Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UniRPG Tile Ed

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Leslie-Young, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. artician

artician

Ouch. That means every side of a texture has to be tilable with every side of every other texture, regardless of relative orientation. That is such a severely limiting problem it makes the feature unusable for the majority of instances, because only in a few very rare circumstances would a pattern look okay this way.

Can you suggest something else? Maybe I can create 4 tile sets for the terrain, for N, W, E and S? Otherwise just having a 9-tile set for terrain would fix all potential issues. :(

Yeah, it seems that a tool in my current project is interfering with UniRPG. A new project resolved the issue, so that seems okay...

Thanks.

2. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Maybe I'm not understanding the problem correctly.
    The floor piece should tile on its N,E,S,W sides to neighbouring floor pieces. The Wall must tile at its top and bottom with floor pieces and to the sides with other wall pieces and corner's sides and the Corner pieces must tile with floors at the top and bottom and with walls and other corners on teh side.Maybe PM me and we can discuss this further over email and you can send me some sample art to explain the problem better.

3. Dreo

Dreo

@Leslie Young
    Thank you for the update. You are quick! : D

1)
    I'm having trouble with large maps, eg 100x100.
    Running is great, but editing is very slow, is there any way of editing large maps so do not be so heavy?

2)
    One suggestion is 3dModels packages already compatible with UNIRpg to sell separately. I'd buy for sure!

4. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

1) Not sure I understand what is slow. I've just made a 100x100 grid map and editing seems fine. Perhaps a stronger computer might help :p I work on an i5 with 16Gb RAM. I can't see that placing new tiles on a huge map with lotsa tiles would make it that much slower cause the code don't need to touch parts of the map it is not being edit. So if it slows donwn then perhaps it is cause of things I can;t control, like the number of gameobjects beimg placed in the scene. Remember that each tile is stil la gameobject and you have 100 times 100 of these objects if you filled the map with floor pieces.

2) This is one kit that is compatible with UniRPG out of the box. That is; the puvots for tiles and plops are correct and you just need to add the Tile or Plop scripts to the existing prefabs and add the set to the PrefabDB. All the tiles is correctly named so that you know what is a pillar, corner1, corner2, etc, It can also be sued without UniRPG. http://u3d.as/content/bitgem/dungeon-builder-starter-kit/3rH

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  5. Dreo

Dreo

1) Got it, thanks.
    2) Good kit, but also wanted others! Nature, Montains perhaps Cities (houses without load with Dugeon System like Ultima Online .Hehe)** , what do you think?

-------
    In Unity4 no more error,but to create the map he did not see the PrefaDB , then does not create. :<

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  6. artician

artician

7. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Having other kits sound great, but I am no artist :) It is up to artists to create them art packs. Maybe place some requests on the forum as to what kind of art you are inetrrested in.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the last message because I just created a new map and it accepted both the existing sample prefabdb prefab and a new one I made.

I'd also recommend that you right click and import the "Editor" and the "Scripts" directories right after you extracted the DLLs so that Unity gets refreshed there.

I found a little bug and perhaps this is what you are refering to. When you only create normal tiles you wil lfind that you cannot place them. Go and make an empty Auto-Tile set and everything should work fine again. You can later remove this auto-tile set if you create actual auto-tiles.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  8. drewradley

drewradley

This is awesome! I have been using vertex snapping to create dungeons and it takes a long time. With this tool, I can crank one out in a fraction of the time - even though my tiles don't work for auto-tile (they work great for regular tiles though). Would love more options for the auto-tile such as only having walls and floors and no corners (i.e. the walls snap together to make the corners) . I'm making a mobile RPG and don't want all those extra polygons that are hidden and in the corners so I am using a flat plain for the floors and two plains stuck together for the walls.

Of all the tools I've bought over the years to speed up game development, this one, by far, is the best to boost productivity!

9. RandomCharacters

RandomCharacters

I bought both you unirpg and dungeon starter kit. I am using unity 4. When I drag a prefab from the project folder to the uniRPG window, I get the error: 'not a valid tilepiece prefab". It does not allow me to put stud into the prefabDB screen. I am assuming there is some conversion I am missing here.

