Search Unity

UniKnowledge

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Armagon, Jul 16, 2009.

1. mcarr1973

mcarr1973

Hello All,

I created a tutorial for this contest which you can view at

http://unitytutorials.com/TriggerCameras.mov

or You Can Download the Video Here for Better Quality :)

http://unitytutorials.com/triggercamera.zip

137 MB

Trigger Camera Views

Basically it shows you how to set up a Trigger which will do various things like show GUI buttons when you enter that trigger and it will show you how to trigger different camera views.

The example I use in this tutorial shows an example of:

Lets say you have a Control Room in your Game inside of the Control room you have a security desk with multiple Cameras as soon as you Trigger or get close to this central monitoring security desk the GUI functions will appear giving you the option to lets say view different cameras around your level. You could sneak a peak at the Parking lot, Boiler room, or even up on the roof to see what enemies of other opponents are doing.

It has many different uses the main thing is that you dont have to use it for this situation you can use it for many other situations I just wanted to show you some neat little tricks especially if your a new comer to unity

I sure hope you enjoy it

I dont expect to win but even though the prizes are awesome and Im still using the indie version lol but I just wanted to help the contest.

Sincerely,
    Mcarr1973

2. Armagon

Armagon

We are very close to the deadline. Excited? :roll:

3. free60groups

free60groups

Hi,

I'm submitting a tutorial on how to shoot a weapon. It shows how to create a muzzle flash, how to use ray-casting to detect where the bullet will hit, and use the ray-casting information to instantiate an explosion. The tutorial will also show you why I used the method I used and the draw backs to it as well.

You can view it on the unitytutorials website here

http://unitytutorials.com/MuzzleComplete.mov

4. flaminghairball

flaminghairball

Why yes, I am. My tutorial seems to be coming along - I should have it in by around noon on the 14th.

5. Ehren

Ehren

6. flaminghairball

flaminghairball

7. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Thanks a lot everyone who made suggestions on my tutorial, as well as the guys at #unity3d for the help provided. Affortunately I could not finish it in time. I will continue working on it and once it's finished I'll post it in teaching section. Good luck to the participants :)

If someone feels like giving more suggestions, I keep on adding new chapters (5 so far). Please feel comfortable to comment them :)
    http://ippomed.com/wordpressmu/

8. hs1S

hs1S

Ok, the deadline ended...

9. sandolkakos

sandolkakos

Thanks very much to all peoples that have shared yours Tutorials and Assets.

10. Zylex

Zylex

Good job to everyone who submitted their tutorial!

So when does the voting end and start?

11. Armagon

Armagon

12. Lab013

Lab013

How long will the voting last?

13. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

I'd like to see the tutorial "Evac City in Unity by DavidLancaster" - but it appears that the tutorial isnt available - so its pointless considering it.

14. project

project

Hello,

Unfortunately our servers are down :( I seriously apologize for this inconvenience and delay but they should be back up today. I'll write back as soon as they are back up.

Then you will be able to see Evac City, The Muzzle Flash, and the Trigger Cameras Tutorials.

I also apologize to the users who have their tutorials posted on our site. They should be back up today. Im really sorry guys its just bad timing.

It may be time to find a new hosting company.

Sincerely,
    UnityTutorials

15. rouhee

rouhee

Good luck everyone!

Let's hope this doesn't end up "who has the most friends" -contest.

16. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Yea, that's why I hoped the voting would be via the unity forums, at least this requires a forum account so it would take far more effort to vote maliciously. I don't think polldaddy had any advantages like IP/time logs of the voting?

17. Zylex

Zylex

I agree with Rouhee and Leepo, with the current system everybody is allowed to vote without even being involved with Unity. That means that you can just ask all your friends and win this competition without people basing the votes on the actual tutorials.

Therefore I would like to see an Unity forum poll since it only allows Unity forum users to vote. The current system is unfair and the one who can get the most people to vote will probably win.

Anyhow good luck all!

18. project

project

I also agree with the 2 gentlemen above and think its fair to do the polling inside of the Unity Forums. ;)

19. Ehren

Ehren

It might also be a good idea to include a reminder of the contest criteria, instead of just asking "What's the best game example?"

Some people might interpret that as "What's the best game?" Which would obviously result in a landslide for Intergalactic Sheep Pong. :wink:

Ehren

20. Armagon

Armagon

The voting ends October 25. Regarding voting protection, i can't say which protection is being used due to obvious reasons, but they are being used. :wink:

Unfortunately, i had to create a PollDaddy poll because the Unity forums don't allow me to create polls.

21. Zylex

Zylex

I really think you should contact a moderator to ask if he can get a poll on the Unity forum up for you.

This system with PollDaddy won't work fair. I'm sure you've got some sort of protection but you can't protect against proxy's, it's hard to prove that someone actually used proxy's. Also the way voting currently is just how many people you are able to convince to vote on your tutorial, no matter what your tutorial looks like people will just vote if you are able to convince them. Someone could just post on forums and ask as much as people as possible to vote without the people even knowing what they are voting for! This is because PollDaddy is just a public vote and not a voting amongst developers.

I did not join this contest to end up in a who has the most friends contest. I want a fair contest with people who actually know what they are votig for.

I am sure HiggyB or any other moderator could help you out with setting up a poll.

I hope you understand my(and probably others) concern about the current voting system.

22. Discord

Discord

Why don't you just open a new thread and add a poll to it? It's not too terribly hard.

23. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

+1, or PM me if you want help here but that might also be rough as you'll lose whatever votes you have already.

