Search Unity

Uniform lightning, is it possible?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Reloque, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Reloque

Reloque

So, I am making a simple top down game, as an exercise mostly, and I am trying to get a uniform type of lightning going. But it's not really working. This game mixes sprites, text mesh and 3d objects, all seen straight down from the camera. Hard 90 degree angles, top down.

So, the sprites, ignore all lightning it seems. I can deal with that. The text mesh does as well, perhaps, but that's okay.

The hexagons however, are not behaving as I'd expect. They are all identical. Same prefab, same texture. But the ones on the lower left corner are significantly darker then the ones on in the upper right corner. Not what I would expect;

upload_2019-1-11_21-54-40.png

The camera uses an an almost completly black solid color, is orthographic and size 4.

The directional light is not rotated, aimed straight at the scene, and uses an slight off white color. The way I'd expect it to behave is to have equal lightning everywhere. Is something else happening? Is light bouncing of the hex tile because they are 3d models?

The strange thing is, if I delete the directional light from the scene completely; I almost get the ambient equal lightning effect I want;

upload_2019-1-11_21-57-32.png

Just far to dark, and still lit up even though there are no light sources in the scene. I can't really find an ambient slider or such.

As I am a coder first and not an artist, I feel like I am missing some sort of key understanding or such. Anyone have an idea?

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Look at your materials, what kind of shaders are you using? You should switch to Unlit ones.

3. mgear

mgear

ambient color is in Lighting tab
    upload_2019-1-11_23-11-37.png

DraCieLisAWAL likes this.
  4. Reloque

Reloque

I don't really know what that is. How can I tell if a shader is unlit, I've been using the standard shader so far.

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It usually has Unlit in the name :)

Don't use the standard shader.

Reloque likes this.
  6. Reloque

Reloque

I've been trying that out for a bit, but uniform ambient lightning still eludes me. In Blender I could just click a box and set ambient lightning for the whole scene, I'd like to achieve that effect here.

7. Reloque

Reloque

Well, that was enlightening, excuse the pun. But it worked. Thanks :) There is actually a whole set of those. I knew I was missing something obvious.

AcidArrow likes this.