Search Unity

Feature Request Unique display identifier beyond Display.displays[#]

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by M-Woods, Feb 28, 2023.

1. M-Woods

M-Woods

I think this is probably a feature request. If such capability exists, let me know.

I had a recent problem with a Unity installation on a mac studio connected to 3 displays. The program tested fine in the office and the displays were consistent. MonitorA was consistently Display.displays[0], monitorB was always Display.displays[1], etc.

The problem occurred when we got on site with the actual installation displays. Half the time when the machine was rebooted the left display would be Display.displays[1] and half the time it would be Display.displays[2]. The displays would still be arranged correctly on the desktop, but the numbers in Unity would be different.

My theory is that one of the displays (all different hdmi displays) was sometimes slow to sync with the computer when it restarted. If it synced quickly, it would get number 1, if slowly it would get number 2. I ended up solving the problem by making the problematic display the main display in the macOS. Then it consistently reported as Display.displays[0]. Unfortunately macOS doesn't allow you to number the other displays, just designate the main one.

I'd like to keep creating multi display mac installations with potentially even more displays. Is there a way to get a more unique and consistent display identifier than Display.displays[#] within Unity? Something like the stated EDID serial number from the connected display?

Thanks,
    -Mat