Search Unity

UniRPG Tile Ed

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Leslie-Young, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

and please backup your scene before using this feature, just in case ;)

2. wokka

wokka

Out of curiosity, how long does it take the store to update with the new version? Thanks. :D

3. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

About 3 work days, but it can be longer depending on how many submissions they have to work through.

4. Redz0ne

Redz0ne

This is looking like a really worthwhile investment.

Though, when it comes to the prefabs you make with this, i'm guessing there is no limit, correct? (as in, if i wanted to make a collection of 25+ different "wall" sections, i can, right?)

Also, is it possible to have larger plate geometry in the prefabs? so, say i wanted to make a room with gentler curves, there would be a brush preset that has a 2x2, single geometry chunk that fits in the 2x2 area? or would this be more a collection of different wall segments (so, two different "inner corner" sections and one different "outer corner" section to give an approximation of the 2x2 curved wall effect.)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  5. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Have a look at the documentation and videos, linked in the first post, to get a better idea of what can be done with this. What is shown there is what can be done and the kind of tiles pieces that can be used. The auto-tiles are very specific as to which kind of pieces they want but there is also the normal tiles placement tools which could be used to place anything else that has the tilepiece component on it.

6. mutazalhawash

mutazalhawash

woow very interesting tool :D wondering if there is a trial version so i can give it a try :D

7. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

sorry, there is no trial verison available.

8. chansey97

chansey97

Hi Leslie Young,

I have bought your unirpg, that's great.

But I found a bug when I use terrain 13 tile system (4 types, one is floor, others are wall corner1 and corner2).

I created 12 models in 3dsmax and each type has 4 direction models.

I created PrefabDB, and added 13 models (1 + 12 models) for auto-tiles, then I found the result is wrong. (tile's direction is wrong)

In have found some clue:
    in unirpg's example, you created 13 models like me
    _sources\Terrain2\corner1_*(1-4)
    _sources\Terrain2\corner2_*(1-4)
    _sources\Terrain2\wall*(1-4)
    _sources\Terrain2\floor

but the prefab which use the _source models above has been rotated by you.....

why? Is this a bug in unirpg?

Thanks

My environment is Win7 + Unity3.5.6 + UniRPG v1.7g

9. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Just check that is it the same as the prefabs' rotations. There was a bug where two tiles pieces (I think it where corners) where swapped around but I've fixed that. The source files might still be rotated wrongly to accomodate this bug (since they where created back when that system was added), but the prefab tile pieces will be rotated correctly to reflect what the prefabDB expects now.

10. chansey97

chansey97

In my opinion, when auto tile in 13-tile system, the prefab shouldn't be rotated......
    (In 4-tile system, they should be rotated since they are symmetry.)

Now I found auto tile will be rotated even though they are in 13 tile system....

Is my opinion correct?

Thanks.

11. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Yes, the tiles should not be rotated. PM me with some screenshots to better explain thje problem you are having, or perhaps you can share the prefabs/fbx files of these with me sop that I can test them on my side.

12. chansey97

chansey97

I have PM you.
    (But how to send it to you? Do you have an e-mail?)

---------
    This issue has been fixed in v1.8 by Leslie Young.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  13. wokka

wokka

I still don't see 1.8 in the Asset Store, but it seems like chansey97 was able to get it? Any suggestions on how to get 1.8?

Also, is there a way to move a map between scenes? I tried making the map into a prefab, but it loses its connection to the prefabDB. Thanks.

14. chansey97

chansey97

Unity takes a while to moderate updates

15. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I've made a few bug fixes and each time I submitted the package went to the back of the moderation queue. Hopefully it will be up before the end of the week.

Your PrefabDb.. is it in the scene or a prefab? You can obviously not access a prefab db from a scene that is closed, so you db needs to be a prefab too.

16. wokka

wokka

Ok. When I changed made the PrefabDB into a prefab and created a new map using the prefab, it worked. By worked, I mean I created the map, made it a prefab, deleted it from the scene, and dropped the prefab into the scene again. After following those steps, the map's connection to the prefabDB was preserved.

My new question is if there is a way to change an existing map to point to the prefab PrefabDB instead of the one in the scene? Thanks.

17. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Only the map needs to be in a scene to edit it, since it needs the scene view, but you cna also make that into a prefab and just hit "apply" in the insepctor to apply changes to the prefab of the map. The ideal is to create a db, make it into a prefab, and from there on edit the tilesets in the prefab of the db and use that prefab when making new maps.

[edit] there is not a way to make an existing map point to a new db.

