Search Unity

UniRPG Tile Ed

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Leslie-Young, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

Hey TileEd fans,

Recently I've completed another TileEd compatible Top-down Environment Tileset Pack:

Top-down-Cave-Tileset-TileEd-Banner.jpg

Also available is the:

Top-down-Scifi-Environment-Tileset-Pack-TileEd-Banner.jpg

Ariegos likes this.
  2. stlouis4d

stlouis4d

I read a user review (latest review from 2-weeks ago) on the product page of the Unity Asset Store that mentioned it had some issues that apparently worked in an older version of Unity. I know the product page says 4.6.3 and higher, but can you tell me if TileEd is fully compatible with Unity 5?

A couple of reviews also mentioned that there isn't an Undo feature. Is this still correct or has this been added in a recent update?

I also read in this forum that no more than 2 levels can be created in a scene. Is is possible to create prefabs of a number of individual single level maps (i.e. 5 or however many desired) created with TileEd and then construct a multilevel dungeon out of the prefabs by combining them all in the same scene?

Are the levels created with TileEd fully modifiable in the Unity editor? Can individual elements or props be added to the structures built by TileEd? Can the wall and floor elements be moved, deleted, resized, or added to in the Unity editor?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  3. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

> but can you tell me if TileEd is fully compatible with Unity 5?
    Yes, it works in Unity 5. The issue mentioned in the review has to do with the preview image of a tile not being generated. I found this happens with the included sample prefabs and you simply have to right-click and reimport them to get them showing up. I'm not sure if this problems comes up again or not since I can't reliably reproduce it after doing the reimport.

> A couple of reviews also mentioned that there isn't an Undo feature.
    No such feature, sorry.

> I also read in this forum that no more than 2 levels can be created in a scene.
    It was created to editor single level actually. The 2nd level is just there to allow holes or water/ lava areas on the floor (appearing lower)

> Are the levels created with TileEd fully modifiable in the Unity editor?
    Yes, the tiles and props are all placed as individual GameObject under a parent GameObject. If you edit them manually it could mess up what Tile Ed knows about the structure though. For example if the auto-tile system placed some walls around a floor and you decide to move them somewhere else and then paint another auto-tile next to the previous' position then it could remove some of the walls (since they should not be there - you are making a hallway now). Depending on what you did with the previous placed tiles it could look wrong now.

4. stlouis4d

stlouis4d

Thank you for the quick reply ... that clears up what I needed to know.

5. fairtree

fairtree

Hi Leslie,

I am using your tool and I am very satisfied, it will not only save me hundreds of hours but is pretty fun to use.

Only one thing I could wonder would be the possibility to define more than one object for a tile, and when I use this tile it places the first object, then the second, then the first (if I had two objects), etc...

Same possibility with the auto tile.

It allows to auto place two or more different walls or columns automatically.

And then you have the ultimate tool ;)

I understand it must not be easy to do, and as I said I am already very satisfied with your tool, but if you want to improve it, it would be a great way.

Take care, and thanks to make great and professional assets.

6. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I do not have plans to add any new features. I do hope to get work started on a version 2 as soon as I get some time open then these suggestions will come in handy.

nuverian likes this.
  7. stlouis4d

stlouis4d

Oh my goodness ... Tile Ed is amazing. Bought it. Tried it out. And realized how much time I've been wasting without it. It's simple. Download it. Install it. Follow the simple directions (they're in both print and video). And you're done. Simply amazing.

I've got to say that it's got to be one of the biggest time (and sanity) saving tools for Unity. If you're working with Bitgem environments, you've absolutely got to have this tool. No questions asked. Just buy it.

No more struggling to manually align every single tile and mesh. With Tile Ed, you're literally painting with your environment right into your scene. It's as simple as that.

I literally reconstructed (without any errors or issues) an entire Bitgem Fantasy Environment in less than 15 minutes (including all of the setup time) that had previously taken me an entire day (and that had previously included too many misalignments that I couldn't seem to make go away before). Completely unbelievable. But true.

