Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

UniRPG Tile Ed

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Leslie-Young, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alex-taras

alex-taras

Yes, they are on Clamp by default. So you managed to replicate that as well? I'll wait for their next release, it's not such a big issue for development. By the way, happens for mobile and hd versions of the tiles so maybe it's indeed the size.

[EDIT]Also, any plans of ceiling support for non isometric/topdown usage?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  2. MatthiasAndre

MatthiasAndre

Hi Alex, if you're using the mobile version of the assets swap the 1024 texture out with the following https://dl.dropbox.com/u/325876/dungeon_texture_mobile/dungeon_set_01_atlas_1024.tga and let me know how you go. If you're still having issues email us at sales@bitgem3d.com and we'll sort it out for you.

3. sburgoon

sburgoon

Any eta on the copy-paste visualization fix for maps with other tile sizes than 1? Just wanted to check on it in case it fell off the radar. Thanks.

-Sean

4. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

ai.. I knew I forgot something. Submitting the update now.

5. TonyP

TonyP

Hi, I have an issue when I try to paint tiles in the editor.

I create a prefabDB, assign all the dungeon tiles as instructed in your video.
    I then create a map and assign the prefabDB. I see the map gismo in the scene view but I can't paint.

I've tried just about everything to correct. I've also tried both your tiles and the bitgem tiles. Created a new project with nothing but uniRPG in it, all with no luck and no errors in the console.

I'm using unity 4 and have updated unity4 files per the documentation.

Thoughts appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  6. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Are you getting errors and can yo upelase post them here. Look in the Unity Console (Ctr+Shift+C on windows) for red messages.

7. TonyP

TonyP

I'm on a mac. No errors in the unity console

8. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Can you please test with the included samples scenes and see if those work. If they do then you are doing something wrong when you are setting up your pefabdb/map. If the test scene swork then try by making a new scene and map and using the existing prefabdb prefab and check if that works.
    Watch for any errors as you go along as one script error can cause everything to stop working.

If you are using Unity 4 make sure that you extracted the DLLs made for unity 4 correctly (inclduded in documentation folder). I know of previous customers who had problems because they did not extract correctly on the mac - it deleted the scripts that where in the folders being extracted to - weird OS that. You should have 4 .cs scripts in \Assets\UniRPG TileEd\Editor\Scripts plus the DLL and MDB file.

9. TonyP

TonyP

I tried the supplied scenes ans still cannot paint tiles. When I click on the map, I dont get the same inspector you have in the video. I don't see the toggle edit mode.

Screenshots...

Attached Files:

10. TonyP

TonyP

Sorry, my bad. The scripts you mentioned had been replaced and I only had the dll's. Now fixed.

11. atmuc

atmuc

@leslie is there any way to set ceiling?

also it looks it will easy to use stairs but you haven't used it on your videos. can we use stairs?

is there any platform restriction like flash?

12. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Ceilings can be added by making them part of the floor-tile prefab. Just make non-ceiling floors where you do not want it.

Stairs can be painted if you add them to the normal tiles sets, similar to archways, doors, etc. The Dungeon painter just do nto have the oncept of paining on different levels. It can only paint a normal floor level and a lower level if the tleset is set as lwoer. The Terrain painter can paint on different levels. But yeah, you can add anything you want to the normal tile-sets area and paint those things.

I imagine you could paint a stair and then add a trigger so that when you player reaches it a new scene is laoded, or he is transported to a another map somewhere else in the scene or you might even have several dungeon maps layered over each other.

There should not be any restrictions. The tool is basically just placing gameobject/prefabs for you and not doing anything funny. The restrictions you might run into will have to do with how many tiles a mobile device can handle since there is no auto mesh or texture combining.

13. Sharandra

Sharandra

I´m working on a dungeon with vaulted ceilings. Making the ceiling part of the walls wasn´t an option in my case. But I found, it works just fine to paint them as normal tiles on a second map above the walls :)
    Depending on the ceiling you could even paint them as autotiles to make use of the randomization. It requires something to be used as a floor tile tho.

But I´m still having the problem with the cursor not matching an offset map, even with the latest update.

Oh and thx for adding the wireframe toggle! :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  14. atmuc

atmuc

@leslie product description says full c# source code included. in package content there is unirpgeditor.dll. what is it?

15. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

@Sharandra, PM me with details about your map setup, like size, where you moved it to, etc. so we can work this bug out.

