Search Unity

UniLOD BETA: Level-of-detail and streaming support [UPDATE]

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by BearishSun, Mar 3, 2010.

1. BearishSun

BearishSun

If you download CUDA off nVidias site it comes with a bunch of helpful .pdfs for getting started. Then you can create a native .dll and use it as a Unity plugin as you would any other plugin.

Once I'm done with the project I might post the code, but right now I can't sorry.

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

You can use CUDA using any DLL / Bundle you want, the only requirement is that you make it a plugin and that it runs independent of unity in an own thread, offering the information upon request as function return for example. The same as you can use any other plugin.

Just to be sure: I'm talking about real plugins here so a native dll, not some .NET code, so you need Unity Pro and you must target standalone windows / osx targeting

3. rockysam888

rockysam888

(bookmarked)

4. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hmm, why isnt this on the Asset Store?

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

It never exited beta unhappily and I'm still not sure it fully works with U3 as it was for Unity 2.x

6. sn4k3

sn4k3

For those having this problem, recompiling the .dll file will fix it like BearishSun said. Just did it

Thank you for this awsome tool :D

7. Anthony85

Anthony85

This looks like an interesting tool, i'll be sure to try it out as soon as i can (I just downloaded and installed the indie version), can't test it now, since it's 5 am and i gotta get to bed

8. darkben

darkben

how much of this works with a mac and not with unity pro? just checking.

9. teamwhitesnow

teamwhitesnow

Does unilod work with unity 3? someone on another thread said that it didn't

10. Dreamora

Dreamora

There are some problems as far as I saw on a test.

@darkben: generating the lod levels is windows only (relies on D3DX progressive meshes I think) and without unity pro you can naturally not use asset bundle streaming and async loading, only resource instantiation

11. teamwhitesnow

teamwhitesnow

ok thanks and in theory this tool is supposed to keep a game from being slow and/or keep a good frame rate?

12. wkmccoy

wkmccoy

I am working in E-learning and we use super HI-RES models, so this is exactly what I have been looking for in creating a course that needs the Hi-res when your standing right in front of it, but after a few feet away you can start to go down in detail. Unity is pretty amazing as it is, but this should really help to keep the frame rates above 25-30. When I say Hi-res, I mean millions of verts! I will let you know how it works for me.

13. Deoxyz

Deoxyz

Hi,

Is there a way to simplify a Unity mesh instead of giving a gameobject wich is your obj/fbx/...?
    Before I knew Unilod, I wrote my own script to combine meshes into a unity mesh.
    Now I want to simplify the mesh with your script, but Unilod doesn't accept it.(because it is not a gameobject)

Console:
    Do you or does someone else know how I can do this with a Unity mesh?
    Thanks in advance!

14. Dreamora

Dreamora

Its possible yes to simplify a mesh but good algorithms are rare and patented. UniLOD does not offer any such capability on its own at all, it uses the D3DX Progressive Mesh capability to let DirectX do it, thats why its not present on osx as OpenGL is lacking on that end.

15. Deoxyz

Deoxyz

Ok, thanks for the info.

I managed to get it working with a given mesh instead of a gameobject. I downloaded the source code and changed some things.
    The only problem now are UV2's :s
    If I apply my Low or Medium mesh to the object, then the lightmaps are messed up. This is because the UV2 coordinates are wrong.

When I look into 'MeshSimplify.cs' I see that he uses [DllImport("DXMeshCombine")]. I added some UV2 calculations almost like the UV calculations, but I don't know how I use it with the 'DXMeshCombine' stuff. Does someone maybe know how I can add this in the C++ solution? And how can I make a DLL of it again?

16. DamianSpawn

DamianSpawn

Very interesting, will definitely take a look at this, thanks!
    One question, are the LOD levels of one object loaded all at once, or separately when needed ?

17. heisemoshengren

heisemoshengren

Tranks! You are great!

18. duke

duke

Making LOD's is a whole artform on it's own. Just keep in mind that each LOD should be half the polys of the last. Games with decent view distances (Crytek games, BF series) have about 6 LOD's - at some point, many of them switch to a baked texture sheet.

Trying to come up with an automated solution to this will just lead to cries that it doesn't work.

19. limdingwen

limdingwen

It messed up my dlls.... uninstalled.

20. cummings9306

cummings9306

My problem is not efficiency in texturing, but interior lighting. Here is a link to a project that I just did. If you can, walk inside the building through the front doors. Because there are a lot of lights, the web quality is greatly diminished. Is there a possibility that your asset package could improve this problem I'm having?

Here's the link:
    http://www.acsflash.cummingsdevelopment.com/Unity/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

21. kmgilbert100

kmgilbert100

bump is there anything better now or is this top notch

22. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

23. ilkeryuksel

ilkeryuksel

Is there any update?
    3.5 fixed?
    Thanks.

24. Dreamora

Dreamora

The project was never updated to Unity 3.0 at all to my knowledge

25. ilkeryuksel

ilkeryuksel

3.5.0f5
    prefab creator ERROR:

Please help me!?

Attached Files:

26. Dreamora

Dreamora

that means you must go to the texture in the project tab, change it to type advanced and enable the get / set pixels checkbox. otherwise its not readable

27. ilkeryuksel

ilkeryuksel

Thank you for all dreamora :)

28. bb0x

bb0x

This is pretty sweet, though for some reason whenenver I generate LoD's with this tool the normal map on the generated meshes seem to be inverted.

I havent figured out a way to open the meshes that are generated with the LoD simplification tool as they save out as .asset files. Not being able to open them I was not able to determine the exact problem.

Some help, or a possible fix would be appreciated. =]

Thanks for the awesome free tool btw!

29. warkarma

warkarma

The generator is even more broken with 3.5.2f :( It really needs an update.

30. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist