Search Unity

UniKnowledge

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Armagon, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Digitalos

Digitalos

Well I'm out, I didn't realise you -had- to make a simple game.

2. kodagames

kodagames

Hi,

I have a quick question about the contest.

Are we required to create a whole game tutorial or a tutorial for a particular aspect?

The reason Im asking is because it would take endless hours and weeks to create a tutorial for a whole game.

But I could create a tutorial on how to achieve something in a game that gamers might like and a tutorial for setting something up?

Do you know what I mean?

I love the contest idea but simply cant do a whole game but I can contribute a tutorial for a certain aspect of a game.

I dont want to be disqualified because I cant create a tutorial for a whole game.

So Please let me know? so I know if I should enter or not?

Cheers,
    zeek

3. Digitalos

Digitalos

I am under the impression that you have to create a complete working game, it doesn't have to be a huge game, or anything like that, but from what I've been told it does need to be a game.

4. Armagon

Armagon

Guys, you don't have to make a complete game. You have to make a sample project. This means:

• That you must have a working project, with complete gameplay (a racing game? a tennis game? an online shooter?
    • That you must teach people how you did that (text tutorials? video tutorials? both? slideshow? etc.)
    • You don't need models, textures, menus or anything. Cubes and spheres are enough to prototype gameplay and explain how things work, and that's the idea

You guys seem to be missing the whole point of the contest, which is: Create sample projects that demonstrate how your game prototype work, in order to teach people how to do it.

So, please, re-read the contest description!

5. Digitalos

Digitalos

What?!

I asked you this the other day, and you said my entry wasn't valid and that it had to be a game! I did read the description, but and it says:

And then not one line later:

It's like, don't make a game, but make sure you focus on gameplay.

... and then in your post:

How about, you and whoever else make your minds up, and then let us know. >_<!

6. defmech

defmech

I guess the way he worded it could be interpreted differently. To me, the text you quoted reads as him asking you to focus on making sure your explanation and tutorial is the focus, not the actual game itself. The whole point is to make a project that will help everyone else learn, not to make a great finished game. I don't actually see anything contradictory there.

7. Armagon

Armagon

I guess you guys are confused. A complete games means a complete game. With a story, models, textures, menus, etc.

A sample project is just a proof of concept. For a tennis game, two squares hitting a ball in a 3D plane, with points, ball out, ball in...

8. Digitalos

Digitalos

The problem I have is that it says:
    and

I don't really care which it is, I would just like it to be very clear, which it is.

It sounds like from that, you want something that plays well, rather than something that is informative. *shrugs*

9. Armagon

Armagon

Of course. A Pong Tutorial that does not play well will lose to a Breakout Tutorial that plays perfectly well. Same thing, for example, for racing examples. If the car has terrible physics and can't be controlled correctly, it doesn't matter if you explained well, because you explained well how to do things wrong.

Good gameplay and teaching walk side by side in order to win this contest.

10. Digitalos

Digitalos

Ok well, I'm not really sure mine -has- gameplay, as it's a management system - but I will submit it anyhow and if you think it's not eligible you can axe it and I will cry myself to sleep. ;)

Edit: I've just implemented a very small area where you can play with the system, so hopefully that is all good. Going to prettify it a bit and will post in the next few days. :)

11. hs1S

hs1S

My tutorial is about soccer game, the game is almost complete. I have to add some more gameplay elements, like corner-kick, throw-in, free-kick, a goal keeper simple AI and fix some bugs.

12. Armagon

Armagon

Whoa, soccer game? Sounds pretty difficult to implement, specially AI. Great addition!

13. hs1S

hs1S

I am keeping it simple. I had posted a link to an alpha version project, but I removed 'cause I think it isn't good enough yet.

14. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

I decided to make a tutorial of a Frogger clone.
    The game is almost done, but much more work is needed on the documentation.
    Some questions:
    1.Can I post the links of the tutorials while I make them (eg part 1 etc), or I should post the tutorials after I finish them?
    2.I should post the links here or somewhere else ?
    I think the idea of this contest is great and I'm looking forward to learn from the tutorials of the other participants (hope to clarify for myself topics as networking and multiplayer, grey areas for noobs like me). Also, I hope that my horrible english will make sense :wink:

15. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

I've wrapped up my tutorial and am releasing it to the public. Suggestions&feedback is still welcome and I'll probably still update the document here and there a bit before the UniKnowledge deadline.

Download&details here

16. hogus

hogus

Looking good Leepo,

I considered doing a tutorial, even developed a small game for it. But unfortunately I had to give training this month, so I didn't really have the time for the documentation around it (which is really the important part).

I hope there is a next-time and that I hear about it early enough.

Looking forward to seeing all the completed entries!

17. Armagon

Armagon

Yes, you can.

You can post it here and in the Teaching section, as other members already did.

18. Armagon

Armagon

Just to let all interested people and participants: deadline is close!

19. hs1S

hs1S

As I had several personal problems, I will not complete my tutorial about soccer game in time, but the project will be open source when I finish it.

20. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

I'm afraid mine won't be done in time either. Finishing the entry without documentation is taking enough time already.

21. Armagon

Armagon

Would you guys need a deadline extension?

22. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Ideally. At least around the end of the Unity Awards. (The game won't even be finished until then, anyway....)

About a week after the UA deadline would be perfect. Once I can say I'm done, I can focus on pure documentation.

23. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Oh no extension please, can't hold off curiousness any longer :eek:

24. haste

haste

I, as a new user of Unity, would like to see the entry of GargerathSunman and all the others, who can not supply their work on time. What i have seen in the thread so far is invaluable (Leepo your example project is great). Please, keep it coming.

25. hs1S

hs1S

Maybe I finish it in time, but with less features completed.

26. Digitalos

Digitalos

Mine is coming, I actually finished it about 3 weeks ago, and then asked a couple of better coders than I to preview it and make sure I've haven't told horrendous lies - as I've only been coding for 4 months. ;) But so far no word from them, so I'm just prettifying up the doc and will post in the next day or so. :)

I'm not super keen on an extension for much the same reason as Leepo and also entries that don't make it, can still be released on the wiki/forum regardless. It doesn't prevent them from being released. That is, unless there are < 10 entries total.

27. hs1S

hs1S

28. Lab013

Lab013

Looked at the PDF, your project looks great! Is there any way we could get a .zip compression? (my .rar decompresser has ... issues).

29. hs1S

hs1S

30. Lab013

Lab013

31. hs1S

hs1S

32. Armagon

Armagon

We do have too few entries for the contest (less than 10), what makes me a little sad after so much work dedicated to this. But what we have is amazing. Quality beats quantity, ain't it? :roll:

Anyway, i'm proposing to extend the deadline for 2 weeks. Do you guys believe that this would be enough to deliver your entries? Please, let me know. This decision should be fair for everyone.

33. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

I'm afraid not. Development has been taking longer than expected, so I'll probably end up using 100% of the time on finishing the game.

I'll more than likely release something on it after the deadline is passed, though. It won't be too soon, but it will come.

34. hs1S

hs1S

Could I format my pc to reinstall unity trial version? So I could write a better tutorial and make a better code.

35. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Please do not post questions on our forums asking for tips on how to violate our free trial policy. At a minimum, do the right thing and write us (sales@unity3d.com) requesting a trial extension if that's what you need.

36. hs1S

hs1S

:oops: :oops: :oops: Thx HiggyB!

37. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

It is a very good idea. Of course it is unfair for the persons who already managed to complete their entries, since more competition is not on their benefit. I would respect it if someone else disagrees. By the way, your tutorials are really nice guys, keep it up :D
    I will definitely submit my entry, regardless if it is eligible to participate to the contest or not. (If I could only finish it :oops: )
    I have set up a fairly basic blog where I plan to post my submission, at http://ippomed.com/wordpress/
    Don't enter http://ippomed.com because you will be directed to my other blog (funny videos, totally unrelated to unity3d)

38. maxwelldoggums

maxwelldoggums

39. DavidLancaster

DavidLancaster

Wow just found out about this contest 1 day before the deadline! Really great timing, thanks to Michael from Unity Tutorials. This game was developed by myself and Daniel Wilkinson.