@atmuc, the source code (and visual studio project) is in \Assets\UniRPG TileEd\Documentation\UniRPG_Source.zip

16. Jaimi

Jaimi

@Leslie - I upgraded to the latest version, but when I did the maps and prefabdb objects got messed up. They both say "Missing (MonoScript)" on them. I can create a new PrefabDB, and a new map, and they will work. When I try to select the old scripts to "reattach" them, it will not show up in the browser, I suppose because they are in the DLL. How can I fix my current maps and prefabdb? This is a disaster for my project.

17. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Jaimi,
    Restore from your backups or you can manually fix the missing links by selecting the scripts for those fields. Click the little circle of the Script field and select Map for maps and PrefabDB for rpefab db (from popup). You can also expand Assets/UniRPG TileEd/Scripts/UniRPGRuntime to see Map and PrefabDB components there and drag them over to the script field of the oject with missing script./

Which version of Unity are you using and on which OS are you working?

18. Jaimi

Jaimi

I am using Unity 4 on OSX 10.8, which is why I assume the problem happened. Importing the bad 3.5 dll's into the project caused an error, disassociating the scripts from the components somehow. Unity would not show the missing scripts in the browser until I manually drilled down and opened the DLL. After that I was able to repair the components by clicking the circle and selecting them from the browser.

I believe in the future, I will need to be more careful when importing this package. Ie - unselecting the DLL's so they don't overwrite the older ones, and then manually moving the 4.0 versions from the zip file.

19. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Yes, good idea. I wanted to suggest that you grab the latest version of Tile Ed via a temp project but your way is simpler. I was actually thinking of creating an update for Tile Ed that does not use DLLs (I've learned a lot about editor scriptig since creating Tile Ed and now with my new project) but I'm afraid it will break everyone's scenes, so I'll delay that idea until I'm ready to do more to Tile Ed than just making a non-DLL version (to make it worth the big upgrade).

Btw, I've just submitted an update that fixes the offset problems that Sharandra was having, so you can test your idea :)

20. hoishing

hoishing

Hi I am using Tile Ed 1.7c with Unity 4.0.1 on Mac. I got a problem that the "Clear" plop not functioning. It has no error message while using it, it just cannot delete the existing plop. What can I do?

21. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

There is no "clear" plop.
    Exit the map editing mode and then you can simpluy click on plops and hit delete. You can also move them and do anything else you could normally do on gameobjects inside the scene view.

The plop part of Tile Ed is just an addition to make initial placement of these objects easier since it can allign them to the tiles and grid. After that you can edit them any way you like.

22. atmuc

atmuc

can i change map height after i created it?

23. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Sure, just click on "toggle edit mode" so that the map tool releases the scene view then you can use the transform tool to move the map wherever you want. Note that plops are in their own parent obejct so set that to use the same position as the map.

24. atmuc

atmuc

i used wrong words :) i wanted to say "tile height". for underground you say we should set it 1.4. i set it 1 and build my scene. now i want to set it as 1.4

25. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

The tile-height you set in the "create map" window should be whatever your lower tile's wall height is so that they snap properly to the upper floors. 1.4 was just wat my samples used and a way to show it does ot have to be 1 like the tile size.

You can also move tiles around after they where placed with the tile editor, just don't delete them manually else Tile Ed will get upset as you might accidently break links with tile-pieces that Tile Ed then can't track and auto delete if needed (like when using auto-tile to paint).

26. atmuc

atmuc

if my lower tiles height is 1.4 and i set tile height accidentally 1 on map creation, is there any way to change it to 1.4? or i have to delete map and recreate it?

27. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

There is no way to change it after map creation.

28. Davlin

Davlin

Hi Leslie,

Today I bought Dungeon Starter Set and UniRPG tile ed.

I made all steps from tutorial, but got this message: "not a valid tilepiece prefab"?

What I am doing wrong?

29. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

The 1st thing would be to tell me if you are seeing any red error messages in the console.
    Which version of Unity and OS are you using?

Anything can be made into a tile prefab by simply putting the TilePiece component onto it and not doing that would be about the only reason you got that error message, except if you had way worse errors going on in the scripts - which will show up as messages in the console..

30. Davlin

Davlin

I am using Unity Pro 4.0 and Mac OS 10.8.2.

I have no red errors.

I have done all steps from tutorial to set-up plugin for Unity 4.0

And still I can't put in any prefabs.

