Search Unity

Feedback "Uninstall" never completes due to screwed up permissions during install

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Peter77, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I installed Unity 2018.4.4f1 through the HUB a while ago. Today I wanted to uninstall it, because I just installed a newer version.

I hit the 2018.4.4f1 "Uninstall" button in the "..." drop-down and Unity HUB started to uninstall. After about an hour and still uninstalling, I thought something doesn't seem right here. A regular uninstall through the "uninstaller.exe" normally takes maybe a minute.

Looking at the installation directory shows HUB uninstalled everything than two .h files.

upload_2019-7-28_6-52-27.png

Trying to delete the file through Windows Explorer shows this issue:

upload_2019-7-28_6-58-12.png

I'm a local admin on this PC though. Whatever Unity HUB installed earlier, seemed to have messed up permissions.

Checking the permissions for the file shows:

upload_2019-7-28_7-0-1.png

Clicking the "Continue" buttons shows:

upload_2019-7-28_7-0-24.png

Is this a known issue? Can I expect that future HUB versions fix those permission issues of earlier installed Unity versions?

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

You don't say what modules you installed with it.

Peter77 likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

I just installed Unity 2018.4.4f1 twice (through the download archive page since it's not in the Hub) and deinstalled it twice as well: not one problem with the files you mention; nothing remains after deinstallation.

I'm the admin of my computer, running on Windows 7 SP1, up to date.

Maybe you need to make sure your Windows is not broken and verify your F drive. :)

Peter77 likes this.
  4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Thanks for your reply and help!

I installed the "Windows Build Support (IL2CPP)" module only. I'm using Windows 10.

Hmm I see, it's worth a try. Thanks for the tip! If a new 2018.4 version is released, I uninstall the current one and then see if it causes the same issue.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm going to try again after installing this module. It could be the culprit.

Edit: you should install 2018.4.4f1 without that module and see what happens when you deinstall it.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Done! Nothing remaining behind after deinstallation. I still think it's a Windows permissions problem. :)

7. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Thanks @APSchmidt for answering! This typically happens when some files were installed through the editor or another process than the Hub. When the Hub doesn't have permission to remove/install in a certain directory it should ask for permission though. Did you install all related Unity modules through the Hub?

Cheers,

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

The question is for @Peter77; he said:
    ;)

AbrahamDUnity likes this.