Search Unity

UniRPG, The Unity 3D RPG Maker

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Leslie-Young, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

The new thread for this product, now known as plyGame, is at http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/224503-plyGame-no-scripting-game-maker

UniRPG is a tool that will help you create Hack&Slash RPG type single player games in Unity. The goal is to provide a tool with which to create a specific genre of game in Unity without doing any code scripting. Full source is provided and the system supports plug-ins when you need to do more or expand on the existing features.

Have a look at the documentation and the tutorial videos to learn more about the kind of games that can be created.

I'll be making announcements here when I submit updates. Subscribe to this thread if you would like to be notified.

More information and online documentation is available on the official UniRPG Site. This is also where you will find plugins made for UniRPG.

Official support is provided on the UniRPG Forum. Please use it if possible so that we can keep this thread clean for update announcements.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  2. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

[screenshots removed]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  3. Burletech

Burletech

Congratz on the release. Looks really good.

4. Hboybowen

Hboybowen

Hey can you setup a evaluation kit for this? Seems highly useful and I want to test its usefulness before I buy this:-?

5. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

It would be difficult to do since I'd have to give you the whole tool. Removing some parts would make it is useless for evaluation.

Perhaps the best would be to wait until it is out of Alpha when I will create demo games with it. Playing the game to get a feel for the kind of game play this tool creates and watching a video on how the game was created with the tool might give you enough to make a decision.

I'll be running the discount until after I've done the above, so do not worry about losing out on that ;)

6. Archania

Archania

Looks really good.

7. maidamedia

maidamedia

I think it is very well conceived. It seems to be very simple and intuitive. I would like to try a webplayer demo.:grin:

8. liverolA

liverolA

put some webplay demo or video,pictures are nothing...

9. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Like I said 4 posts up. This is an early adopters version and I will only be making game-play demos when beta is released. I have more important things to be working on right now, like getting more of the Core systems done for testing :D

Another great way of learning more about a tool like this is to simply check out the documentation to see how the pipeline works.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  10. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Nice! Very very nice, definitely on my shopping list :)

11. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

Would this be suited to making a game like MediEvil or Maximo on Playstation?

12. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Not with the default character and camera controllers. I am working on a way that these could be replaced via plugins to UniRPG.

So someone could make a controller that works similar to how those games work, for example allowing a character to jump and a camera that rotates like that and the mechanisms to detect when the player near something and what to do when he press the interact or attack buttons.

But yea,, out of the box. No. and there are no plugins yet that can provide that kind of game play. Maybe check back when this tool is out of Beta ;)

13. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

Thanks the for the fast and honest reply. So you are planning on adding the functions of those games or are you saying someone could theoretically add them in via a plugin?

So would it be safe to say that currently this package is designed for Diablo style games?

14. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I can't promise that I would personally look into creating mechanics for that specific type of game play but it would be possible to add it. I have a lot on my plate as it is. I'll certainly look into making different ones or even adding support into the current ones when I get the time.

I'm also of looking into creating plugins that can link exiting systems, like the UFPS with UniRPG, so that you get an excellent FPS controller combined with all the other features of UnIRPG. In the same way I could create a plugin that links the free Third Person MMO Controller with UnIRPG.

Yea, Diablo and Torchlight type games is what the default controllers are trying to provide. Torchlight 2 was my inspiration for the current character and camera controllers. Check the video I posted to see how the controller act. In the future I will create web players so that you get a better feel for the game mechanics.

15. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

Okay, thanks for the info. Good luck with this package :)

16. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I've submitted an update, it should be available in the week.

Version 0.1.1 (ALPHA)
    - Added the Levelling System
    - The Attribute Action is now complete
    - New target type for Actions, the Player
    - Fixed bug with opening Documentation on OSX

17. Hboybowen

Hboybowen

alright I am going to invest in this one some time in July. My main concern is how easy is it to get animations for the character system working properly.
    I bought Character Systems for unity
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/143609-Character-System and had issues because it wasn't as seeminly straightforward as what this project appears to do.
    So, could you link this character system as a plugin but using your straightforward rpg maker style setup?

Your aim does appear to be the "for Dummies" crowd which is great.

Animation wise I just would like to make it as extremely simple to add animations and vfx.Easy to expand but extremely simple to take my fbx file and get it working with the character in unity.

My question is regarding vfx on attacks.Would a flipbook texture slot for attack vfx be to much to ask?

So say a ranged or melee attack is called in the skills bar and it uses a flipbook texture as a projectile vfx.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  18. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Yes, the goal is to create something where you don't have to code anything. If you can code then it should be easy to tap into current features of UniRPG and integrate with it via Actions, GUI Themes, and general plugins. I am still working on the documentation for all of this.

UnIRPG support only the legacy animation system atm. You tell the character controller what the clip names are for idle, walk and run and it will use those when the character moves around. I'll later add option to add different idle/antics clips to use while a character is idle.

The way something like an attack animation is played is determined by an action. You will create a skill, which is the attack skill for say, swinging the sword. In this skill's list of actions you will then place an Animation aciton which will then call the clip to play. In that same list you will probably want to place an attribute action to deduct hp on the target and other actions to do things like play an fx, etc.

>> So, could you link this character system as a plugin but using your straightforward rpg maker style setup?
    It depends on how that system works. I've not had a chance to play with that system yet so I have no idea how hard it would be to link with UniRPG and make it a "simple setup" process.

>> flipbook texture as a projectile vfx
    UniRPG need support for creating something called a projectile. As it stands you can't do it right now cause there is nothing that can move an object over time - without you having to code some script 1st. I've added this to my todo list. The actual FX that play could then be anything that can be instantiated from a prefab, like a particle system. Does the particle system not support something like that where it play the frames off a texture atlas or am I not understanding what a flipbook texture is?

19. Hboybowen

Hboybowen

Somewhat but a script is needed,example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prAxitLq_Q4

20. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

If you have that kit, https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/2772 then it should not be a problem to instantiate the GameObject/ Prefab that has that effect on it. If you meant I should create the scripts to replace that kit, then, I do not think I'll get around to doing something like that.

Like I said in the previous post, UniRPG needs something that allows moving stuff over time. That I will be adding, most likely by just making the actions/plugins needed to link up iTween and other such kits with uniRPG since that would be way more useful than me adding yet another tween solution. The effect you describe can be done via that kit I linked and I'm sure it would be a simple matter to get it playing as soon as the object (like a projectile) is spawned by UniRPG's Create Action (which can also be used to instantiate other things like particle system prefabs).

21. jonkuze

jonkuze

I just purchased this Asset! It's Amazing! for anyone of you who are still thinking about it, don't! Just Buy it! It's awesome even in it's alpha stage! I was able to create a small basic game in minutes.

22. mimminito

mimminito

Thanks for the review. Ive watched the videos, and been so tempted to purchase, but just wanted to know a little more about it before I did.

Might have to take the plunge and purchase this. Looks like it will be a really handy tool, and some great ideas are already flowing :)

23. Hoegbo

Hoegbo

I think this asset will be a gamechanger , crossing my fingers for mobile support on the horizon.
    the code this guy makes is clean and rock solid.
    and I hope you will partake in building a active and helpfull community around this asset.

24. cynel

cynel

ill think ill stick with ORK RPG For the Turned Based Combat system

25. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I was actually thinking of doing one of those old school turn-based final fantasy type battle screens as a plugin for UniRPG. Just wish I could code faster to implement all these fun ideas.

Someone mentioned that it would be nice to have the Map&Nav like system in UniRPG - something like Heroes of Might and Magic.

The nice thing about UniRPG is that totally new character and camera systems can be implemented as plugins to change the way the final game play feels.

26. Hoegbo

Hoegbo

I like this plug in system , how modular will it be ? I havent gone through much of the code as I am unable to do that at the moment :/
    will most aspects of the toolset can be "overrided" by plugins
    and will plug ins be user made / you made / paid for ?

27. Jaimi

Jaimi

This will be great, once you move to mecanim. Hope to see it soon. :)

28. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

If you look at the GUI Theme for example, you can choose which of the installed Themes to use. So at some point there should be a bunch of options. These themes are created with a few specific rules. They don't override anything, you just choose one.

I want the character and camera to work similar to that. It is not yet separated from the core but is one of the things to get done before Beta and will then be easy to replace with another character and camera system. This will be the main thing that influence how your game play and mechanics work. The current one for example is a click to walk and also supports awsd while at some point there could be one where all characters must move on a word build from a grid, and in turns.

The other thing that can be added is Actions. They are the main workers. Again, they are additions to the system and UniRPG just shows them as options when selecting actions to add to an event.

And then there is the final kind of plugin, the one that is not any of the above. They could add totally new things to the UniRPG and is given a way to add a new tab to UniRPG's Main Editor Window where they can then display options.

The Dialogue plugins I'm working on this week (for UDEA and Parley) is an example of the last. They not only add new Actions but also add new Components that are needed for these systems to function and can integrate with the main editor to show options in an accessible way. These plugins will be free but you will need to own one of those dialogue systems.

The plugins can come from 3rd parties and I hope that we will have a nice community creating free and commercial plugins around UniRPG once it is mature.

I'll be writing a lot more about how plugins are created at a later stage and post it under the Advanced Section of the documentation. It is too early to go into those details as I am still changing some things around how plugins function while I'm working on the 1st set of plugins.

[edit] btw, 0.1.1 is now life, so update if you own UniRPG. It contains the new Level system and the Attribute Action has been updated to make use of this and other parameters.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  29. Hoegbo

Hoegbo

Awesome!
    thanks for the in depth explanation.

going to update and test :)

30. cynel

cynel

Its Alright too bad this cant be compatible with ORK RPG

31. mimminito

mimminito

Purchased it last night :)

Not had a chance to play around yet, but will be looking into it very soon! Got some cool ideas, and very interested in the Plugin system, seeing what I can make with that.

More than happy to help out with testing/betas if you like, id love to help progress this system for the community and give them an even better tool!

Great work!

32. Hoegbo

Hoegbo

33. Toad

Toad

Looks good, and has lots of potential. Purchased!