Please help.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  31. Davlin

Davlin

So how can I fix my problem?

32. Jaimi

Jaimi

Add a "TilePiece" component to the prefab. That's all it takes.

33. atmuc

atmuc

NOTE: Use the DLLs from "for_unity4.zip" if you are using Unity 4
    See UniRPG_Ed_Doc.pdf for more info

34. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Like atmuc said, extract the DLLs made for Unity 4. The default DLLs are for Unity 3.5. But I think you have done this since you say you are not getting any error messages - you would get errors if you where using the wrong DLLs.

Then it is a simple matter of adding the TilePiece component on a prefab to turn it into a prefab that the Tile Ed's PrefabDB will accept. Click on the prefab, then go Menu -> Components -> UniRPG Tile Ed -> TIlePiece.

35. Davlin

Davlin

I did all this steps. And prefabs from UniRPG TileED folder works great.

But when I try to use prefabs from "Dungeon_Walls_Floor(Mobile)" I get this message again: "Not a valid Tile Piece Prefab".

36. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Please attach a screenshot of the inspector view for ""Dungeon_Walls_Floor(Mobile)"

37. Davlin

Davlin

38. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I need to see the INSPECTOR panel for the mentioned object so that I can see what its properties are like and why it won't work.

Any of the prefabs inside that folder will do.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  39. Davlin

Davlin

40. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

You do not have the TilePiece component on that prefab so Tile Ed's PrefabDB will not accept it. Please follow the instructions I've posted just a few posts ago.

Note that you can also select multiple prefabs and then add the component on all of them at once.

41. Davlin

Davlin

Oh, I thought I need to put TilePiece on PrefabDB...
    I am dumb...
    Thanks!

42. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Please remove it from the prefabDb object if it is on it now so that it does not cause further problems.

43. Davlin

Davlin

44. atmuc

atmuc

default dungeon set tiles add many drawing calls per tile to scene. can you check it? i built my own expandable set. it adds 2 draw calls for all of my tiles. with your dungeon set little map cause over 500 draw call. do i build dungeon set wrong? can you check your draw calls?

45. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

The samples that you get with the package are just samples and not optimised at all. I do not expect that poor attempt at programmer art to be used in games ;)

46. atmuc

atmuc

they can be simple but they are a reference of your product :) as long as i use your product i love it more. it is exactly what i want even i will not use it for RPG :) i can share my set with you so you can add it to your package. by the way i am also programmer :)

47. atmuc

atmuc

i set my expanding tile set with 6 tiles. i click map and add the first tile. it is empty. it is not my "single" tile. when i right click this tile i can delete it.

i delete all tiles. i add 2 neighbourhood tiles to map. it adds 2 "end" tiles. when i right click these tiles i cannot delete them.

also i add more tiles and i cannot delete them.

is it normal?

48. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

No, something sounds very wrong there. When you say delete you are talking abnout using the mouse right-click option and not manually deleting the tile gameobject? The correct way is to delete the tile with the mouse so that the linking can be updated in the map object.

Can you perhaps PM me with screenshots of how you get to these problems? Also check that you do not have any error messages in the unity console. Whenever yo usee red there you should worry and fix that 1st. Does the "Dirt Patch" set from the sample prefabDb work for you?

49. atmuc

atmuc

i get following errors when i right click;

ArgumentException: GUILayout: Mismatched LayoutGroup.Repaint
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type LayoutType) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/812c4f5049264fad/Runtime/ExportGenerated/Editor/GUILayoutUtility.cs:164)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/812c4f5049264fad/Editor/MonoGenerated/Editor/EditorGUI.cs:3964)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/812c4f5049264fad/Editor/MonoGenerated/Editor/EditorGUI.cs:3960)
    UniRPGEditor.MapInspectorBase.OnInspectorGUI () (at d:/work-dev/Unity AS/UniRPG Tile Ed (Unity 4)/_UniRPG_Assemblies/UniRPGEditor/MapInspectorBase.cs:520)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditors (Boolean isRepaintEvent, UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, Boolean eyeDropperDirty) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/812c4f5049264fad/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:863)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Unexpected top level layout group! Missing GUILayout.EndScrollView/EndVertical/EndHorizontal?
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

50. atmuc

atmuc

when i select "tiles" i can delete. when i select "auto-tiles" i cannot delete.

on scene it always says "tile mapping inactive"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.