Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UniRPG Tile Ed

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Leslie-Young, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hike1

hike1

2. hike1

hike1

I made a stairs down, but your tile grid won't let the player go down, how to get around this? I could reimport the
    dungeon tiles as a unitypackage w/o tile editor, is that the solution?

3. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

You could add a 2nd map object to the scene and place it below the 1st.

4. hike1

hike1

I made a 2nd floor, but it's funky, by marking the staircase ramp 'floor' (unirpg game kit thing) I could get up and down, up was more difficult,
    but I couldn't edit the upper map after I made the lower map, except by the usual copy/paste/snap into place method.

What I need now is a means of turning the upper map invisible when player is
    below it, etc, don't really want to change any cameras.

Attached Files:

5. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

While editing, simply deactivate the map object you do nt want to work with. At runtime you can do the same when the player moves between mats. map.SetActive(true/false);

All tiles are child objects of the map and will thus become inactive/active too.

The autil-tile part of the tool was not made with multi-level dungeons in mind. It can only handle drawing of a normal floor level and a lower level (two levels).

The map also do not allow for tiles over tiles (which is what you seem to want) In this case you need more map objects placed over each other.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  6. hike1

hike1

I'll just make each dungeon a separate scene, trying to do 2 levels locks up unity. What do you mean by 'map objects placed over each other'?
    That's what the screen shot shows. The map objects are the tiles, correct?

Attached Files:

7. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

A "Map Object" is the main GameObject that represents a map or grid of tiles. I just call it 'map object' to not confuse the issue with the term map used for scenes or levels.

You get that (highlighted) error message because the PrefabDB (Tiles) is not accessible. Most likely error is that you are trying to access DB that is inside another scene rather than having made a prefab of the DB.

It is best to create a prefab of the PrefabDB and delete it from the scene and then when creating new map object you reference the prefab of the PRefabDB so that you can scene it with maps in other scenes.

8. hike1

hike1

trying to access DB that is inside another scene rather than having made a prefab of the DB.
    unquote

No, but when I deleted the DB prefab and dragged it in the scene again Unity unlocked, but there's no option for 'edit prefab' By Deactivate map object you
    mean uncheck it in the inspector so it's invisible? It has no effect on whether I can edit anything. I'm not going to make 2 level
    dungeons if I can just load a 1-story with change scene.

Attached Files:

9. atmuc

atmuc

Hi Leslie, is it still impossible to change map size after it is created?

10. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

No, the function that creates the map would destroy anything you have done on the map up to that point.

11. atmuc

atmuc

i started to use it's source code version. i added few lines of code to Map class and to it's inspector class. now i can extend it without problem :)

12. yifu

yifu

The UnityAGK ( Action Game Kit ) was also mentioned in the thread.
    When I checked out UnityAGK video, it seems to me UniRPG already does whatever Action Game Kit does and UniRPG seems to be more complete.
    So, I am just wondering if there is any relation between UniRPG and UnityAGK?
    Can they be combined? or is UnityAGK just a add-on that can be integrated in UniRPG? Or, are they separate product that doesn't have any relation ship?
    Can anyone that used them share some experience here?
    Thanks for you guys help.

13. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Sorry for the confusion. This thread is about the Tile Editor, originally called UniRPG Tile Ed, and that is why the thread title is "UniRPG" (I am unable to edit and change it).

AGK is mentioned because Tile Ed is featured as a possible editor for creating its maps. AGK and UniRPG are different products. I think AGK is better if you want to create the kind of games that you can see in the AGK demo, as it is focused on that specific genre.

UniRPG is trying to be a no-coding RPG making tool. With version 2 I will be renaming UniRPG to reflect that it will be usable for more than just RPGs. Other possible genres will include Adventure games and Visual Novels, possibly Action Adventures and FPS. Basically any genre will be possible because of the included visual scripting tool, plyBlox, but I will be creating systems specific to certain genres to make development of those easier in a no-code environment.

14. im

im

i encourage everybody who original licensed UniRPG to file a complaint with Unity Asset Store asking that it be added back...

15. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Please send me a private message with your invoice number and an e-mail address that I can invite to a private share. The updates to UniRPG version 1 is available via this share to anyone who purchased UniRPG 1 or UniRPG 2 (plyGame).

UniRPG, version 1 range, has not received major updates for a long time now and is feature complete but I still add minor features and fix bugs when these comes up.

Btw. This is the Thread for the Tile Editor tool. I think you meant to post this in, http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/188054-UniRPG-The-Unity-3D-RPG-Maker

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  16. NeoMaven

NeoMaven

I'll be honest, I'm not quite following your logic here. You're getting a newer, vastly superior product for free, which actually includes additional products like the new visual scripting tool, AS WELL as the original UniRPG tool PLUS its updates(by request from the author). ...And this upsets you? UniRPG as a product has essentially just reached the end of its lifecycle, it happens. Instead of charging his clients full price for the new replacement product, Leslie is giving it away free as a way of saying thanks to a loyal fanbase.