Thank you Leslie, I'm truly impressed.

8. sefou

sefou

hi stloui4d,
    can you explain how using Bitgem Fantaisy Environment with TileEd.
    Many thanks.

9. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Thanks for the review stlouis4d.

sefou, have a look at the videos and documentation. They explain how to set up tiles to be painted.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  10. stlouis4d

stlouis4d

@ sefou Just as Leslie mentioned above. Follow the simple directions, but put in the tiles from the Bitgem Fantasy Environment package if you're making a terrain or the Bitgem Modular Dungeon package if you're making a dungeon. It really is that simple, as the video walks you through it step-by-step.

11. stlouis4d

stlouis4d

The only thing that I might add to my review would be the lack of an "undo" feature. The ability to "undo" (even if it is was just one step back) would save us all a lot of grief. As it is, I'm saving very often, but one slip up (literally just a single click in the wrong area) and any and all work since your last save is lost if you have to reload your last save to correct the error. Some areas in my terrain I'm able to restructure by going back down a level and rebuilding, but it's never exactly the same as you originally had it and in some areas it isn't possible to rebuild if you have multiple levels or are close to an edge of your map.

Other than that, I've not found any fault with it.

12. Rick-

Rick-

Hello,
    I'm looking for a tile tool for creating a terrain something like this:

Can i achieve this kind of terrain with Tile Ed?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  13. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

No, that is not supported.

14. Rick-

Rick-

The terrain in the screenshot was made with TileWorldCreator($60) with just 5 tiles,and i'm wondering if i make a complete tileset compatible with your tool i can achieve this kind of look,its basically like the cubic terrain in your video.
    It would be great if you could provide a example of how something like this can be made.
    Or if it can't,you could give a short explanation why.

Also,i'm looking for this terrain style too:

15. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Have a look at the videos and documentation to see what is required from Terrain Tiles before they will "work" with Tile Ed.

This last screenshot looks like something that will work and your 1st one might too but I will not say yes and then it does not work. You need to look at what the tool requires (reasonI give link to docs) and judge for yourself if your art will work with it.

Rick- likes this.
  16. Rick-

Rick-

Ok,thx a lot.
    As far as i can see,i think it will work if i make a complete tileset for achieving something like the 1st screenshot.
    I'll probably purchase Tile Ed and see what i can do with it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  17. TechiTech

TechiTech

Hello Leslie,

can you tell me where the code is for the shortcut key Rotate? it's currently set to ctrl +arrows but I would like to change it.

Also one of the main reasons I purchased your asset was because in your video you showed the
    plops object being snap placed onto another object (as long as they both have colliders) however it's not snapping clean on there. it kind of floats on top until you click, but it doesn't line up flush.
    This is important if I want to build walls upwards. what can be done here?

Can you make so it can snap to vertex edge?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  18. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

> can you tell me where the code is for the shortcut key Rotate

MapInspectorBase.cs:1130

> however it's not snapping clean on there

Make sure the collider is the correct size and that the plop's pivot is at the right location.

> Can you make so it can snap to vertex edge?

No. The tool is feature complete.

19. TechiTech

TechiTech

Assets/UniRPG TileEd/Runtime/Properties/AssemblyInfo.cs(8,12): error CS0579: The attribute `System.Reflection.AssemblyTitleAttribute' cannot be applied multiple times

what do I have to do to fix this. This is after importing source code.

20. TechiTech

TechiTech

I think it would of been helpful if you gave us the option to assign shortcut keys. don't you think? then we wouldn't have to mess around with trying to get your source code to work.

So by the looks of it you're not adding else to this package... hmm

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  21. kazumasa0421

kazumasa0421

Hi. Thanks for creating great asset.

Now I have some issues.
    Please tell me this coping method.

1) Thumbnails do not displayed in editor.
    I checked SamplePrefabDB included in this asset.
    (Capture of Editor screen is attached)
    How can I display these?
    2) I can not clear Plops already set.
    I select [Map (component) > Plops > Clear] and Click Plop in Scene,
    but plop I touched is not removed.
    Would you tell me the correct way to remove plops?