Would be good to be able to choose between using;

Real-time movement and combat,
    Real-time movement with turn-based combat, or
    Turn-based movement and combat.

34. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

oh yes, that is something I totally want to do, and hopefully soon.

This week I've been working on getting support in for some Dialogue and Quest engines which gave me the opportunity to see what would be needed for a typical plugin to be written for UniRPG. I've also done a load of other improvements in between. 1.1.2 will be submitted on Sunday or Monday so that is will be ready for download next week some time.

Next week's major system will be the Save and Load system. Obviously, further improvements and bug fixes will also happen in between and maybe I'll get a chance to start working on the demo game I want to create with UniRPG.

35. cynel

cynel

im sorry i just cant buy your UniRPG im Using ORK. but i did bought your UniRPG Tile Ed

36. lebid

lebid

I bought this asset and this type of evolutionary system is really a great job
    Thank you very much.

37. Gunhi

Gunhi

looks fantastic! quick questions please

Does it support mobile devices?

I will definitely buy this, keep good working!

38. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

It might, but I have not tested anything on mobile devices and have not written the default GUI to fit on a mobile device's screen size.

39. Gunhi

Gunhi

so, Please consider about mobile supporting. Using nGui maybe a good idea for saving your time and my time as well.

40. Burletech

Burletech

+1

41. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I've submitted an update, so be sure to check for it to appear in the week.

Version 0.1.2 (ALPHA)
    - Added Dialogue Panel to Default Fantasy GUI Theme to provide support for showing Dialogue with an NPC
    - Added GUI Action - allow sending messages to the Game GUI
    - New Cache system to speed editor up
    - New area in UniRPG's Main Editor window, under Actors, to see cached actors and option to refresh the cache
    - New toolbar button to quickly refresh the Actor and Item cache
    - Fixed small bug with String Value global variables
    - A Unity-Object-Type global variable support was added. This will allow you to write/read GameObjects, Components and other Unity types in the global variable system
    - Actions have been updated to support the Object-type global variable via the "Specified" target type.
    - You no longer provide default values when defining an Attribute. This will help with some of the confusion around Attributes and their use in Actor Classes. The Attribute's values and events can now only be configured through the Actor Class area.
    - New area in Main Editor for Events. You no longer choose a skill to play for Attribute value changes but make use of an Event. This will prevent some confusion around how this system works.
    - Added the Object Enable/ Disable Action which allows you to enable/disable a whole object or specific behaviour/component of that object

42. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

UniRPG's first two plugins are also now available. Note that they both require 0.1.2 which should be on the Asset Store later in the week.

You can now use UDEA and Parley, both dialogue and quest engines, with UniRPG. The plugins provide the link between UniRPG and these systems.

43. Rohling

Rohling

Hi,

first of all theUniRPG RPGMaker is an amazing work yet!

I bought it few days ago, but i will wait until beta for my project. ;-)
    But i have problems to run a Scene.

"Asynchronous Background loading is only supported in Unity Pro.
    Please use Application.LoadLevel or Application.LoadLevelAdditive instead.
    UnityEngine.Application:LoadLevelAsync(String)
    Startup:Update() (at Assets/UniRPG/Scripts/UniRPG/Startup.cs:63)"

So is this Asset for Pro only? Did I miss something? ...Maybe I've done something wrong.
    I hope you can help me! :(

greetings

44. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Oh my, thanks for reporting that. I'll look into it and fixed for the 0.1.3 update.

45. Rohling

Rohling

Thanks for the quick response! :) I will join the forum on your site.

46. StarAbove

StarAbove

I have a question about this kit. What the the plan features that we can be looking forward to? Any plan on creating shops/inventory systems, battles AI, camera control, ect?

47. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Shops - yes.. either as part of core or as plugin.. not sure yet
    Inventory - is in
    Battles AI - not sure what you mean. The AI can attack now.
    Camera Control - again, not sure what you mean, but this is what I'm doing for cams right now http://plyoung.com/unirpg/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34#p138

UniRPG is build to be expanded via plugins if there is something that is not part of the core system.
    My focus right now is to get the core done, which I hope should be by the end of this month and then I can call it beta or even released.

Off the top of my head I need to add thes emajor systems still (among various smaller ones and bug fixes)
    - Turn the camera, player, NPC/AI and game controllers into pluggable systems so that they can easily be replaced with other systems
    - A Save/ Load system
    - Shop System
    - Loot System that works with loot tables.
    - Add some more windows to the Default GUI Theme, like an interface for a shop, quest log, and load/save.

After the release I will add smaller features to the core directly (the package you can buy now is the "core") and do bug fixes on it, while working on bigger plugins to add new systems. The new systems could include things like turn-based game controllers, new cameras for example first-person, and so on.

48. Gunhi

Gunhi

mobile support please! mobile support please! mobile support please!

49. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Yes please support mobile :)

50. Essal

Essal

Watched your video and did a bit of reading - and I'm convinced! Really great job - i'm impressed already by the basic features you've implemented:)
    Just bought it on asset store, gonna play around with it right away!:D