Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Uninstalling does not delete the Unity version folder and Uninstall.exe file on UH 2.3.2

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by AlanMattano, May 27, 2020.

1. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

I'm using Unity Hub 2.3.2 on Windows 10
    After Uninstalling a Unity version, the Hub does not delete the Unistal file.
    For example uninstalling Unity 2017.4.39f1, the folder "Editor" and the file Uninstall.exe

2. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Hello @AlanMattano !

Did you do the uninstall through the hub or manually via the uninstaller in the editor. And is the editor installed through the hub or manually too ?

3. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

through the Unity Hub 2.3.2 (I presume also 2.3.1 was making this)

Through the hub

Also, the Hub is installed using the Hub update.
    And I do this since Hub 1 beta.

Envirement: Windows 10 64Mb (As a normal user with no administration rights).

Info: The hub asks me for administration rights (as it should do) and I give it to it with no problem.

Note: It is only recently that we start doing this. I did not change my antivirus setup recently. Or another setup recently.
    Clue: In general (now that this bug pops up) I delete the Uninstall.exe file and the folders manually. But today trying to delete these files, I notice that one Uninstall.exe was not allowed to delete also after giving administration rights.
    I press delete, Windows ask for administrative rights. I give admin rights to delete it and this window pops up

upload_2020-5-27_12-50-52.png

And If I give full control to my user over this folder
    an error occurs. (A windows bug?)

upload_2020-5-27_12-43-36.png

But not always.

Also after restarting Windows.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  4. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

I have never experienced this problem before.

The only problem I can remember using the Hub was, that when uninstalling It was uninstalling the incorrect Unity version. But that was a time ago.

5. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

I tried reproducing your issue on the same OS (Windows 10). But, I was able to delete the editor folder completely by clicking on the uninstall option from the hub. Can you try that for other editors ? Maybe that specific editor you were trying to uninstall has a particular problem. Also please share your hub logs so we can understand better the issue. Thanks for your collaboration !

6. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Yes, the problem is that now

Now is working
    I update 2020.1.0b10 and later I uninstall 2020.1.0b9
    There is no 2020.1.0b9 so is working well.

Clues:
    1. Before I was uninstalling while updating. So: I update to the new version and when it was downloading, I uninstall the old version.
    2. The second different thing is that I updated Windows 10, version 1909 (2)
    Now the Hub is working as expected: Is deleting all the folders and files.

Questions:
    1. What do you mean for "try that for other editors"?
    2. Where do I find hub logs?
    3. Are my hub logs still useful now that is working again?

7. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

1/ I meant try uninstalling other editors (if you have any in the installs tab) because I doubted that maybe the problem is caused by the fact that that specific editor's installer is broken.

2/ For Windows, the hub logs are her : %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\UnityHub\logs

3/ Now that you are unblocked, I don't think we need them but in the future whenever you have such a problem you can report a bug through the hub bug reporter (tray menu >> troubleshooting menu) and the support team will investigate it for you :)

8. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Sorry SAFA if I'm not actively debugging this problem.
    Here there is an Uninstall screenshot of my Control panel Items > Programs and Features

upload_2020-6-18_16-5-16.png

Looks like the Hub is having this issue on my PC. This let me suspect that is my Windows 10 having this issue.
    Do I need to uninstall 2.2.2 manually?