24. Eggyolk

Eggyolk

Between 11:30AM and 12:30PM central daylight time, I have witnessed Soccer Game by TimViana rise from 60 to 500 votes. I started recording him after about twenty minutes of this, and at peak during this hour, he achieved 50 votes in 1 minute and 36 seconds, Almost all of the total votes of the next leading competitor.

I have no objection to people posting on Facebook or other personal media locations to get their friends to vote. This is clearly beyond that though, The only way to achieve these speeds is through a major news source post or IP switching to multivote yourself.

It is your contest, so research as you wish, but it is my personal belief that TimViana is guilty of Rigging this competition, and should face the punishment of your choice.

25. hs1S

hs1S

Someone did it just to take away my entry from this competition, now, how can I know how many real votes my entry, and others, had?

26. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

@EggYolk: you're welcome to join and participate on these forums but it is bad form to come on and cast accusations like that. You have no way of knowing whether Tim is the man behind this versus someone random just trying to jack things up. So please hold back those accusations without evidence, thanks.

At this point as a sponsor I worry that voting has gone awry as that voting distribution really does indicate something is up (sorry Tim, no slight on you or your project). Armagon, please PM me if you want to get a poll set-up here on the forums instead.

27. Armagon

Armagon

We can't create new polls. Just new threads. I'll be contacting HiggyB for further information.

28. Eggyolk

Eggyolk

My apologies. I should have introduced myself. I am a friend of the creator of Bubble Buster, and I was quite excited for him when he had a chance at winning, and then was annoyed when I saw the voting become so lopsided. I should have looked for better evidence for putting blame on someone first. So my apologies to you as well Tim.

29. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

FWIW, the Showcase area was set with different permissions regarding poll creation so Armagon really couldn't make one here. After a quick PM from him I've changed that so he can now create one here (which I'm sure he's about to do!). :)

@EggYolk: thanks for the above, let's get this poll thing sorted and let everyone get a fair run at things! :)

30. flaminghairball

flaminghairball

I kind of find this hard to believe anyway, because I don't see how it would be possible to switch your IP and vote once every 2 seconds.

31. hs1S

hs1S

I sent the poll link to my university email group and asked to people take a look at my project and vote if they liked it .

32. rouhee

rouhee

I hate to bring this point up, but everyone who asked their friends to vote, does your friend(s) have Unity to play with or is the friend even familiar with the product?

The contest in the Wiki says:
    "This contest consists of, basically, building an easy-to-understand and well-documented sample game project for Unity users."

I understand it would be cool to win a contest and have all the cool prizes, but c'mon guys, think about it for a sec. And if people don't like my entry, that'll be fine to me. I'll give'em to the teaching section.

33. Ehren

Ehren

Maybe it would have been better to have a panel of judges.

34. rouhee

rouhee

I'll vote for that :D

35. flaminghairball

flaminghairball

+1 for that. :)

36. haste

haste

+1 for panel of judges!

37. Superflat

Superflat

I say give it a weeks extension while the voting/judging is fixed. I'd like to see some of the unfinished gems come out of the woodworks like The Underminer from www.unity-tutorials.com. Some gold in there, literally.

Polls are dodgy anyhow, so many ways to mess with votes. Best to get some judges from Unity3D themselves and have them select a tutorial!

Can't think of anyone else more qualified!

38. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

In my opinion, it is quite difficult to find a "fair" formula for the voting (nothing is "fair" for all). On the other hand I have considered this contest as something deeper than a race for the prizes. It is an opportunity to share and to showcase not only programming skills but ethos as well. If someone (and certainly I don't personalise it for Tim or anybody else) is found "cheating", the cost for the public image (which can lead to colaborations, contracts etc), is far greater than the cost of the prizes. After all, someone can buy a UnityPro license. You can't buy people's appreciation though and in the long term this is what counts. I hope that the tension about the voting will resolve quickly and I believe that everybody will take what deserves. Good luck and many thanks to all participants :)

39. flaminghairball

flaminghairball

I completely agree with the two above posts.

40. flaminghairball

flaminghairball

41. Lab013

Lab013

I also think a panel of judges would be the most fair. Users probably won't check out each project, but judges would be able to check out each project. A panel of judges (assuming GOOD judges [which I'm sure you guys could get {heck maybe even the sponsors if they're willing}]) would assure that there is a steady judging, comparing each project with a cool head to the next project.

If we don't get a panel of judges, please do not use a poll site which is cookie based in the vote tracking.

Just my two cents.

42. rouhee

rouhee

:D Just tested the same. The polldaddy is out of the question! User can disable cookies and give as many votes as he/she likes. I just gave myself 100 votes in few minutes.

43. Armagon

Armagon

44. project

project

Hello everyone,

Im sorry for the delay but our site and servers are now back up :)

So you can now view some of the tutorials that could not be viewed before like:

Evac City in Unity by DavidLancaster
    Muzzle Flash by free60groups
    Trigger Cameras by mcarr1973

I seriously apologize to the above members for the delay and the community as well.

Sincerely,
    UnityTutorials

45. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

Its looking like its fallen over again....

46. janoonk

janoonk

Thanks to you all for making these tutorials! I'll be looking at it this weekend. Could take a while :)

47. project

project

Hello AbsoluteBreeze,

Please try again Ive just checked and everything seems to be working fine :)

Where are you getting the link?:
    http://www.unitytutorials.com/flashcomm.php

What are you looking for? Please PM me because this space is for the contest.

Sincerely,
    UnityTutorials

48. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

It was coming up in a big red box where the videos should be.

49. DavidLancaster

DavidLancaster

You got a tricky one on your hands :) Panel of Judges seems like the best option.

50. project

project

Hello AbsoluteBreeze,

It is for sure up now :D that was the fmpeg which has been re-installed Game on my friend we are back.

UnityTutorials