Search Unity

Unique count aggregation, build version filter

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by alejobrainz, Feb 9, 2015.

1. alejobrainz

alejobrainz

Hello. We are giving Unity Analytics a spin as an option for an upcoming game and have a couple of suggestions. On the one hand, I see you have count, sum and average aggregation for any given event. It would be great if you could add unique so that we can see how many actual users completed a certain action at least once. How it stands now, if a user finishes a level 10 times, you would get a count of 10.

My other suggestion is adding an option to filter builds. I understand this could potentially be added as a segment, but we would need to create/edit segments as new versions are rolled out (or maybe I'm missing something).

Thanks!

2. mbirk

mbirk

Unity Technologies

Hi @brainz! Currently, for custom events, we do count both unique users and event occurrences. They're displayed on different screens, though, so it might not be obvious. (Of course we're always working to improve the user experience, so perhaps we can make this part clearer.) If you go to the Data Explorer and "Add Custom Event", it will show the number of users that triggered that event. The count is broken down by day, however, so if the same user triggers the event on different days, it will be counted twice. If you click on "View Parameters", you will see actual event counts (broken down by day and parameter name).

Regarding builds, we are planning to surface the "app version" (CFBundleShortVersionString on iOS, PackageName.VersionInfo on Android). We also intend to surface build identifiers from the Unity Cloud Build service. I would love to hear more about your use case though, and what it would mean to filter a build.

3. alejobrainz

alejobrainz

Thanks for the info. I'll look at the unique aggregation! Regrind the use case, one would typically see how a new build may impact certain KPIs. say for example we introduce a daily mission mechanic on a certain build. Being able to see how that affects core metrics like Retention or ARPDAU is very important and putting it inside a certain segment would be a bit counter intuitive since segments would need editing each time you launch a new build.

One more question. I see one can define a custom User ID. Does it need to be called before the startSDK? If it is set after, are all of the previous events attributed to this user ID? We want to explore custom ids to identify a user across different devices, as we sync his profile using a unique ID.

Also, are you guys planning on rolling out an API? it would be great to

Thanks!

4. mbirk

mbirk

Unity Technologies

@brainz

App/build version: Okay, your use case for app or build version is what I expected. We're definitely going to introduce something along these lines! We think it's important to enable the "feedback loop" that allows you to see what's happening in your game, take action, and see the result. Stay tuned.

Custom User ID: While we do allow the custom user id to be set, we treat this like an attribute -- it does not replace the default user id (i.e. the primary key for a user within your app), which is based on IDFV (on iOS) or Android ID. This decision is based on our prior experience (as the startup Playnomics), where we did allow overriding the user id. This led to a lot of confusion and support requests due to developers who would either set a constant user id (seriously!) or provide a user id that would change over time (e.g. a Gamecenter id, but only if the player was logged into Gamecenter).

API: This is such an important topic that I created a separate forum thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/analytics-apis.297217/

Note that the Batch Segmentation API, as described in that post, is where the custom user id (in its current implementation, as an attribute) would come into play. That is, when getting a list of users that fall into a particular segment, we would provide the custom user id so that you could join this data with your existing systems.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015