Conditions:
    unity 5.1.2f1
    mac book air

Thanks.

Attached Files:

22. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

>> what do I have to do to fix this. This is after importing source code.

TileEd is distributed as DLLs. You should not extract and import the source code into your project. The source is provided for advanced users who wish to extend on it or tweak something and then compile new DLLs to replace the existing ones.

> So by the looks of it you're not adding else to this package

Yes. It has been feature complete for more than a year now. Meaning no new features will be added.

> Thumbnails do not displayed in editor

The sample tiles has a known problem. Select and right click them and choose Reimport. That should fix the problem.

> I can not clear Plops already set

The Plop placement tool is simply there to make aligned placement of non-tile objects easier. It does not work like the tile editing part where tiles are added and removed by the tile editor. You can delete a plop in the same way you delete any other GameObject - just be sure to unselect the Map or toggle the tile editor's edit mode off so that you regain normal Unity scene editing.

23. kazumasa0421

kazumasa0421

Thank you for your reply.
    The way you said works well!

24. kazumasa0421

kazumasa0421

Is it true that this asset is deprecated?
    I have just bought this yesterday....

25. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Yes, but you can still download it from your account downloads section if you own it.

26. TechiTech

TechiTech

Can I have a refund please. Not happy with this tool. Too many bugs

27. kazumasa0421

kazumasa0421

Okey.
    Would you tell me if you have a plan to create Tile Ed2 now?

28. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Can you please specify which bugs you are referring to so that I may fix them? Simply saying, "too many bugs" is not useful at all. TileEd 1 is over 2 years old and all the known bugs has been taken care of. The only problem that exist is with the sample tiles' preview images which can easily be fixed by right-click and re-import.

You can send me a PM with your invoice number.

29. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

There are plans for TileEd 2 but no time-line or any other info available at this time.

30. kazumasa0421

kazumasa0421

Thank you for your reply.
    I'm glad to hear that!

31. DigitalIPete2

DigitalIPete2

Very sad to see this deprecated. In the middle of a project I upgraded to Unity 5 for a variety of reasons, I was using Tile Ed as the map editor for the whole project. :(

Now I am left with no easy way forwards... very annoying and without a word from the author until I found out from the Asset Store - this is quite poor customer relations I'm afraid.

32. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

TileEd supports Unity 5. You can still download it from your Asset Store Downloads section, https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/account/downloads/group/Packages

33. Aurigan

Aurigan

Could you please let us know *why* this was removed from the Unity Store?

34. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

35. Brity

Brity

Hello Leslie,

I'm having issues with importing this asset.

Msg popup

Copying file failed
    Copying Temp/Export
    Package/blablablablablabla/Asset
    to Assets/plyLib/runtime/plyLib.dll: The system cannot find the file specified.

Console Error
    Package does not contain valid asset for: Assets/plyoung/plyLib/runtime/plyLib.dll

Tested in fresh project
    Unity versions. 5.3.2, 5.3.3f, 5.3.3p1

36. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

This asset has been deprecated and no longer being updated.
    I doubt it will work in Unity 5.3 since few things have been changing between 5.0 and 5.3.

37. Brity

Brity

but I just purchased it today.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/49094

Version: 1.0.6 (Feb 11, 2016) Size: 212.6 kB
    Originally released: 31 October 2015
    Package has been submitted using Unity 5.3.2.

38. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

This thread is about the old "UniRPG TileEd". That is why I got confused about your message.

I'll do a quick test importing from the asset store but have never seen that error message before.

[edit] Tested and getting no import errors in clean project. Used 5.3.2 to test. I suggest you look at this thread on how to clean up the assets cache for plyoung and try downloading again just in case your package got corrupt somehow. http://forum.plyoung.com/t/when-reporting-errors/122/3

39. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

40. hike1

hike1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.