10. RandomCharacters

RandomCharacters

Another problem. I have unity 4 with windows7.

I create prefabdb,
    I click auto-tile sets
    create
    add new tile

I drag on of unityRPG prefabs that came with the addon into one of the 4 tile slots. I get a black screen that won't close.

it just has a tab with 'prefabDB'on it.

11. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Any error messages in your console and did you extract the Unity 4 specific DLLs to the correct path? Check teh readme/dox on where to find the DLLs and where to place 'em.

12. Dreo

Dreo

@Leslie Young

1) what video card you use?

2) you think it is feasible to create maps 300x300?
    We are creating a mmo, 300x300 is the minimum for approximately 20 people per map.

13. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I'm using an HD5870

I suppose 300x300 can work. The limiting factor will be your system during edit time and your players' systems while they play.
    You will have to look at optimizations that can be applied, like occlusion culling.

This is just a tool to help speed up the painting of maps and does not do optimizations for you.

14. Dreo

Dreo

Understood! Many thanks for your help!

15. RandomCharacters

RandomCharacters

"Any error messages in your console and did you extract the Unity 4 specific DLLs to the correct path? Check teh readme/dox on where to find the DLLs and where to place 'em. "

Yes, I took the forunity4 dlls and copied them over tot he directories you indicated. It still crashes. Any ideas?

16. Jaimi

Jaimi

This is behaving strangely when you have more than one map, or you move a map. To illustrate the problem, create a new map in a new scene. Draw on the map. In the inspector panel, collapse the Map Script component, and select thr transform tool, and move the map. Now draw again. The new map items are placed where the map used to be, not where it is now.

17. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

@Jaimi, I'll look into it.

@wheretheidivides, can you PM me to discuss your problem further because I can't reproduce this error on my side. Please include detailed steps, for example,
    1) create prefabdb
    2) create auto-tile set (what kind? terrain or dungeon?)
    3) create new tle
    4) drag piece to the new tile - to which piece slot and which prefab (full path to it please)

18. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I've submitted version 1.4. It adds a 13-tile system for terrain and fixes a bug with tile/plop placement that occurs when the map object was moved from its default 0,0,0 position.

The 13-tile system is used where you want to define not only the floor and one wall and corner1/2 pieces but all the pieces so that tiling works better. A situation like the attached screenshot would benefit from it since if you only used 4 tile pieces the lines of the "grass" texture would never align properly.

$13tile.jpg

19. Dreo

Dreo

I'm still having problems with performance in the editor. With an i7, 8GB ram and video card reasonable(Radeon HD 7610M).
    I do not know what to do, optimizations are usually for the game.
    Got a great improvement in performace with a Scrpit (runs in the editor) to combine all elements in a mesh. But that means I can no longer edit the map ready. Whatever would suck if I had to change something.

20. RandomCharacters

RandomCharacters

It does the same thing to me. What I have done is have a map 10x10 (for argument sake). Then I have to move that map 10 spaces to the x. Then when I create a new map, the old map is to the right. I do this for every map. It sucks, but that's 1 way around it.

21. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

What exactly becomes slow? Is the scene view fast enough when you try to move the camera around; or is tile placement becomming delayed after you placed a lot of tiles?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  22. Dreo

Dreo

tile placement becomming delayed after you placed a lot of tiles .. just that ..any suggestions?

23. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I just made a 100x100 map, filled it and then used auto-tile to create some raised terrain and do notice a very small delay in placement on my side. I guess this can be a much longer delay depending on your system. (I tested in Unity 4)

The problem is not something I can fix though. Like I said before (I think I did), when the auto-tile tool places a tile it only looks at the spot the piece is being placed and the 8 tiles around it. If it was to run through and update the whole aray of tiles then things would be way slow. This is the fastest way this can be done, no way around it. I'm literally just finding an index into an array and updating that.

I did find out somethin gelse though and I think this is where the speed is going to. Place an object in your scene (the one with huge map) and then delete that object again and you will notice there is a delay in the deletion of that object. I think this is what is slowing down the tool since it needs to delete 9 tiles each time the auto-tile tool places a tile - to make space for the new tile and recalculate what should go around it. Again, nothing I can do about this, those 9 tiles must be deleted from the scene when you place a new tile.