Playable Game:
    http://www.wooglie.com/playgame.php?gameID=85

Youtube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IATV-kwKGk

Tutorial:
    http://www.unitytutorials.com/document/298/how-to-make-a-game-similar-to-evac-city-in-unity3d
    or
    http://www.rebelplanetcreations.com/downloads/Other/Tutorials/HowToMakeAGameInUnity3D.pdf

Myself and Dan really don't want to miss the deadline for this contest.

I am in an Australian timezone. Please let me know if anything is missing or required to enter.

The game has also been submitted to UA 2009. If that conflicts with anything please let me know.

Thank you!

David Lancaster

40. Armagon

Armagon

I just like to announce that we will be extending the contest deadline to October 14. This will give an extra time for people still finishing their entries. So, please, hurry up guys!

Current Entries

Bubble Burster by Lab013
    http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=192887#192887

Unity Networking by Leepo
    http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=201796#201796

Soccer Game by TimViana
    http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=206970#206970

Car Tutorial by Maxwelldoggums
    http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=207464#207464

Evac City in Unity by DavidLancaster
    http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=207511#207511

41. hs1S

hs1S

Great! I think I will make an AI script to control the goalkeeper, fix some bugs and make a better tutorial, then I will update the final version of my toturial.

42. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Well, great news! The first part of the tutorial is finished (nothing spectacular, just a sort of introduction).
    I still have some work on part 2 (creation of the backgrounds)but hopefully it will be out by tomorrow. It will be probably a 7 part novice to intermediate level tutorial, scripted in javascript.Hopefully. Anyway, if you want to check it out, follow the link http://ippomed.com/wordpressmu

43. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

Well, I consider this. With my zero coding scripting skills I managed to put together a bit of gameplay and been satisfied with the result. I can imagine this, or any idea, can really take off with Unity if someone with an inclination to code teams up with an artist. All you need is pretty much this. And will to do it :)

I started tonight documenting what I did awhile back, when Unity came for Windows, don't expect some amazing stuff, everything is stock code/script coming with Unity or, in any case, available in the Wiki or in the Documentation. I only updated the sentry gun model, take a look at the little guy:

Sure enough, I wanted to add steam to the iron foe but I couldn't make those particles move around with the model. No muzzles, nothing fancy (altough muzzles will be explain on the player weapon part). You got to understand I am doing this in whatever free time I have left after a killer day job.

44. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Part 2 is out and I try to polish a little bit my unity blog. I also try to polish my engrish (english) but this is far more difficult. It may seem all greek to you because I am Greek ! If you feel that something doesn't make sense (or is conceptually wrong), I surely would appreciate to pm me. Anyway, here is the link again http://ippomed.com/wordpressmu/
    Any suggestions are appreciated, in the next days comes part 3, where we will discuss the camera settings.

45. Wodger

Wodger

46. Zylex

Zylex

I'm hereby submitting my UniKnowledge entry titled "Constructor example". It showcases a few unique features such as building a level in-game, starting/stopping simulation and finally saving that same level in a data string (via playerprefs).

The example features a project folder and a one page document.

See the Teaching topic for more details&downloads.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=210151#210151

47. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

48. rouhee

rouhee

Here is my entry. It is two different projects, but i'll distribute them in the same. The game itself don't look much, but it cover some good basics.

Brizzle Puzzle + Procedural Production

Brizzle's files

Project:Assets.zip
    Document:Brizzle.pdf

Procedural Production

Project: Assets.zip

Documents

Part 1: Procedural Graphics in Unity3D - Basic Plane and Texture - Part 1.pdf

Part 2: Procedural Graphics in Unity3D - Basic Plane and Texture - Part 2.pdf

And for people who are just interested. Here are some more advanced Bonus scripts.

Bonus: Procedural Graphics in Unity3D - Bonus.pdf

49. nikko

nikko

Great documents for the beginners! Will help a lot o people I'm sure.

50. Armagon

Armagon

Great entries, guys. 7 more days until deadline, go go go! :p