moon in a prior test due to having fog turned on? Other than that the intermittency would be baffling as it showed up with no issue and no Inspector changes ad in the previous one I tried everything under the Sun..and other tabs too:)

Best
    BTH

18. magneticblue

magneticblue

@Chris, hello, I bought UniSky two weeks ago. It's great, I appreciate your work very, very much, but...

Today I built my little project for the first time and when I go full screen in web player, I get a black screen. I've tested the web player with Firefox and Chrome (Windows 7, 64 bit). Results are the same. Later I remembered that you've said "I'm a bit against posting a webplayer" and I thought "Let's see what will happen If I disable the prefab?" and disabled UniSky prefab, built the project again and the web player worked well in full screen without the prefab. So the problem that prevents the web player go full screen is UniSky. Is this a bug?

UniSky works well as standalone: full screen or windowed, and it also works well in web player as long as I don't go full screen.

19. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

@Bluster - The moon is a billboard, so it is designed to always face the camera. If you took the camera really close to it, and out of the dome mesh, then you might notice it rotating with the camera, but at a distance the rotation isn't noticeable at all.

However, I did notice a bug with the fog settings and the moon. The 1.1 patch disabled fog on the sky so that it would blend well at a distance, but I missed the moon shader. So if you're having trouble seeing the moon with fog turned on, you can add this line to MoonShader.shader to fix it - Right under the "Tags { ... } " line:

Fog { Mode Off }

@magneticube - That's odd, and sounds a bit more like a Unity bug than a bug with UniSky.

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit as well, built a webplayer, went fullscreen just fine - then when I came back to the browser, screen went black. I'm going to look into it on UniSky's side... just can't think of any reason, at the moment, that a resolution change would do that. If I can't find anything on my side of the code, I'll probably submit a bug report - theoretically, going full screen shouldn't change anything.

Oh and the reason I didn't post a webplayer is because I'm a little timid about reverse engineering so I just tried to make the videos thorough.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  20. ippdev

ippdev

I can go to fullscreen with web builds or standalones with no issues. With the sky there is an issue in the open sky areas when you have lots of boiling clouds in that a "burn-in" will fringe the edge of the cloud to sky transition where you get a squiggly black line next to a white one that looks like overexposure. Perhaps a clamp somewhere might solve the going out of gamut range. If I knew when they were coming I would put a plasma buzzing sound effect over it, because it kinda fits with the environment:)

A nice addition would also be to allow the Moon object ( objectS hopefully coming) to be offset and not always direct opposite the Sun. I realize you may have to change the billboard to reflect the new angle of incidence on the celestial sphere.. I am wondering if an actual textured sphere can be placed as a Moon Object?...and use your system to move it around?

Best
    BTH

21. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

@Chris,

How are we looking on the weather update? Do you have an ETA in mind? Thanks!

22. jesta

jesta

Is it possible to obtain the sun's position? I'd like to attach a lens flare to the sun (or make a lens flare gameobject follow the sun). Any ideas how I could do this? Thanks.

23. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

@Bluster - I do think it is a good idea to have the ability to not only add extra celestial bodies, but choose their positions as well. I'm still working away on the weather update for the time being, but the patch after that will include some extras.

@adamzeliasz - We will be doing some testing on the weather system this week. I would expect all (most) of the bugs to be worked out and ready for release in 2 weeks, 3 at the most.

@Dwarfius - The sun object is a directional light, so you can add your lens flare to the sun object and set it as directional, and it should work.

:)

24. Alahmnat

Alahmnat

First off, I want to say that this is a really slick system, and I've already got a number of ideas for how to make cool stuff even cooler using it. Also looking forward to the weather update!

I do have a couple of questions/requests though:

1) I'm working on a solar-charged battery in one of my levels, and for obvious reasons, I only want to charge it when the sun is actually up. Unfortunately, I've built my entire project thus far in C#, and Unity gives me errors when I try to access UniSky's JavaScript files through GetComponent, so I can't pull the current time value from the script directly. In the meantime I'm working on using the actual sun's Y rotation value, but some more advanced pointers would be awesome.

Also, on a similar note, is there a way to tell UniSky what time it should be programmatically at runtime (start-up in particular)? This project of mine is also a persistent environment, but it doesn't run on a 24-hour day (long story...), so I can't just use the system time option to keep and set the time (though that is a handy feature).

2) Do you have any plans to expose a way to make more alien-colored skies, like for example Mars's dusty red rather than Earth's bright blue?

Sorry for being one of "those people" ;). It really is a sweet utility!

25. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

@Alahmnat - Thanks for your interest in UniSky! I'll try to answer your questions:

1.) You can access JS objects from C#, but you have to make sure that the compilation order is correct so that the scripts compile before you try to access them. In your case, you want to place UniSky in a folder that is compiled first - such as "Standard Assets" or "Plugins", so that your C# scripts can see UniSky before trying to access it.

This link explains script compilation order: http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/index.Script_compilation_28Advanced29.html

You can use this to control the TIME variable, to make it do whatever you want - if you want some really custom behavior, you'll probably want to disable the defaults in the Update() section of UniSky's main control script.

2.) I may include a simple hue parameter to get some funky colored skies, but I won't be going much further than that.

And "those people" are my favorite kind! - questions and suggestions are what make good products :)

Hope this answers your questions

26. Ashtefere

Ashtefere

Hi Chris.

I will be purchasing unisky later down the track with our project. I have a weather request - I would like the effect of wind whipping up sand (like a desert), and perhaps even heat haze as well.

I guess it would be a wind effect, but up to you how you would implement it.

Thanks

-Ash

27. 3dDude

3dDude

It seems to me like that is more of a particle effect...

28. U2

U2

I'd be curious to know what the "weather" addition will look like actually. I mean right now adjusting the parameters to increase the water in the clouds and making more over cast etc.. already can simulate a lot of weather conditions. Will the new weather addition be different kinds of clouds like thunder heads etc.. or will it be extending the plug-in beyond the sky sphere to something like particle effects such as lower level clouds, fogs etc.. Or will it be a script attached to the camera that is synced up with the sky sphere and produce particles in front of the camera such as rain, snow etc.. when the sky sphere calls for it.

lol or all of the above? =)

no matter what it is I look forward to the update. ^^b

I guess while we are making requests... if it happens to be the effect attached to the player cam a low FPS solution for light to torrential rain would be really helpful =)

29. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

@Ashtefere and #rutecht - The weather addition will be a procedural system for all things weather. It adds a second layer for storm clouds, which will look a bit different. It adds procedural storms, controlled CPU side, that include localized particle effects, sound effects, and wind conditions.

There are a lot of little bells and whistles I'm trying to put in this, like more realistic thunder heads and lightning - I'm trying to work through it as fast as possible :) I will probably post a preview video of the weather update next week, just to let you guys have an idea of where UniSky is headed.

30. 3dDude

3dDude

Hmmmmm, I like lightning =)

I am wondering how you plan on doing this?
    Just a tip on rain:

Instead of creating 1 particle for each drop make a texture with about 50 drops on it and motion blur it. so that it looks like lines facing right.

Then put it on large stretched particles in unity and it looks fab :D

You can see what it looks like hear:

http://img208.imageshack.us/i/rainr.png/

31. U2

U2

woot! @ next week demo

Soon as the weather is implemented Unity 3.2 comes out I think I'll make a demo video of my current project.. ships at stormy sea with the Ocean community project + New Pro Water + Unisky Weather. Can't wait to see the end result. So far with a 16k poly galleon, rolling waves Unisky I can manage about 160 - 180 FPS still which I think is excellent. Hopefully with weather on full I can still keep it over 100.

32. ippdev

ippdev

Hi Chris. Got the Moon above a temple in the round kind of set up. It looks great with the clouds boiling. I would like to make it bigger but there is an issue with it "popping" once the center gets out of or comes back into the frustum. I assume this is a billboard issue. I would perhaps like to replace it with an actual mapped sphere and still use the apparent orbital motion. Have any pointers or planning a way to place an object instead of a billboard?

TIA
    BTH

33. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

@Bluster - I'm going to add a solution to the moon billboard disappearing in the next update - trying to look for some way to disable fustum culling on the moon object, but if I can't I'll be defining the moon's bounds in a script so it doesn't cull it prematurely.

For now, if you want to have a 3d object instead of the billboard, you can just create your 3d planet and assign its position to the moon billboard's position. You can find this position in the update function in Moon.js. Just make sure your moon object is scaled large enough to be seen at such a far distance.

34. SirLancelot

SirLancelot

I've bought UniSky some days ago and it is good so far but I have some questions...

1. Is it possible to add some keyframe-like function so we can set different settings for each hour of day? I mean like this one: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/74413-Just-realistic-and-cheap-realtime-sky. It would be great if I could have better control over the day/night cycle.

2. Is it possible to make days a bit longer? I mean in combination with the current timer implementation...

Thank you!

35. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

@SirLancelot - Thanks, I'll try to answer your questions:

1.) Instead of keyframing, we are currently implementing a procedural weather system. Instead of having fine-tune static control over the clouds, as in keyframing, the weather will be dynamic so that each day follows a trend, but is unique for every 24-hour cycle. This is what our weather update is based on - unique skies with little effort.

2.) To make the days longer, you just have to alter the speed of time slider. If you want more customization than this, to make daytime longer and nighttime shorter or vice-versa, just control this variable in the script with some math - or hook up the TIME variable with your own custom speed of time implementation.

Hope this answers your questions :)

36. SirLancelot

SirLancelot

Yes it does - thank you very much! It sounds fantastic! I'm looking forward to the new weather update!

37. Paaske

Paaske

Hi Chris

I've just purchased the UniSky package and I am having some problems getting up an running. When I import the UniSky package and open the Example Project everything seem to work just fine as shown in the image below (at time 12)

If I create a new scene with a simple terrain, a standard first person character controller with far clip plane set to 10000 and drag in the UniSky prefab my sky looks like the following image

I have gone through the various UniSky settings and they seem to be identical. Am I missing something here?

/Kasper

38. HolBol

HolBol

Change your ambient lighting, maybe :)?

39. Paaske

Paaske

Hi Fishman92

I tried that and it did nothing. I wouldn't think that the ambient light would influence the color of the sky anyway - that wouldn't make very much sence.

But thanks for the suggestion :)

40. houndie

houndie

Make sure you drag the prefab into the Tree window not into the View window, I was getting similar issues that were fixed when I did that as per help from Chris.

41. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

@Paaske - One other thing to make sure of: go to your camera, make sure the "clear flags" is set to "solid color", and your "background" color is set to black. Let me know if this helps

42. Paaske

Paaske

Hi Chris
    That did the trick - now it seems to work just fine. Looking forward to explore your amazing system more in depth. Thanks a lot for the fast feedback.

/Kasper

43. U2

U2

Just an idea in regards to thunderheads, cumulus clouds etc.. I was sitting in my car today watching the clouds go buy and comparing the real thing to what I have setup with Unisky in my project. I noticed it seams that often when one looks toward the horizon it seems the clouds are denser and taller looking where as if you look straight up it's more like the Unisky effect. The weather I would describe as being fair.

It makes me wonder if it wouldn't be worth adding a layer for horizon weather. I think often it looks more cloudy on the horizon because we are looking more horizontally and the clouds tend to stack on each other, especially when they are low. Just an idea anyways... will be interesting to see the weather implementation as it may account for this in it's own way anyways..

44. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

More details will be released soon with a video, but the weather is split into two levels. When a "front" moves in, global wind and cloud cover picks up, and individual storm cells are produced. These storm cells are on their own layer, and so give me a bit more freedom to change their appearance. I'm experimenting with different looks, and I bet this will be one of the things I continue to improve with future weather updates.

The storm cells are localized, so you'll see them in the distance (along with distant rain effects) and if they reach local to the camera, all hell breaks lose :) The front will bring light rain and wind globally, but if the storm cell reaches the vicinity of the camera, it can get a bit scary.

45. U2

U2

You know I think you are my favorite internet person ^^b

By the way current Unisky plus new pro water = hot The sun sets now are just incredible. Can't wait to see the weather with it.

46. houndie

houndie

Chris dude thats gonna be awesome !!! I cannot wait till you release that update for us :)

47. U2

U2

Hey I don't know if you plan on implementing lightning or not but if you do it'd be cool if you could throw in an array variable in the options where we could put a list of thunder audio files. Then loudness and distance ratio variables so we can tweak it.

Basic concept.. when ever a lightning bolt is fired off it'd factor in your position to the strike's position and based on the two ratio variables play a random audio file from the list with the distance effecting the pause between strike and playing the file and the loudness for how loud the audio file is played.

This way you could see a bolt in the distance and a little later here a soft rumble. But if it strikes close to you it'd be a near instant thunder clap.

Just another idea =)

I'd also be curious to know if there is a way we can tell if our player is in weather or not? I'd like to make the ocean shader get all stormy during those times if possible.

48. wicked208

wicked208

unisky problems in unity 3.2, it was work well in 3.1 but now, lots of errors like this:

Material doesn't have a texture property '_NoiseTexture'
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Material doesn't have a texture property '_IllumReference'
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

49. Chris Morris

Chris Morris

@wicked208 - interesting, I haven't run into any problems with 3.2 yet. Well I have, but nothing to do with UniSky. I'll look into this when I get home.

50. Larsa334

Larsa334

Great work!!!

Just curious,do you use a windzone to control the wind or is it all custom script?