Using smaller maps (like a bunsh of 10x10) will not solve this problem either. After you have enough 10x10 maps you will get the same problem.

24. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

The bug where tiles are drawn at the incorrect location, after moving a map, has been fixed. Please update to the latest version of UniRPG Tile Ed (version1.4). Let me know if there are more issues with painting on maps that are not at the default 0x0x0 location.

25. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

comon people you have no excuse for making RPG now :)
    excellent idea and remarkable work, keep it up.

26. Dreo

Dreo

I am almost certain that is a limitation by the number of objects.
    In a 100x100 map, there are 10,000 Indepentes objects. I think this is unusual.
    It is unfeasible 100x100 + maps on my computer, and in almost any other.

If you do not have a matching logic that combines objects in a single mesh(At least the ground). Your tool can only be used for small maps (very frustrating).

27. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

hehe. There is still a lot more, than just painting tiles, that goes into making an RPG ;)

28. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Yes, mesh combining would be a good thing to have for such huge maps. I do not have plans to add such a feature but you can probably find such tools on the AS. It won't help your editor/design time problems though since the tiles can't be combined until you are done painting. The painting of tiles will become slower as you add more tiles/objects to the scene. Even if you where to place the 10,000 tile 'manually' you would still have to wait till you are done before a mesh combine can be done, except if you could work in sections and combine for example a village that was just painted and then move on to the forest area, and so on.

Might it not be better to create your game's world with bigger pieces? Think for example of big pieces to represent a plains area, or hill, or stream piece, etc. which are combinations of several tiles and would allow even more optimisation while they being created by the artist. I obviously don;t know what the style of your game is and how well this can be pulled off without adding more effort and time on the development side.

You can ask Unity for a refund if you are not satified with this tool. It is obviously not the right tool for everyone and I try my best to add as much info possible up front so people know what they get.

29. Dreo

Dreo

Thanks for the support.
    His tool is good and does exactly what it promises.
    I'm just with these problems.
    I am studying ways to solve.

30. Darkmoon

Darkmoon

Purhased the asset from the store. Great tech in theory, but using the bitgem low-poly tileset, i get...

32X32 map - over 5000 draw calls, around 15 frames per second and that's not even using any lighting. It's just not usable without a mesh combining/texture atlasing feature. There are just too many objects for the engine to deal with.

With UNity Pro's static batch feature, I'm still getting around 2500 draw calls and only about 30 FPS. No lights yet. No animations yet. No actors yet.

:(

31. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

As stated before, this is a tool to help with painting the maps, it does not do combines and atlasas for you. The art side is up to you how it is done since I figured there would be different ways people would approach it when it comes to creating texture atlasse(s) for the models. I see you did place a comment on bitgem's store page, I'll tell him to go check it out.

32. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

(allready posted this in my map&nav post, but just in case someone is only following this thread, here it is again)

I've decided to give a little gift to the community to say thanks for the support in buying my Tile Ed and Map&Nav packages through the year.

You can download the Battlemass client side scripts here or grab the file attached to the post. It is all the scripts used on the client side and includes simple AI, multiplayer, hot-seat, and even a very old implementation of map&nav (note, the package I sell now is way better), and more. There should be something usefull in there for someone. It is given as is and I will not be able to provide support on this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  33. sefou

sefou

Hi Darkmoon,

strange your drawcall problem ,with 32X32 map and Bitgem pack and skeleton character , i have about 120 drawcalls ; with one directional light , it augmented to 1020 drawcalls which is resolvved by an bake lightmapping.

34. seifer8ff

seifer8ff

I'm having a flickering problem with this tool. I'm using the tool to build a top down dungeon crawler style game for android. Whenever the camera moves, there is flickering between the individual tiles. I've tried using different shaders (diffuse, vertex lit, unlit, etc), and changing various rendering settings, and mesh settings, but I can't seem to get it resolved. I've spent a couple of days just playing with all of the settings that might affect it. I'm using the default dungeon tiles that come with the package, and even the default scene. It's most pronounced when building for android. I really don't know what else to try. Any help would be very much appreciated!

35. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Does the sample scenes flicker or ones you created using the sample prefabdb/tileset? The 1st thing that pops to mind is that you have more than one tile piece in the same location and having z-fighting - where the renderer can't decide which mesh surfce you should be seeing since they are so close to each other.

Check that you turn on "Replace Existing" in the inspector so that existing tiles will be deleted when you paint new ones over them.

I'm using the default unity shaders for the samples so I can't see how it can be a material or shader problem.

36. seifer8ff

seifer8ff

Both the example scene and a scene I created on my own flicker. I'm using the autotiler, and I checked for z-fighting, definitely not. I made an example project to show the problem. In the example I have a scene I created on my own, using the bundled prefabs, and the other scene is the example scene with an overhead style camera that follows the player. I checked windows, webplayer and android builds and they all show the flickering. Here is the download link to the example project:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44342617/FlickerExample.rar

Thank you for the help

37. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Please remove the RAR file. You are sharing my whole package, which is not allowed.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  38. seifer8ff

seifer8ff

Oops, didn't even think about that, my apologies. It's removed. Did you download the file before I removed it?

39. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

The problem is not flickering tiles. What is happening there us that the tiles are not perfectly 1x1 size so there is a very small gap between them and then the black background shows through. So you are almost seeing grid lines between them. This is only happening in the project file you send me and not in the original UniRPG. Please create a clean project and import UniRPG to check if the problem is still there. Easiest way to spot it is to open the dungeon sample scene, turn off the map grid and then set the viewpoint to top (you do not need to hit play to spot this).

40. seifer8ff

seifer8ff

The project that I sent to you was a clean project that I had just made, but to be 100% sure, I made a new project, and redownloaded and reimported UniRPG, and the problem persists. In the Scene View with the top viewport everything looks fine, but when you run the game, the lines appear

41. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Ah, ok. I could see the problem even in the scene view. I've tested with both Unity 4 and 3 and even imported UniRPG from the AS and there are no problems in the original packages, only your package has this problem. I do not know what else can be done to find out what the problem is.

42. seifer8ff

seifer8ff

For anyone else that has a flickering problem with a top down view, the solution is to use planes. I believe the flickering is caused by the extra faces of the cubes, or some kind of normal issue. So if you replace the cubes with planes, it goes away. There may be a more elegant solution, but this will work for me.

43. Dreo

Dreo

I'm having problem with creating new tiles in blender.
    The floors for example, gets rotation -90 and centered at axis zero. How to fix it?
    I saw that you did some things in 3dsmax (video) but I could not in blender.

44. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

If you can't do it in your 3d tool then you need to do it in Unity. Do check with the blender community before trying this as it will be a cleaner way if you can do it in your 3d tool.

In Unity, create an empty GameObject. Center this object (position = 0x0x0). Drag your model (tile) into the empty GameObject and center it in the GameObject. Now rotate and move your tile as needed to get it faceing and positioned as it should. From now on the GameObject is your tile - make a prefab of it and put the TilePiece component omn it (not the art inside it).

45. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

After the success of the December specials/sales I've decided to permanently lower the price to $25

46. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Why am I getting ArgumentOutOfRangeException when I try to place a tile?

47. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

You will have to provide more info when you post a question like this. For example, post the exact error message you got so that I can see in which script and line number the error happened.

48. cookimage

cookimage

Hi I just bought your system but get this error when I try and add a tile/mesh to it:

'' MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'UnityEditor.EditorUtility.GetAssetPreview'. "

I use Unity 4
    I know they have changed where that is so is your software up to date with unity 4?

49. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Yes. From the documentation...

50. Thecle

Thecle

The last version with prefab instantiation is simply perfect. Working with the right assets to have low poly and low draw call allow to do great mobile games.

Your tool will allow me to ship my last game sooner than expected.

After testing, i have a strange issue : most of the wall tiles are duplicated at the same position ? (using unity 4 pro)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.