18. Redz0ne

Redz0ne

Just got it, going to be running it through it's paces... one last thing:

Do you have a facebook account with this listed on it? i'm wanting to know so that i can link it via my own game-dev account. If this does what i hope it can do (as in, making tiles to use for a random dungeon generation system) then this is definately going to make it into my game (if not i'm sure i can find a use for it in another project... one thing i've learned, us game-devs tend to have a bazillion ideas of games we'd like to make. :p)

Oi, this is one long thread... Though... if i might ask a question pertaining to it's use.

I'm curious how you would approach this to make sets of tiles like hallways, hallways with doors, corners, etc... kinda like the chunks you'd see in a rogue-like game. is there a best practice or is it a simple thing to just grab the tiles that the map maker system places and drop them into an empty game object and use that as the tile prefab?

just want to make sure i'm doing this in an as-best-as-possible way that i can.

And if the system as it is isn't really meant to do that, would it be too presumptuous to request a function in there that will grab what's on the map in terms of tiles, collect them and turn them into a prefab tile kinda thing?

P.s. liking it so far! it works nicely with the tiles i've modeled in anticipation of using this system.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  19. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

The clostest this system comes to supporting such "chunks" is the copy/paste system. I have no plans on adding this chunk prefabs feature though since I'm very bussy on a new project.

If you where gonna generate the map from chunks then why not just have tiles as big as a chunk? So rather than placing induvidual tiles, you are placing whole junks. You loose the auto-tiles system but can then optimise chunks better. I'm obvioulsy making assumptions about your design and this might not be feasible. But ye.. no plans for saving whole sections off as prefabs. Have a look at that copy/paste system, maybe you could adapt something from it.

20. Detocroix

Detocroix

Excellent tool kit. Thank you very much!

There's weird issue with the Plops on Unity 4.x version of the tool. I'm able to add tiles to the TileSets I create, but I'm unable to add objects to the PlopSets. When I add new prop and set object to the new "empty" slot, it doesn't get added there. Not by drag and dropping and not by using the browser from the empty slot. Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks!

21. sefou

sefou

Hi Detocroix,
    simply add Component Ploppable to your object.

22. emmanuellmota

emmanuellmota

Leslie, I'm having problems when trying to use UniRPG, I am not able to drag the objects to the PrefabDB, it reports the following error: "not a valid tilepiece prefab", I've read here on the forum about this error and to resolve would be just extract the "for_Unity4" but I did it and it keeps giving error.
    I am using Unity 4 in Windows 7 x 64. And congratulations for the great Asset.

Screenshots

23. Detocroix

Detocroix

Ah yeah! That's right. Forgot that step :)

24. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Did you add the Plop component (script) to the objects you wish to use there?

25. emmanuellmota

emmanuellmota

26. sefou

sefou

Hi emmanuellmota,

in your case , you must use component TilePiece for yours objects.

27. emmanuellmota

emmanuellmota

Hi sefou, thx! Solved now :D

28. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Sorry guys.. I got my replies mixed up :p
    Thanks sefou ;)

29. MickMoretti

MickMoretti

Hey Leslie,

So I'm having a problem...

I was trying to use at home, using Unity 4 and was having the same problem as emmanuellmota, but having seen above I can try the fix for that.

I've tried at work, where I have Unity Pro v 3.4.0f5 installed.

i think it has to do with Unity Pro (sorry if this has been mentioned above, I couldn't find anything...

But when I create my PrefabDB, I get a console error:

MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility.get_isProSkin'.

The prefabDB window is also completely blank... :\

Any help would be great!!

Thanks
    -Mick

30. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Ye, nothing will work, or only partially, when you get script errors.
    Can you pelase post the exact error message so that I got script names and line numbers to go by and check.
    I'm thinking Unity 3.4 is too old though and that function was not yet defined in Unity. I've tested on Unity 3.5 and unity 4.

31. MickMoretti

MickMoretti

Sure, here it is:

MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility.get_isProSkin'.
    UniRPGEditor.UniRPGEditorBase.CheckGUISkin () (at d:/Work/Unity AS/UniRPG Tile Ed/_UniRPG_Assemblies/UniRPGEditor/UniRPGEditorBase.cs:79)
    UniRPGEditor.PrefabDBEditor.OnGUI () (at d:/Work/Unity AS/UniRPG Tile Ed/_UniRPG_Assemblies/UniRPGEditor/PrefabDBEditor.cs:83)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)

Do you assume a newer version is necessary?

32. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Yes, that error is telling me that UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility does not contain that property/variable so I can only assume it does not exist in your version of the engine.

33. laapsaap

laapsaap

Its not working I tried everything but it just says "not a valid tilepiece prefab". And I am using the latest version of Unity and Unirpg.

I expected a readme or install doc.

34. laapsaap

laapsaap

Nevermind found the solution few pages back in this thread. Is this in the documentation? How could I know how to get it to work.

35. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Yes, it is mentioned in \UniRPG Tile Ed\Assets\UniRPG TileEd\Documentation\UniRPG_Making_Tiles.pdf under "Introduction".

36. John-Lee-CN

John-Lee-CN

Hi guy. I have problem as u : not a valid tilepiece prefab .
    How do u clear this problem ,can u talk me ? ths

37. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Please see my post just above yours.

38. laapsaap

laapsaap

Yes but it isnt clear that I needed to do that for existing prefabs, because one would assume those default prefabs just work.

Anyways its working now and I am very pleased, just deciding if I am going to replace probuilder with this ;)

But what is the best practice for til textures, I have a huge tile textures atlas with 36 tiles on it. But I couldnt figure out a way how to fix the UV/tiling

39. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I used to have it on those prefabs until I decided to totally remove the DLLs cause people where having too many problems when uinsg Unity 4 and not having extracted the DLLS for Unity 4 or the prefabs being made in Unity 3. Now you are forced to choose to import the one or other when installing the package and I cannot attach the component to these prefabs since there is no TilePiece component until the DLLs are installed.

Are you talking about using the textures on the sample tile art? I guess you would have to edit the UVs in your 3d tool (just import the FBX). The sample prefabs are just that, samples. I do not expect them to be used in games and they are not optimised at all. They really are just there to give you an idea of how to use the system and to have something you can look at in the editor or 3D tool to see how the pivots are setup when making your own tiles.

40. chansey97

chansey97

Dear, Leslie Young

I heard that you will remove the DLLs.

So I have 2 problems now

1. Have you some schedule for this plan?

2. After that It will cause old project lose tile-info from Map? For example: tile index in map.

Thanks.

41. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I will be doing that for version 3 when I get around to working on that. V3 will quite different from v2 but the way I plan on making it would not require tile info or a prefabdb anyway, so technically it would be compatible.

This is not something that will happen soon though. I am working on a big new project to be released on the asset store and this project will keep me bussy for a few months still.

42. Stormryder

Stormryder

Can you turn a Map into a prefab. I dragged the Map into a prefab, and it shows in game, but when I clicked on the prefab in the object folder, there are errors. I guess I'm trying to see what's the best way to load maps dynamically. What's the intended way for maps to be loaded?

43. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

You are trying to make a prefab of a map that is referencing a non-prefab PrefabDB. There is no way the prefab map can access such a PrefabDB and that is what the errors are about when you try to inspect it.

First make a prefab of your PrefabDB, delete the one in the scene (since you can still edit the prefab version of it), and then make the map and drag the prefab version of PrefabDB into the PrefabDB field of the Create Map window.

The system was not build with what you have in mind but I can't see why it would not work if you do what I explained above.

44. Stormryder

Stormryder

Works now.. Thanks.

45. RelentlessMetronome

RelentlessMetronome

Error: "Not a valid TilePiece Prefab"

Using Unity 4

I have:
    - Extracted the DLL files from the "for Unity 4" package
    - Put them in the correct places in the UniRPG TileEd directory structure (over writing the DLLs that were there before)
    - Attempted to add the prefab objects supplied in the project to the tileset

There is no ZIP file with DLLs in it as is noted in the documentation file.

This is extremely frustrating. Could you please make a clear and full check list of everything I need to do to get this set up and working, or advise me what other information I need to provide you in order to diagnose the issue.

Thank you.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  46. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

from the documentation ;)

47. RelentlessMetronome

RelentlessMetronome

Ok, got it, thank you. There is no way to ship it with that script attached to the supplied tiles???

48. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Nope. The TilePiece component does not exist until the one or the other set of DLLs are extracted. If I where to use the Unity 3 DLLs by default and make prefabs with its TilePiece component then things would be even more of a mess for Unity 4 users since they would see "missing script" error on the prefab after extracting and overwriting the unity 3 related dll.

49. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

You can save the room (map) as prefab as long s the PrefabDb that the map is linked with is a prefab too and not one in a scene.

Using the room as a tile, technically. yea, it should be possible if you put a TilePiece component onto that prefab. Just keep in mind that all tiles need to be same size so all your rooms will need to fit into a certain space on your "big" map. Ofcourse this could all fall apart horribly since the system do not expect to be used like this.

Sorry, there are only normal and lower level support when drawing dungeon maps. A work around is to create a second map that is positioned over the 1st to paint upper tiles onto.

50. Paniku

Paniku

I'm interested in buying UniRPG, but was wondering if it's able to combine the meshes/colliders of the map? That's the only thing stopping me from buying it right now. I could just not attach colliders to the tiles and, after I finish painting the map, manually add them in, but it would be far easier if UniRPG was able to combine them together. Can it do this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.