It's fair to have your own opinions, but please don't be unnecessarily disruptive in a situation that doesn't warrant it. Just mail leslie and he'll continue to give you all the UniRPG support and updates you've had in the past.

17. riftgarret

riftgarret

Is there a FAQ for this product? Im very interested, but not quite sold because of a few concerns.

1. Is it capable to handle multiple floors? As in, you have a balcony on floor2 which that overhangs floor1, and you could put 'stairs' to connect the two?

2. Would this be a reasonable plugin if I wanted to make a 1st person environment that had ceilings? How would I do ceilings?

3. Of the ploppable objects placed in the environment, what freedom do I have to rotate or scale (to add random variety of placement)?

Thanks!

18. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

>> Is there a FAQ for this product? Im very interested, but not quite sold because of a few concerns.
    Documentation and vids linked on first page http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/148235-UniRPG

>> 1. Is it capable to handle multiple floors? As in, you have a balcony on floor2 which that overhangs floor1, and you could put 'stairs' to connect the two?
    For Dungeon Type map you define tiles as either on the normal level or lower level. There are no support for more floors than this and not ceilings. The lower would rather be used for a canal or such. Check the Dungeon related vid to see this.

>> 2. Would this be a reasonable plugin if I wanted to make a 1st person environment that had ceilings? How would I do ceilings?
    No. It was mostly designed with the idea to create maps for top-down type games. The kinda games ,like Diablo, where you hardly go "under" something.

>> 3. Of the ploppable objects placed in the environment, what freedom do I have to rotate or scale (to add random variety of placement)?
    There are several level of snapping to a tile but snapping can be turned off and the rotation options are at 45*. Of course this is just an object and you can rotate and scale and do whatever you could do in Unity after placing it.

19. vonpixel

vonpixel

Sorry if this has been posted before (its a big thread)- but I was using this tile mapper- and ran into a Unity error where I had to delete my library and let it recompile- the Tile Ed still works- but in the PrefabDB - all the preview windows are blank. I can still place things- but its awfully hard to tell what im picking.

20. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I've never run into this problem so I'll PM to sort this out since your unique problem might require a lot of back and forth to figure out.

[edit] The solution was to select the tile prefabs, right-click and choose "Reimport" on them.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  21. im

im

22. Aguy

Aguy

Getting the "Not a valid tilepiece prefab"
    Using Bitgem dungeon set.
    Had it before and after upgrade to 4.3

Update:
    For some reason it looks like I'm missing the DLLs.
    I'll have to check what I did.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  23. Aguy

Aguy

Looks like I'm still getting the error with the DLLs in the right place

24. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Check the tile prefabs to make sure they have the "TilePiece" component on each of them.

25. Aguy

Aguy

Went to component, added tilepiece.
    Then the Prefeb pop up goes blank and freezes

26. BSECaleb

BSECaleb

Where did all the videos go?

27. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

You are not manually importing a package after install?
    Tile Ed now only works with Unity 4 and I do no longer distribute Unity 3 compatible DLLs. So there is no longer the two separate packages to choose from, although, if you had an older version installed before and did not delete the packages after using them you would still see it in the folder and mistakenly think one needs to be installed.

Do you get any error messages in the Unity console? I assume you are referring to the PRefabDB editor window when you say "Prefeb pop up". If this is crashing then you should be seeing some kind of error message from unity,

Deleted.

28. Aguy

Aguy

Might be because of the older version.

The Prefab thing. It's hanging, no error. Have to delete from project to free it up.
    Guess I'm missing something somewhere, just not sure what. Will keep looking.

29. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Another thing you can try is to reset the layouts. menu: windows > layouts > choose one. Maybe it has something to do with this, you never know.
    Also make sure there are not duplicates of the DLLs in your project (unlikely but just in case)

Sorry I can't be of more help. It is the first time I hear about this kind of problem..

30. Aguy

Aguy

I THINK I got it...seems to be working now.
    Kind of miss having the videos but there seems to be an error with the 1st floor tile in the set.
    I can live without that.

31. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I will be recording new videos to place on the front page, so check back soon.

32. RandomCharacters

RandomCharacters

I used this a year ago and it was fine. I just restarted it and am having issues. I have tile ed and also bitgems dungeon builder kit. I did run unity 4 package. So I have UNIrpg and tile ed menues. I can create maps and tile sets. I am using unity 4.3.4.f1 on windows 7. The issue is I can not load tiles into the prefab. I tried using the supplied ones and I get an error "Not a valid tilepiece prefab". I'm sure someone had this issue before me. So what am I missing here?

33. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

You get that error when yo uforget to add the TilePiece Component to a prefab that will be used as tile.
    Have a look at the new vid I just uploaded to learn how it should be set up.

34. RandomCharacters

RandomCharacters

So that worked. I clicked on each prefab and attacked a script to it as tileset. This made each a tile set.

