Search Unity

Question Uninstalling and Reinstalling Mobile App Before Each UnityTest?

Discussion in 'Testing & Automation' started by keith_126, Mar 28, 2023.

1. keith_126

keith_126

Hello folks, I'm new to the UTF and am evaluating what is possible as far as automated integration tests go. I've run into a few basic needs that I was able to done with XCUI and Appium in the past, but can't seem to figure out with Unity Test Framework.

For example... uninstalling and reinstalling the app on a mobile device before or after each test case. Another example is backgrounding and foregrounding the app during a test... or even killing and restarting (aka cold-starting) the app during a test.

Based on the fact that I'm finding almost nothing on any of these subjects for UTF, I have the feeling that this sort of behavior is just not supported with UTF. Further, I've tried a few 'hacks', like using command line + 3rd party tools to try things like uninstalling/reinstalling (using ideviceinstaller/adb), or killing the app after a test case (which causes UTF to relaunch the app and start the tests over). These 'work-arounds' seem to just interrupt the UTF flow altogether.

To support these kinds of behaviors in our test automation... I'm guessing I need to look into another automation framework (potentially Appium + AltUnity/AltTester)? I would appreciate any help or ideas around this stuff. This is sort of a last ditch effort on my part before giving up on UTF (at least for the behaviors mentioned above).

Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023