Now the bigger issue. It seems that when uniRPG ang Tile Ed are both there, it won't work. I can still use tile ED but not uniRPG. The menu option at the top tool bar goes away and you can not use uniRPG. This is after I exit unity and restart it. What is weird is that it is now greyed out under Component>Script>uniRPGruntime> with 2 options of map and prefab. So maybe there is an issue with the names or something?

1) I copied over unirpg to assets folder
    2) I opened unity and saw the menu drop down
    3) I imported tile ed from assest store
    4) I saw stuff for that and it works.
    5) I exited unity and restarted and unirpg no longer works

I alos clicked on for unity 4 under tile ed and imported them. However, they are just 3 folder and no actual content. Could this be the issue? Maybe

$Capture.JPG

SO here is it messed up
    $Capture.JPG

but if I reimport unirpg, this is what I get. It now shows. UNTIL, I restart unity.
    $Capture.JPG

So I guess a solution is after starting unity, just right click on unirpg in the project and reimport. You'll get it until you exit unity.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  35. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Not sure what you are doing but you have too many steps and probably have old and new versions mixed.
    1) Start a new project,
    2) go to asset sore and import Tile Ed.
    3) You are done. It should work.

You should not have to extract anything. Tile Ed do not support Unity 3 any longer so I distribute it with only the Unity 4 DLLs already in place rather than in the zip file as before.

This is what Tile Ed folder structure looks like in clean project, imported from Asset Store. Version 1.9.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  36. RandomCharacters

RandomCharacters

OK, 1 more question. The game plays really slow. That is due to the number of tiles. I remember there was a solution to this. It was like some combine mesh script or something. Do you know what I am talking about? and where to find it? I'm sure someone has asked this before.
    thanks (and I got it working so far)

Also, can navmesh work with this? It doesn't seem to work, but is there a trick like creating a plane underneath the floor or something?

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  37. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

You can probably find a tool on the Asset Store or a script at http://wiki.unity3d.com/

Navmesh will need some mesh/ terrain to work with, You are probably not setting static or somesuch correctly if unable to bake a mesh. As for moving units (navmeshagent), well, this kit's sample units obviously do not work with navagent so you would have to change it to work with it or create totally new units.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  38. RandomCharacters

RandomCharacters

So I figurered out how to get the mesnav working.
    1) I put a mesh renderer on the map in the hieracy (and took off shadows in the inspecter)
    2) in the navigation tab, I set the map static (as it now has a mesh renderer)
    3) I went into plops in hieracy and set all of the items to navstatic. I just group selected them.

Then when I baked, it drew a correct navmesh. Now if you have items that are movable, then you don't select them as static obviously.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  39. RandomCharacters

RandomCharacters

Another question. I bought a castle and tried to put it into the scene. you can see from the picture that it is positioned and the transform sees it. When I make this a ploppable and run the game, it goes back to 0,0,0,. Any ideas?

$Capture.JPG $Capture2.JPG $Capture3.JPG

40. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

There is no runtime code from the Tile Ed side that moves the plops at runtime so you might need to check with your other scripts.

41. RandomCharacters

RandomCharacters

There was something in the prefab. I switched to another model and it was fine.

42. kaisirak

kaisirak

Hi,

I seem to have a problem when creating a map where the tile size isn't an integer.
    For example when I use 1.6 as the tile size, if I use the brush to draw the tiles, it will not create tiles at certain intervals (every 3 tiles for example), my brush will go over the tile, but even if I click it won't create the tile. (I can use a size two brush and it will create the tiles, but they will be misplaced on the left by one tile, and it's not as precise)

Here is what happens when I tried to cover the map with the size 1 brush: tiledProblem.jpg

Being able to use tiles of size other than 1 is really important to me, is there a workaround, short of changing all my prefabs so they match a tile size 1 map

43. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Thanks for reporting.
    Version 1.9.1, with fix, submitted.

44. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

The packs shown supports Tile Ed in that they include the tile pieces needed to setup the auto-tile tile-sets.

Not sure what this tool has to do with lights and shadows. Those are related to your design and art decisions. You choose to use tiles or not. This tool simply makes it easier to draw tile based maps. If you where to place the bitgem tile peices one by one then you would end up with the same issues. You could run something like a mesh combine script on your final map for drawcall optimitasion.

Send me a pm with your email address and invoice number to receive a refund.

45. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

Hey Leslie,

I would really love to see an option to randomly rotate a plop piece on placement. Any chance of an update with this functionality?

Thanks!

46. sefou

sefou

Hi Leslie,
    with Unity 5 0 0f4 , i have this bug ; Tile Ed don't display:

Can you fix it ?
    Thanks

47. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Select those prefabs in the project panel, right-click, and choose to reimport.

48. sefou

sefou

Yep.
    Thanks. :)

49. sefou

sefou

Hi Leslie,
    the display constantly changes:

for sure, i make reimport prefabs in the project.
    i have this problem with unity 4.6. 2f1 and unity 5.0.0f4.

How fix it ?

Thanks.

50. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I'll have a another look at this and let you know ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.